Genesee Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Pittsburgh has its "Iron City," Cincinnati has its "Hudepohl," and Rochester has its "Genny." The beer of my childhood and hometown is a long time staple of Rochester dive bars, back yard parties and Amerk hockey games...the later being where I reacquainted myself with this beverage during a trip home for the holidays. Those in the know refer to it as a "white boy," as in "I'll have a couple white boys please" ...It's sister beer, Genny Light, being a "blue boy"....i.e. the color of their respective cans.

Drink for the memories, not for the taste. :-)

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.89/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Decent, if unexceptional, AAL. So the usual descriptors apply - Smells like fresh corn, tastes like beer flavoured Soda pop. Ho hum.on the plus side -- Genny has a more robust mouthfeel, and is less cloyingly sweet than the other guys. Quaffable if boring as wallpaper.

3.24/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24 fl oz aluminum can acquired in Brooklyn for $0.92.

High C+ / ABOVE AVERAGE

2.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.44/5  rDev -10.9%

1.89/5  rDev -31%

3.07/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2.89/5  rDev +5.5%

I have a soft spot in my heart for Jenny. Is it good? Not particularly, but it isn't horrendous either. It is a good crap beer. It isn't something I would drink a lot of of over the course of an evening but for a light little beer for BBQ season, or after cutting the lawn on a hot day, it does the trick. I guess it is my go-to American generic beer.

Check the brewery if you ever find yourself in Rochester. The food is good and the location interesting.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

3.49/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hearing almost nothing but hate for this beer got me interested enough to buy a can.

Look: Pale, yellow, fizzy. Typical AAL.

Smell: Light cereal. Not much to go on. Pleasant.

Taste: Pretty good, but very light. Cereal grain, pale fruit.

Feel: A little more than water, but not much.

Overall: Greater than the sum of its parts. I normally go for a Black IPA or Russian Imperial Stout, yet I find myself enjoying this extremely light beer.

3.65/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is the worst beer on the planet. And for some reason, I love the hell out of it. It is the best American crap beer. Better than Coors, Bud, and Miller. I love this beer, but I guess my bias is from my Grandfather drinking this beer all his life and making me try it. In a way, I drink it in his memory. But I still like it for some reason....

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.09/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.4/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Corn. Tastes of corn, looks like corn, smells of corn. Tastes strong of grain with little hops. Drinks bigger than most similar beers. Full flavored and every sip keeps it's flavor for some time. Though that aftertaste isn't always great.

4.54/5  rDev +65.7%

Hi fellow beer lover's !
This beer needs to be judged for what it is. That is an old school American brew that is every bit as good, ( in my opinion better), than it's rivals : Pabst, Miller, Bud or Coor's. Genesee is very pleasant to drink with it's light hoppy taste and great carbonation. This beer pours crystal clear, taste's great for it's style and is a great value at about 13 bucks a case. I have and will continue to choose Genny over other premium beers because It tastes better !
I'm sure most of you know that PBR doesn't even brew their own beer anymore, it's brewed and put in Pabst cans by Miller Brewing Co. ? Genny is still brewed in Rochester NY. in the Genesee - High Falls Brewery.
It's your choice America !
Gotta go,..................... time for a Genny !

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

For some reason I got the urge to drink this beer again earlier today after realizing I hadn't had one of these in years, so I stopped at a local beverage beer pretty close to my house after work that I sometimes buy craft beer from and picked up a 24 oz. can of this for all of $1.08 total cost. Poured into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a clear, light golden color with lots of streams of little bubbles fairly rapidly and continuously rising to the beer's surface. Initially has a head that's about 2/3 to 3/4 of an inch thick when first poured that settles to some cluster swirls of foam on the beer's surface along with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Decent lacing. Fairly weak aromas of some corn and barley/malt sweetness and no discernible hop aroma. The taste is pretty much the same, with some fairly sweet malts and corn and not much else. Perhaps a slight metallic taste. And again, no discernible hop presence that my palate could detect. Not bad overall, just average, and exactly what you'd expect tastewise for this style of beer. Better than most if not all Anheuser Busch, Miller, and Coors beers I've had. I'd put this on par with macro adjunct lagers such as PBR, Black Label, and Strohl's. I think I prefer PRB just slightly over this though, Has a fairly crisp, also smooth, light to medium body with moderate carbonation. has a clean finish. Not bad at all for what it is, but not really what most of us craft beer aficionados would likely consider to be a good, and certainly not a great, beer either.

Eric

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A distinguished elder of the AAL family.

More flavor than PBR, a little less hops than Miller Higher Life. Seems to be better put together though, balanced. Light color, enough malt to notice and hops present. All in all a good effort. It's also consistent and cheap. Just the thing for when those old retired Army Vets gather in the kitchen.

Buy it, drink it and enjoy it.

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.