Hopsessed | Petoskey Brewing Company

Alströms:

Reviews by jmich24:
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

$2.79 16oz can. This has been getting a little bit of hype around me so I figured I'd try a can. Unfortunately, no canning date (come on, guys..), but I know it was bottled fairly recently.

Smells sweet and malty one whiff, then piney the next, and then grapefruity the next. I have no idea why. On the whole, I'd say it primarily smells like super fresh hops... piney hop resin oozing in this one. The flavor is pretty bitter pine with a nice grapefruit juice and rind vibe. The feel is pretty nice with a medium/heavy body with a not-too-prickly carbonation.

I like what's going on here. Ideally, I'd like more cohesiveness, but it's tasty. I find it strange that I get pretty intense sweetness initially, and then a very resinous, bitter finish and aftertaste. This is definitely a DIPA worth seeking -- especially for the price.

3.56/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Batch 101. 22 oz bottle. Bottle says 119 IBU's. Not sure about the age on this one. Batch number doesn't mean much without any sort of reference. I do like this it though, it hides the 9.1% ABV very well. Maybe a little too heavy on the simcoe hops.

Head retention is really good... it's been in the glass for 20 min, and still has 1/8" across the top. There's plenty of lacing, as well. Mouthfeel is good, but not great. it's not as balenced as some of my favorite IIPA's. I would drink this again, but I won't seek it out...

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

3.52/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of Petoskey Brewing Company's Hopsessed Double IPA last week for $3.59 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was looking for a couple new beers from this brewery while I was in the area and since the can said this was a special release I thought I better give it a try while I have the chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice, I like the hop cones on it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a darker golden color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking DIPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the fist to show up and they impart a floral and piney like aroma with just a little bit of spicy hops showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a slight grainy, slight toasted malt, caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas with a slight amount of doughy yeast and slight boozy aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but i wish there were some citrus hops to liven up the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single hoppy aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which show up a good deal and they impart some caramel malt, slightly grainy, lightly toasted, and sweet malt like aromas with the caramel malt aromas seeming to stick out the most and there's just a slight boozy flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that lingers just slightly with a floral, piney hop, sweet malt and caramel malt like aftertaste. The taste was nice, but it seemed like it was a little too balanced for a DIPA.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly sticky, slightly boozy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but it was a little thick and sticky for the style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a slightly above average example of the style, but to me it was very similar to their IPA and it pretty much had the same hop profile just with a lot more malts, plus just like their IPA I didn't find this beer to be all that memorable. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly sticky, slightly boozy, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job of holding my attention, I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I think I would start to get bored of the hop profile and the balance. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought this was a pretty nice looking DIPA. What I liked the least about this beer was the Balance and that the hop profile was just a little bland, if those things were worked on this might be a memorable IPA. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one doubt, it's just hard to justify buying this again when it's pretty easy to find a DIPA that I enjoy more. I can't say I would recommend it, but if you like your DIPA's balanced then I think this is worth checking out. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I found to be very similar to their IPA it just seems like they added a lot more malts and little more hops to it and called it good. This isn't my favorite Petoskey Brewing Company beer and it's for sure no a favorite DIPA. Better luck next time guys, this one could use just a little more work.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a dark golden orange color into my glass. The nose follows the color with lots of malt in nose of this DIPA. I think the sweetness of the malt really overshadows the simcoe hops they say are used in this beer. The mouth feel is fine for this type of beer. Overall this is a little too malt forward for my taste in DIPA's.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark gold. Thick, medium, off white head lasts a while.

Smells malt, pine, floral, earthy, pepper.

Tastes more doughy malt than anything else. Some pepper and piney hops follow. Finish is dry with an earthy linger. Full side of medium body and smooth lower medium carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%