Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Prairie Gold is a dry, highly effervescent saison fermented with a mix of ale yeast, wine yeast, lactobacillus and 2 strains of brettanomyces. This beer highlights the various yeasts and bacteria used to make it. Lemon, pear, white wine grapes, and a touch of funk dominate the flavor and aroma in this champagne like beer.

Added by AlexFields on 03-22-2013

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I bought a few of these at the store yesterday and it was great. However, I have to issue a warning. It is a bit foamy and if you bump it around you may have a gusher on your hands. Last evening I opened one it went all over the floor, the counter, and on my pants, and I lost half the beer.

(L) The color is hazy golden with a significant white head.

(A) It has a nice lemony aroma.

(T) The taste is lemon, yeast, its grassy, and has a lot of dankness. Extremely good.

(F) Medium body and easy drinking.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

So, I'm a little upset. I had stored in my fridge to chill for the past four days and today I eagerly opened the bottle and have it explode all over my counter, floor and sink. Eventually, I had half a bottle to pour and here it goes...

I am truly saddened that this beer ended up all over my kitchen instead of my belly. It is a really good "saison"that I would hardly classify as a wild american or sour ale. it is Belgian like with funky hit of brett like sour on the front. Really easy and really clean, crisp finish. Pour is transparent gold, thin head that dissipates soon.

I look forward to trying more Prairie beers in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12/27...pours thick solid looking pale yellow with fizzy fast white foam. Sharp lemon citrus nose. Taste is a mild sour - citrus sour balanced by a malty ale. Chewy. Sour is present but doesn't dominate. Well balanced flavors/.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy straw yellow after gushing out of the bottle into the glass. Bottle dated 13515. After losing 1/4-1/3 of the bottle.. aroma of hay, funk, white wine/grapes, lemon and slight wheat/malt. Flavor follows the aroma with subtle lemon tartness, more wheat, white grape, slight pear, slight apple juice sweetness and a rustic grainy thing going on. The feel is light with obvious HIGH carbonation. I brew sour beers, so I understand that sometimes things happen, so I am not going to beat them up too bad on the rating. Overall, the true "Champagne" of beers. Very good, but not outstanding.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Delicious, but it exploded upon opening and half of the bottle was lost.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev 0%

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: I was lucky as my bottle was only a modest spumer so I didn't lose any beer; the liquid pours out a cloudy golden color and started out at an inch but descended to a film; spotty and streaky lacing

Smell: Lemon funk; grainy, spicy and green grape aromatics; strong barnyard tones

Taste: The barnyard is overwhelming, right up front, with lemon funk, acidic white wine grape, pepper and yeast spices building; quite lactic, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body, moderate carbonation and a considerable pucker factor

Overall: This beer just doesn't coalesce for me; a lot going on in a variety of different directions; not very drinkable

3.94/5  rDev -3%

L: Pours a beatiful pale honey, cloudy, little head, no lacing

S: Funky, too funky for me, lemony, pinesol

T: Dried grass, lemons, peppery, coriander?, tart, bubbly, quite dry

F: Body is medium, finishes quite smooth, tastes lingers

O: An above average wild ale

Prairie Gold from Prairie Artisan Ales