Genesee Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 225 | Ratings: 589
3.78/5  rDev +38%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Look - Clear straw in color, short white head quickly fizzles away into nothingness.

Aroma - Mild. Corn, cheerios, crackers.

Taste - Corn grits, malt is thin and crackery like the aroma, hops have a very mild grassy bitterness. Sweetness is low, finishes dry.

Feel - Light bodied, fizzy carbonation, dry. Thirst quenching.

Overall - An overlooked but excellent American lager. Cheap, tasty and refreshing.

3.06/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aroma is malts/pale malts, mild corn and slight fruit. The flavor is typical AAL, no nasty notes, a plus. As expected, didn't reinvent the AAL but like most Genesee beers, it was very drinkable.

2.81/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This has got to be one of the palest beers I've ever had -- a lot of AALs look like dehydrated piss, but Genesee looks like well-hydrated piss. Big white head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Well carbonated. Smells and tastes quite a bit like PBR. Definitely has that "bread in a can" feel, more than my favorite cheap beers: Narragansett, Yuengling, and Miller High Life. Nevertheless, it's cheap! And the minimal can design is great.

1.91/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Listen up kids, this beer is absolutely terrible... BUT it is 10.99 for a 30 pack where I'm from.. If you can handle the terrible aftertaste its a good beer to ball on a budget with. Probably the definition of a frat beer. Needless to say Jenny and I have had some good time. Stay thirsty and in school kidos.

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When it comes to something cheap and representing your hometown this is the way to go. It's simple, cheap and isn't as bad as many beers. It's the aftertaste that gets you. Off the bat it isn't too bad, sweet, carbonated, and refreshing; then it takes a slightly bitter tone once you get it down.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tallboy from the LCBO; coded E266 and served well-chilled.

Pours a clear, effervescent straw-yellow colour, sporting nearly a full inch of soapy white head that lasts for the better part of five minutes. A ring of lacing is deposited as it is gradually reduced to a foamy collar and thin cap; looks like a pale lager is supposed to, I suppose. Pale barley malt, cereal grain sweetness and some corny notes on the nose, but not a whole lot else, really. I haven't reviewed many adjunct lagers in the past year or two, but that corn chip aroma immediately roused some old memories - back from when I used to drink this sort of swill on a regular basis.

Not bad for what it is. The flavour starts off with corn grits and grainy-sweet barley malts, followed by boiled vegetables and wet cardboard. Slight metallicity mid-sip. Finishes with a suggestion of grassy hops and some corny sweetness that soon dissipates. Light in body, with aggressive carbonation typical of a macro lager; prickly and palate-scrubbing texture. Extremely sessionable - drinks like a "half light lager", if that makes any sense, in that it's more watery than most regular-strength macros, but not as diluted as, say, a Coors/Bud Light.

Final Grade: 3.25, a tolerable C+. Genesee Beer's minimalist label has all the cachet of store-brand packaging from the 80s, but maybe that's the vibe they were going for. Similarly, the beer inside is about as interesting and well-made as the stuff my dad was drinking around that time (which is to say, it's neither). Basically, it's about what you'd expect for the price - a passable light-ish beer, appropriate for camping, social swilling and the like. Above average for an adjunct lager - I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but I'd also have no problem with consuming more at some point.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Pittsburgh has its "Iron City," Cincinnati has its "Hudepohl," and Rochester has its "Genny." The beer of my childhood and hometown is a long time staple of Rochester dive bars, back yard parties and Amerk hockey games...the later being where I reacquainted myself with this beverage during a trip home for the holidays. Those in the know refer to it as a "white boy," as in "I'll have a couple white boys please" ...It's sister beer, Genny Light, being a "blue boy"....i.e. the color of their respective cans.

Drink for the memories, not for the taste. :-)

2.89/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Decent, if unexceptional, AAL. So the usual descriptors apply - Smells like fresh corn, tastes like beer flavoured Soda pop. Ho hum.on the plus side -- Genny has a more robust mouthfeel, and is less cloyingly sweet than the other guys. Quaffable if boring as wallpaper.

2.89/5  rDev +5.5%

I have a soft spot in my heart for Jenny. Is it good? Not particularly, but it isn't horrendous either. It is a good crap beer. It isn't something I would drink a lot of of over the course of an evening but for a light little beer for BBQ season, or after cutting the lawn on a hot day, it does the trick. I guess it is my go-to American generic beer.

Check the brewery if you ever find yourself in Rochester. The food is good and the location interesting.

3.49/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hearing almost nothing but hate for this beer got me interested enough to buy a can.

Look: Pale, yellow, fizzy. Typical AAL.

Smell: Light cereal. Not much to go on. Pleasant.

Taste: Pretty good, but very light. Cereal grain, pale fruit.

Feel: A little more than water, but not much.

Overall: Greater than the sum of its parts. I normally go for a Black IPA or Russian Imperial Stout, yet I find myself enjoying this extremely light beer.

3.65/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is the worst beer on the planet. And for some reason, I love the hell out of it. It is the best American crap beer. Better than Coors, Bud, and Miller. I love this beer, but I guess my bias is from my Grandfather drinking this beer all his life and making me try it. In a way, I drink it in his memory. But I still like it for some reason....

2.4/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Corn. Tastes of corn, looks like corn, smells of corn. Tastes strong of grain with little hops. Drinks bigger than most similar beers. Full flavored and every sip keeps it's flavor for some time. Though that aftertaste isn't always great.

4.54/5  rDev +65.7%

Hi fellow beer lover's !
This beer needs to be judged for what it is. That is an old school American brew that is every bit as good, ( in my opinion better), than it's rivals : Pabst, Miller, Bud or Coor's. Genesee is very pleasant to drink with it's light hoppy taste and great carbonation. This beer pours crystal clear, taste's great for it's style and is a great value at about 13 bucks a case. I have and will continue to choose Genny over other premium beers because It tastes better !
I'm sure most of you know that PBR doesn't even brew their own beer anymore, it's brewed and put in Pabst cans by Miller Brewing Co. ? Genny is still brewed in Rochester NY. in the Genesee - High Falls Brewery.
It's your choice America !
Gotta go,..................... time for a Genny !

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

For some reason I got the urge to drink this beer again earlier today after realizing I hadn't had one of these in years, so I stopped at a local beverage beer pretty close to my house after work that I sometimes buy craft beer from and picked up a 24 oz. can of this for all of $1.08 total cost. Poured into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a clear, light golden color with lots of streams of little bubbles fairly rapidly and continuously rising to the beer's surface. Initially has a head that's about 2/3 to 3/4 of an inch thick when first poured that settles to some cluster swirls of foam on the beer's surface along with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Decent lacing. Fairly weak aromas of some corn and barley/malt sweetness and no discernible hop aroma. The taste is pretty much the same, with some fairly sweet malts and corn and not much else. Perhaps a slight metallic taste. And again, no discernible hop presence that my palate could detect. Not bad overall, just average, and exactly what you'd expect tastewise for this style of beer. Better than most if not all Anheuser Busch, Miller, and Coors beers I've had. I'd put this on par with macro adjunct lagers such as PBR, Black Label, and Strohl's. I think I prefer PRB just slightly over this though, Has a fairly crisp, also smooth, light to medium body with moderate carbonation. has a clean finish. Not bad at all for what it is, but not really what most of us craft beer aficionados would likely consider to be a good, and certainly not a great, beer either.

Eric

3.21/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A distinguished elder of the AAL family.

More flavor than PBR, a little less hops than Miller Higher Life. Seems to be better put together though, balanced. Light color, enough malt to notice and hops present. All in all a good effort. It's also consistent and cheap. Just the thing for when those old retired Army Vets gather in the kitchen.

Buy it, drink it and enjoy it.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Recently bought and really liked the Bock, so figured I would give this a try.
Color - maize. No amber so no roasted grains.
Smell - no hop aroma, just a corn-over-barley subtle sweetness.
Taste - limp, uninspiring. I imagine it'd be quite refreshing served ice cold on a hot day but in late March it's a disappointment. Flavor is what the smell would suggest although flat. At first I detected a bit of metallic and maybe the slightest bit of vanilla-esque but 8 oz in it's just not much to say.
Feel - average. Not much of an aftertaste but seems more corn than barley.
Overall - less than I expected or hoped. At least there's a guilty pleasure to the Cream Ale. They'll probably still be around for Memorial Day rafting on Penn's Creek or the Susquehanna River.

Revisiting this review as I've purchased a couple more cases since. While still not as good as their Bock I have actually gotten comfortable with this being my cheapo beer. Not as good overall as PBR but a few dollars less makes it a good rafting / kayaking beer.

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The look is as to be expected for the style. Golden straw appearance with a thin rim. Lacing is sticking to the mug. Heavily carbonated. Nose of bread, corn and alcohol. Taste is a lot like the nose. Decent bitterness from hops and carbonation. There's a sweetness to this beer that balances with the bitterness, and hardly an offensive flavor to hold it back, making it very drinkable.

Overall, I'm a fan of this brew. When I think of tiering my budget beers, this is between my bottom of the barrel, acceptable beer - High Life - and my go-to budget, session beer - PBR. It's better than High Life, but not as good as PBR. First tried this 4-5 years ago when it appeared in 24 oz cans for $1.10 at the local six pack shop. I now live in VA and the local grocery store has a solid beer selection (the best in town) and they sell 30 packs of this. Picked one up for a little less than $17. Not bad at all. No regrets.

3.92/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden color with streaming bubbles and two fingers of rocky white head with lots of streaming bubbles.

Smells of barley, malts and a strong white bread smell.

Taste is well balanced beer that tastes of pilsner influences. Taste is somewhere between Miller Genuine Draft and Coors. I do taste some sweetness but not as much as the two mentioned beers.

The mouth feel is bubbly and lively with carbonation. A great wet refreshing feel that finishes real crisp and clean.

Overall I think for those that like the American lagers this is a very good beer and should not be overlooked. The price is hard to beat as well.

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A fitting end to 2015 will be this, a 40 ouncer I picked up in northern Ohio on my way back to Massachusetts. I am a fan of all 40s, so long as they have nothing to do with Ed Hardy and are not being very obviously marketed toward the homeless.

Pours like a macro. Smells like a dull macro with very minimal adjunct nodes: cereal grain and water, basically. Tastes a bit more adventurous and entirely pleasant throughout: starts off with barley, seltzer, and corn, leads to a mildly yeasty middle of adjunct grains, and finishes like pabst, with some light metallic biterness against grain. Nice aftertaste with some inexplicable nodes of artificial vanilla.

The fake vanilla is this beer's trademark, sort of like how Grain Belt has a pleasant finish reminiscent of baby aspirin. I don't know if this is quite up to GB-level macro goodness, but it's definitely one of the best 40 options you can find.

2.92/5  rDev +6.6%

24oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Light yellow color with a 1/2-finger head that quickly settles
S: A mix of corn/rice/wheat/hops
T: Light, mostly adjunct grains, a hint of hops
M: Light-bodied, a hint of hops, a bit crisp, better than MBC but unremarkable
O: A buck for 24oz makes this better than the big boys but there are many I'd turn to for their quality even if more expensive before drinking more of this

1.63/5  rDev -40.5%

First time having this beer surprisingly, as I am a college student and am unfortunately surrounded by cheap buzz beers. I thought the beer had a decent look, more of a golden color rather than piss. The smell is rough at best. To me this beer is very tasteless, I had to take 4 sips just to come to a judgement. The best part of this beer is the mouth feel. I was surprised at the carbonation, it was right on. It tickled the tongue if you will but didn't sting or hurt the nostrils. So this was my first beer review, hopefully it wasn't awful. I just love beer and Beeradvocate!

4.9/5  rDev +78.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Looks like Beer, smells like Beer, tastes like very good Beer, feels like brewed grains and carbonation fizz in my mouth. I am not ashamed to say this is my favorite Beer, and I love American Adjunct Lagers. aDjunct Lagers seem to be generally hated by most people on this website. They favor the heavily hopped and flavored micro craft brews. I do not drink only Genesee. I also enjoy Guinness, Wiehenstephaner, Taylor's Landlord Ale, and others. What I do not like is feeling like I have been punched in the mouth with a ton of bitter, skunky hops. I grew up on Genesee. My Dad drank it. So I continued to drink Genesee for many years. I stopped drinking altogether for about ten years and just started up again about three years ago. Today was the first Genesee I had in a very long time. I can not see paying $15.00 a six pack for craft beers that assault my tongue with bitter skunk pee. I paid $13.00 for 30 cans of Genesee. I would pay more because I do enjoy the taste. This is my all time favorite Beer.

2.36/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This actually has a good appearance for the style it is, pristine, small bubbled white head, excellent clarity. Aroma was sweet corn. Hops absent.

Taste was extremely poor, metallic bitterness, no hop flavor. More corn. Lots of carbonation.

1.35/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

this one poured pissy yellow with no head a weird smell not of hops or any thing i could put my finger on.
the taste was bad not your average mass beer taste would stay away

2.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Yellow pour, actually professional looking, nice white head with retention and lacing, really, looks above average actually. Aroma was all cereal killer grains and corn, sweetness is in the air, but definitely not hop aroma.

Weird bitterness in the beer despite the lack of hops. I guess that is from the lack of barley too. Very metallic. Like 80s Metallica. Corn all up in this one. Mouthfeel of high carbonation and sugar. Pass.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.