Genesee Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BeerGenesee Beer
Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

View: Beers

Smooth to the finish
It is the one beer to have from one great brewery every time.

4.9/5  rDev +84.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Looks like Beer, smells like Beer, tastes like very good Beer, feels like brewed grains and carbonation fizz in my mouth. I am not ashamed to say this is my favorite Beer, and I love American Adjunct Lagers. aDjunct Lagers seem to be generally hated by most people on this website. They favor the heavily hopped and flavored micro craft brews. I do not drink only Genesee. I also enjoy Guinness, Wiehenstephaner, Taylor's Landlord Ale, and others. What I do not like is feeling like I have been punched in the mouth with a ton of bitter, skunky hops. I grew up on Genesee. My Dad drank it. So I continued to drink Genesee for many years. I stopped drinking altogether for about ten years and just started up again about three years ago. Today was the first Genesee I had in a very long time. I can not see paying $15.00 a six pack for craft beers that assault my tongue with bitter skunk pee. I paid $13.00 for 30 cans of Genesee. I would pay more because I do enjoy the taste. This is my all time favorite Beer.

4.86/5  rDev +83.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this beer ive drank very many for when getting home liquor store. i very much will enjoy the label it is very simple and not flash colors. taste is excellent and friendship ;) dont be turned off by beer haha. very good reccomend to liquor stores (other than?) have no receiving!

4.6/5  rDev +73.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +71.3%

Hi fellow beer lover's !
This beer needs to be judged for what it is. That is an old school American brew that is every bit as good, ( in my opinion better), than it's rivals : Pabst, Miller, Bud or Coor's. Genesee is very pleasant to drink with it's light hoppy taste and great carbonation. This beer pours crystal clear, taste's great for it's style and is a great value at about 13 bucks a case. I have and will continue to choose Genny over other premium beers because It tastes better !
I'm sure most of you know that PBR doesn't even brew their own beer anymore, it's brewed and put in Pabst cans by Miller Brewing Co. ? Genny is still brewed in Rochester NY. in the Genesee - High Falls Brewery.
It's your choice America !
Gotta go,..................... time for a Genny !

4.4/5  rDev +66%

Found this at a Local Pizza Carry out joint.. Thought I'd try it..Pours Golden Yellow.. Nice Smell. Easy to drink.. GOOD BEER flavor, Not to strong. Not watery.. Nice Lacing of the foam as I drank it..

A good GREAT tasting simple Lager..

And a Six pack of 16oz Cans was $3.99

If you can get it, TRY it at least ONCE..

4.38/5  rDev +65.3%

I hadn`t had it since 1980. I saw it and bought a 30 pack for 15.00. I was sold. Been drinking it or some other form of Genny since. I wish it were available in bottles here. It isn`t a fancy new age nose in the air type of beer. It is a beer drinkers beer. A sit down with my acoustic guitar on my deck in the summer beer.

4.35/5  rDev +64.2%

I picked up the Heritage 12 Pack today of Genesse today at Portchester Beer Dist. (great Place to go to get Beer) Now the Heritage 12 Pack comes with the Cream Ale and the 12 Horse Ale as well. The Beer is good better than some of the other Adjunct American Lagers and Better than Pabst. It dosen't really have a taste to it but most American Adjunct lagers but its a little bit Sweeter in taste . Overall its worth Trying .

4.2/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer and a good price- harder to find now in Southern Teir NY. Genny Cream is very good too, but can't find it anymore ontap- too bad most people drink tastless beers like bud, and coors- miller- all forigne owned now... Wish more poeple would support American Brewers. Thanks Genny for being in there !

4.18/5  rDev +57.7%

For this style of beer the appearance is slightly darker- still very typical. The smell has some adjucts(corn) but not offensive. The taste is smooth with more character than the average American Lager. Highly drinkable --great smooth taste (crisp/nice carbonation)!!! Can be used to wash down wings during the Super Bowl.

Poured a 24 oz tall boy into a styrofoam cup. Excellent head, smell of corn, malt and sweet. Taste: Excellent! The sweet smell is feign but not overpowering by any means. The smell of corn is also prevalent. Here in NJ a 24 oz tall boy costs $.99 cents. A case of 12, 24 oz tall boys cost a reasonable $10.99. A 30 pack costs $15.99. To be honest with you, this is definitely better than Budweiser, Coors and the other macro beers out there. I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone looking for a change of pace from the macro brews. Cheers!

3.99/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

appearance light yellow straw

smell not too much there nothing bad corn lightly hopped

taste clean refreshing as good as any of the macro beers

mouthfeel good carbonation level not heavy or too sweet

at this price point $12.99 for a 30 pack near me
its hard to beat for a watching the game beer.

3.93/5  rDev +48.3%

3.92/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden color with streaming bubbles and two fingers of rocky white head with lots of streaming bubbles.

Smells of barley, malts and a strong white bread smell.

Taste is well balanced beer that tastes of pilsner influences. Taste is somewhere between Miller Genuine Draft and Coors. I do taste some sweetness but not as much as the two mentioned beers.

The mouth feel is bubbly and lively with carbonation. A great wet refreshing feel that finishes real crisp and clean.

Overall I think for those that like the American lagers this is a very good beer and should not be overlooked. The price is hard to beat as well.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.