Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)
Rate It
Score:
Ranked #50,084
3.14 | pDev: 17.2%
From:
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

New York, United States
View: Beers
Reviews: 702 | Ratings: 1,505 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
md3kcn from Ohio

2.37/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as a single bottle from a Marathon for $.99. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

L - A nice gold with a one-finger sudsy ivory head.
S - Honey Nut Cheerios. Absolutely nothing else, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just simple.
T - Honey, cereal grain, and a floral sort of finish.
F - Lightly carbonated. Smooth. Medium in body. Almost creamy.
O - I've had this beer before, and I'm happy to finally formally review it! It's a simple brew, but not a really bad one. I'd even go as far as to call it an enjoyable beer! If you like Honey Nut Cheerios, this is just the liquid version of that. An arguably excellent beer pong beer. I really hope they make this in 40s, because that would seriously suit the beer the best. Will buy again, on the basis that this is pretty alright for $.99.

May 21, 2021
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

2.97/5  rDev -5.4%

As for a very affordable beer, I think Genesees freshly updated label and packaging makes the Original Honey Brown lager a bit more attractive for consumers. The same product is inside, a mixture of caramel malts alongside natural honey that gives a smooth but delightful overall finish with nearly no hoppy flavors.

Mar 17, 2021
Sayb from Arizona

3.71/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Nice crisp amber , head dissipates quickly . Fair amount of carbonation bubbles .
S: Nice lager aroma , with a hint of honey .
T: Definite honey and a bit of caramel . Sweet aftertaste .
F: Clean and smooth , Noticeable carbonation .
O: Refreshing brew for kicking back watching a ballgame on a hot summer day .

Dec 17, 2020
DavetotheB from Pennsylvania

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

From a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Date unknown but it was bought shortly after the Genesee rebrand so assuming it's fresh.

Pours a translucent pale yellow with about a finger and a half of white head which dissipates fairly quickly down to nothing. No lacing. Tiny carbonation bubbles rising form the bottom of the glass.

Smells faintly sweet bread and, well, beer. It kind of smells like beer. Like the kind I would sneak a sip of when I was a kid and my dad wasn't looking. Also a bit of alcohol and skunkiness in there as well.

Taste is sweet. Picking up some breadiness but the honey is prominent-quite noticeable. I don't have a problem with the sweetness, but it is pretty powerful.

Mouthfeel is light. Above average carbonation. Not much of an aftertaste.

Overall, it's enjoyable. I remember drinking this under the Dundee label many moons ago. Thought I was pretty sophisticated back then. It's a nice jog down memory lane at a nice price.

Nov 20, 2020
Darkmagus82 from Texas

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
Appearance - The beer pours a deep amber color with a touch of brown and a one finger head of foam. The head fades fast leaving a touch of lace on the sides of the glass.
Smell -The aroma of the brew is of sweet honey and brown bread with a touch of grain. It smells a bit like honey but Cheerios. Quite nice!
Taste -. The taste follows the nose well, beginning with a decent hit of caramel and honey, as well as a bit of grain and toast. As the taste advanced the grain gets a bit more potent while the honey amps up a whole lot. In the end one is left with a sweet but robust honey taste to linger on the tongue.
Mouthfeel - The body of the beer is thicker and creamier for a 4.5 % beer with a carbonation level that is average. For the sweet honey and brown bread flavor the feel is great and makes for a very easy-going drinker.
Overall- This is a flavorful and we'll crafted brew with a nice honey flavor!! Easy drinking and good.

May 26, 2020
Markpalmer from Pennsylvania

2.55/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not what it originally was as JW Dundees when it won awards. It's now just another cheap fizzy Genesee product. Used to be very tasty. It's not bad tasting or at all annoying in any way, has a slight sweet taste but is not thick, in fact it's very watery. Good part is it's dirt cheap, and just good to waste around the campfire.

May 25, 2020
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

See through and more golden than amber with lots of carbonation bubbles, head gone quickly. Nose had some sweet malt or honey to it, not much else. Easy to drink is an understatement as it’s fairly watery but has some bready malt and honey sweetness to it. Not as carbonated as it looked and pretty thin. It ain’t horrible. I’d call this a step up from most adjunct lagers.

Mar 30, 2020
crazyspicychef from Pennsylvania

4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer for the money. A tad on the sweeter side which is ok with me.
Not the same beer as when first debuted in the '90's, but not a bad Genny product.

Dec 27, 2019
TerryMills from Tennessee

2.89/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I like other genesee beers so I hate to knock them but this one is rough..

Cheap booze taste with a imitation honey flavor packet added lol, best I can come up with..

Would not buy again

Dec 14, 2019
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.06/5  rDev -2.5%

(12 oz bottle, E229 12, twist-off crown; purchased cold 6 pack... poured into 500 ml mug)

L: brilliantly-clear, orange-amber liquid (far from brown); weak head on pour, receded in short time... thin collar, no lace

S: ultra-weak aroma intensity... try as I may - and I nearly collapsed a lung in doing so - could not pick up much of anything aside from a whisper-soft toasty caramel biscuit hint... the glass was barely cool to the touch, and just pure weak-itude

T: pretty much a watery malt liquor foundation with a soft kiss of toasty malt syrup (almost a maple aftertaste, but I could be stretching)... very little lingering flavor aside from a vague medium crystal malt character in the back of the palate; weak grassy bitterness builds... subsequent big sips detect a bit more reach to the malt sweetness, but it cuts off hard in the finish

F: rather clean, to a fault... its color and its name had me fooled into expecting more (German, malty, bock-y) body, but alas it's almost too thin and subtly sizzly, but ultimately poundable

O: first time having this in over 20 years; certainly the first time from a glass; couldn't find a pounder can, caved in on a sixer... what an unimpressive taste, nearly devoid of character - had hopes of a lil something more, though it's a decent (cheap) alternative to an AAL... drink it (cold) from the bottle (was a lil more enjoyable that way) and imagine 'honey', 'brown', and 'extra rich' - maybe you can trick your brain (1514)

Sep 23, 2019
Tantonys from Maine

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Basically regular Genesee beer with biscuit or another amber malt and honey flavor added (I doubt real honey). Slight hopping, yet enough for this beer. I agree it is "Extra Rich" yet not from malt, possibly cane or corn. A pleasant beer to enjoy with friends that won't break your wallet.

Jul 27, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz twist off bottle with 0229 in black ink on neck (about 6 months old) poured into a becher glass at fridge temp. The beer pours bright light amber in color with nearly white head. The head settles to a nice cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is faint with a touch of grain and some yeast. The taste is lightly tangy with a touch of toasted malt and little bitterness. There is a light vegetable aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, ok, as in not completely offensive.

Jul 19, 2019
Sgt_1991 from Georgia

4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Honey brown extra rich is one of my go tos. It's cheap down here in SE GA 7.81 for 6 bottles. It's a pretty decent beer. I tried it first in a pic six from a large package store and was pleasantly surprised with how smooth it was. Rich lager on it's own right with a bit of honey sweetness. It's not overly sweet and it's very easy drinking. Very good beer to get cheap locally.

Jun 22, 2019
MoreBeer4me from New Jersey

I first discovered this beer at a bar & grill type place up near Syracuse NY back in the 90's. They had it on tap and we went through a load of pitchers. At the time, I recall really liking it. Was not available then in NJ so I'd buy a few cases and bring it back. My dad loved it. Not sure how this is today although going to pick some up soon.

May 09, 2019
Brook82 from Ohio

3.61/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brownish/gold color with finger width head. Light lacing in pilsner glass. I thought the taste was well balanced with a nice honey presence that blends in without dominating overall taste. Finished with hop bite that was quick and dry. Pleasantly good drinking beer for a paltry $.99 + tax for 24 oz can.

Mar 23, 2019
Korbynlehr from Kentucky

3.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks a lot like watered down coke. Nose is like sugar water. Taste hints at honey, but gives way to a cider line taste. Decent beer, but I’m positive they can improve on it.

Feb 28, 2019
sokol_1993 from California

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Look: quite flat, not bubble at all. Yet, still a creamy head.
Smell: Very honey like, sweet.
Taste: The same as smell, dominantly honey flavor and sweetness. however, taste faded quickly after a short while. Little hoppiness.

An okay beer, too much honey sweetness that is not balanced by hoppiness.

Dec 17, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

This beer was my gateway beer into craft beer, craving the different taste from a macro brewery peaked my interest which led me to a beer like under the kilt. Up until this time I was having a lot of traditional macros without much personality. This one is awesome and I have not had it in a while, might have to hearken back like a glass of Michelob Amber Bock too!

Oct 08, 2018
guynametyler from North Carolina

3.52/5  rDev +12.1%

An absolute gem for the price!!! It's nearly the cheapest beer in my local beer cave and it is better than most on the shelf. It has a classic brown ale taste that would be mistaken for a much pricier brand. It's not hard to make an average brown ale but it's incredible to make such a tasty beer at such a cheap price.

Sep 19, 2018
BruceLombardo from Texas

4.61/5  rDev +46.8%

This is a biased review. I have drank this for over 20 years. It is my favorite beer of all time, and I go out of my way to special order it for my use. I have drank many beers, but this one I search for, going to small liquor store to liquor store. It is a beer I love because of its quirkiness. I like the bubbly feel, I love the smell of a fresh opened bottle, and I enjoy that small sweetness that comes with every experience. Thank you, Dundee. Probst!

Sep 03, 2018
Jelitikasez from Missouri

3.29/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice, simple, straight up beer. Probably great at a grill out.
I had it with spicey Thai, and the sweet, smooth beer was a cool and soothing on my firey tongue.
I say sweet, but not crazy sweet.
For the $6.49 I paid for 6 bottles, I'm very pleased with this summery beer. May go-to again when I need something a bit lighter than my usual chewey stout and porter fare.

Jul 23, 2018
Theguy2doorsdown from Illinois

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's the craft beer you drank in high school, before you knew what craft beer was. It was a great alternative to Red Dog or Ice House. I read some of the reviews and almost lost my shit when I read someone poured it into a tulip glass. I'm drinking a tall boy of it as I write and all I can say is, I've had a lot worse and a lot better.

Jun 08, 2018
Vermont_Northern from Vermont

2.72/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

It gets that high overall because when I was a wee lad drinking underage this beer was a staple. Strange to think that in a state where great beer was everywhere honey brown was a classic cooler filler. Might have had to due with the fact that girls loved it.

May 11, 2018
Cthulhusquid from Washington

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Look: One finger white head, orange-light brown body.

Smell: See below.

Taste: Corn, grains, very mild honey, very mild noble hops. Better than most macro beers.

Feel: Medium-light body, medium-high carbonation. Dry finish.

Apr 08, 2018
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance – Clear, pale amber body with a one finger head.

Aroma – Mostly honey, light caramel malts.

Taste – Sweet, wheat malt, light honey aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – Good body, slightly viscous, a little honey-like coating on the tongue.

Overall – A good beer, solid and easy drinking.

Feb 27, 2018
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 1505 ratings