Ruby Red Grapefruit IPA

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 8
4.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Once more, the Tavour service comes through for The CANQuest (tm) is a big way! I may not be buying many bottled beers through them, but you CAN bet your bottom dollar that I am snapping up CANs as they become available. I have really enjoyed access to the Wildcard beers thus far & they are only about an hour from my mother's place in Chico, CA.

From the CAN: "Limited Release"; "70 IBU"; "Experience the Unexpected"; "Subtle sweetness of grapefruit, offset by lingering bitter finish[.] Hops: Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic".

I am curious as to how grapefruit equates to sweetness, but we shall see. This one is a perfect follow-on to my previous one, Matchless' Citra + Simcoe 4 Ever since this uses the same hops & ups the ante with Mosaic. I began with a Crack! of the vent & a slow, gentle Glug since it is a) getting late, b) a Pint CAN & c) cleaning up a spill is not my fave at this hour. Even so, it really wanted to foam on its own, formong just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention that went the extra mile and left some great lacing in its wake. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Interestingly, the nose was more tropical from the Mosaic than grapefruit from the Citra and the Simcoe cattiness was likewise muted! Mmm. This is going to be interesting. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach and very soft on the tongue, like Simcoe the Kitty was softly padding around. Man, the taste was REALLY nice - it was almost as tropical fruity sweet as I CAN stand, but the grapefruit bitterness of the Simcoe held in in check at the edges and then Simcoe the Kitty pounced from the shadows with a minty, pine cattiness, like she had just finished doing her business in a stand of pine trees. Oh my! If I liked Citra + Simcoe, I loved the ménage à trois of Citra, Simcoe + Mosaic! I picture Simcoe the Kitty juggling a grapefruit, an orange, a mango, a papaya & a guava. She's very talented & this was quite a juggling act. Finish was dry, but on the cutting edge of semi-dry, keeping its bitterness in check throughout. If it were a DIPA, I might dun it for being low in its bitterness, but as an AIPA, I have no CANplaints. I may begin weeping when I kick this one. 8=(

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

2017-05-29
16oz can served in a pint glass. Best by 7/17/17. Given to me by @mr-jj.

Pours clear straw yellow with a nice sized creamy looking head. Smell is grapefruit juice and hops.

Taste is grapefruit. Also a little malt. Good, but kind of one dimensional.

Mouthfeel is medium, pretty pleasant. Tasty beer, if you want a grapefruit juice bomb.

Ruby Red Grapefruit IPA from Wildcard Brewing