Prairie Standard | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Prairie Standard is our everyday beer. Its a light, crisp saison with a hoppy finish. This beer is dry hopped 1lb per bbl with Motueka hops. A lovely New Zealand hop with a spicy lime like flavor and aroma.

Added by StaveHooks on 12-20-2012

Ratings: 1,384 |  Reviews: 240
1.6/5  rDev -60%

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

I liked it, but very watered down for my taste

2.85/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Pours a cloudy (not turbid) straw color. The head is two fingers high and white in shade. Man, the head looks rough, plus the retention is poor. Tiny specks of lacing stick to the glass.

I definitely pick up much of the promised lime on the aroma, along with touches of grassiness (hey, Motueka is an offshoot of Saaz...) There does seem to be a rustic, spicy character to this, which endlessly pleases me at first whiff - but it's far from a perfect one. I get some coriander, and it verges close to deviled ham territory at times. Also, it seems a touch too sweet malt-wise. Ultimately an up-and-down nose, but I'm pleased with more of the aspects than I am displeased.

A big hit of lime-esque hops open it up, ultimately my favorite part of the flavor profile. The spice character on the second half seems weird to me - it seems oddly heavy on the sesame seed and coriander. Maybe there's some rosemary, too? I'm really intrigued by the spiciness, but nothing here seems to balance very well. Add in the simplistic nature, and I'm left let down by this one.

It feels oddly thick, lumpy, and sweet; only relatively so for a smaller saison. Still, I'm not sure I agree with most others here saying how crisp and light it is. To me, it isn't, as it leaves behind a sweet residue on the palate that hampers its drinkability some. While carbonation is vibrant, it fails to scrub off the residual sugars. This would be a good feel for a standard wheat ale - I find it very lacking for a saison.

Prairie can do better than this, even for a "standard" offering. It drinks more like a nicely hoppy, slightly spicy witbier than a proper saison. I'm left to ponder if I've been spoiled by brett-laden saisons (like some of Prairie's, for instance), but I can think of a few standard (THERE IT IS AGAIN) saisons I'd take over this. I likely won't return to this one.

2.85/5: Standard, eh? You can say that again!

2.9/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.91/5  rDev -27.3%

Very "Standard". Also very enjoyable and refreshing. Has some what of a sour tastes, but finishes smoothly. Great spring time beer.

2.92/5  rDev -27%

....or we could say...average average average

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

"A hoppy farmhouse ale. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with thoughtful label art and unbranded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight as part of a six pack at a local beer store in SoCal, and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. 5.2% ABV confirmed. Distributed by the Shelton Bastards.

Served cold, straight from me freezer. Side-poured with stnadard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. No creaminess or frothiness at all. Lacing is pathetic. Not great for a farmhouse ale. Retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a semitransparent translucent pale lemon yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Not looking great for the style. No overt flaws are obvious, but it's far from unique or special.

Sm: Floral hops. Lemongrass. Lime. Salt. Maybe some white pepper? Crackery malts. Clean pale and pilsner malts. Clean barley. Light doughy yeast character is detectable. No alcohol. Way off the mark for the style. Redolent of "cheap Spanish lager meets a saison." The lime really steers it wrong. An aroma of mild strength.

T: Grainy with a heavy emphasis on crackery malts. Clean pilsner malts, some biscuit malt. Floral hop character. A hint of biscuity yeast. Lime. Lemongrass. Salt. Straw. Middling floral hops. White pepper. A bit bready. Green apple and appleskin. A misguided flavour profile overall. Balance is okay. Complexity and subtlety are wanting; they're key in this style, so that's a huge problem. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I don't know that I can honestly say that I like it. Flavour intensity is above average - even a bit scorching - for the style. Flavour duration is also above average. Depth of flavour is low; with the exception of its spiciness, it's rather shallow.

Crackery malts are absolutely dominant here; maybe even overbearing. Shockingly, some alcohol does come through in spite of the low ABV.

Mf: Lightly coarse; lightly dry. Soft. Generally good presence on the palate, but it doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Overcarbonated. Too thick. Too full-bodied for the lack of depth of flavour. Not crisp.

Dr: This is a swing and a miss from Prairie Artisan Ales. Not sure what they're going for, but it's a cracker malt bomb, not a balanced farmhouse ale. I wouldn't get this again, though I'll have no trouble killing the remaining 5 bottles. I wish I didn't buy a 6er, but it's drinkable enough. Their worst beer so far. Wouldn't recommend to friends. I'm confused about its current high ratings; am I missing something? The lime really destroys it.

C

Weird style of beer but I'm trying to come around to them lol..

Its straw colored ,unfiltered hazy look with 1 finger white head..

Very funky ,kinda smells like wet hay with a hint of hops ..

Taste is pretty much like the smell..

It is what it is, probably decent for the style but not my thing..

The pour from the 12 oz. bottle is a clearer yellow than I expected; perhaps it is me, but I associate farmhouse with turbid, clouded, & murky. Smells like pine, yeast, slightly dank pine. Modest.

Hoppy Farmhouse is suffering from hefe envy. A pec of bananas here, along with plenty of wheat, grainy, touch of citrus & lemon.

I have nothing else to say. Straight bland, straight mediocre. Nothing to see here.

Prairie Standard from Prairie Artisan Ales