Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)
3.12/5
Okay

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 1,422 |  Reviews: 674
2.94/5  rDev -5.8%

This is a decent, fairly enjoyable lager, but very basic, thin, characterless, and not even "brown".

Dark gold, just slightly darker than a normal pale lager, it has rather ugly big bubbles, a medium off-white head that soon vanishes to leave a few foamy bubbles.

The aroma is mostly bland, vague sweet malt. It is primarily grain with hints of honey and toffee.

The taste is very mild but fairly nice, rather like a more full-bodied basic pale lager but with noticeable grain, a hint of pine and hay, hint of brown sugar, and a light but clear alcoholic quality. I noticed no honey in the taste, although as mentioned the aroma had a hint of it. It's mostly sweet with a faint bitterness in the end. Ultimately it's little more than a basic, rather thin, watery pale lager with a light caramel-brown sugar quality. It' fairly drinkable, though.

2.86/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear light amber color with a fluffy white head; decent retention but not much lace

Smell: Hard to pick up much of anything; slightly vegetal and a hint of perfume

Taste: A building sweet flavor that tastes sugary rather than of honey that reaches a crescendo by mid-palate; after the swallow, the finish is clean except for just a hint of the residual sweetness

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Easy to drink, particularly if it is a little sweetness you desire on a hot day; not for me, however

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured into a pint glass

Light honey color with little to no head. Bottle talks of how this is America and we make beer the way we want.

Light smell of malt and a touch of hops.

Very sweet taste with almost no hops to balance. Lots of carbonation keeps it light on the tongue. Honey was more evident as it warmed up abit.

A little too sweet for me. It would be pretty drinkable if it wasn't as sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

It poured golden in color and clear. It had a one finger head that quickly receded into a lite lacing. Lite amounts of carbonation were present.

It had a lite scent of malt, and a touch of floral hops.

It had a malty taste. It was slightly sweet. There was a little astringent alcohol punch to it in the finish. It was medium bodied.

It was a pretty drinkable beer. It has room for improvement. But it is still a quality beverage.

2.65/5  rDev -15.1%

The overwhelming sensation is cloying sweetness and watery mouthfeel. The aroma is that of nuts and honey. Flavor is dominated by a sweetness that is underpinnd by a wandering maltiness. I am glad I tried it but I think it needed more malt dryness and honey aroma and maybe a touch of carawheat.

3.37/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle with no date poured into a Pilsner glass.

A - I looked past the large, loose head which went down to virtually nothing right away to the tasty light amber color which, like the name, resembled honey but not brown.

S - A sweetness from the honey is obviously present but also surrounded by some light hopping and light malts. Crisp sums it up.

T - This amber's sweetness from the honey is good due to its good balance. Maltiness and hops take a back seat to the sweet yet crisp and refreshing flavor.

M - Light, crisp, and refreshing carbonation. Thin and light bodied.

D - An easily drinkable lawnmower beer. Enjoyable is certainly a way to describe this.

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance - Obvious honey color with a very white head which at first pour looked promising but dissipated quickly

Smell - Not to much going on. You get the obvious honey smell but other then that not much

Taste - Nothing. Took a drink and had to take another to make sure I was drinking beer. Upon closer examination you get some sweet maltiness that is also helped by the honey flavor.

Mouthfeel - Almost watery but there is a distinct honey texture that almost sticks to your mouth.

Drinkability - Could easily have more then a few of these in a night. Easy drinker but not much in the way of taste.

1.67/5  rDev -46.5%

Last weekend fellow BA Das Freak showed up with the Dundee craft pack sampler. After tasting the PA,IPA,Porter and Pale Bock Lager I thought we had stumbled onto something above average, then came the Honey Brown Lager. At first I thought it had a funky after taste but it doesn't wait until after. When my dog broke wind I thought I was at a beer pairing in hell. Sorry for the negativity but if I can save one BA from this fate it will have been worth it.

3.64/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the very light brown bottle into my "Second City Chicago" Weizen Glass.

A Very clear body with a honey hue and a head which was at first nice and generous but it dissipated quickly. I was trying to get a big head too.

S Kind of a weak lager but there is also a nice honey, spice smell. Certainly I give it credit for some interesting complexity in a lager.

T Very light tasting lager with that bit of honey that mostly comes in the aftertaste (where I would expect it to since after the lager washes away the honey is left stuck to surfaces in my mouth). Nice, pleasant taste and exactly what one would expect.

M Very light. Only a honey aftertaste brings this back from feeling a lot like water. I think that this is below average for the style as it is listed here on BA but I am not sure that it is an American Amber.

D Excellent, and this is the point. I believe this beer to be made to be drinkable and it delivers.

2.87/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Lighter golden in color. Very clear. Forgot what a filtered lager was like for a while. Head formation is fairly potent, white in color. Dissipates very slowly, going down to a film.

S - Overall a very scentless beer. At best I can detect something that may be close to honey - but I'm not staking y rep on it.

T - Starts off with a dry sweet flavor, which only has a hint of honey flavors. Not bitterness or hops balance. Overall very sweet. Finishes with a honey sweetness. Aftertaste is sugary.

M - Moderate body - not thin or thick. Carbonation is light. Not much for clinging flavors or textures.

D - Easy drinkable beer. So sweet that I would think this has potential as a summer drinker on the deck. ABV is low and manageable.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

appearance: Average no head. Little to no signs of life in the glass. honey colored.

smell: slightly floral, but not much there.

taste: Bold honey taste up front, but quickly, within a second or so, falls away to nothing. After five seconds or so, the malt appears, but seems flimsy and weak.

Mouthfeel: meh. not memorable for being either good or bad.

drinkability: An interesting novelty beer. Shows much promise, but doesn't deliver on it. Worth a try, but not a re-visit.

3.31/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I found this in the Dundee variety pack that I bought at Byrn Mawr Beverage in Brywn Mawr,PA. I poured it into a flared pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a transparent dark brown body. The head is huge with big bubbles, great retention, tan, and with poor lacing.
Smell: The aroma is rather spargy with earthy hoppy.
Taste: The flavors are more or less piney, maybe some citrus, mostly earthy.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is edgy.
Drinkability: This is a rather drinkable beer.
Don't drink and review.

3.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Deep golden and clear into a pint glass with a thin and fleeting half inch of white head, bit of spotty lacing.

Lightly sweet malt on the nose with just a hint of a brown malt/smoke sense in the background. Touch of hops in the mix but the presence is light and covered up with the malt notes.

Taste follows the nose with a light malt being the dominant player. The finish does offer some honey flavor but the carbonation is a bit high initially to appreciate it, and it has a slightly burnt sense to it. Increasingly sweet on the tongue as the beer warms and the carbonation lessens, and that honey flavor while more dominant is a bit too viscous. Might be better direct from the bottle to keep the apparent sweetness at bay.

An OK brew but not one I anticipate revisiting. And not sure why they call it a 'Brown' as the color is golden and the malts are simpler.

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

Part of the Dundee Craft Pack.

I don't find it real appealing when you can hear the head dissolving as if it were soda pop. Within a matter of seconds there's nothing on top. Fast moving carbonation. It's a nice, clear golden color. I went for a second bottle, and did get a marginally better result with the head, so I bumped it up .5.

While it's not exactly like sniffing a pot of honey, the beer does have enough honey character in the aroma to be recognized as such. It's simple and not real strong, and hindered by the awful head retention. A bit grainy.

While having "brown" in the name is misleading, "honey" is not. Has some sweetness, but I definitely wouldn't consider it too much. If you're the kind of person who really dislikes sweetness you might disagree. After the grainy honey sweetness, there's not much else to be found. I honestly wonder if hops were even used here. None to be found. This still tastes pretty good.

Very light bodied. Carbonation is not too overdone. I have a feeling I might find it too much if I drank from the bottle, but pouring it out has solved that problem.

If I look at this as a light lager, I'm pretty pleased. It tastes pleasant, doesn't pack much alcohol, and is light bodied. The price is pretty decent still, although this used to be quite a bit cheaper. It was $4.99 a sixer not that long ago. $11 for a 12 pack is not bad, and it's something the guests won't mind. This serves its purpose well. Off the top of my head, I want to say this is preferable to the similar Leinie's Honeyweiss.

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

I would not call myself an experienced beer drinker at this point but am learning as I go. I originally purchased this brew from pure looks. It looked appealing and I can appreciate a "sweet" beer. I purchased a 6-pack. I had nothing against the beer on the first go. The next night when I decided to polish off the pack, the honey sweetness really kicked in. Now, I do like a brew that is sweet but this one in particular is too strong with the honey. It's drinkability is smooth, more like a light beer. I would not put this in the category of a brown ale. If it were to be this sweet, I would like to see it with more hops to balance it out. It's smell does have a hint of honey but does not brace you for the "honey overload" that it will give you. Good at first but would recommend lighting up on the honey flavor!

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager
High Falls Brewing Co.
Style: American Amber / Red Lager
ABV: 4.50 %
live review 3/13/09, bottle>glass

A 3.5, caramel dark amber honey in color. decent head that did not last to long, very minor lace collar.
S 3.5 - malt and honey dance.
T 3.5 taste follows smell. solid sweet malt notes mixed with honey finish. A hingt of dry finish with a sweet battle back and forth.
MF 3.5 - medium+ carbonation, light body with a full slickness in texture
D 4.0 - I dig this one, I would not call it "brown" but I do like the honey addition. Almost overdone in the honey, but tolerable for 1 or 2 brews.... I would home brew a fuller body less sweet version of this and love it! (This is why I bought it, I am working on a recipe idea ;-)

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%

poured this one out of a 355 ml bottle .

A, light clean amber on the brown side.no froth, some carbonation,specks of lace .

S,of course ,detectible honey and malt slight hops in there as well.

T,this is a smooth honey flavored beer perhaps the best of it`s kind that i tried ,light malt and hops .

M,the honey taste coats your month even after it`s done . the malt and hops are nice.

D, I find this drinkable goes well with pretzels. nothing extraordinary but a nice alternative to a standard lager

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Here's a pretty good domestic beer. It's fairly comparable to Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, but it has more honey flavor than Leinie's, and it's a bit darker. I'd give this beer to somebody who's looking for an alternative to their mainstay American lager.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%

The best part about this is the way it looks. Everything else is just average. It's your run of the mill, assembly line beer. I also think its a little confused. The style listed is an amber, but the beer calls itself a brown. Doesn't look like either or really taste like either. The only thing that saves this offering is the honey adding a touch of character to the nose and taste.

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

A: good large bubble head that disappeared quickly, amber in color

S: a little sweet smelling otherwise unremarkable

T: Clean tasting, for me being in rochester I've had this many times and it seems like the longer you've gone without having it the better it tastes. you can definitely taste the honey, but it is not so overpowering that limits drinkability like other sweet beers.

Overall: Pretty much what it claims to be a relativly sweet lager that is good on occasion

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%

Little to no head, what's there is thin and white. Looks like watered-down honey in a glass.

Unmistakable honey-dumped-in-beer smell. Actually gives a nice mouthfeel--crisp, refreshing. Surprisingly good mouthfeel, considering the look and smell.

I expected this to taste like a shitty American nasty stank beer, with a dollop of honey; but it's surprisingly good. It's definitely sweet, but not overpowering; subtle, it stays in the background.

The finish is simple, but that's not a bad thing. The slightly sweet taste gives way to a very subtle bitter hoppy finish.

The score would be higher it the beer didn't look or smell so crappy. I expected the worst, but this was a good beer.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Clear light golden yellow with a half decent head

S: A malty/honey smell with a little nut at the end

T: Not bad but not to great light malt taste with some honey in there and grains

M: Light and thin with good carbonation

D: Its very drinkable but i dont think i would every buy it agian its just to bland not enough taste

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%

From the 12 fl. oz bottle no. 412325008231 and sampled on Feb. 22, 2009.

A - A mainly honey-amber pour with off-white head.

S - Very sweet and malty. The honey aroma is clearly evident. Smells like Honey Nut Cheerios more than beer.

T - The mouthfeel is thicker than water and vaguely sticky like honey. The taste of honey is the leading flavor. A very sweet beer and mild. Kind of elements that I like.

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

I feel a little bit bad reviewing this so highly but can't help it. I really enjoyed this for some reason. Appearance was light/amber with your average macro lager aroma. The taste however was nicely balanced and pleasant. Nice balance of malt and hops with a bit of sweetness. It wasn't braggot sweet but just a bit of it came through from the honey. Mouthfeel was average and drinkability was good for me because of the taste.

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a medium bronze color with very minimal head, ever so slight lacing, and a lot of carbonation. Aroma of flowers, and something else sweet and slightly fragrant.
Silky and light in the mouth, very smooth, more so then I thought it would be.
Has a sweet taste, beginning and end, smooth, hint of sugar, trouble picking up any honey, however. I feel this beer could be improved upon, but not real bad.

update: this time around the honey really seems to stick out as an aftertaste. fresher batch maybe? still very plain beer with honey thrown in

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.12 out of 5 with 1,422 ratings