Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Read the review
Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

3.1

Ratings: 1,408 |  Reviews: 668
2.43/5  rDev -21.6%

The foam was an almost white wheat color, smooth, bubbly and dissapated quickly. The color was a very deep gold with amber highlights. The smell was a floral hops aroma with hints of toasted wood and a very light orange peel undertone. The taste had a definate hops overtone but too overbearing, a earthy wood and soil undertone with floral and citrus highlights. Mouthfeel - light bodied, crisp and clean. Drinkability - was an ok beer due to the earthy undertones but almost drowned out by the lack of flavors and aromas. Not a personal favorite - just below average.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Ah Dundee. I remember it tasting rather good so lets see if my palate can handle it now

A - Looks... OK. No real head and the color is semi copper in color. Very mild ring if any

S - Smells pretty regular. Grains and hops mildly with a honey coating which hopefully will taste better than it smells.

T - Actually quite good, the sweetness of the honey really covers the bitterness of the lager leading to a sweet finish. I actually dig its simplicity.

M - Very light. I do remember finishing a six pack easily.

D - Man I knew of this stuff when I was drinking crappy BMC because it is a slight step above it. Drinkable, light, with flavor and refreshing. A nice starter to craft beer!

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a clear, copper color from a 22 oz can; no ABV or freshness date on the can.
Decent one-finger head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Aroma is mostly malty with hints of honey in the background, on the sweeter side.
The taste is again malty with a hint of honey. However, this lager does not have the 'watery' feeling that most of the lagers produced in bulk usually have. Decent lacing along the glass.
Drinkability is definitely good, perfect for hot summer days.

3.84/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It had a golden red color with a head that was not very think and quickly disappeared. In this aspect I was not very impressed; I like a good head. There was not a strong smell but it was slightly sweet. I however thought it was pretty tasty for a lighter beer. My girlfriend who usually sticks to the yellow fizzy beers, such as bud light, actually enjoyed this one. The taste was not very strong and somewhat sweet, which is expected from a honey beer. If you are in to an strong hoppy flavor, this beer isn't for you, however it is a lager. This beer is light and very drinkable; something you might want if entertaining non-advocates of good, bold, strong beer. I like most types of beer and enjoyed this one for an easy drinking, sweet, lager. All in all this is one I would try if trying to get someone away from drinking mass-produced "economy" beer, and trying to expand their horizons beyond bud, coors, or miller into more distinct beers.

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

#13. Honey Brown by JW Dundee. I had this before but before my reviewing days. Let's give It a professional shot.

I pour from a 12 oz bottle to a wide mouth coca cola pint glass. Glass is tinged green, not ideal, I know.

(Appearance) pours a half finger of highly carbonated head. Retention is poor, head is gone within a half minute. Beer is light golden brown, tinged yellowish. Carbonation high. 3

(Smell) malts high, honey flavor low and hard to detect. Bitter, spicy aroma beyond malts. It is in general a moderate smell, but nothing too exciting. 2.5

(Taste) sweet, sweet malts. A good touch of honey better present here than in the smell. Taste isn't too complex, but is rounded out. There is a good balance of flavor here, but the end product is sweet sweet! It's enjoyable. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) crisp, light bodied. The carbonation doesn't play much into the feel here. 3

(Drinkability) Highly drinkable. Flavors are subtle and ABV is on the low end. Not hugely filling in a single dose. I could easily follow with another couple. It's not bad. 3.5

Verdict:

2.81/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Amber, transparent with an inch of head. Should this be a brown color and not transparent?

S - Honey, malt and a bit of apple.

T - Very smooth, honey flavor and... nothing else. It is a lager so its flavors should not be as pronounced, but there ought to be something. It actually tastes like a cider with honey notes to it.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation. Easy to drink.

D - Very drinkable, but not enjoyable. It really does not taste like much. Bland.

Pours a clear amber color with light tan head. Head falls to almost nothing. Minimal lace.

Not much aroma, real clean. Too cold maybe? Little sweet maybe.

Taste is of mild, sweet malt and really not much else.

Thin and well carbonated in the mouth.

Very average to below. Drinkable but not much in flavor.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

A- Medium transparent brown with nice retention of a white creamy head and average lacing.

S- Sweet malts, pear and notes of honey.

T- Sweet malts, caramels, and hints of honey.

M- Thin, refreshing and creamy.

D- Easy to drink. Average, not impressed. Expected sweeter taste to be called a honey.

A- Poured this into my lager glass and was impressed by the well retaining white head, albeit, it is full of big airy bubbles as opposed to being dense, save for the very top. Anyways it has mounds of carbonation, which rise quickly to the top of the brew. It is a dark golden color....not quite brown but on its' way I guess, and it is very clear. Good lacing clings to the side of the glass with no sliding back into the lager.

S- Overall it is mild but sweet....more malt than honey and not much else. No real hop presence on the finish either...just kind of macro bland in general, minus the adjuncts.

T- This has a very muted flavor profile. Very similar to the aromas, just on a stronger scale. It starts sweet in a malty way, and there is some honey notes, but they are muted in the background. Very slight bitterness on the finish, but nothing noteworthy. Overall, it tastes weak and leans towards macro type of flavor, with a hint of honey.

M- Thin and watery bodied best describes this. The carbonation is plentiful and palate scrubbing, which does make this a crisp and refreshing beer to drink. It just doesn't have the body and/or reminder of the honey that is put into the beer to make it that memorable.

D- Good in terms of being able to down this rather easily, but it isn't great. I'd definitely have a couple of pints before moving on, without feeling offended. I just feel that for this style, it's a weak attempt and seeing as this is one of my preferred beer styles to drink, I'd get several others before picking this up again. Oh well, it's still something I'd recommend someone try as a stepping stone.

2.6/5  rDev -16.1%

I was not impressed by this beer... It has a sweet honey aroma and a malty taste... Nothing complex. The flavor felt very 'empty' when I drank it... like I was drinking a cheap beer. This is not something I would ever choose to drink again.

Label sucks too...

2.48/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle. Pours copper color with s small, short lived, white head. Aroma is of sweet caramel malt, honey and some pear. Light, thing body. Taste is of caramel malt and honey. No hops on the palate at all. Finish is completely absent. I will skip this one next time.

3.47/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty amber color with reddish tints, a thick white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells very sweet much like a frappe if that is a good thing... Tastes of sweetness from the malts, honey, and some well balanced hops. Mouthfeel is medium and nice. Drinkability is high.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Very light, very clear honey gold color. Minimal head or head retention. Small amount of lacing. Limited bubbles working from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - I am actually detecting some of the honey aroma. Can't tell if its real or artificial. Either way its not off putting. A touch of grain or grass also. Some of the adjunct lager scent coming through but not real overpowering like a lot of "macros".

Taste - Again, picking up a touch of the honey in the taste. The taste is definitely more of an artificial honey flavor. Little in the way of bitterness. A tad acidic even. A bit of the adjunct corn coming through.

Mouthfeel - Medium to mostly thin. Doesn't leave much in the aftertaste. A bit of a carbonic bite on the tongue. Doesn't coat the throat or tongue real strongly.

Drinkability - I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Wasn't full enough for me. I mean, I can drink it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find this beer. It is better than any "macro", but I was expecting something maltier with a better mouthfeel.

3.67/5  rDev +18.4%

355ml bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Orange gold colour with a white head that shrank to a thin foam layer.

S. Creamy, possibly buttery. Hints of spice, peppery, malty, subtle honey notes.

T. Creamy, malty and a touch of spiciness. Some honey sweetness is also present.

M. Thin.

D. An average performer as beers go but as a lager better than the massed produced tripe that is floating around. I am giving it 4 for drinkability as it is a clean drinker though there are better honey flavoured beers out there (Holts's Humdinger and Brewdog's Dogma). Couldn't make up my mind wether this was a 3.5 or 4 for Smell but plumped for the higher mark.

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank straight from the bottle, it's cheap enough that I don't care

Thanks to taiyed for it

This beer has a honey color to it. It smells a very sugary beer, there is a honey sweetness with some orange aromas as well. The taste is really way too sweet to be enjoyed well. The mouthfeel is pretty decent but this is really fizzy on the tongue, not bad to drink, if you're hurting for money there are worse beers you could buy than this.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to taiyed for letting me steal this bottle!

The brew day was coming to a close by the time I cracked this bottle open. It pours a clear pale golden honey topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises fake grape, light caramel, mandarin oranges, and lemon zest. The taste runs along a similar course, with some light honey thrown in as well. Things haven't thickened out, though: they remain as whispy as in the smell. The body is a very light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a decent brew, a bit on the weak side, and a bit fizzy to truly be highly drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger of fizzy white head with fair retention. Better retention would be nice. Clear amber liquid. A good looking beer.
S: Caramel, slight (maybe) honey aroma. Not much here, but clean. More complexity please.
T: This was the first beer I liked, 12 years ago. Sweet, a little too sweet. Very honey dominant. Reminds me of Honey Moon, but slightly better than that maybe. Some toasted bread flavor but honey is all over it. More diverse please. It does get better the farther I get into it.
M: Almost cloyingly sweet. Chewy and thick feel. A bit fizzy.
D: Pleasant, a bit too sweet for me to want a sixer. I might order another.

3.24/5  rDev +4.5%

I found this in a 24 oz. can sitting on a shelf and just decided to give it another go. It's mostly the same as I got from the bottle with two interesting differences: the head was tall and dense, leaving thick, sticky lacing, and the only thing keeping if from a higher score was that it didn't last long enough, though it wasn't especially short-lived. Secondly, the mouthfeel seemed a bit thicker and creamy smooth, so that seemed to be an improvement as well. Otherwise there's really nothing different about it from the can as opposed to the bottle, though those aspects did up the drinkability.

2.22/5  rDev -28.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

Pours a burnt golden with a buoyant head, retaining nicely with rings of lacing around the glass. Unfortunately this is where the magic ends.

Sweet honey, toasted grain and bread along with caramel malts in the nose, including a weird metallic scent.

Fairly bland up front, with hints of roasted malt and light sweetness. There's some soft honey sweetness in the middle, although there isn't much else there. Finishes with some super faint hops and a bit of lingering sweetness.

Light bodied, medium carbonation, slight chewiness. I guess it's smooth drinking, but the sub-par flavor doesn't really help anything. If I'm going to drink something this weak, I'd rather go with a light beer and just forget any attempt at poor flavor.

3.32/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz. brown bottle into pint glass

A: medium amber with a very short-lived head that leaves minimal lace.

S: Caramel? Honey. Malt. No hops.

T/M: Very sweet. It really does taste like honey, as well as sweeter varieties of malt. Very low bitterness. I'm actually not getting any bitterness at all, but someone not used to beer might pick up on something. Carbonation is fairly light and cuts the sweetness a bit, but it also bites back like the carbonation in a Coke or a gingerale. There's a slight fruity tartness that I can't place, but it might be from the honey.

D: Fairly easy to drink, but the sweetness can be cloying at times. Needs more hops.

2.86/5  rDev -7.7%

I used to drink these before I started enjoying craft beer. Let's see if it's what I remember from years past.

This Honey Brown is a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. A half finger head forms upon pouring and quickly dissipates leaving a small head behind. Carbonation remains active as bubbles continue to rise to the surface long after the pour. The color is a translucent copper. All in all it leaves a pleasant impression on the eyes.

I can smell this one without having to hold it to my nose. Perhaps the effervescence from the continued bubbling of the beer is wafting the scent into the air. Getting a little closer for a better inspection it just smells like an adjunct lager, no more and no less.

The initial sip surprises me in that this is not nearly as flavorful as I recall from years past. It tastes kind of watered down actually. It has a definite adjunct grain taste, perhaps corn. It's pretty sweet however so maybe the honey is just playing tricks on my tongue. The bite is void of anything but sugary water and cheap grain. The finish is a mild bitterness that I suspect is simply present due to lack of competing substance. The carbonation is actually a bit less than I expected from the initial look and continued activity seen through the glass. Oh my; I just burped and it tasted like a marshmallow.

As unsophisticated as this beer is, it is very drinkable. It is light and completely inoffensive to the palate. I can't imagine getting excited about drinking these one after another, but I easily could.

The final verdict is that this is an aesthetically pleasant beer that unfortunately comes up short on taste. In the years since my last Honey Brown my preferences have certainly changed. I probably won't be coming back to this one any time soon.

3.67/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Golden honey color, the most appetizing part of this beer's appearance. Almost no carbonation visible through the glass, thin, wispy finger's-height head dissipates to a Pangaea-like formation on top of the beer. The lack of head and carbonation detract from an otherwise healthy looking brew.

Smell: I find it appealing. It's very straightforward, not a lot of pretense to this beer. Rich malty nose underscored with mildly bitter hops. There could be some adjuncts in this, but they're not overpowering. Only a slight touch of honey, if any at all.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The honey is right up front in the taste. Mellow carbonation works well for this beer, but as it attacks the tongue, there is this very bitter backbone that seems a touch out of place in this beer. Definitely has the honey covered, but brown? That's another story. It's good enough for tonight.

Drinkability: I could make it a "drinkin' beer" maybe three or four times a year. It's good enough and light enough to drink a six-pack, but not good enough to drink one every week.

Slightly above-average quality. And for the price (about a dollar per beer) it's tough to find better.

3.99/5  rDev +28.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

I loved this beer when I was younger, but haven't seen it around in a few years. When I saw it in my local store, I had to pick some up. Poured into a glass, the beer has a clear amber color with a small bubbly head. I picked up a light, malty-sweet aroma of honey and caramel.

The beer is a bit sweet with a hint of honey. It may catch some people off guard if they're expecting something richer and heavier after seeing the color. There is no hoppy bitterness and no nuttiness like you'd expect from a nut brown ale. This beer drinks very easy...almost like a Coors Light, but with sweet flavor. Not a terrible choice if you're looking for something cheap.

3.38/5  rDev +9%

My first review:

Poured from a bottle into a tall glass. Honestly, this tastes like a typical American lager with some nice redeeming qualities. Overall, it has a slightly darker, orange hue than the average lager, minimal head, descent amount of bubbles. The smell is probably the worst part about the beer (even though it's not THAT bad) as it has that slightly off-putting bitter smell so common with cheap lagers. Fortunately, things get better from there as the taste is well balanced but not exciting. I get a hint of honey, but mostly generic sweetness, pared with the refreshing taste of a lager. The mouthfeel is actually quite good as it has some body on the tongue and sits around for a while which makes it somewhat rewarding to drink. Lastly, drinkability is high and there have been nights when I had more than just a couple of these. Overall, a much appreciated change from the normal lager.

Also I picked up a 12 pk of bottles for 10.99 which is a steal, and I do like the label.

3.53/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall not bad at all. It has some depth and complexity. Isn't for everyone but definitely not the worst beer in this class. Pours dark with a decent head. Taste is rich with a slight "honey brown sugar" sweetness which doesn't appeal to everyone. Good for a few but might not be the best choice for a Saturday or Sunday full of football.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.