Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey)
3.12/5
Okay

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 1,424 |  Reviews: 674
2.6/5  rDev -16.7%

I was not impressed by this beer... It has a sweet honey aroma and a malty taste... Nothing complex. The flavor felt very 'empty' when I drank it... like I was drinking a cheap beer. This is not something I would ever choose to drink again.

Label sucks too...

2.48/5  rDev -20.5%

12oz bottle. Pours copper color with s small, short lived, white head. Aroma is of sweet caramel malt, honey and some pear. Light, thing body. Taste is of caramel malt and honey. No hops on the palate at all. Finish is completely absent. I will skip this one next time.

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty amber color with reddish tints, a thick white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells very sweet much like a frappe if that is a good thing... Tastes of sweetness from the malts, honey, and some well balanced hops. Mouthfeel is medium and nice. Drinkability is high.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Very light, very clear honey gold color. Minimal head or head retention. Small amount of lacing. Limited bubbles working from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - I am actually detecting some of the honey aroma. Can't tell if its real or artificial. Either way its not off putting. A touch of grain or grass also. Some of the adjunct lager scent coming through but not real overpowering like a lot of "macros".

Taste - Again, picking up a touch of the honey in the taste. The taste is definitely more of an artificial honey flavor. Little in the way of bitterness. A tad acidic even. A bit of the adjunct corn coming through.

Mouthfeel - Medium to mostly thin. Doesn't leave much in the aftertaste. A bit of a carbonic bite on the tongue. Doesn't coat the throat or tongue real strongly.

Drinkability - I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Wasn't full enough for me. I mean, I can drink it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find this beer. It is better than any "macro", but I was expecting something maltier with a better mouthfeel.

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%

355ml bottle poured into a Young's pint pot.

A. Orange gold colour with a white head that shrank to a thin foam layer.

S. Creamy, possibly buttery. Hints of spice, peppery, malty, subtle honey notes.

T. Creamy, malty and a touch of spiciness. Some honey sweetness is also present.

M. Thin.

D. An average performer as beers go but as a lager better than the massed produced tripe that is floating around. I am giving it 4 for drinkability as it is a clean drinker though there are better honey flavoured beers out there (Holts's Humdinger and Brewdog's Dogma). Couldn't make up my mind wether this was a 3.5 or 4 for Smell but plumped for the higher mark.

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank straight from the bottle, it's cheap enough that I don't care

Thanks to taiyed for it

This beer has a honey color to it. It smells a very sugary beer, there is a honey sweetness with some orange aromas as well. The taste is really way too sweet to be enjoyed well. The mouthfeel is pretty decent but this is really fizzy on the tongue, not bad to drink, if you're hurting for money there are worse beers you could buy than this.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to taiyed for letting me steal this bottle!

The brew day was coming to a close by the time I cracked this bottle open. It pours a clear pale golden honey topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises fake grape, light caramel, mandarin oranges, and lemon zest. The taste runs along a similar course, with some light honey thrown in as well. Things haven't thickened out, though: they remain as whispy as in the smell. The body is a very light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a decent brew, a bit on the weak side, and a bit fizzy to truly be highly drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger of fizzy white head with fair retention. Better retention would be nice. Clear amber liquid. A good looking beer.
S: Caramel, slight (maybe) honey aroma. Not much here, but clean. More complexity please.
T: This was the first beer I liked, 12 years ago. Sweet, a little too sweet. Very honey dominant. Reminds me of Honey Moon, but slightly better than that maybe. Some toasted bread flavor but honey is all over it. More diverse please. It does get better the farther I get into it.
M: Almost cloyingly sweet. Chewy and thick feel. A bit fizzy.
D: Pleasant, a bit too sweet for me to want a sixer. I might order another.

3.24/5  rDev +3.8%

I found this in a 24 oz. can sitting on a shelf and just decided to give it another go. It's mostly the same as I got from the bottle with two interesting differences: the head was tall and dense, leaving thick, sticky lacing, and the only thing keeping if from a higher score was that it didn't last long enough, though it wasn't especially short-lived. Secondly, the mouthfeel seemed a bit thicker and creamy smooth, so that seemed to be an improvement as well. Otherwise there's really nothing different about it from the can as opposed to the bottle, though those aspects did up the drinkability.

2.22/5  rDev -28.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

Pours a burnt golden with a buoyant head, retaining nicely with rings of lacing around the glass. Unfortunately this is where the magic ends.

Sweet honey, toasted grain and bread along with caramel malts in the nose, including a weird metallic scent.

Fairly bland up front, with hints of roasted malt and light sweetness. There's some soft honey sweetness in the middle, although there isn't much else there. Finishes with some super faint hops and a bit of lingering sweetness.

Light bodied, medium carbonation, slight chewiness. I guess it's smooth drinking, but the sub-par flavor doesn't really help anything. If I'm going to drink something this weak, I'd rather go with a light beer and just forget any attempt at poor flavor.

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz. brown bottle into pint glass

A: medium amber with a very short-lived head that leaves minimal lace.

S: Caramel? Honey. Malt. No hops.

T/M: Very sweet. It really does taste like honey, as well as sweeter varieties of malt. Very low bitterness. I'm actually not getting any bitterness at all, but someone not used to beer might pick up on something. Carbonation is fairly light and cuts the sweetness a bit, but it also bites back like the carbonation in a Coke or a gingerale. There's a slight fruity tartness that I can't place, but it might be from the honey.

D: Fairly easy to drink, but the sweetness can be cloying at times. Needs more hops.

2.86/5  rDev -8.3%

I used to drink these before I started enjoying craft beer. Let's see if it's what I remember from years past.

This Honey Brown is a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. A half finger head forms upon pouring and quickly dissipates leaving a small head behind. Carbonation remains active as bubbles continue to rise to the surface long after the pour. The color is a translucent copper. All in all it leaves a pleasant impression on the eyes.

I can smell this one without having to hold it to my nose. Perhaps the effervescence from the continued bubbling of the beer is wafting the scent into the air. Getting a little closer for a better inspection it just smells like an adjunct lager, no more and no less.

The initial sip surprises me in that this is not nearly as flavorful as I recall from years past. It tastes kind of watered down actually. It has a definite adjunct grain taste, perhaps corn. It's pretty sweet however so maybe the honey is just playing tricks on my tongue. The bite is void of anything but sugary water and cheap grain. The finish is a mild bitterness that I suspect is simply present due to lack of competing substance. The carbonation is actually a bit less than I expected from the initial look and continued activity seen through the glass. Oh my; I just burped and it tasted like a marshmallow.

As unsophisticated as this beer is, it is very drinkable. It is light and completely inoffensive to the palate. I can't imagine getting excited about drinking these one after another, but I easily could.

The final verdict is that this is an aesthetically pleasant beer that unfortunately comes up short on taste. In the years since my last Honey Brown my preferences have certainly changed. I probably won't be coming back to this one any time soon.

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Golden honey color, the most appetizing part of this beer's appearance. Almost no carbonation visible through the glass, thin, wispy finger's-height head dissipates to a Pangaea-like formation on top of the beer. The lack of head and carbonation detract from an otherwise healthy looking brew.

Smell: I find it appealing. It's very straightforward, not a lot of pretense to this beer. Rich malty nose underscored with mildly bitter hops. There could be some adjuncts in this, but they're not overpowering. Only a slight touch of honey, if any at all.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The honey is right up front in the taste. Mellow carbonation works well for this beer, but as it attacks the tongue, there is this very bitter backbone that seems a touch out of place in this beer. Definitely has the honey covered, but brown? That's another story. It's good enough for tonight.

Drinkability: I could make it a "drinkin' beer" maybe three or four times a year. It's good enough and light enough to drink a six-pack, but not good enough to drink one every week.

Slightly above-average quality. And for the price (about a dollar per beer) it's tough to find better.

3.99/5  rDev +27.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

I loved this beer when I was younger, but haven't seen it around in a few years. When I saw it in my local store, I had to pick some up. Poured into a glass, the beer has a clear amber color with a small bubbly head. I picked up a light, malty-sweet aroma of honey and caramel.

The beer is a bit sweet with a hint of honey. It may catch some people off guard if they're expecting something richer and heavier after seeing the color. There is no hoppy bitterness and no nuttiness like you'd expect from a nut brown ale. This beer drinks very easy...almost like a Coors Light, but with sweet flavor. Not a terrible choice if you're looking for something cheap.

3.38/5  rDev +8.3%

My first review:

Poured from a bottle into a tall glass. Honestly, this tastes like a typical American lager with some nice redeeming qualities. Overall, it has a slightly darker, orange hue than the average lager, minimal head, descent amount of bubbles. The smell is probably the worst part about the beer (even though it's not THAT bad) as it has that slightly off-putting bitter smell so common with cheap lagers. Fortunately, things get better from there as the taste is well balanced but not exciting. I get a hint of honey, but mostly generic sweetness, pared with the refreshing taste of a lager. The mouthfeel is actually quite good as it has some body on the tongue and sits around for a while which makes it somewhat rewarding to drink. Lastly, drinkability is high and there have been nights when I had more than just a couple of these. Overall, a much appreciated change from the normal lager.

Also I picked up a 12 pk of bottles for 10.99 which is a steal, and I do like the label.

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall not bad at all. It has some depth and complexity. Isn't for everyone but definitely not the worst beer in this class. Pours dark with a decent head. Taste is rich with a slight "honey brown sugar" sweetness which doesn't appeal to everyone. Good for a few but might not be the best choice for a Saturday or Sunday full of football.

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

Despite the fact that this beer has a low rating, i think it really great. This is not at all a typical american lager like bud or coors. This beer has a mild sweet taste that is very smooth much like all lagers and an almost creamy aftertaste that will please any mouth. This is one of my favorite session lagers and i highly suggest it.

2.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a stange. Beer is brown and clear with minimal head and steady carbonation, no lacing.

Aroma is actually kind of honeyish, smells OK.

This beer is medium to light in body, mildly sweet and grainy. It has a mild aftertaste its a very boring beer. There is no honey in the palate, at least I can't detect it. Just another (basically) bland beer for the masses.

2.7/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a quick freezer-chilled bottle into a pint glass. Estimate it was poured at 45 degrees F.

Pours smoothly into glass with a medium head that stuck around for several minutes. Some lacing of foam on the glass. Color is a medium copper and crystal clear.

Smell is unremarkable, though clearly malty and honey is present.

The taste ... very sweet with almost no bitterness. I mean, VERY sweet with almost NO bitterness. My wife even took a sip (she hates hops) and said it was like a soft drink.

The mouthfeel is luxurious. Heavy and thick on the tongue and all the way down the throat. The heavy malts and honey play a great role here.

While I was disappointed with the taste, the mouthfeel of this beer is enough to make me give it a second try. Gotta love that heaviness and full body! This won't be a frequent purchase, but if I'm in the mood for a sweet and full-bodied beer I'd go for it.

3.56/5  rDev +14.1%

Not gonna bore you with my disection of this beer. I am partial to anything with the name Genesee on it. My Dad grew up near the brewery in upstate NY.

This is one of those beers that most peopele who try it say is good but it is nobody's favorite. I will drink this one again but probably not today.

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: orange-yellow hue; decent one-finger head; decent threading
S: sweet, moderately fragrant
T: fruity, meadlike quality; sweet; no bitterness; very simple, with little body, spicing, or flavoring; drinking this beer will be no memorable experience, but it won't be offensive, either
M: a bit watery
D: you bet, you could have a number of these, but mainly to try to catch up to what one good craft ale would do for you

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- On the light side of brown, to be generous. The head was thin, but it did leave some nice lacing.
S- Smell is quite sweet. Honey, but sort of in candy honey sense. Not quite like real honey. Some malt aromas also fill in.
T- Weak malt, with honey sweetness being the big player here. Hop presence was quite weak.
M- Light bodied, low carbonation and I felt that the sweetness left a slick feeling on the tongue.
D- Drinkable, I suppose. Sits in that same level is the Michelob "crafts" for me. This beer is decent, and nice to see in someone's house instead of some alternatives, but still nothing to search out.

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Nothing all too great about this beer, it's a bit better tasting then the average lagger, smells ok, tastes watery with a finish of honey which removes the bad taste I normally get with a lager. Its about as drinkable as the style gets, that being said I could easily pass on the style.

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz bottle pours a clear deep gold color with a surprisingly large cap of whitish foam. Fades pretty quick though and does not leave any lacing.

Nose is sweet grains and, shockingly enough - honey. A little metallic twang that seems to pervade all the beers from Genesee.

Pretty refreshing brew when served colder than 40, even though it is quite sweet. Has a honey flavor which is what they were going for I assume. Light bodied with a delicate toast on the finish that helps the meager hops clean things up. Not great, but it makes a good, reasonably priced gateway beer to get people interested in more flavorful brews.

2.38/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this one on-tap at Flying Saucer for no reason than to chalk one more beer towards my 5th plate. Served in a standard pint glass a deep orange, certainly not anything I would call "brown," with a thin, quickly diminishing head. Aroma was slight honey, but not much else. The taste was a bit of sweet honey and malts, again, not much there. The beer was light bodied with low carbonation. I honestly didn't expect much with this one, and it certainly didn't deliver anything. This is one I will not be having again.

Original Honey Brown Extra Rich Lager (Beer Brewed With Honey) from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.12 out of 5 with 1,424 ratings