Raincloud Robust Porter | Foolproof Brewing Company

Foolproof Brewing Company
Rhode Island, United States
foolproofbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Raincloud is the perfect “stay at home” brew. Dark, smooth, mysterious—this rich and flavorful porter is brewed with chocolate and crystal malts and a subtle blend of European hops. Raincloud is the ideal accompaniment for a lazy day of movie watching or reading.

Added by SenorHops on 02-12-2013

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This was a gift at the brewery to The CANQuest (TM) back in February when I visited on my way to the Inaugural RI Brew Fest at the Pawtucket Armory. I had to await approval of my picture as I only had the one CAN and I dislike pictures of spent beers.

From the CAN: "It's pouring outside, so pour yourself something inside ..."; "Raincloud is the perfect 'stay at home' brew. Dark, smooth, mysterious - this rich and flavorful porter is brewed with chocolate and crystal malts and a subtle blend of European hops. Raincloud is the ideal accompaniment for a lazy day of movie watching or reading."; "Your Life. Your Beer."; "Experience Responsibly".

The Crack revealed that this CAN was not as full as its brother, but I went with an inverted Glug all the same. Once the cascade began to settle, I had a dense finger of foamy, deep-brown head with excellent retention. The beer looked like a glass of ink! Dark? ZERO light penetration! None anywhere, not even on the sides or at the edges. It must have been a deep, dark-brown but all I could see was blackness. The smell was smoky, liquified dark chocolate and my mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was full and the richness of the chocolate made it feel as though I were drinking a milkshake. A really smoky chocolate milkshake! The lacing that had begun to manifest itself was going to require a jackhammer to remove. Finish was dry, very smoky, very much dark chocolate, but the wee yeasties had done their job and there was no sweetness remaining from the malt. It is not raining today, but I do have a book that I am reading (Irvine Welsh's latest - "Skagboys") so I think that I will take the brewery's advice and return to it.

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%

4.42/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got to "sample" a lot of this beer while hosting a beer tasting event at the liquor store I work at. I chose this brew because I was initially impressed with it, as were most of the customers who sampled it.

For the official review I poured the 12 oz can into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A- After an aggressive pour I get a beautiful jet-black, opaque body with amber highlights. The head is thick, bubbly , and mocha colored which rises slowly and reduces even slower, leaving some thick, uniform lacing and a thick layer of patchy foam on the surface of the beer.

S- Primarily fresh coffee beans, toasted malt, dark chocolate, and maybe even a subtle vanilla-toffee aroma. The aroma is upfront and inviting.

T- Upfront I get milk chocolate, espresso, and vanilla notes, this develops into a bittersweet chocolate, roasty, nearly charred malt flavor that leaves a perfect bitterness on the tongue that is characteristic of an excellent robust porter.

M- Thick and creamy with low carbonation.

Out of the three flagship beers that foolproof has released, I have to say that this is by far the best one. They really hit this out of the park. It hits all the high points of an excellent porter/stout - it looks nice, smells nice, tastes delicious, and carries a thick, robust body. It's definitely a sipper, not a beer that you would drink the whole six pack in one sitting. Hopefully foolproof will expand it's distribution so more people can experience this one. Try it if you can!

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark, nice foamy head, chocolate, and some char mixed about. Gambled on buying just one can, but now I've got to go and get more. Well done!

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz Foolproof branded can.

Appearance: dark brown to light black bodied beer that is opaque. The head is foamy and billowing in a light to medium khaki colored head. Good head retention and moderate lacing is present.

Smell: very roasty and notes of smoke, earth and chocolate. Smells like a proper american robust porter should.

Taste: Much the same as the nose. Pretty roasty which makes a moderately bitter bite first thing. Nice chocolate malts impart some sweetness to balance the big roasty profile. Light earthy hop and a hint of smoke. Finish is slightly bitter and is reminicent of a cup of straight black acidic coffee.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied porter with moderate carbonation. This drinks easy without any booze to it. Carbonation level is spot on.

Overall: This is a pretty underappreciated porter. I honestly had not heard of this beer until it was given to me as an extra in a trade. It is labeled as a robust porter and I reviewed it as such. I would definately have this beer again. I am impressed with Foolproof brewery; as this is my first beer from them and was pleasantly surprised with this brew. Bonus points for this beer being in a can.

Raincloud Robust Porter from Foolproof Brewing Company