Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

3.1

Ratings: 1,408 |  Reviews: 668

1.01/5  rDev -67.4%

1.03/5  rDev -66.8%

I really hate this beer. The honey flavor puts me off right from the start. I never understood why this beer was so popular when it first starting getting hit the shelves in PA. If ICE cold it is still bad but gets way worse as it warms up. I can barely choke one bottle down.

1.25/5  rDev -59.7%

1.33/5  rDev -57.1%

Pretty disappointing. I expected a sweeter newcastle, however this was not the case. Poured a very light bronze with white head that didn't last. Smell was sweet malt, maybe some corn. Taste was very sweet with a bit of honey and a weird after flavor that I couldn't quite place. Overall a very thin sweet beer that I would pass on again.

1.56/5  rDev -49.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Promising pouring, nice color. Aroma was kind of odd ... Like someone sprayed a shot of cheap perfume on top of a lager.

The sweetness wasn't as off-putting as the greasy, tongue-coating mouthfeel ... Feels like I need to grab my tongue-scraper to get the taste out of my mouth. Actually, that's what I'm going to do as soon as soon as I get done drain-pouring almost a full glass. I could only stand four sips of this.

Review in a nutshell:

I like honey.
I like beer.
I do NOT like honey-flavored beer.

1.67/5  rDev -46.1%

Last weekend fellow BA Das Freak showed up with the Dundee craft pack sampler. After tasting the PA,IPA,Porter and Pale Bock Lager I thought we had stumbled onto something above average, then came the Honey Brown Lager. At first I thought it had a funky after taste but it doesn't wait until after. When my dog broke wind I thought I was at a beer pairing in hell. Sorry for the negativity but if I can save one BA from this fate it will have been worth it.

1.68/5  rDev -45.8%

I notice the label now says "Honey Flavored Lager." Flavored? As in "not actually brewed with?" As in "No bees went hungry so you can drink this stuff?" Because there’s very much of a honey "flavor," almost an artificial one, and not much beer flavor. Odd little whiskey and honey note appears midway through, but the sickly honey smell is off-putting. Like I sometimes say, it’s not bad, it’s just not beer! I just can't figure out why this is so widely distributed. Seems to be available nationwide; or at least as far west as Illinois.

Photo of
1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.78/5  rDev -42.6%

Pours a pale not-at-all-brown with a decent head. Honey sweet and slightly malty smell. Buh, the sweetness is way too much. It's not a natural honey flavor, i.e. Dogfish Midas Touch, either. Just sickly sweet with barely any beer taste. Really horrible syrupy mouthfeel. I couldn't finish my pint.

1.81/5  rDev -41.6%

Clear amber color with a generous white head and suprisingly wonderful lace.Mildly sweet to the nose with a thin malt aroma. Finishes clean and crisp with some dryness. To me it tasted like watered down Sprite. A little overboard with the sweetness is and tastes processed. Not an enjoyable beer.

1.82/5  rDev -41.3%

It is one of the flattest beers of its type. I suppose you have to develop a taste for it.
To say it has a watered down taste is an understatement. However, this is a beer that
you either like or you don’t like. My guess is that the more different beers you have tasted, the less you will like Honey Brown lager.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.