Heretic Hefeweizen | Church Street Brewing Company

Added by TMoney2591 on 07-14-2013

Reviews by mjc3151:
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a sampler glass at Barrington Brew Fest 2013.

After filling the 'Burbs with some quality lagers, Church Street offers us a nice German-style hefe. I'm game. This stuff pours a cloudy OJ-straw topped by a finger of bone foam. The nose comprises orange zest, banana puree (put some bananas in a blender and then come talk to me), light cracked wheat, and a mild bit of clove. The taste brings in more of the same, with the orange and banana combining for a nice juice-blend flavor, while a heavier-than-earlier contingent of clove marches in to fill in the picture. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly grainy feel. Overall, a damn solid hefe, particularly if you like the fruitier examples of the style.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

16 oz pint @ Stone House in Lemont, IL
Saw the tap handle, didn't think much of it, my buddy asked what it was and we got a nice explanation of the brewery and the beer so I decided go for it.

A: As it was being poured form the tap I noticed it was tons of white foam that kept having to be dumped even after a pour, I thought this was going to be highly carbonated. The head settled down and sat at 2 fingers, just perfect.

S: The smell was a bit on the metallic side however I am going to blame that glass on this one. Otherwise just your normal banana clove hefe sent.

T: Did pick up that metallic taste but the beer was so overpowering with its rich banana, clove, fresh cracked wheat taste, it didn't matter.

M: The mouthfeel was extraordinary, just what you would expect in a hefe, not light and watery but heavy and intense, loads of flavor.

O: This is a great beer, solid hefe form my state, I will drink this one again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%