Walt & Henry | Earth Eagle Brewings

Added by jaasen64 on 01-07-2013

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

32oz screw-cap growler filled at the brewery on Saturday (2 days ago). Description: dark gruit with sweet flag (a fav of Walt Whitman and Henry Thoreau), sweet gale, and wild rosemary. Poured into HF stemmed glass.

A- Pours a dark reddish brown that appears a mostly opaque jet black in the glass. Not much of a head or lacing. When poured a little bit more aggressively a thin head appears that leaves some spotty lacing. Decent consistent rising carbonation.

S- Strong aroma of rosemary, dark malts, pepper, herbs that give it a little bit of a spiciness. Aroma is very powerful and hits you as soon as you open the growler. Very interesting and hard to explain as I'm not really sure what sweet flag and gale is supposed to smell like.

T- Very flavorful but considerably different then in the aroma. Taste is definitely more sweet, without as much peppery spiciness that I picked up in the aroma. Flavors consist of rosemary, light dark malts, a slight floraly sweetness probably attributed to the gale, a faint hint of spicy pepper, and finishes with more rosemary. Very well balanced and nicely flavorful.

M- Medium bodied, light carbonation, very easy drinking. Slightly watery and could use a bit more carbonation (although it might have been how the growler was filled), but overall a fairly nice feel.

O- I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience with gruits and I came into drinking this one thinking I didn't really care for the style. Needless to say Earth Eagle completely turned me around. This beer had a nice mixture of flavors that provided for a very flavorful beer that I really enjoyed. I recommend checking these guys out, you will not regret it!

Walt & Henry from Earth Eagle Brewings