Prairie Funky Galaxy | Prairie Artisan Ales

Added by bump8628 on 03-19-2013

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

1 pint 9.4 Fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Now I haven't had a lot of saisons, but I've had my share. This is on the second one that is dark in color. It is pretty much as dark as a stout. I see some amber highlights, but no light is getting through the main part of the glass. I timid pour still yielded me about two thirds of a glass of tan head.

S - I definitely get some funk. It is counterintuitive, but being dark in body, it still has some lemon smell. I also get some floral hops, and it might be my imagination, but I smell a little roasted malt.

T - It starts out having a great saison taste. I get some lemon and dank basement. Then I get the tiniest amount of roasted malt. Then the finish has more bitterness than I have previously experienced with a saison. I am not sure I like that.

M - I has a champagne-like feel. It is very effervescent with a thin to moderate feel.

O - It started out great, but it has a lingering bitterness. To me, that kind of detracts from the experience. I love my hoppy beers but not my saisons. It is interesting. I am intrigued and want to try more from Prairie.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a hoppy guy - in fact I thought this was going to be just a regular black ale, but I was pleasantly surprised. It poured with a lot of head and effervesced a scent that reminded me of the days walking through Portland where Bridgeport is brewing up their hops and the whole block smelled like heaven. Great taste, really wakes up your mouth, a little thick on the end.

Probably the best thing ever to come out of Oklahoma.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice to see another craft brewery coming out of Oklahoma. Starting things off with Funky Galaxy from Prairie Artisan Ales. Funky Galaxy is a black saison hopped heavily with galaxy hops. Poured into a Belgian glass. Funky Galaxy pours an inky dark brown. Things are topped off by a healthy 3 fingers of khaki head. Head settles to a ring, leaving some lace in its wake.

The aroma packs punch of complexities. Slightly overripe fruit notes hit first. Tropical fruit stands strong. Mangoes, oranges, and more citrus stand out. Some resiny pine hits beneath the fruit. A mild brett funkiness present as well. Bubblegum and spice also pops. Charred dark malt notes round out the aroma.

Taste follows the nose nicely. Funky Galaxy is a very hop forward saison. More ripe fruit hits the palate. Dry mangoes, and grapefruits hit first. Some orange melds with the grapefruit. Light pine notes round out the hops. Some mild bretty barnyard funk pops underneath the the fruit. Yeasty bubblegum notes melds with an appropriate saison pepperiness. Some dark malt and char flow beneath the hops and yeast. The finish is dry with lingering herbal hop notes.

Funky Galaxy is light bodied with an effervescent carbonation.

Always glad to see a new brewery. Prairie seems to understand how to brew farmhouse ales. Funky Galaxy hits all the right notes for a saison. The galaxy hops add a wonderful complexity of tropical and citrus fruit. The alcohol is kept well in check, only showing towards the end as things warm up. All in all this a nice brew.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

A prominent, loud pop upon removing the cork. Not a gusher.

Dark brown throughout with some visible sediment. The color is bordering on black. Plenty of visible carbonation. Quickly forming, tightly-bubbled head. Somewhat persistent.

Not a particularly expressive aroma, but what's here is nice and appropriate given the style. Earth, some char, dark malts, and a hint of a black licorice character combine nicely. More and more of a straw-like and earthy funk emerge as the beer warms.

The flavor follow a similar journey as the aroma, as more and more of the earth/dry, wet hay/funk flavors comes out as the beer warms. Against that is an interesting combination of black, toasted malts, cereal, a touch of char, and some licorice. Very drinkable.

Medium to near full in body for the style. High carbonation.

Tasty, though nothing unexpected or particularly interesting about it. A tasty black saison though, without a doubt.

Prairie Funky Galaxy from Prairie Artisan Ales