Brett C. Ale

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Brett C. AleBrett C. Ale
Notes: A farmhouse Ale, brewed with Cascade and Citra Hops and a touch of Sea Salt.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 448
4.41/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

An outstanding beer! Poured from a bottle into tulip glass. Straw color with a nice fluffy head which dissipates, but never disappears. Minimal lacing. Very slight whiff of funk and hops. Tastes of slight herbal hop then the funk finishes it off.

A bit rough around the edges. Can't wait to pick up some more and lay it down for a bit.

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

Hazy dark orange with suspended sediment in the glass. Thin layer of white foam on the surface.

Brett aroma, typical horseblanket, dry musty wood, sandalwood.

Dried pineapple in the taste, characteristic of Brett Clausenii. Light fruity hop notes.
Tangy and drying, leathery Brett notes. Medium bodied and super dry.
Overall it's pretty enjoyable and a nice showcase of this isolated Brett strain.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale yellow with a white head. Has a Brett aroma with tart notes but but truly sour. Flavor is clean you get a nice fermentation taste, background notes of apple or pear and a bit of bubbles. Finish is clean with a pleasant aftertaste. This is nice but I would love the sour flavor to be amped up.

4.91/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the keg at "Just Tap'd" in Warner-Robins, GA. This beer is a murky golden yellow/orange color with a small white head. The smell and flavor reminds me of pine, very unique and I enjoyed the first sip but after each following sip it got better and better! I love this beer, the ABV is well hidden and it has no after taste. I highly recommend this beer.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a soft hazy golden orange, with a long lasting half inch head, and a good amount of lacing.

Smells like orange, grapefruit, and pear, with some soft musty attic funkiness, lemon, and something floral.

The Brett provides a nice funk here. Sometimes Brett provides a "musty basement" type funk, the feeling I get from this one is a "musty attic" type funk, because it's a definite down n' dirty type funk, but with a warm sunniness, like sunlight shining through the top window of a house into the attic. It's warm, soft, and nicely funky, with some sweet tart/smarties type flavor, and tons of hoppy citrus, grapefruit and orange rind and flesh. I don't get much of the salt, but I do feel a little bit of a briny flavor on my lips that lingers after the sip. This is really nice.

This is light bodied, with a fluffy, pillowy mouthfeel, and a moderate level of carbonation.

One of the best Prairie beers I've ever had- everything is in such nice balance and tandem here.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy gold, solid head and lacing.

Aroma: Tropical fruity hop and funk with a touch of something acidic.

Flavor: Follows the aroma with a bit of a toasty character.

Mouthfeel: Medium light bodied.

4.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tons and tons of Citra hop notes! Tropical fruit, citrus notes like orange and tangerine combine with a light funk and some Farmhouse Ale characteristic notes as well. Light bodied and hides the alcohol TOO well! Love it!

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a chill hazed gold with a pinky of cream colored head. Kind of clears, stays effervescent throughout. Average lacing & head retention

S: Mustyness & a little pear, a little Golden Delicious apple & grapefruit once warm, honeysuckle

T: Grapefruit & orange with a touch of salt & lemongrass. A little pear, salt, twang, pink grapefruit. Finishes with a little bit of floral flavor, salt, pineapple & grapefruit, a faint trace of brett, that shines through once warm

MF: Medium body, semi-firm carbonation

Drinks great, perfect summer time quencher that completely hides the ABV. Well worth a go, really enjoyed this

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Prairie Brett C, conditioned with brettanomyces claussenii, is an odd bird. Given the description 'a farmhouse ale, brewed with Cascade and Citra hops, and a touch of sea salt', it sounded right up my alley. Thought I would love it. It's good, but I don't love it.

The color is a hazy darker yellow, nearly opaque and unfiltered. I think it's a very inviting looking beer. The label artwork itself, awesome, as per is the norm with Prairie Artisan Ales. Very colorful and jumps off of the shelf at you.

The beer smells like a funky-ass tart beer that's been dry hopped with green apples and lemon. Smells wonderful!

The taste is what doesn't totally win me over. I get all the peppery goodness of a saison, with the funk from the brett, but very little of the salt. I, again, am reminded of the citrus that I picked up on from the nose, but it's all just a bit..underwhelming. The hops are starting to wrestle my palate, and picking up on an almost mango-ish flavor as it warms, but still I'm positive that the taste is the weakest part of this beer to me.

As it should per the style, it does finish crisp and dry. And just like that, a 500mL Prairie bottle is gone sooner than it feels like it should.

I enjoyed Brett C. and do wish that I had bought a 2nd bottle to let the brett evolve. The beer's description made me think it would be an amalgam of saison and gose, but to me it was pretty much all saison, and that's not at all a bad thing (as it is the intended style). Not my favorite Prairie, or saison, and certainly not my favorite beer with salt, but I do think I would buy again.

$8.99/500mL bottle