Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

3.1

Ratings: 1,408 |  Reviews: 668

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.75/5  rDev +53.2%

4.59/5  rDev +48.1%

4.46/5  rDev +43.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +43.5%

This is my go-to, session beer. Just a nice taste that goes down easy.

4.35/5  rDev +40.3%

Generous two-finger pure white, frothy head sits on an effervescent honey-golden body head that simmers to a single finger... sweet honey scents couple with malts in a formidable yet inoffensive pairing that is somewhat distinctive... substantial palate, like an old-school lager, meant for weighty significance moreso than pure drinkability--and yet this could play both the serious actor as well as a party extra six-pack... versatile... malty in the back, honey up front, clove in the middle--the balance is unique and refreshing, like a liquid graham cracker (and I know that does NOT sound appetizing)... safe to say, this rating will well exceed the respect of the masses, but Dundee's Honey Brown was my first beer love and though I've seen many others since 1997, I keep coming back to the sweet maltiness that I drank--sometimes warm to ward away roommates--during those wonderful college days... this was the beer in hand when I innocently talked to my future wife for the first time in Bill Hess's Tavern's basement, the beer I carried in a backpack at Bloomsburg block parties, and still the treat on humid summer nights like this one, inexpensive and casually impressive... I'm biased, but we are allowed one guilty pleasure on this site, I hope--it IS beer, after all

4.31/5  rDev +39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been awhile since I had this one. I have fond memories of it. Pours a beautiful golden brown. Smells of honeysuckle, the mouthful is like chewing toffee candy. This is one of the two honey beers where you can actually taste the honey. Taste is sweet malty, definitely satisfies the sweet tooth. Very drinkable beer. I am rating it higher than most but I like it.

4.25/5  rDev +37.1%

Despite the fact that this beer has a low rating, i think it really great. This is not at all a typical american lager like bud or coors. This beer has a mild sweet taste that is very smooth much like all lagers and an almost creamy aftertaste that will please any mouth. This is one of my favorite session lagers and i highly suggest it.

4.24/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

im a big fan of this

4.2/5  rDev +35.5%

4.19/5  rDev +35.2%

I've been loving me some browns lately, from Moose Drool to New Castle. I found this one in a six pack of bottles with only 4 left in it and I'm so glad I did. It's super-tasty and an excellent session beer(I could drink these for hours). The only downside was the smell, but I dont expect much from browns. This beer just proves that not all beers need a lot of alcohol to be great.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.