Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

3.1

Reviews: 667 | Ratings: 1,404
3.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Half finger head that fades instantly. Amber red color. Almost no smell. Syrupy bland taste. Goes down smooth. Goes down like rootbeer. Barely and carbonation makes it taste thick. It almost leaves no aftertaste. Overall it's a pretty decent beer. I would buy it again.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a finger of off-white head that settles to a sticky thin layer over a clear ambered-straw liquid. Smells saaz hoppy, biscuit malt, light caramel, toasted malt. The saaz spicey hops almost comes across as a tropical character.

Tastes noble hoppy with supporting malt sweet and malt flavor. Hops are earthy, tin-like, with a hallertauer floral finish. Light and clean hop bitter. Malt flavors are beneath the hops, but not much. Toasted grains and mild light-colored caramel. The malt flavor works well with the hop flavor. The malt sweet is thick, somehow, despite the md-light body. Must be the honey, which is noticable, but comes across as like a honey-product that isn't really honey. Overall, this beer comes across as syrupy and becomes wearing. The finish dries with mineral and some help from a modest carbonation.

Fits the American Amber category well in some ways. A bit too sticky for me and the hops were noble, not citrusy/piney American. Judged to style, not my flavor preference.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Before I begin I must make the remark that this beer holds a special place in my heart. This is and always was my mom's favorite beer! So onto the review, I poured this beer into a pint glass so lets begin with this Honey Brown Lager.

Appearance- This beer is a mild brown color. There is just a hint of red in Honey Brown. As I poured this there was a beautiful off white creamy head of about two fingers in height. Much to my dismay though in about one minute the head fully went away to a little thin lace on my glass.

Smell- With my first large whiff I detect very little actually. I can tell this has a hint of honey but not quite as powerful as I would have expected. It has a slight sweet scent to it, but more of just a malt and grainy smell. There is also a slight grassy and Earthy smell to this beer.

Taste- All I really taste is roasted malt. It has only a sense of sweetness only in the fact that it goes down smooth. I do taste a little bit of the grassiness in the beer and really a very faint taste of honey. If it was not in the name I would not even recognize it at all.

Mouthfeel- It has a medium mouthfeel to me for a lager. It is a little heavier than I expected. I am actually impressed with the mouth swirl of this beer. This is honestly the best part of this beer. The mouthfeel is heavier and darker in nature than a typical adjunct lager would be but I definitely enjoy this part.

Overall- This beer is decent. Even with the nostalgia in my heart (and Palate) it is not as good as I remember. However, I have offered this beer to many a women and they really like it which is good for all you craft drinking men out there. I would only recommend this to people experimenting in beers so they can acquire a taste for something a bit more than the typical American adjunct lager.

3.27/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm a big Shiner Bock fan and when I finally tried Dundee's Original Honey Brown Lager, I noticed the similarities. This lead me to do a blind taste test with Shiner Bock. What I learned was they are fairly similar in taste and smell. Shiner Bock is richer and a bit heavier. However, not as much as I had supposed. This led me to edit and downgrade my original review of Shiner Bock. I guess I was reviewing a little too much from my heart. Here are the details of Honey Brown, but some beers are better than the sum of their parts.
Appearance - Not a rich brown, but more of a light amber or dark, reddish gold. Honey Brown looks a little thin.
Smell - Not a lot of aroma at all. There is a slightly sweet smell and an ever so slight smell of earthiness or flint.
Taste - This is the strength of this beer! Honey Brown has a slightly sweet taste of honey or brown sugar with perhaps some caramel thrown in. I definitely do not taste the very sweet flavor that several of the reviewers mention. It is refreshing and I notice it seems more watered down than sweet.
Overall - Shiner Bock is not easy to get where I live, so this can be a more affordable substitute and though the flavor doesn't match Shiner it's not as noticeable if you don't compare them together like I did. It's a refreshing beer with a slight sweet darker taste than any of your macros.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy golden color, produced an average head with average retention and left some lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain and honey. Light in body, easy to drink, base of barley malt, slight hop flavor- beer is thin....not much of a honey flavor however the beer is very sweet. - out of balance in my opinion. Expected a lot more from this cult beer.

2.72/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: From the bottle, the beer pours a dark, clear gold with a fizzy white head. Head retention is so-so at best, and only a small amount of lace is left on the sides of the glass. Little streams of bubbles are clearly visible, indicating a considerable amount of carbonation.

S: Oddly neutral on the nose, with very subtle scents of honey, grain, straw, and grass peeking through briefly.

T: Notes of biscuit, crackers, white bread, caramel, honey, grain, straw, hay, and grass wash across the palate. The finish is dry and clipped with notes of honey and biscuit giving way to straw and grass flavors.

M: Relatively light in body and very dry. Carbonation is extremely crisp and firm. I would dare say that this beer is a bit overcarbonated. Not all that easy to drink.

O: A very mediocre lager, but then I was not expecting much. The honey flavor is very subtle and the beer is poorly balanced. Not entirely unappealing, but I doubt I would ever go out of my way to try this again.

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed the smoothness of this beer. Enjoyable mouthfeel, easy to go down and great smell of roasted malts. It was not too sweet and not too bitter. You can expect the perfect balance between the two. This is the perfect dessert beer and also a great refreshing treat after a hard day of tending to the lawn in the hot summer sun. However, it does taste a little watered down. Definitely could use some more hops to it. The yeast flavors are lacking in this one if you like yeasty beers, but would definitely try again if caught on sale.

2.94/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Copper crystal clear filtered, medium carbonation of fine bubbles, a finger of whitish head.

S: Amber lager chick pea like scent (similar to Fat tire) skunk (even though bottle is brown) coffee, chocolate, medium toasted malts, slight yeastiness. Quite mild.

T: Medium toastedness of an amber lager, quite watery and diluted, little honey with very light sweetness. Wouldn’t have detected the honey without the suggestion in the name. Slight skunk, little chick pea. Very watery. A little metallic. Try hard to breathe it out through your nose to detect a little yeastiness. Get more yeastiness from a Budweiser.

M: Light body, medium high carbonation. Watery.

O: Watery amber beer with little flavour and a slightly above average bottle and name. Not worth the price I paid in China (45yuan for this import). Only like that its from Upstate NY.

2.58/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Very transparent dark burnished gold color, with a fluffy white head that stands well.

S: Metallic scent and nothing else. Highly off-putting.

T: Very mild flavors. At first there is a sharp lemon-like tang, then it's followed by a grain aftertaste. It tastes very watered down.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and light bodied. It's very easy to drink.

O: Overall I was not impressed with this beer. I found it to lack a lot of flavor and the metallic scent was a turn-off. I would not recommend the beer. Not looking forward to the other 5.

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

Cheapest six-pack in the craft-brew section of my local store. I've had this in restaurants, too.
Clear, medium amber color. Not much nose that I can detect (where do tasters come up with all these descriptions??). Head vanishes quickly, leaving no traces. Mouth feel is smooth. Flavor is good, but a bit sweet. More malt than hops -- in fact, I can barely taste hops. Overall, not bad. Don't think I'll be buying this at the store, but I'd choose it in a restaurant if they didn't have anything more interesting.

3.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A: pours with little lacing and is transparent light amber. S: Honey with light wheat. T: Sweet honey front transitioning to light caramel. Taste finishes quickly with little aftertaste. Mouth feel is watery and light. Overall, not bad for the style but the beer lacks depth, complexity, and individuality.

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

My go-to cheap beer. They've got this at every store and every bar around here and it's always super cheap and tastes way better than anything else for the same price. Pours a brown color with off-white head. Malty taste with a hint of honey. This is the perfect beer for a low budget.

2.45/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Light amber and completely transparent. Soda-like head with no retention or lacing. Bread and rice aroma. Adjunct flavor with some wheat flavor. Hint of honey. Sweet character overall. Light body and highly carbonated. Lack luster. Won't be having another.

2.45/5  rDev -21%

A - Pours clear amber with a one finger quickly receding bubbly white head.

S - Toffee, slight honey, slight sweet malt

T - Toffee, slight chocolate, slight honey, metal. Too sweet for me.

M. Medium bodied with medium carbonation

O - Overall, this beer is way too artificial. It's like a tootsie roll soaked in alcohol. I didn't even finish the glass. I wouldn't have it again

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

Amber-golden color, clear. Lots of bubbles rising. Small head. Lacing looks fairly nice on the glass.

Sweet aroma. Mostly malt. A little hints of honey.

Bready up front. Light toasted malts, some honey, slight hint of corn, just a touch of bitterness towards the end. Light bodied. Dry lingering aftertaste.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer is pretty unspectacular. If I had to use one word for it, that word would be "sweet." It has a very subtle sweet (and honestly not unpleasant smell.) It pours a nice full golden amber with a 1 inch or so head and not much lacing. Mouthfeel is a little thin and the aftertaste is just more sweet without a lot of hoppiness. Not horrible at all, but not spectacular either.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

So, somewhat oddly, a few Genesee brews have started showing up around me here in the PNW. As 40+ year resident of the Rochester area, I've been hitting a few as a mental visit back home. I remember when J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown first the market. Here we go.

24oz can poured into straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear light brown color with an inch of off-white head that quickly dissipated and left no lacing. The aroma was mostly a slightly sweet malt scent.

The flavors were pretty much the same, with the added surprise of just a slight bit of a hop tang on the finish. Nothing really notable or terrible. The body was just middle-of-the road between light and medium. Drinkability was good enough, if you're stuck at an event (wedding, graduation, etc) and the choice is between this and the basic BMC-style offerings, you'll be pretty happy old Dundee is around. A decent for what it is, and hell, a 24oz can for under $2 ain't no bad thing.

3.13/5  rDev +1%

This brew brings back memories, I don't think I've had Honey Brown since I was in college more than 15 years ago. 24 ounce tall boy can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold/amber color with an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. The aroma isn't bad at all, but it's very light. It smells like sweet and grainy malt, and some honey. Taste is similar to the aroma (but much stronger). It tastes like sweet/grainy malt, honey, and a bit of caramel. Very sweet tasting beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's smooth and goes down pretty easy. It really isn't too bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't turn down a bottle or can of this.

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was the “craft” beer we served when I worked at Shenaniganz 10+ years ago. Bud Light, Miller Lite, Killian’s Red, and Honey Brown, we could proudly pour a fishbowl if you were feeling adventurous on a Friday night in the burbs. The truth is, it isn’t that bad. There’s some stigma, yeah, and it’s an early adopter of the add-flavors-instead-of-develop-them crew, but you can drink it easily and it could find a decent home in one of those beer cocktails I’ve been hearing so much about.

STYLE: American Amber / Red Lager

ABV: 4.5%

LOOK: Metallic orange and light bodied. The label, it boasts “brewed with honey” … you could expect a little more heft.

NOSE: Gummy bears, candied nuts, honeycomb, challah.

MOUTH: Honey Nut Cheerios and soft sweetness that zips in but lands with a whimper. Lacking depth, it’s served best, I think, in that awkward transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas, lingering sweetness from sweet potato pie but lacking robust winter spices to warm the room.

BA Rating: 72

Hayward Abbey Rating: 76

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

From 06/23/12 notes. Had on tap at 13th Step in New York on the Lower East Side. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a clear medium brown color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet fruits, nuts, toasted malts, roasted malts, burnt malts, fruity malts. A little too sweet, pretty average.

t - Tastes of nuts, too much sweet fruit, toasted malts, burnt malts. Same as the nose, average.

m - Medium body and medium carbonation. Pretty smooth body.

o - Overall a pretty average beer. I found it a little too sweet and having a lot of toasted and burnt malts. Not something I'd probably seek out again.

3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color with a fairly decent white head. The head dissapears quickly with very little lacing.

Smell: Faint malt sweetness.

Taste: Malt sweetness, nutty, slight copper (like a penny might smell or taste), nice zing to it.

This is an awesome session beer. I'ts thirst quenching and still flavorful. I like this beer a lot. A macro drinker could easily like this beer right away.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

This is one of my favorite beers to introduce people into beer that isn't Bud Light.

It's not an amazing one off Imperial Stout or IPA or anything fancy like that, but who can't enjoy a beer like this every now and then?

For a session beer, it's a bit sweet. I don't find myself wanting to have more than 3 or so at a time, because of the sugary sweet flavor.

To someone who is uninitiated, I think that this is a nice session beer, because it's so different, and they're not jaded enough by craft beers to dislike the sweetness at first.

Either way, a good one to keep on hand (or pick up anywhere really, since it's common). One of my more preferred beers from Genesee.

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a dimpled mug.

A – Crystal clear light brown, with a nice two-finger head of white bubbles, which utterly vanished very quickly. Not much lacing.

S – Weak aroma of malt and lager yeast. Result? Smells like “beer”. If you really try, you can get a little whiff of the aforementioned honey.

T – Sweet dextrin-y caramel malt forward, made even sweeter/more cloying with a big blast of artifical tasting honey. Hops are so far in the background to the point of being almost undetectable. Not much else to say here.

M – Thin bodied to the point of being watery, which may actually be a good thing with a beer with these characteristics; any thicker and it would seem syrupy. Prickly carbonation.

O – A dull and kind of low quality malt lager. I wouldn’t turn it down if a free one were handed to me, but I would never buy this either.

A: Nice transparent deep brown color with about a fingers worth of head dissipates down to thin veil around the edges and patches of lace on top.

S: Hints of toasted grain, malt and a very light sweetness from the honey.

T: Really can't taste a honey flavor but i'm getting some maltyness and a toasted caramel and some grain here as well. Nothing really stands out.

M: Medium carbonation, grassy/grainy after taste and a bit of a dry feeling left in the mouth.

O: Kind of average lager, nothing really stands out or puts it ahead of the rest. Would love to try it in a can or on tap to compare.

3.82/5  rDev +23.2%

Honey Brown Lager has a fairly thin, off-white head and a clear, bubbly, honey-colored appearance, with some narrow lacing. It has a mild, sweet, malty aroma. The taste is of sweet bread, a bit o’ honey, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Honey Brown Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a good beer, and it was much better than I expected it to be.

RJT

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.