Consider Yourself Hugged

Jul 19, 2018
SCORE
World-Class
Consider Yourself HuggedConsider Yourself Hugged
Notes: Imperial Stout with Peanut Butter Roasted Coffee.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

4.1 by EMH73 from New York on Dec 05, 2021
3.32/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
by Sigmund from Norway

355 ml bottle, Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. Imperial stout with peanut butter roasted coffee. ABV is 11.9%. Pitch black colour, small tan head. Intense aroma of peanuts / peanut butter, roast malts and coffee. Medium sweet flavour, again with intense notes of peanuts and peanut butter, coffee in the background, hints of prunes. Moderate bitterness.

Jun 26, 2021

4.42 by nmann08 from Virginia on Dec 26, 2020

3.97 by Jsalz21 from New Jersey on Sep 23, 2020
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

Well now, as if the previous beers weren't enough of a jump start to the day, I also scored a Bottle (Eeek!) of this one from Tavour before we parted company. They were a good service, but their local delivery agent was an inflexible pain-inna-a** + I just felt like it was all adding to the backlog & so I stopped doing business with them.

From the Bottle (!): "Imperial Stout with Peanut Butter Roasted Coffee."

I was anxious to Pop! the cap on this one as it was all starting to catch up to me. I may need a nap after all of this. Once accomplished, I simply let it fly in a free-running C-Line pour into the awaiting glass. It evinced a pseudo-cascade that formed a brief finger of foamy, fizzy, rocky, deep-brown head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black-Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with garnet highlights at the edges. Nose smelled imprecisely like peanut butter & more like roasted/roasting peanuts.

When I was a lad, we had a fellow who roasted peanuts at a small Art Deco (!) stand downtown as well as El Capitan Roasters, not far from where I live now. The latter was mainly coffee, but they would/could also roast peanuts.

It is such a pleasant smell, as opposed to roasting/roasted chestnuts, I am pretty hearty, but that is one smell that will make me gag. They taste good, but that smell just evokes my gagging reflex.

Onward! Roasted/roasting peanuts & coffee on the nose. Check! Got it. Mouthfeel was bug, thick & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue. The taste was like a melding of two of my favorite flavors - deep, dark-roasted coffee & peanut butter!

Do you like P.B.? We had a spirited debate in my classroom once. Smooth v. Crunchy. A fave student, who happened to be a hardcore gangbanger, but respected/liked (?) me inadvertently ended it with "Crunchy! 'cause I like the feel of nuts in my mouth, yo!" I had to step out to keep from laughing as the classroom erupted. He fully owned it though & it became a running joke.

This had a kind of green peppery tang, as I believe that someone else noted. Not at all off-putting, though.

Dateline: USS Normandy (CG-60) as we were volunteered (!) by our overzealous skipper to transition from the Red Sea into the Persian Gulf! USS Princeton (CG-59), same hull-class, same capabilities, had just sussed out a floating mine & needed relief.Okay, kids, with two (2) gas turbine engines & a rooster tail, do you think that the ponderous, oil-burning boilers of the re-supply ship could keep up? NO! We were a day (or two) from UNREP & now, we would be bereft until we got (at least) into the Gulf of Oman! I was a MT501 (50-cal) gunner in 8/8/8 & when I came down from the 02-level the last morning before our rescheduled UNREP, the Mess Decks were empty. In the Salad Bar was a #3 CAN of peanut butter, a #3 CAN of sliced jalapeno peppers (in light oil) & a freezer-burnt loaf of white bread that had been "discovered" when the freezers were defrosted & emptied! With a sign reading "Self-Made PB & Jalapeno Sandwiches! Help Yourself".8=O I toasted two slices, assembled a sammich, slipped by my rack for a stogie & headed to the fantail for breakfast & a smoke. I would have died for some coffee & many were.

Wotta beer! Enjoyable throughout with its unending coffee & peanut butter melding presence. So many flights of memory, so many digressions, but so it is. Finish was semi-dry & I just kept licking my lips as I reminisced on my shipmates.

Crazy ship, but lifelong shipmates. I salute all of you on this quarantined morning!

Apr 17, 2020

4.5 by RiceOwls27 from Texas on Apr 10, 2020

3.66 by MykeJ from Minnesota on Mar 22, 2020

4.25 by Noelito76 from New York on Feb 24, 2020

4.2 by jakecattleco from California on Jan 12, 2020
2.39/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25
by Arjen from Netherlands

12 oz bottle from De Bierliefhebber webshop. Pours a pitch black colour and a decent brown head with pretty good retention. Aroma's of ground coffee and peanuts, blending surprisingly well. Retronasal it's peanuts, a bit sourish (?), firm roast. Flavour is light sour, roasted. Alcohole feel is moderate. Medium bodied. Nutty and sourish finish. Surely not how this is supposed to be?

Oct 11, 2019

4.18 by Pro_Magnon from Texas on Sep 08, 2019

4.09 by Nunya from Ohio on Aug 04, 2019
by mothman from Minnesota

Bottle. Tan head. Black color.

Peanut butter up front and all around. The coffee is kind of hard to find even as it warmed. Roasted and nutty. Chocolate and cocoa. Kind of fudgy.

Decent, but not worth the $8 price tag.

Jul 29, 2019

4.08 by monty79_1997 from Missouri on Jul 01, 2019

4.35 by TooGood from Minnesota on Jun 06, 2019
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by Bruno74200 from France

Sweet and strong. Thick and gourmet.
This imperial stout by Prairie Artisan Ales is hug alright but a firm and strong one.
Still a delight even if it's with artificial flavors added

May 30, 2019

4.54 by PDinunzi from New Jersey on May 17, 2019

4.18 by Herbertly from Washington on May 10, 2019
4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by ScruffySouthpaw from New York

Served in a red wine glass from the bottle.

Appearance: pours a deep dark black color resembling crude motor oil with a dark tan head which initially Rose maybe half a finger with a very hard pour.

Smell: I smell sweet caramel and coffee. It feels like a touch of toffee strong but light.

Taste: very complex a touch too sweet but you get used to it with subtle peanut and espresso tones. Sweet brown sugar to compliment it it becomes very addicting, not sure if lactose sugars were used in this beer but it feels like it was subtly fused with it.

Mouth: medium carbonation with a super full body and it comes off a very sticky.

Overall: what an absolute gem I absolutely would buy it again feels a little bit like Prairie Bomb minus the spiciness. Like a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake liquefied in a glass topped with raw crushed espresso bean. Salud!

May 10, 2019
4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by Brutaltruth from Ohio

From the Prairie folk in a bottle and in a snifter. This taking a risk brew
for me (I'm allergic to peanut butter---makes me break out in hives sometimes---sigh)
pours an oily pitch black with a nice head of brown foam that settles to a thick
ring, thin light pool, and shows some light lacing. Nose of rich peanut butter
and dark cocoa syrup with deep char and roast notes. Not a lot of
dimensions, but the dimensions that it gives are excellent. Flavors
follow the nose with rich nutty peanut butter, medium to heavy char,
dark coffee, and dark cocoa that mix exceptionally well. Very
nice mouth feel; full body, moderately slick, smooth, lightly
warming, and a roasted malt, cocoa, and peanut butter
forward finish,

Excellent brew, wish I could have more, but this 1/4 glass
is enough for me and risking some problems-----
ahhhh---the things I do for BA!

Cheers----and where is the Benadryl?!?!?!

Apr 30, 2019

4.4 by bshefftz from California on Apr 25, 2019
4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by TreyIsWilson from Michigan

A - Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Heavy amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is huge peanut butter and light dark chocolate.

T - The taste is peanut butter, milk chocolate, coffee and roasted malts.

M - Full body with medium carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel with a soft dry finish.

O - Very solid. The peanut butter is a nice addition to the dark chocolate and coffee. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Apr 19, 2019

4.25 by archero from Texas on Apr 04, 2019

4.04 by NickThaFish from New Mexico on Mar 29, 2019

4.39 by nruhlig from Minnesota on Mar 29, 2019

4.24 by Wisconsin_IPA_Lover from Wisconsin on Mar 13, 2019
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by Antg8989 from New Jersey

Rich milk chocolate, peanut butter and coffee in both the aroma and taste. This is thefirst beer I've had which absolutely nails the peanut butter. I've had several before that kind of did it, but this one does it best - and by a considerable margin. Well worth the price tag per bottle (12.99))

Mar 07, 2019

4.39 by nwhittin from Indiana on Feb 26, 2019
4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
by buschbeer from Ohio

12fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a Prairie snifter

This beer pours black and is topped with an inch of deep mocha head that leaves decent lacing.

It has a great peanut butter and chocolate aroma. The coffee almost smells like more of a dark chocolate aroma.

The taste is more chocolate and coffee. The peanut butter comes through in the aftertaste.

Full bodied with a smooth mouthfeel

I compare all coffee and peanut butter beer to the fine examples that Willoughby has set with Nut Smasher and Peanut Cup Coffee Porter. This beer pales in comparison. It is not bad, but as long as I have Willoughby, all others have a steep hill to climb.

Feb 24, 2019

4.5 by csfcmitchell from Texas on Feb 24, 2019
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%
by briandgilbert from Illinois

Powerful and taste is excellent!

Feb 23, 2019