Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Ratings: 1,411 |  Reviews: 669
3.76/5  rDev +21.3%

A: Nothing special. Just a reddish lager

S: Unremarkable

T: The best part. Nice and full with a sweet aftertaste

M: Not bad, not too thick, not too watery

Pretty good, but this one comes with a warning. It has some nice sweet undertones which make it easy to toss back, although it has a light ABV compared to other sweeter beers like Brown Sugah. Refreshing, tasty, and delicious.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

I used to think that this was one of the best beers on the market, I found out shortly after that I was crazy and started losing a lot of interest in this brew.

Honey brown pours out as a Light brown lager similar to what a Newcastle looks like. The head is thin and fizzy, the smell is lightly toasted. The taste is kind of bland now these days, it used to be a nice roasted sweetness that was pretty easing. The mouthfeel is very light. Overall I thought it used to be better but I guess my tastes changed.

2.31/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Totally clear orange amber with a thin, quickly-disappearing head with little dots of wet, loose lacing.

Smell - Thin and weak, save for a scant malt sweetness.

Taste - light malt sweetness and light honey, with a ricey, macro lager aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation with a light body. Smooth going down, so there's something going for it.

Overall - A pretty measly attempt to seem like a craft beer, when it's nothing but an unimpressive, not-very-pleasant macro lager with sweetener in it.

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

This is a tough category to compete in. There should be a category for "Pale Industrial Slightly Flavored Beer."

Poured from the bottle with a promising head which soon vanishes, leaving the least lacing I've ever seen in a commercial beer. Color is a pale brownish amber. Slight caramel flavor is only good feature, I think. Slightest hint of dishwater taste must be the hops. Too sweet to be refreshing. Insipid is the best short description.

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance:
Very clear light cooper color with little head retention, however I was impressed by the lacing created.

Aroma:
The main smell was of hops but was slightly sour with a faint hint of honey.

Taste:
Highly carbonated with a light body. I do not think the taste is consistent with what is expected given the style and name. I think it taste like burnt grain. The after taste is sweet and dry.

Overall:
Not an impressive beer but not a bad beer either.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Almost a two finger head of cotton looking foam that lasted about as long as a fly in a crowd of frogs. Little lace to this one, just a slight spotting on the side of my mug. Color is a 9 on the SRM beer color chart. No haze and plenty of little bubbles rising to the top. Smell has the fragrances of clover honey, dried wheat and oats, cooked corn and malt. Taste is slightly sweet, with flavors of malt, honey, slight spices, and toasted wheat. Mouthfeel is crisp, great zing from the carbonation, medium creaminess, and a freshness that cleans my upper palate. A good refreshing beer with a out front flavor leaving very little after taste with the exception on a honey sweetness.

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Twist off, I haven't done this in a while. Let's see, very light copper color with a decent amount of bubbles. A white head that looks creamy, leaving some decent lacing, surprisingly.

I don't get any smell of honey. I get more of a burnt grain smell. Really not that appetizing.

Honey comes in on the taste. Mostly toasted malts, caremel, grain and even a little grassiness as well. The flavors are toned down too much for my liking.

Very carbonated, light to approaching medium body. It leaves the mouth feeling dry and not in a hoppy good way either. Not much going on here.

I can't believe I ever thought this was a good beer in the past. I'm so glad my palate has changed. It's like adding honey to something bland but even the honey has a hard time making its presence known. Less than average.

2.79/5  rDev -10%

I used to love this way back in the day before i really got into craft beer. Havent had one in over a year but I drank half a case last night.

The nose is full of cooked corn with a hint of honey. This smells like an adjunct lager. I can't really smell brown ale here.

The taste is like the smell. You can pick up a few honey notes and there's a hint of brown ale in there but I mostly taste corn.

The finish is sweet and dry.

I used to love this beer, but since I've tasted true great beer, this now leaves me with a lot to be desired.

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into chilled pint glass.

Pours a honey colored amber brown, with a foamy white head that persists throughout the consumption of the beer.

Smells sugary sweet, but surprisingly, tastes rather bitter and hop-forward. Not that it is a very hoppy beer at all, there is just a disparity between the taste and smell that is interesting.

A bit dissapointed by this one. Not bad, but not great.

2.43/5  rDev -21.6%

I bought a single can of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in Spring 2011.

Pours a golden amber color with a fast diminshing head. A slight scent of wheat, malts, and little honey. Taste is rather light and simple every bit of the taste is too weak. You really have to search for the Honey. It's drinkable but could really use more depth to it's taste. Something to add to your list of beers drank, but that's about it.

3.02/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a lighter than expected copper brown. A sizeable frothy head that sticks around a minute or two. A little bit of lacing as it does down.

Smells primarily sweet, with a hint of malty undertones.

Surprisingly not as sweet as it smells. More of a malty taste, with very few hints of hop bitterness.

Pretty light in your mouth for an amber lager, not a whole lot of body.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed in this beer. I'm a fan of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, so I figured combining red lager (one of my more favorable styles) and honey would be good. I might get this again because its reasonably priced and packs a decent malty flavor profile for a change of pace.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a decent-sized white head. The aroma has a little bit of honey in it but the major aroma components are grain and sugar. The beer smells very sweet overall. The flavor is also heavy on the grain with a little bit of caramel malt mixed in. Nothing special. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.56/5  rDev -49.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Promising pouring, nice color. Aroma was kind of odd ... Like someone sprayed a shot of cheap perfume on top of a lager.

The sweetness wasn't as off-putting as the greasy, tongue-coating mouthfeel ... Feels like I need to grab my tongue-scraper to get the taste out of my mouth. Actually, that's what I'm going to do as soon as soon as I get done drain-pouring almost a full glass. I could only stand four sips of this.

Review in a nutshell:

I like honey.
I like beer.
I do NOT like honey-flavored beer.

2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 24oz can into mug. Pours a rusty orange color with a sort of khaki color head with very large bubbles. It smells of roasted grains and some caramel malt with subtle hop bitterness. I don't really detect any honey in the smell aside from maybe adding to the sweet malt smell.

Tastes of sweet malts and is slightly grainy. No real detectable honey flavor in it, which probably blends into the sweet malty flavors. Mild hop bitterness on the finish.

Light and watery mouthfeel with no crispness present from carbonation at all.

3.21/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: A Rusted orange glow

Smell: Light roosted grainy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: Nice White Head

Taste: Big skunk note hits you right up front with a little grassy note lingers

Weight: Light body for a lager if you were to ask me, a bit under carbonated as well

Finish: Not a lot going on here, from the start to the finish on the plate it seems the beer does not change in complexity, the finish dies out fairly quickly and I'm sorry but I do not taste the notes of Honey on my palate

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Pale brown. No lace or foam. Kind of flat, but the color is nice.

Smell: Really refreshing honey scent. I'm probably overrating this, but it gets the job done.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically same thoughts on taste as with smell. Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, but a bit watery and times.

Drinkability: A great stepping stone.

Overall: Underrated. No doubt.

2.49/5  rDev -19.7%

It's a nice amber lager. Don't expect a brown ale type body, because that is not what you'll get. Has a decent head in my Meantime snifter, but it doesn't last all that long. Lively carbonation to watch rise, but it comes off a bit watery in with the richness. Doesn't smell much like anything except weak malts and a bit of honey. Taste is lacking. Good enough to pull out for a party though. It's way more flavorful than the alternatives. I'd love to use this for beer pong. It's not overly carbonated and won't fill you up.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Got a silo of this for $2 from HyVee over the weekend.

Poured a transparent copper color with a little bit of head. Little bit of malt on the nose, not much honey really. Taste is OK, although it's a little weak. Decent flavor, but nothing special. Good mouthfeel and goes down smooth, but not a great beer.

3.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

An old favorite in my pre-craft days, and still a decent middle-of-the-road session beer.
Pours an attractive golden, with light head and no lace.
Adjunct aroma, sort of corn and honey, but not repellant.
Flavor is sweet and malty, with little complexity at all, and no discernible hoppiness.
Nonetheless, this is a tasty and easy-to-drink lighter beer that doesn't offend, and I'd get again to share with friends.

3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

I have a lot of loyalty to this brew since it is THE first "real" beer I was introduced to by a friend in college.

A: slightly better than a macro brew. sub par head and lacing.

S: malt and honey.

T: smooth honey and malt sweetness with faint hop bitterness.

M: a little watery. goes down smooth.

D: IMHO one of the most drinkable beers out there. I could (and have) down an entire case of this.

Not a craft brew or a beer snob's beer, but a solid brew for it's own reasons. A step-up brew for the beer drinker who usually sticks with BudMillerCoors but wants to try something different. If it weren't for this beer I wouldn't be writing this review.

Most people will criticize it for it's lack of complexity and character. That aside you absolutely cannot beat the drinkability of this beer.

4.06/5  rDev +31%

The Honey Brown is a consistent smooth beer that will satisfy the average beer drinker, and should keep the beer snob moderately happy. It has a medium to light bodied brown ale taste with a semi-strong malty flavor (no doubt the honey). It is sweeter than most Lagers but not overbearing. If you do not mind a lager with a hint of sweetness, it will be a good choice. However, if a Yuengling is too sweet for you, stay away.

From notes at Old Chicago (2001): Pours a lighter transluecent amber with a small off white head that went away quickly. Aroma of malts, honey and roasted peanuts. Taste of honey and a slight roastiness. Some roasted malts. Average beer, better than a majority of the macros.Very mainstream mild caramel malt flavour with very low bitterness. Light body with decent carbonation.

3.31/5  rDev +6.8%

A: A golden/really light copper color with a small amount of head.

S: Lots of sweet lager smell. Little bit of honey smell.

T: Some honey sweetness. Maybe a little overly sweet but there's something about this one that keeps me sipping.Much tastier than other lagers I've had.

M: Lots of carbonation. A little on the syrupy side but not overly so.

D: This one renews my faith in lagers. Thanks to this beer, look forward to diving deeper into this style.

3.24/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appears amber yellow color with a large foamy off-white head.

It smells of metallic, sugar, grains and a little bit honey like. Smells almost like a classic adjunct lager, I suppose it does not have the chemical smell most adjunct lagers have and that it has more substance to the smell then most "American" lagers.

It tastes initially of sweet grain; I get a bit of honey sweetness to. There is a bit of a metallic taste as well. It tastes not so great yet it is smoother than most American adjunct lagers. When compared with other American adjunct lagers it is pretty good.

It is fuzzy and light.

It is drinkable it goes down like water.

This beer is what it is. It is a good example of a crappy style I guess.

2.76/5  rDev -11%

I used to drink this beer in college (before I could legally buy it myself) and have fond memories of it. We'll see how this goes.

A: Translucent light amber color, maybe a finger's width of head that disappears as quickly as it arrives. Leaves some very light lacing. I'm surprised to see a steady stream of bubbles rising that keeps a thin film of head on the top of the beer.

S: Really light on the nose. I'm getting some light malts, some cereal grains, and that's about it.

T: Maltiness up front that gives way to a honey sweetness that isn't balanced much on the finish. Really leaves the taste of honey in my mouth.

M: medium light body, not a whole lot of carbonation, and fairly sticky. The beer feels a lot heavier than it looks, mostly because of how it coats your mouth and the first sip and never leaves.

D: Drinkable, yes. Good, no. Better than BMC beers, but not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination. Too light and unexceptional on the pallet to be a single drink beer, and too sickly sweet with the honey to be a session beer.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.