Hauenstein | New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company
Minnesota, United States
hauensteinbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Hauenstein Beer is crafted from a classic recipe of well-balanced malt, corn and a little hop character. Its golden color and palatable flavor creates a popular session beer.

Added by TastyTaste on 02-24-2004

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

3.09/5  rDev -16.7%

Living 30 miles from New Ulm, I have encountered this beer several times.

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - It pours golden yellow with a 1-finger white head. Try not to blink, or you might miss the head; it fades rather quickly. Lacing is minimal. All in all, not much for looks.

S - mostly light grains; some hoppy bitterness

T - This is not exactly my style of beer. The taste is not bad, but not great. The smell was a good indication--grainy with a fair amount of bitterness. Quite refreshing.

M - decent mouthfeel; good carbonation

D - goes down pretty well

I would probably not buy this. In fact, I've never bought a Hauenstein. I only drink it when friends offer it to me. If you want an ok lager for a low price, Hauenstein is the way to go. If you have a few more bucks to spend, New Ulm produces many better options.

3.19/5  rDev -14%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. brown returnable bottle (the case states their motto "A Beer with a Little Character"). Cap features a small German-looking character cutting stone.
Pale straw color, with a small white head. Smells pungently of yeast, wheat, bread, and cotton candy. This nearing my 20th bottle of this case, so I have developed a taste for this beer's strong and unique flavor. Tastes very strongly of wheat and yeast. This tastes almost like a hefe-weizen. Taste is smooth and grainy, with hints of banana included. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but somehow full in it's robust flavor. This one took me a couple bottles before I started to accept it. It is a really cheap beer, $12 for a case of returnable bottles. Give it a shot if you are ever in this beer's tiny distribution area, Southern Minnesota (as far as I know).

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

3.56/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a fizzy yellow with a thick white head that doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is milled grain, something like mineral alcohol, a little pondwater. The taste has a slight mineral tang, with corny sweetness and a mild hop bitterness. It's fizzy and clean to the palate. A decent beer - would've liked it better, probably, on a hot summer day.

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle purchased from Total Wine. Poured into pint glass.

Great golden color and palatable flavor, a typical lager, but above average to good lager.

No hops in this one, but very drinkable beer.

I could see myself purchasing this one in the future.

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%

Hauenstein Beer. The name says it all, beer. That's what this is, classic adjunct lager in all it's, ahem, glory. Pours a clear how the fuck should I know, drank it from the bottle. I'm sure it's clear as a bell and yellow, as it should be. Smells like basic brewers malted barely and corn. Clean. Taste is sweat, corny and lightly bready, again, clean. No hop character to speak of. Look, as far as adjunct laden lager goes, this one is really good.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hauenstein from New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company