Bomb!

May 29, 2013
SCORE
World-Class
Bomb!Bomb!
Notes: Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

5 by birdsellam from Indiana on Tuesday at 04:04 AM

4.47 by joran from Kansas on Saturday at 10:23 PM

4.73 by not2quick from Missouri on Jan 18, 2022

4.49 by Bbock13 from North Carolina on Jan 09, 2022

4.17 by Agriverbear from Texas on Dec 31, 2021

4.48 by DBosco from Massachusetts on Dec 24, 2021
3.91/5  rDev -12.9%
by mnredsoxfan69 from Minnesota

12 ounce can poured into a 16 ounce glass.

A: Pours an opaque dark brown with a 1 finger medium brown, slightly rocky head. Moderate lacing on the glass upon consuming.

S: Roast barley aroma with overtones of coffee and cocoa.

T: Follows smell with slight added heat from chillies.

F: Viscous, pours smooth over the tongue with a velvety thickness. No burn from the alcohol.

O: A very worthwhile imperial stout, not horrendously expensive. Prairie Artisan knows what they are doing. I'd buy it again.

Dec 18, 2021
4.39/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
by Noncorporeal from Mississippi

A little sweeter than i hoped for.
Silky mouthfeel
Light ester
As you sip coffee, choclate hits mildly then vanilla and mild spice.
Very nice balance of flavors.

Nov 28, 2021

4.03 by Bogdawg from Massachusetts on Nov 28, 2021

4.04 by Tcsox from Massachusetts on Nov 28, 2021
by Thrash_Metal_Maniac_

Wow, what do I say about "Bomb!"? I'm somewhat of an amateur, all I could focus on for this one was the overwhelming spiciness. Beyond that, I definitely taste the coffee and chocolate as the primary flavors. This flavor was very complex, which is why I gave it a 5. I strongly enjoy beers that are "different," and this is nothing like I have ever tasted. Extremely interesting beer, this is about my 6th of the night, and at 13% ABV for this one, I'm pretty gone by now. If you enjoy "different" or "unique" beers this is for you.

Nov 21, 2021

4.5 by arc3636 from Kansas on Nov 19, 2021

3.71 by Resistance88 from California on Nov 16, 2021

4.71 by Meddwol from Michigan on Nov 13, 2021

4.66 by Gukkor from Texas on Oct 25, 2021
4.29/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by JayQue from Virginia

Really good stout!!!! I bought a 12 oz. bottle at Half Time Distributors in Poughkeepsie NY, mainly because I am collecting bottle caps from all 50 states and Oklahoma was a real "find". I had no idea how really good this beer would be. Pours a totally dense black color with no light coming through. Surprising medium size dark tan/brown head with, what I would consider, a very long lasting head for a 13% abv beer. Aroma and taste have it all for a stout. Rich malty presence, strong coffee and chocolate presence, a little vanilla (good for me since I don't like prominent vanilla in my stouts and porters). I may have picked up some mild chili peppers in the first taste, but not after that. Mouthfeel is rich and fairly smooth, but with a little alcohol "bite" as befits the high octane. An excellent stout, I would gladly drink this one again as long as I was not expected to function 100% afterwards!!

Oct 20, 2021

4.42 by TXRobbo from Texas on Oct 17, 2021

4.25 by smb71481 from Vermont on Oct 04, 2021

4.44 by LunchMoney from Minnesota on Sep 15, 2021

4.24 by Jcoleman4 from Ohio on Sep 14, 2021

4.25 by rstump24 from Ohio on Aug 24, 2021
by JohnMag

Just a perfect Stout. Amazing.

Aug 22, 2021

3.81 by HarlotBronte from District of Columbia on Aug 10, 2021
4.37/5  rDev -2.7%
by barnzy78 from Illinois

12oz bottle
date stamp says 02.04.2021 but I can’t tell if it’s a bottled on date or a best by date
knocking one off the top 250 list - I’m surprised at how many times I’ve passed on this one
12% ABV
L: jet black body, very thin brown head disappears quickly
S: coffee, cocoa, vanilla, roast, molasses
T: rich, sweet, spicy, complex: dark baker’s chocolate, roasted barley, coffee, cacao, molasses, vanilla, caramel, toffee, chili pepper, earthy hops
F: full body but could be fuller, boozy and a rich sipper, dark chocolate and chili pepper heat lingers
O: flavors and depth of complexity carry this one - it’s very good

Jul 25, 2021
4.61/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5
by BucBasil from Rwanda

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a pure black color with a creamy dark brown head of one finger after a hard pour.

Smell is creamy with chocolate and mocha and vanilla. Not really toasty which is what I would have expected from this, but really like a candy bar. But this is not just a sugar bomb, it seems pleasantly sweet smelling, not cloyingly so. Not much in the way of pepper aroma.

Chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream, slight coffee way in the back. Mocha throughout. Spicy note comes in at the very end, almost in the throat, as a slight sting after swallowing. Balanced. Not super complex, but what it does it does super well.

Incredibly smooth. A real dessert beer for sure, but not sugary. It's like a quality fudge. I had high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint.

Jul 18, 2021

3.75 by BeerDreadz from Florida on Jul 10, 2021
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5
by blazerkor from Nevada

I can smell the cocoa and coffee but besides that I'm just getting sweet malts.

I get a lot of chocolate flavors with an added coffee decadence.

It has a medium mouthfeel with just a little carbonation for something akin to velvet. It has a bitter finish that lasts a long time.

While I'm not getting the complexities promised of vanilla and chilis this is so so delicious. It's so well balanced and I barely pick up the 12 abv. I give it a 5.8 out of 6. BOOM!

Jul 01, 2021

3.5 by Rkitchen from Michigan on Jun 19, 2021
4.22/5  rDev -6%
by bindtortureill

Bought on a recommendation at Blackbeard's Crafts on Sawtelle, this one surprised me. Everything in it is subservient to the cacao-- the vanilla stands in for sugar, the coffee offers bitterness where the malty stout would itself refuse to. It does really remind you of a milkshake, but not quite because of any desserty cloying sweetness. It's the viscosity, the half-and-half mouthfeel that delivers the vanilla and cacao while somehow sneaking in a full 12 or 13 percent ABV when you can barely even register the burn. Mine poured into a snifter with no head and barely even the sound of fizziness, and on the nose it's pure dessert-- chocolate milk or devil's food cake. I try not to inhale too much as I drink it, because I want to catch the ancho chili and the beer in a way that the aroma doesn't carry. Usually, this is not my kind of thing-- I don't like foreign flavors as a dominant element, and I like for a fine food to carry more layers, or maybe more variance between its layers. "Bomb!", instead, wields its complexity in a way that focuses your attention onto that single 65-percent-cacao sensory simulacrum, making you wonder how this is even beer.

I wanted to finish by saying that I respect this beer but didn't plan to buy another. Unfortunately for me, this beer feels like a perfect match for some of my favorite domestic blue cheeses. Rogue Creamery's exquisite "Caveman Blue" sings in the same key as this stout, and I have no choice but to try them together.

Jun 18, 2021

4.25 by GFK from Michigan on Jun 15, 2021
3.76/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by MostlyMetalz from Illinois

I'm just not one for spicy beer. I've tried a few different years of this one and I just can't get past the bite of that spice. I know that's the point of the beer, just not my thing.

Jun 15, 2021

4.47 by ronniebruner from Arizona on May 26, 2021

4.73 by Bennick218 from Ohio on May 25, 2021

3.84 by Chipwells from Georgia on May 15, 2021
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
by JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

There's good carbonation, despite absolutely no head in the clear pint glass after this was emptied from a twelve ounce brown bottle. A hot peppery smell dominates and behind it, some roasted malt and chocolate. The color of this brew is the common black coffee and without any head, nor lacing, this looks like it could be a black coffee soda. But the taste is so much more complex and interesting. First, this is incredibly smooth for a laceless stout. It has a very good body, rich and velvety across the tongue. There's much to taste, mostly chocolate, somehow neither sweet, nor bitter, a hint of vanilla and just a little peppery heat. It's definitely not a burn, just a little heat. Actually, there's more pepper to the nose than to the taste. But that's OK. Why argue with a near perfect balance. Absolutely no clue that this rings in with an astonishing 13% ABV. This might not be the best brew you've ever had, but it is certainly one you must try, should the chance arise.

May 07, 2021