Love Belgian Beer?

Added by bump8628 on 03-19-2013

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 495
4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was excited to try this beer. It sounded unique, and it's brewed in the state I live. Plus, not that it makes much difference, the label's pretty cool!

Pours an opaque brown. It sort of looks like coffee with a splash of milk added; certainly a unique look. Decent head, light tan in color.

The smell is great! Fresh citrusy hops, accompanied by that signature funk present in farmhouse ales. I seriously can't keep my nose out of the glass! There's a little dark fruit (think figs and such), cocoa, and some cardamon spice.

That first sip: Wow, a lot going on in there! Piney hops, and twangy ripe fruit are the two tastes most noticeable. There's also grapefruit, chocolate, roasted grain, dates, clove, a little coffee. There's quite a bit, and I love it when a beer can offer this many varied tastes.

It sits fairly heavy on your tongue, not quite the thickness of milk, but not too far from it. Has a medium length finish, but ends fairly dry.

This is really a great beer, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it in the future. I'm surprised and glad for the caliber of some of Oklahoma's more recent beers, and I can't wait to see more follow.

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep, thick wooden dark brown, large coffee colored head.

Smells very tart, dusting of cocoa, dark citrus, some other vinous fruit...lots going on, very complex, smells great.

Starts with a lightly tart wine character, decent amount of bitter citrus too, fades into milk chocolate and sweet grape, pretty dry and spicy. Again, very complex, very good.

Good thick mouthfeel, creamy and well carbonated.

Great beer! Very complex. I'd swear this was aged in wine barrels.

8.6/10

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Talk about ramping it up. This crew isn't fucking playing around with the releases.

After I get past that pesky cork cage I get a welcomed sight of dense tan head that sits quietly atop a murky, dark brown brew.

Floral hops are the first aroma noticed. They are followed by a wet straw mustiness, some plum and grapes, a bit of spent grain, and some damp earthiness. Interesting, unique and bold come to mind.

Flow the dark and soured fruitiness my friends. This one is spot on. Some grain, grape juice, and a nice bitter finish leave me reaching quickly for another swig.

Perfectly dry and light to medium in body, the sucker goes down fairly smooth with a slight alcohol edge to it.

I realize how easy it is to overrate local brews and get caught up in hype. I'm also not prone to jump on bandwagons, so I've held out my final verdict on the Prairie Ales, but this one has completely won me over. A unique take on a beloved style done with apparent tremendous care to detail.

Prost!

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Black with a creamy beige head that drops some patchy lace. The nose is a huge hit of perfumey flower pollen. The big floral notes continue on the palate but there's more going on - burnt toast, herbal bitterness, black pepper, pine, and a vein of funkiness like dirty leather. Once again Prairie nails the crisp dryness requisite for farmhouse style beers. A lot going on here, really complex. It's pretty hop-driven by the unique Galaxy hops but subtleties keep popping out as I make my way through the bottle. Another well-executed and interesting beer from PAA.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last