Hauenstein | New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company

New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company
Minnesota, United States
hauensteinbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Hauenstein Beer is crafted from a classic recipe of well-balanced malt, corn and a little hop character. Its golden color and palatable flavor creates a popular session beer.

Added by TastyTaste on 02-24-2004

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into Bud American Ale pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger white fizzy head that fades quickly. Color is a clear light straw yellow. No lace either. Nothing to fancy going on so far.

Aroma: Grains, citrus hops, some bananas and cloves. Very interesting for an adjunct lager. It reminds me of a dulled down Schells Hefe. I could be way off here, but I think this is pretty interesting and I dig it.

Taste: Grains come out first, but then I get get the clove and banana flavor as well. The hops are dulled down here but the taste is very unique for an adjunct lager. It definitely tastes like the category, but it has some added flavors to it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and a little smooth over the palate. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky grain flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I can see why this adjunct is rated higher than most. I am not being biased in my review, and this beer simply has got a lot more flavor going on with it. It fits the style well, but has a bonus with it. Definitely worth a try if lagers are your thing. Very drinkable.

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

no real head, no lace, just pale golden nothing. Smell was must and moldy grain. The feel was too light, essentially non existent with just a light bread like taste. Overall this was just not very good, it tastes old and has no life or character. just dont go there again

Naturally, following a hiatus, The CANQuest (TM) returns to the familiar territory of the AAL. I have to give big ups to Chaz for his recent shipment of CANs and other assorted goodies. I am assembling his return package for shipment by the end of the week.

I realize how much I missed the auditory nature of CANned beer each time I experience the Crack & Glug and this was no different. I got a finger of foamy, bone-white head from my pour, but it was short-lived, fizzing its way into the atmosphere. Color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had some cereal qualities, corn especially, but it has been long enough since my last one that I CANnot be sure how prevalent it is. Mouthfeel was medium and it had the usual taste of lager sweetness stepped on by unwelcome adjuncts. This is pretty standard fare for the style. Finish was lightly sweet with more of the samey same. It is nothing new for The CANQuest (TM), but I may keep the CAN, since it is attractive.

3.19/5  rDev -14%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains, slightly sweet. Taste is heavy on the corn, some sweetness and a touch of malts. feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent but unspectacular beer.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Ladies and Gentlemen....I have found my White Buffalo.

Been wanting to try this storied label for years and finally saw it while in St. Cloud. Not cheap for a Macro style beer but well worth it. After opening up the 12 pack of bottles the label looked familiar and I remember distributing this when I was in college working at a local beer distributor in the 80's and this at that time was a cheap off brand.

A-I'll call it gold..clear...little head...

S-The smell is different for this style and has almost a banana bread scent ...very sweet and sticky smelling...I like..

T-Pretty sweet for this style...bet the corn bill is high in this one....maybe that is what gives off the sticky sweet aroma.

M-For as sweet and corny as this tastes it is also pretty clean and smooth drinking.

O-This is really sliding down nicely. A nice sweeter style American Adjunct Lager with more flavor than almost all in this style. Totally different animal than Premium which I expected.

Ratings per style...

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting bottle from Mothman (thanks Ben). The label looks old school, like I imagine a beer looking in the 50's or 60's. The beer is clear and pale golden colored, thin wet foam, classic lager. The aroma is muted, neutral but leaning towards malts. A hint of bavaria but also a hint of midwestern corn. The taste is also understated malt, not too different from Budweiser if memory serves. Very drinkable as it should be, pretty damn tasty for the style and much appreciated.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer pours a clear golden-straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, toffee, and hints of darks fruits and butter. The taste has all the subtleties and nuances of the aroma, but they are all a bit stronger. The mouthfeel is appropriately light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is the best American Macro Lager I have had by far. I could easily drink this again.

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear straw color with a small head that quickly vanished leaving little in its wake. Just a few specks of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma of cereal grains. Bready with a hint of pepper as well.

Clean, pale lager flavor. A little sweet for my taste. What sets this adjunct lager apart is its distinct Noble hop flavor. If it was drier I would compare this to a German lager.

Light body that I wish had a little more carbonation. Otherwise solid.

More hoppy than 95% of adjunct lagers on the market but the sweet malt does not suit my tastes.

3.56/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, took me long enough to get to this.
Enjoyed the first one so much I had a second.
Aroma is kinda' skunky, in a way quite a few a lagers are such as other Schell's beer and Point beer is. Maybe a little sulfur. It's not horrible or bad, but it masks the malt and hop character. I'm so familiar with it that it's not off-putting.
Looks good with a darker yellow to gold and nearly clear body and firm white head with good stamina.
Adjunct is full on corn flavor. A streak of malt appears and little hops to be found. Enough bittering, but trends towards sweetness more than bitter.
Heavy feel for beer of this style. As one of my drinking partners noted it has a feel like a malt liquor, obviously minus the alcohol. It is quite smooth and the tingling of the carbonation is enjoyable.
This is not a bad beer, if you don't mind a heavy adjunct taste. It has a place and time.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A piece of brew from New Ulm in snow country usa. Independent brewery. Just visit their website, it's heart warming. First time I had one out of the box I immediately went back and bought another 12 pack. You know, in case the store burned down and I couldn't get more. $10/12 pack bottles = very affordable. I also picked up a 6-er of Hamms which this beer utterly smokes.

Appearance (3) : sudsy white 2 finger head. Nice work. It recedes quick but it's pretty to look at.

Smell (3.5) : well-done toast, dark grain, fresh wheat and cilantro. Hint of lemon/orange sweetness.

Taste (5) : This is what beer is supposed to taste like. At least, in lager form. Absolute perfection. I dare you to find an american lager priced this cheap that tastes better than this swill. Beautiful, fresh wheat, hints of corn and just a little adjunct, but smooth as a baby's hind end. I've had a couple that have tasted off, so I'm not sure if their quality control is 100% - after all, they are a small, small brewery that brews ONLY this beer. I'm sure their staff is less than a dozen people. If you buy a 12 pack of bottles you're bound to find 90% of them absolutely unforgettable...

Mouthfeel (4) : carbonated and crisp. Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

Overall (4.12) : The hops are so well balanced with the malt it's almost a crime. You don't find hop flavor in american lager, and when you do, it's certainly not balanced like this. My friends died when I brought this beer over for a camp fire. The conversation immediately went from town hall discussions to "where in the hell did you find this beer? And where can I get some? Like tomorrow?". They were happy. I was happy. Hauenstein makes people happy. Just try it.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle marked 15069 001111 at 42 degrees into SA “Perfect Pint”
From a trade with @TheAdjunctHippie
Aroma of wet grain and corn
Head large (4.5 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to a three mm ring and partial layer
Lacing poor – rare small island of tiny bubbles
Body straw yellow, clear, effervescent
Flavor begins with a marked dimethyl sulfide flavor which ameliorates fairly rapidly; no hops noticed, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4.5, Overall 4

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. brown returnable bottle (the case states their motto "A Beer with a Little Character"). Cap features a small German-looking character cutting stone.
Pale straw color, with a small white head. Smells pungently of yeast, wheat, bread, and cotton candy. This nearing my 20th bottle of this case, so I have developed a taste for this beer's strong and unique flavor. Tastes very strongly of wheat and yeast. This tastes almost like a hefe-weizen. Taste is smooth and grainy, with hints of banana included. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but somehow full in it's robust flavor. This one took me a couple bottles before I started to accept it. It is a really cheap beer, $12 for a case of returnable bottles. Give it a shot if you are ever in this beer's tiny distribution area, Southern Minnesota (as far as I know).

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Straw color with a bright white 2 finger head which fades fairly quick, leaving a thin disc of foam on top. The aroma has hops, grain, yeast, and is somewhat sweet.

The beer tastes just like it smells. It is somewhat sweet, with hops, grain, and yeast. Also tastes like there is a light amount of banana flavor. Nice balance from the hop bitterness.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink. Very smooth. I look for this beer in cans or bottles when I visit New Ulm. One of my go to lagers.

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled yesterday on 1/3/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass. The alcohol content (ABV) isn't listed so I am guessing between 4.5% to around 5%.

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a thin white head. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of grains with a hint of lemon zest. Bit more going on with the taste as there is a hint of sweet corn also. Really tasty and is very smooth. Wasn't sure at first about this one but is one of the best ones of this style that I tried. Lighter-medium bodied with good carbonation. A great brew of this beer style.

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hauenstein from New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company