Prairie Pirate Noir | Prairie Artisan Ales

prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial Stout aged in Jamaican Rum Barrels

Added by russpowell on 05-10-2013

This beer pours a dark black with a smallish head. The aroma is utterly amazing - brown sugar, molasses, dark rum, grass, chocolate, brownies, white chocolate, raisin, and a dusty bitter depth. The flavor is rich with molasses and brown sugar, chocolate, raisins, figs, dates, dark rum, vanilla, rye bread, and walnuts.The mouthfeel is very rich, with low carbonation and a fair amount of heat. Overall this a a near perfect beer for me - such depth and richness, but never overbearing - exactly what I want from a BA stout.

Awesome beer. Don't drive!

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

Amazing!!

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

The first word that popped into my mind when I sipped this was "WOW"! This is one of the best beers I have ever had, by far! This beer goes down so smooth, the taste is like spiked liquid chocolate in my mouth. The smell at first had me wondering, but after a few minutes it was heavenly. This is definitely in my top two beers!

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

The darkest of brown with a smallish tan head. The aroma is a heavenly mixture of vanilla, rum, toffee and a touch of coconut. There is more there but I get lost in the moment, I must taste it. Wow is the emotion that I feel as it hits my tongue. Chocolate joins the flavors that I inhaled. Oh my, creamy smooth. I want more, but wait, I need to slow myself. This is twelve percent. Overall a near perfect beer. I only wish I could find more.

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.86/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily the best rum barrel stout I have had, though, to be fair, I have yet to try Pirate Bomb. There is an impressive amount of the barrel in the beer.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

07/2015 bottling date served at cellar temps in a snifter glass

Appearance: motor oil thick with a faint tan head that sank to nothing (thanks 12% ABV). Dark, dark, dark brown color. Almost black. Oily top.

Nose: booze bomb, nutty, hazelnuts, raisins, figs, prunes, hot and spicy alcohol, oaky, vanilla, toasted coconut, caramel, burnt sugar, brown sugar

Taste: well hello rum! Boozy, thick and rich, chewy mouthfeel, follows the nose to the fullest extent. Nutty, alcohol sweetness for days, lighter dark chocolate, dark fruits, spicy notes from wither the run or something in the barrel but it could be whatever hops were used to balance that intense malt profile. This is one hell of an Oatmeal Stout.

Overall: WOW! This is everything I was hoping it would be and then some. I wasn't sure how the spicy Jamaican rum would play with a traditional oatmeal stout but the match is perfection in a glass. That booze could be toned down a bit and that would prop up the score. I have another bottle that I'll try next year some time and see whats changed. Great job Prairie AA!

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle, it has a inch thick had of a darker beige and a black body. Smell of rum, molasses, vanilla, some alcohol, roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel. Taste is rum, chocolate, oak, coconut, vanilla, some subtle earth notes, caramel, slight alcohol (nice burn), and a slight nutty flavor. Tastes somewhat like a rum ball and a macaroon. A heavy thick and yet not syrupy mouth feel and body, massively creamy. One of the best stouts in mouth feel and flavor I'd had, just fantastic, and I prefer this over the Bomb! any day. *May be impartial because rum balls are one of my favorite desserts, but a definite must try.

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Prairie Pirate Noir from Prairie Artisan Ales