Prairie Standard | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie StandardPrairie Standard

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Prairie Standard is our everyday beer. Its a light, crisp saison with a hoppy finish. This beer is dry hopped 1lb per bbl with Motueka hops. A lovely New Zealand hop with a spicy lime like flavor and aroma.

Added by StaveHooks on 12-20-2012

Reviews: 208 | Ratings: 1,283
2.85/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Pours a cloudy (not turbid) straw color. The head is two fingers high and white in shade. Man, the head looks rough, plus the retention is poor. Tiny specks of lacing stick to the glass.

I definitely pick up much of the promised lime on the aroma, along with touches of grassiness (hey, Motueka is an offshoot of Saaz...) There does seem to be a rustic, spicy character to this, which endlessly pleases me at first whiff - but it's far from a perfect one. I get some coriander, and it verges close to deviled ham territory at times. Also, it seems a touch too sweet malt-wise. Ultimately an up-and-down nose, but I'm pleased with more of the aspects than I am displeased.

A big hit of lime-esque hops open it up, ultimately my favorite part of the flavor profile. The spice character on the second half seems weird to me - it seems oddly heavy on the sesame seed and coriander. Maybe there's some rosemary, too? I'm really intrigued by the spiciness, but nothing here seems to balance very well. Add in the simplistic nature, and I'm left let down by this one.

It feels oddly thick, lumpy, and sweet; only relatively so for a smaller saison. Still, I'm not sure I agree with most others here saying how crisp and light it is. To me, it isn't, as it leaves behind a sweet residue on the palate that hampers its drinkability some. While carbonation is vibrant, it fails to scrub off the residual sugars. This would be a good feel for a standard wheat ale - I find it very lacking for a saison.

Prairie can do better than this, even for a "standard" offering. It drinks more like a nicely hoppy, slightly spicy witbier than a proper saison. I'm left to ponder if I've been spoiled by brett-laden saisons (like some of Prairie's, for instance), but I can think of a few standard (THERE IT IS AGAIN) saisons I'd take over this. I likely won't return to this one.

2.85/5: Standard, eh? You can say that again!

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

"A hoppy farmhouse ale. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with thoughtful label art and unbranded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight as part of a six pack at a local beer store in SoCal, and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. 5.2% ABV confirmed. Distributed by the Shelton Bastards.

Served cold, straight from me freezer. Side-poured with stnadard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. No creaminess or frothiness at all. Lacing is pathetic. Not great for a farmhouse ale. Retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a semitransparent translucent pale lemon yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Not looking great for the style. No overt flaws are obvious, but it's far from unique or special.

Sm: Floral hops. Lemongrass. Lime. Salt. Maybe some white pepper? Crackery malts. Clean pale and pilsner malts. Clean barley. Light doughy yeast character is detectable. No alcohol. Way off the mark for the style. Redolent of "cheap Spanish lager meets a saison." The lime really steers it wrong. An aroma of mild strength.

T: Grainy with a heavy emphasis on crackery malts. Clean pilsner malts, some biscuit malt. Floral hop character. A hint of biscuity yeast. Lime. Lemongrass. Salt. Straw. Middling floral hops. White pepper. A bit bready. Green apple and appleskin. A misguided flavour profile overall. Balance is okay. Complexity and subtlety are wanting; they're key in this style, so that's a huge problem. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I don't know that I can honestly say that I like it. Flavour intensity is above average - even a bit scorching - for the style. Flavour duration is also above average. Depth of flavour is low; with the exception of its spiciness, it's rather shallow.

Crackery malts are absolutely dominant here; maybe even overbearing. Shockingly, some alcohol does come through in spite of the low ABV.

Mf: Lightly coarse; lightly dry. Soft. Generally good presence on the palate, but it doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Overcarbonated. Too thick. Too full-bodied for the lack of depth of flavour. Not crisp.

Dr: This is a swing and a miss from Prairie Artisan Ales. Not sure what they're going for, but it's a cracker malt bomb, not a balanced farmhouse ale. I wouldn't get this again, though I'll have no trouble killing the remaining 5 bottles. I wish I didn't buy a 6er, but it's drinkable enough. Their worst beer so far. Wouldn't recommend to friends. I'm confused about its current high ratings; am I missing something? The lime really destroys it.

C

The pour from the 12 oz. bottle is a clearer yellow than I expected; perhaps it is me, but I associate farmhouse with turbid, clouded, & murky. Smells like pine, yeast, slightly dank pine. Modest.

Hoppy Farmhouse is suffering from hefe envy. A pec of bananas here, along with plenty of wheat, grainy, touch of citrus & lemon.

I have nothing else to say. Straight bland, straight mediocre. Nothing to see here.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a thin white head that drops quickly with mild lacing. Color is very cloudy yellow-orange (looks like a shandy)

Aroma: hops are dominate with brett yeast and bread.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy, with a wet finish.

Flavor: fruity and spicy with a bit of honey sweetness along with citrusy hops.

Overall: ok, but the strong hop presence here does not seem to fit the style guidelines.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer looks great, smells great, has all of the characteristics of a winner, but left me wanting on the taste. The beer pours a murky, golden color with a thick head. It has a very earthy (but good) smell to it. It is a very drinkable beer if you enjoy the taste. For me, I am glad to say that I have tried it, but probably wont be buying this again anytime soon.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Hazy, light yellow beer with a three finger high, white head

Nose: Citrus, yeast, lime, grapefruit, pineapple and grassy hops.
Taste: Grapefruit, grass, lime, citrus and hops.
Body: Medium body. Light sour. Medium carbonation. Medium bitterness.
Nice saison. Ok but not any better than the Belgian and French originals and in Sweden it has a to high price.

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy yellow with a puffy white retaining head.

Pepper, hops and yeast.

Very light and nice, the hops are unfamiliar but subdued and right for the style. Has a tea like character and not much in the way of bite or burn. Could use a punch-up but still a nice, easy citrus character. Not really spicy.

Staining, not crisp.

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sort of confused by the reviews of this one - beguiled by Prairie perhaps; regardless, it's a decent representation of this style, but it fell short in virtually every category for me...very faint citrus/lemon, and farmhouse flavors, but overall I just get malt and an almost lager taste.

3.33/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Prairie Standard a couple weeks ago for $2.58 at The Lager Mill. This is is my first time trying a beer from Prairie and I thought I would start off with their beer they call Standard, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label is great, I like the idea behind it and it's very eye catching. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of a yellow color when held to the light with half a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with a unique an weird grainy aroma being the first to show up and it's a little cereal like and it's followed by the fink which is a little on the lighter side and it imparts some wet straw and slightly horse blanket like aromas. It just has a unique aroma that I don't normally get from this style and there's just a little bit of hops showing up at the end. This beer has a decent aroma, it's not bad, but it's not good, it's just weird.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some stone fruits being the first to show up and they are a little on the lighter side while being followed by that same cereal and grainy aspect that's a little weird and it's followed by a funky aspect which is a little weird and it imparts the same aspects that it did the aroma. Up next comes a funky floral and mead like flavor which is out of place and it doesnt really give me that brett punch that I'm looking for. On the finish there's a little bit of bitterness with some more funky cereal flavors coming through in the aftertaste. This is a decent tasting beer, it's not bad, but it sure is unique.

M- Smooth, very crisp, a little pricly, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was pretty close to being average for the style, but it sure was unique, I can't say I've gotten that flavor combination is any other beers, but I didn't find it to be pleasing. This beer didn't have good drinkability, the taste just didn't bring me back for more, so one would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel is was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the clashing flavors, they just didn't flow together. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think I might turn it down. All in all I just wasn't a big fan of this beer, I thought it was going to be pretty good for how much I've heard it talked about it, but that just not how it turned out. It didn't make for the best first impression for this brewery and it's right around average for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one just isn't for me.

3.34/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale yellowish in the small nonic with plenty of white foam. Faint lemony taste with some scratchy bitterness. Faint aroma is pleasant with the fruity hint. Sparkly and a little sharp. Light yeasty flavor with the drying sensation. To me this tastes more like a Single, maybe crossed with an anemic American Pale ale. Quite bitter in the aftertaste when there is nothing left of the malt.

The flavor grows after some sipping and the Belgian yeast leaves its mark on your tongue, but it also gets more harsh. This would be a good one for Trader Joe's to put in cans. It's hardly worth the price they're asking. Bought at Bottleworks in San Diego.

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Eh, am I missing something here? Tastes like perfume and flowers. I get dough and bread on the backend and an earthiness as well. I assume this isn't how it normally is. Or at least, I hope not.

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light golden color with a white head. Earthy farmhouse aroma with some grain and spicy yeast. A touch of lemongrass.

The taste is earthy and slightly spicy with lemon and floral notes. Fairly bitter. Dry, spicy, earthy, muted funk. Abrasive even with the herbal bite.

Highly carbonated, spritsy brew. Overall it's decent but not crazy good standard saison. I'd drink it again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from bottle into teku. Pours hazy and pale yellow in color with minimal bubbly head and minimal lacing. Aroma is mostly saison yeast with a citrusy lemon-lime overtone. Mouth feel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Palate is lemon, lime, and peppercorn…sour throughout and finishes dry. A nice saison…easy drinker.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Clear straw color with white head. Aroma has sweet yeast esters and some fresh lemony note. Taste is yeasty, slightly astringent and mineral. Aftertaste is dry and dusty. Body is on the light side with medium carbonation. Not bad but it's somehow too simple for my taste.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Prairie Teku, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like bready malt, peppery spice, citrus, melon and a bit of earthy floralness. It tastes like melon, bananas, bready/grainy malt, honey, peppery spice and some white grape/wine. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. I think this is an OK brew overall and I won't have any problems finishing the 4-pack, but it's not one of the better Prairie ales I've tried. The longer I drank this, the less I liked it. Still, it's worth picking up if you've never had it before.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Prairie Standard has a medium, off-white head, a cloudy, yellow-gold appearance, with tight bubble streams. The beer becomes sort of white-yellow, once the bottom sediment is swished and poured in. Lacing is fairly substantial. The aroma is on the low-profile side, but the drinker can detect subtle horse blanket, lemon pith, white bread, and coriander. Taste is the same- low profile, but the same elements of the aroma are noticeable. A little white pepper and mild hop aroma show up, too. Mouthfeel is high medium, Prairie Standard finishes on the dry side of the equation.

RJT

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

I found a bottle in a local liquor store a week or two after visiting Tulsa where I noticed Prairie beers available on tap. It has a bit of hop, but the overall taste leans toward Belgian-style yeast.

3.54/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale straw with over a finger of white head. The nose is yeasty and slightly soapy. The flavor has the classic peppery essence but the promised hoppiness is fairly muted.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at McNellie's Public House in Tulsa, OK in a standard tumbler.

Slightly hazy, straw golden color. Moderate carbonation for a saison style.
Aroma is slightly bready, vague, but more pilsner than saison.
Clean, refreshing, high apparent bitterness. Like an Pilsner/Saison/American Pale Ale in one. The hops assert themselves enough to be the dominant component and linger in the finish, but not overbalance the biscuity malt or spice of the yeast . Highly sessionable.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recently picked up on a trip south.

A - straw colored, tight bubbles, nice thick pillowly and white head and settles to a nice lacing

S - grassy hops, a little honey, freshly cracked pepper

T - similar to the noise though the grassy hops turned almost lime-like which was a bit unusual and also a little spice to hop, lightly toasted sweetness, a little apple, a little bit of funk, little bit of rosewater

M - nice carbonation, little bubbles, easy to drink

O - good saison with the unique and subtle flavor of lime and cracked pepper

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a shaker pint at Public at the Brickyard. Not hoppy in my opinion. Disappointing beer from a brewery I have come to like very much. 3.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a two- finger white head that dissipates quickly but retains a thin film. 3.75
S - A hoppy funk, little to no spice. 3.25
T - Some funk combined with a citrusy orange edge. 3.75
MF - Medium light with a dry finish. 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Bottle threatened to gush when I popped the cap. A screw cap. Wasn't expecting that. Beer itself is a darker shade of yellow. Fairly cloudy. Forms a very large, very bubbly head. Thankfully there is little retention and the head fades to just a faint surface coating rather quickly. No lacing.

S: Aroma is crisp and interesting. More complex and earthy than a standard Saison. Starts off sort of dirty with a faint earthiness. There are some grassy hops and a touch of lime zest in the mix. Even a little spiciness.

T: Taste is good. Lightly crisp. Unripe apples. A touch of earth. And again, there is a bit of lemon-lime floating around with everything. Grassy hops and some pepper. Finish is citrus.

M: Body is on the lighter side of things while carbonation is on the heavier. Mild bitterness, though there is a moderate drying astringency on the finish.

O: While this is certainly not the best example of the style I've ever encountered, I do believe it is meant to be the flagship beer and I feel it is a very nice take on the Saison.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of pale malt, hops, yeast, slight earthy malt, slight wheat, and some herbal aromas. Fits the style of a Saison / Farmhouse Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong pale malt, hops, yeast, slight earthy malt, slight wheat, and a hint of herbal notes. Overall, decent appearance, but both aroma and body are too dominated by earthy malt for my taste.

3.65/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a goblet from a bottle dated 182-15. Pours a pale straw color with lots of head and residual lacing. Smells like a farmhouse but a little sweet. Probably past its prime but still good.

3.65/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours a pale straw colour, steady haze. Head is white, scraggly, settles to a finger of head with no real lacing. Interesting, not overly so though.

Smells mildly Bretty and funky. Green apple, notes of citrus zest with some barnyard and a funny grain-malt note, almost popcorny. Quite pleasant.

Taste is mildly tart. Quite dry, somewhat wheaty, with just a very soft pull from a mild barnyard note that really dries it up without adding much character. Slight fruity notes, somewhat cereal-y, ultimately refreshing but not too interesting.

Quite full; almost unsettlingly so. Bitty, slightly dry. A bit odd.

Dry, refreshing, Champagne-esque beer. Very sessionable, but also because it's at times a bit tame and mild compared to what it feels like it could be.

Prairie Standard from Prairie Artisan Ales