Consider Yourself Hugged

From:
Prairie Artisan Ales

Oklahoma, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Consider Yourself HuggedConsider Yourself Hugged
Notes: Imperial Stout with Peanut Butter Roasted Coffee.
View: Beers
Reviews: 75 | Ratings: 238 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well now, as if the previous beers weren't enough of a jump start to the day, I also scored a Bottle (Eeek!) of this one from Tavour before we parted company. They were a good service, but their local delivery agent was an inflexible pain-inna-a** + I just felt like it was all adding to the backlog & so I stopped doing business with them.

From the Bottle (!): "Imperial Stout with Peanut Butter Roasted Coffee."

I was anxious to Pop! the cap on this one as it was all starting to catch up to me. I may need a nap after all of this. Once accomplished, I simply let it fly in a free-running C-Line pour into the awaiting glass. It evinced a pseudo-cascade that formed a brief finger of foamy, fizzy, rocky, deep-brown head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black-Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with garnet highlights at the edges. Nose smelled imprecisely like peanut butter & more like roasted/roasting peanuts.

When I was a lad, we had a fellow who roasted peanuts at a small Art Deco (!) stand downtown as well as El Capitan Roasters, not far from where I live now. The latter was mainly coffee, but they would/could also roast peanuts.

It is such a pleasant smell, as opposed to roasting/roasted chestnuts, I am pretty hearty, but that is one smell that will make me gag. They taste good, but that smell just evokes my gagging reflex.

Onward! Roasted/roasting peanuts & coffee on the nose. Check! Got it. Mouthfeel was bug, thick & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue. The taste was like a melding of two of my favorite flavors - deep, dark-roasted coffee & peanut butter!

Do you like P.B.? We had a spirited debate in my classroom once. Smooth v. Crunchy. A fave student, who happened to be a hardcore gangbanger, but respected/liked (?) me inadvertently ended it with "Crunchy! 'cause I like the feel of nuts in my mouth, yo!" I had to step out to keep from laughing as the classroom erupted. He fully owned it though & it became a running joke.

This had a kind of green peppery tang, as I believe that someone else noted. Not at all off-putting, though.

Dateline: USS Normandy (CG-60) as we were volunteered (!) by our overzealous skipper to transition from the Red Sea into the Persian Gulf! USS Princeton (CG-59), same hull-class, same capabilities, had just sussed out a floating mine & needed relief.Okay, kids, with two (2) gas turbine engines & a rooster tail, do you think that the ponderous, oil-burning boilers of the re-supply ship could keep up? NO! We were a day (or two) from UNREP & now, we would be bereft until we got (at least) into the Gulf of Oman! I was a MT501 (50-cal) gunner in 8/8/8 & when I came down from the 02-level the last morning before our rescheduled UNREP, the Mess Decks were empty. In the Salad Bar was a #3 CAN of peanut butter, a #3 CAN of sliced jalapeno peppers (in light oil) & a freezer-burnt loaf of white bread that had been "discovered" when the freezers were defrosted & emptied! With a sign reading "Self-Made PB & Jalapeno Sandwiches! Help Yourself".8=O I toasted two slices, assembled a sammich, slipped by my rack for a stogie & headed to the fantail for breakfast & a smoke. I would have died for some coffee & many were.

Wotta beer! Enjoyable throughout with its unending coffee & peanut butter melding presence. So many flights of memory, so many digressions, but so it is. Finish was semi-dry & I just kept licking my lips as I reminisced on my shipmates.

Crazy ship, but lifelong shipmates. I salute all of you on this quarantined morning!

2.39/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle from De Bierliefhebber webshop. Pours a pitch black colour and a decent brown head with pretty good retention. Aroma's of ground coffee and peanuts, blending surprisingly well. Retronasal it's peanuts, a bit sourish (?), firm roast. Flavour is light sour, roasted. Alcohole feel is moderate. Medium bodied. Nutty and sourish finish. Surely not how this is supposed to be?

Bottle. Tan head. Black color.

Peanut butter up front and all around. The coffee is kind of hard to find even as it warmed. Roasted and nutty. Chocolate and cocoa. Kind of fudgy.

Decent, but not worth the $8 price tag.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Sweet and strong. Thick and gourmet.
This imperial stout by Prairie Artisan Ales is hug alright but a firm and strong one.
Still a delight even if it's with artificial flavors added

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a red wine glass from the bottle.

Appearance: pours a deep dark black color resembling crude motor oil with a dark tan head which initially Rose maybe half a finger with a very hard pour.

Smell: I smell sweet caramel and coffee. It feels like a touch of toffee strong but light.

Taste: very complex a touch too sweet but you get used to it with subtle peanut and espresso tones. Sweet brown sugar to compliment it it becomes very addicting, not sure if lactose sugars were used in this beer but it feels like it was subtly fused with it.

Mouth: medium carbonation with a super full body and it comes off a very sticky.

Overall: what an absolute gem I absolutely would buy it again feels a little bit like Prairie Bomb minus the spiciness. Like a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake liquefied in a glass topped with raw crushed espresso bean. Salud!

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the Prairie folk in a bottle and in a snifter. This taking a risk brew
for me (I'm allergic to peanut butter---makes me break out in hives sometimes---sigh)
pours an oily pitch black with a nice head of brown foam that settles to a thick
ring, thin light pool, and shows some light lacing. Nose of rich peanut butter
and dark cocoa syrup with deep char and roast notes. Not a lot of
dimensions, but the dimensions that it gives are excellent. Flavors
follow the nose with rich nutty peanut butter, medium to heavy char,
dark coffee, and dark cocoa that mix exceptionally well. Very
nice mouth feel; full body, moderately slick, smooth, lightly
warming, and a roasted malt, cocoa, and peanut butter
forward finish,

Excellent brew, wish I could have more, but this 1/4 glass
is enough for me and risking some problems-----
ahhhh---the things I do for BA!

Cheers----and where is the Benadryl?!?!?!

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Heavy amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is huge peanut butter and light dark chocolate.

T - The taste is peanut butter, milk chocolate, coffee and roasted malts.

M - Full body with medium carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel with a soft dry finish.

O - Very solid. The peanut butter is a nice addition to the dark chocolate and coffee. Alcohol is very well hidden.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Rich milk chocolate, peanut butter and coffee in both the aroma and taste. This is thefirst beer I've had which absolutely nails the peanut butter. I've had several before that kind of did it, but this one does it best - and by a considerable margin. Well worth the price tag per bottle (12.99))

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%

12fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a Prairie snifter

This beer pours black and is topped with an inch of deep mocha head that leaves decent lacing.

It has a great peanut butter and chocolate aroma. The coffee almost smells like more of a dark chocolate aroma.

The taste is more chocolate and coffee. The peanut butter comes through in the aftertaste.

Full bodied with a smooth mouthfeel

I compare all coffee and peanut butter beer to the fine examples that Willoughby has set with Nut Smasher and Peanut Cup Coffee Porter. This beer pales in comparison. It is not bad, but as long as I have Willoughby, all others have a steep hill to climb.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Really dark brown color with brown head. Aroma has quite nice peanut notes with chocolate, fudge and some liquor. Taste has intense roasted malts, some umami, quite savory, dense, thick, earthy with a good amount of roasty bitterness lingering on the finish. Full bodied, really smooth on the palate. Quite easy to drink, smooth, roasty and bitter. Aroma leans towards a modern pastry stout but the taste is more classic and straight forward.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark black with lacing. Taste of chocholate and coffee with good sweetness. I've had a lot of Prarie Beers - some are good, some are not. This one is on the good list. Decent balance, not to harsh a stout.

3.79/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours black in color with minimal head that becomes a ring about the glass. Smell is coffee, char, and a bit of peanut butter. Taste is coffee, chocolate, peanut butter, and charred malts. Rich body, finish is bitter coffee. I'm not sold on this, there's a taste that I can't define but doesn't seem to blend in well.

3.67/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm a very big fan of Prairie Artisan - but I've fallen a bit out of love with their more recent non-barrel aged releases. Consider Yourself Hugged was one of the first that failed to wow me.

I'm a big fan of peanut butter in stouts and porters - but coffee and peanut butter somehow just do not work well together. Perhaps it's the char and acidity to the coffee in Consider Yourself - I do like the roasty notes, but the char and acidity tastes terrible with the creamy nuttiness of the peanut butter. I think that unfortunate chemistry results in the unpleasant finish and lingering bad tastes.

It's still a big, sweet beer, and not a bad one - but of the Prairie line-up, it's one of my least favorites. I'd like to see what a barrel would do to this beer, but I can't imagine peanut butter aging well.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle, dating is smudged on the bottle so I can't read it but I'm pretty sure this was a 2018 release. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch tan head that stayed around a little while. There's a small amount of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like peanut butter, coffee, chocolate, and burnt/charred malt. I think the taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also some caramel flavor noticeable too. If there was such a thing as a roasty/coffee Reese's peanut butter cup, that's what this brew would smell and taste like. It's more peanut butter/coffee than chocolate, though. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's slick and smooth with a low/moderate amount of carbonation. I thought this was a good imperial stout, definitely worth picking up! $8.99 a bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a black body with minimal head and lace. The beer has mostly a peanut butter cup and nutty aroma. Fuller-bodied beer that has a basically a dry, bitter cocoa and peanut butter taste. Overall, the beer is more dry than sweet but is still great and easy to drink with well-hidden ABV.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not really a big fan of beers with peanut butter as they are invariably too sweet for my personal taste. This is no exception. I would much prefer a bomb or paradise.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: lots of burned malts, intense coffee, dark roasted peanuts, and Smokey sents. Almost get some spicy peppers as well.

A: dark black with low dark brown head.

F: intense dark roasted coffee, roasted and burnt malts, Smokey peanuts

M: full body with nice carbonation. Leave a slightly astringent and intense bitter aftertaste. Left with coffee and burnt malts

O: while I love most of the stouts from Prairie, this one was a bit disappointing. Burnt flavors from all ingredients and bitter aftertaste. Meh.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Damn freekin’ great beer from a brewery that is on my Bucket List. Some of my most bestus beers are from Prairie. To be honest there are some brews that are just OK. This is not one of them. Black pour, no lacing, covered up alcohol at 11.9% is great. I feel honored to be drinking this right now as I rate this.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into glass. Dating stamp is '19081ED2'.
Black colored body, with a minor sliver of garnet highlight. One finger of creamy light tan head. Each sip leaves behind some irregular patterns of lacing.
Aroma of peanuts, with a background of coffee, chocolate, and smoke.
Taste is dark roasted malts, heavy alcohol, with coffee, chocolate and peanut butter. Includes toffee, caramel, and a little dried dark fruit.
No more than medium mouth feel, but has a creamy texture. Okay carbonation.
This is a bold tasting stout which is not too sweet and not too bitter, but has a swirling dark coffee and smoke taste that mixes well with the chocolate and the peanut butter. Not a peanut butter dominated beer, rather the main flavor is the coffee.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- pours a viscous syrupy black color with a one-finger foamy khaki head that reduces to a ring around the edge

S- bold aroma of roasted peanuts up front, followed by rich earthy espresso, chocolate, toffee & caramel, mocha cream and creamy peanut butter on the back end

T- roasted peanut flavor dominates up front with an authentic peanut flavor, unlike many peanut stouts I've had. Mid-palate gives some earthy espresso notes, along with dark chocolate & mocha, charred malt. The finish gives flavors of peanut butter mixed with espresso and bitter chocolate, more peanut on the linger

M- medium body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly creamy mouthfeel and warming finish

O- best peanut stout I've had to date, the peanut flavor is authentic and holds up to the coffee and base beer, outstanding

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 7/27/2018. Pours pitch black color with a 1 finger dense and rocky tan head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice dense spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, peanut butter, dark roasted coffee, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, fudge, marshmallow, toasted biscuit, and dark bread; with light notes of molasses, licorice, dark fruit, smoke, char, wood, leather, herbal, pepper, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malts, peanut butter coffee, and light fruity yeast/earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, peanut butter, dark roasted coffee, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, fudge, marshmallow, toasted biscuit, and dark bread; with light notes of molasses, licorice, dark fruit, smoke, char, wood, leather, herbal, pepper, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Light herbal, woody, spicy hop; and roast, char, coffee bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, peanut butter, dark roasted coffee, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, fudge, marshmallow, toasted biscuit, dark bread, light molasses/dark fruit, wood, leather, herbal, pepper, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malts, peanut butter coffee, and light fruity yeast/earthy hop flavors; with an awesome roast/hop bitter/sweet balance; and no cloying, acrid, astringent flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering hop/roast bitterness. Light-medium carbonation and fairly full body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/bready, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is great. Minimal warming alcohol for 11.9%. Overall this is an amazing flavored imperial stout! All around incredible complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malts, peanut butter coffee, and light fruity yeast/earthy hop flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to drink with the mildly bitter/drying finish. Amazing balance of rich malts, fruity/nutty coffee, and PB flavors; with solid earthy hops against sweetness. A highly enjoyable offering, and amazing dessert style example. Not overly sweet or bitter either way. Nice amount of PB presence for only being a flavoring for the coffee.

4.04/5  rDev -6.5%

Good beer. I was let down by the amount of peanut butter. Lots of coffee - burnt flavors. Something almost mellow spicy. Maybe it was the coffee powering thru.
Thick and sticky. Hides the alcohol well.
Nice TMI (tuck me in) beer.
Not sure if its worth $7/bottle tho.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Ball 16-oz. mason jar
From: Total Wine in Uptown (Albuquerque), N.M.
Price: $7.99
Purchased: Nov. 3, 2018
Consumed: Nov. 15, 2018
Reviewed as: American Double / Imperial Stout
Misc.: Bottled on July 31, 2018 (I think)

Picked this up on a recent work trip to Albuquerque, N.M. Had a sample of this the week before in Reno, Nev., and gave it a 4.00 in Untappd. First time seeing it in stores and it was only $7.99, which would go down as at least $10.99 in San Diego. Just value shopping. Was labeled as an “Imperial Stout with Peanut Butter Roasted Coffee.”

Poured a pitch black color with one finger of khaki-tan frothy head. Could see bubbles coming up along the sides of the glass. Very bad watery lacing. Very good retention. (Sight - 3.50)

Smelled dark roasted coffee, hazelnut, espresso, toffee, caramel, semi-charwood, ashtray, buttered popcorn and creamy peanut butter late. (Smell - 4.00)

Taste was slightly better than the nose. Got dark roasted coffee, hazelnut, espresso, caramel, toffee, charwood, ashtray, dry roasted peanut butter and burnt butter popcorn. (Taste - 4.00)

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, smooth finish. (Feel - 4.50)

Outstanding beer overall. Would have it again for sure. (Overall - 4.00)

4.02 | 90 | A-

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a black as the darkest night, thick and oily in appearance. Thin dark brown head dissipates steadily leaving nothing but a thin ring of foam along the outside of the beer.

Aroma has notes of acidic coffee, coffee grinds, roasted malts and bakers chocolate. Light notes of vanilla and organic peanut butter peak through.

Taste follows the nose in that it is dominated by coffee. Tastes like it was infused with coffee grinds. Coffee is, as foreshadowed by the nose, on the acidic side. Also noticeable is a strong charred bitterness - not quite sure if thats from the coffee, or if its something else. Moderately sweet throughout. Peanut butter notes peep through, but really take a back seat to the coffee.

Feel is medium bodied, somewhat rough feeling to it. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a coffee stout - the peanut butter is so subtle that it really takes a back seat. I wish it was more balanced or at least featured more of the peanut butter notes. Overall its a solidly above average beer, but not one I'd pick up again.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - Pours black with a finger of creamy tan head that settles to a thin film. Not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma - Coffee in the form of green peppers, roasted malts, vanilla and rich peanut butter.

Taste - Lots of coffee, nice roasted malts with a touch of char, peanut butter and a light smoke.

Feel - Creamy full bodied, soft slick mouthfeel, touch of dryness on the finish.

Overall - Nice peanut butter /coffee stout, flavors are spot on would rather it be a little more peanut butter forward. The alcohol is well hidden overall an easy drinking well done stout.

Consider Yourself Hugged from Prairie Artisan Ales