Genesee Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Genesee BeerGenesee Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits and hops from the Yakima Valley.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-17-2001

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Recently bought and really liked the Bock, so figured I would give this a try.
Color - maize. No amber so no roasted grains.
Smell - no hop aroma, just a corn-over-barley subtle sweetness.
Taste - limp, uninspiring. I imagine it'd be quite refreshing served ice cold on a hot day but in late March it's a disappointment. Flavor is what the smell would suggest although flat. At first I detected a bit of metallic and maybe the slightest bit of vanilla-esque but 8 oz in it's just not much to say.
Feel - average. Not much of an aftertaste but seems more corn than barley.
Overall - less than I expected or hoped. At least there's a guilty pleasure to the Cream Ale. They'll probably still be around for Memorial Day rafting on Penn's Creek or the Susquehanna River.

Revisiting this review as I've purchased a couple more cases since. While still not as good as their Bock I have actually gotten comfortable with this being my cheapo beer. Not as good overall as PBR but a few dollars less makes it a good rafting / kayaking beer.

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The look is as to be expected for the style. Golden straw appearance with a thin rim. Lacing is sticking to the mug. Heavily carbonated. Nose of bread, corn and alcohol. Taste is a lot like the nose. Decent bitterness from hops and carbonation. There's a sweetness to this beer that balances with the bitterness, and hardly an offensive flavor to hold it back, making it very drinkable.

Overall, I'm a fan of this brew. When I think of tiering my budget beers, this is between my bottom of the barrel, acceptable beer - High Life - and my go-to budget, session beer - PBR. It's better than High Life, but not as good as PBR. First tried this 4-5 years ago when it appeared in 24 oz cans for $1.10 at the local six pack shop. I now live in VA and the local grocery store has a solid beer selection (the best in town) and they sell 30 packs of this. Picked one up for a little less than $17. Not bad at all. No regrets.

2.86/5  rDev +4.4%

3.92/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden color with streaming bubbles and two fingers of rocky white head with lots of streaming bubbles.

Smells of barley, malts and a strong white bread smell.

Taste is well balanced beer that tastes of pilsner influences. Taste is somewhere between Miller Genuine Draft and Coors. I do taste some sweetness but not as much as the two mentioned beers.

The mouth feel is bubbly and lively with carbonation. A great wet refreshing feel that finishes real crisp and clean.

Overall I think for those that like the American lagers this is a very good beer and should not be overlooked. The price is hard to beat as well.

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%

2.17/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A fitting end to 2015 will be this, a 40 ouncer I picked up in northern Ohio on my way back to Massachusetts. I am a fan of all 40s, so long as they have nothing to do with Ed Hardy and are not being very obviously marketed toward the homeless.

Pours like a macro. Smells like a dull macro with very minimal adjunct nodes: cereal grain and water, basically. Tastes a bit more adventurous and entirely pleasant throughout: starts off with barley, seltzer, and corn, leads to a mildly yeasty middle of adjunct grains, and finishes like pabst, with some light metallic biterness against grain. Nice aftertaste with some inexplicable nodes of artificial vanilla.

The fake vanilla is this beer's trademark, sort of like how Grain Belt has a pleasant finish reminiscent of baby aspirin. I don't know if this is quite up to GB-level macro goodness, but it's definitely one of the best 40 options you can find.

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.92/5  rDev +6.6%

24oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Light yellow color with a 1/2-finger head that quickly settles
S: A mix of corn/rice/wheat/hops
T: Light, mostly adjunct grains, a hint of hops
M: Light-bodied, a hint of hops, a bit crisp, better than MBC but unremarkable
O: A buck for 24oz makes this better than the big boys but there are many I'd turn to for their quality even if more expensive before drinking more of this

2.77/5  rDev +1.1%

1.63/5  rDev -40.5%

First time having this beer surprisingly, as I am a college student and am unfortunately surrounded by cheap buzz beers. I thought the beer had a decent look, more of a golden color rather than piss. The smell is rough at best. To me this beer is very tasteless, I had to take 4 sips just to come to a judgement. The best part of this beer is the mouth feel. I was surprised at the carbonation, it was right on. It tickled the tongue if you will but didn't sting or hurt the nostrils. So this was my first beer review, hopefully it wasn't awful. I just love beer and Beeradvocate!

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.9/5  rDev +78.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Looks like Beer, smells like Beer, tastes like very good Beer, feels like brewed grains and carbonation fizz in my mouth. I am not ashamed to say this is my favorite Beer, and I love American Adjunct Lagers. aDjunct Lagers seem to be generally hated by most people on this website. They favor the heavily hopped and flavored micro craft brews. I do not drink only Genesee. I also enjoy Guinness, Wiehenstephaner, Taylor's Landlord Ale, and others. What I do not like is feeling like I have been punched in the mouth with a ton of bitter, skunky hops. I grew up on Genesee. My Dad drank it. So I continued to drink Genesee for many years. I stopped drinking altogether for about ten years and just started up again about three years ago. Today was the first Genesee I had in a very long time. I can not see paying $15.00 a six pack for craft beers that assault my tongue with bitter skunk pee. I paid $13.00 for 30 cans of Genesee. I would pay more because I do enjoy the taste. This is my all time favorite Beer.

2.36/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This actually has a good appearance for the style it is, pristine, small bubbled white head, excellent clarity. Aroma was sweet corn. Hops absent.

Taste was extremely poor, metallic bitterness, no hop flavor. More corn. Lots of carbonation.

4.6/5  rDev +67.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.12/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.2/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.76/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Genesee Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.