I Drink Therefore I Amber | Fairhope Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by RblWthACoz:
3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice amber brown hue. A lot of lacing on the glass with this one. Mild nutty nose. Grainy amber character on the flavor. A bit muddled, I'd have to say. Nice drinker. Decent on a cooler day, which this is. Would probably go very well with food.

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I Drink Therefore I Amber, is a fantastic mahogany colored brew served in a pint glass. I sampled a pint while visiting the brewery. It has a smooth and very clean taste that goes down nicely with no burn or aftertaste. There is no off-putting smell, just a strong aroma that is inviting and this brew would go good with food or by itself. A classic American Amber.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I spent the afternoon at the beautiful beach at Gulf Shores, AL, and now trying some local beers. Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by caramel malts. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, some caramel, but not nearly as much as the aroma, light bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I may b**ch & complain at times, but one of the great things about living in PA with our arcane alcohol laws is that we attract brewers & breweries of every shape & stripe. This would be a great example thereof & a fine addition to my contribution to New Beers Sunday (Week 636).

From the bottle: "Lower Alabama's Craft Brewery".

Both the cap & the label art feature what I believe to be a stork and I appreciate it bringing me not a baby, but beer! I just heard from the brewery - it is a pelican. The only thing is, I have to prise off the cap before I can get at it. Having done so, I decided that a gentle pour was in order, In keeping with my New Year's resolution not to be so aggressive with my bottled beers. I have also become masterful at the in-glass swirl, this time raising two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, light-tan head with moderate retention. I got some modest lacing for my efforts. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was more bready than the previous Amber today, more aligned with the early microbrewery concept of the style. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was pretty sweet, very bready with some light caramel, but very reminiscent of thirty years ago.

Digression alert: I was turned onto better beer by this point, but microbreweries were still nascent. I reported for duty on NAS Alameda, CA in July 1987, in S.F.'s East Bay and in talking to someone, I got word of Triple Rock Brewery in Berkeley. I began making routine visits & American Amber Ale was one of the flagships. As more places came on, Amber became a standard until hops edged them out in favor of AIPAs. Recent micro Ambers tend to be more hop-driven, while this one was a throwback.

I had kind of forgotten what this variation on the then-familiar theme tasted like until now. It had a very doughy, bready sweetness with a touch of caramel and only a light pine hoppiness. If you are looking for hops, you should look elsewhere, but if you want to do some time travel, this is the beer. Finish was semi-dry with the hops beginning to assert themselves, but not overpowering the malts.

Man, I cannot believe how quickly 30 years has gone by! This seemed so wild to me back then. It was still the heyday of the macro lager & my two faves were Michelob (Amber) & the new MGD, so this kind of beer had some kick, especially in terms of hoppiness. Now, I am kind of jonesing for a hops fix.

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3-16

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice rich Amber with a cream colored head that retains well.

Nuts, spice, malt whole bread in the nose, backed by a touch of pine and floral hops.

Up front is a spicy hop hit with a creamy mouthfeel that slides into nut, bread, and caramel malt notes. Finishes dry with floral hop notes.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, dark maize color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of pale malt, acridity, burnt malt, and a hint of alcohol. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of yeast, hint of alcohol, and a hint of sugar. Overall weak appearance, body and aroma are not pleasant, but the feel is decent.

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a shaker at World of Beer in Birmingham. The beer is indeed amber with a sticky off white head.

The nose is very floral. It is fresh and inviting.

The taste is like the aroma. Floral hops laid over a caramel malt base with some apple notes in the finish. I was expecting more of a traditional “C” hop Amber, so this was a nice change of pace.

The mouth is solid with a touch of slickness.

I would have another.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast