BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 825 | Ratings: 5,547

Oh my God....I had my wife taste & smell this beer just to confirm what I had experienced. She says she smells, coffee, chocolate and green olives...and tastes all three...I agree with all but the olives....mouth feel is full and chewy....my new all time favorite Imperial Stout...nothing else even come close.

A: Dark as midnight on a new moon eclipse with a deep tan head head does not stick around long

S: heavenly smell of tobacco coffee chocolate

T: like a dark roast with so much depth you hit the coffee and chocolate can still get a nice taste of beer you can still recognize a stout under the multiply layers and maybe a very very small taste of pepper then just a slight heat on the end from the pepper. Nice aftertaste of slight heat and roasted dark coffee super finish. this taste just envelops your tongue and assaults it in the best way so much going on here.

M: Hints of heat moderately viscous a very nice mouthfeel semi coating with some lingering heat from the peppers

O: Blown away just a well rounded fantastic beer smell crushes looks delightful and a taste that goes for miles beg borrow or steal this one is worth it.

Beautiful thick, black pour. All black, light stands no chance against this, even around the edges. The head slowly forms from the bottom up. Maybe a finger thick and light brown in color. Retains fairly well given the ABV, resulting in a thin, spotty lace.

Nothing but dark roasty things went into this beer. Roasted grains, coffee and chocolate all fill the nose. You have to dig to get to the peppers, but you'll notice them.

The taste kills. It's flawless. Coffee with hints of chocolate. The rest of the stuff is totally superfluous as these two ingredients are all that's needed. Bittersweet chocolate in the finish and barely a note of the alcohol.

Again, this is flawless. It's ultra creamy and smooth from the get go. Slightly sweet up front, with evolving bitterness and warmth in the finish. Full bodied and borderline dry finish.

This is an exceptional beer. For 13% ABV, it's a bit too easy to drink. You don't have to sip it, but you should. Basically impossible to improve upon.

Strong coffee followed by dark chocolate on the nose, which are mirrored on the palate. Phenomenal beer, one of the best in it's class; just wish it wasn't so pricey on tap at the bar where I sampled it!

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. The appearance is pure black with a brown head. The aroma is chocolate. The taste is Hershey chocolate and coffee with a big warm sensation from the high alcohol content. World class.

Damn. I can taste all of the elements. Different flavors come about as beer warms. Just super enjoyable. Really glad I picked up 2 of them!

Update: drank the second one. All 5's. It doesn't get better than this. Perfection in a stout and a beer overall. Will buy another as soon as I see one. Beats all barrel aged stouts I've had as well.

This showed up on tap at my local beer bar. It's definitely a beer that will knock you out if you don't know it's 14%. So smooth and delicious without much of an alcohol flavor. Wish I could find this somewhere so I could stash a few bottles!

This beauty is first class. Had a 5oz pour in NY and nothing about this beer is bad. Great aromas. Heavy flavors and wonderful complexity. Still very drinkable. I'm a big fan.

Fabulous. One of the best beers I've ever had. Possibly bests North Coast Rasputin and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Only drawback was its priciness where I had it.

Few things in life live up to hype. Prairie Bomb is not one of those things. The worst thing I can say about his beer is that it has ruined all other stouts for me. It is simply in a class all its own

pours an opaque, dark brown with almost very little head. nose; coffee, chocolate, & light hops. taste; rich chocolate malt, cocoa, light fudge, light coffee, vanilla, hops, & light chili pepper heat on the end. finishes malty and spicy, with a warming touch of ethanol. low carbonation & thick, smooth mouthfeel. incredibly balanced, thick & big. this is a reference imperial stout for me. amazing!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: dark, cannot see through. A minimal amount of head and almost no lacing.

S: Excellent, all the notes described on the bottle have their shine. But mainly a chocolate note with a hint of vanilla.

T: Awesome, the chills are very prominent but subdued by the chocolate and vanilla. Spiciness first followed by the cocoa and vanilla. Very well balanced as all notes participate. I do detect a little of the 14% alcohol.

M: Sticky somewhat. Little carbonation and a whole lot of flavor.

O: An superb brew that if you like the more malty dark spectrum of beers I will encourage you to try. All notes are balanced and the beer is heavy but not like cutting butter. At 14% and no detection this is a desert beer. An excellent choice that I encourage you to buy.

Textbook-perfect. Not much to say here except that this scary monster is scarily awesome and definitely well worth trying for stout lovers who have not gotten their hands on one yet.

A sublime example of just how layered and complex beer can be. Each flavor -- chocolate, coffee, and spice -- come out clean and direct and strong. Plus it's boozy. Plus it's as black as night. An incredible beer.

AMAZING! The ancho chili peppers, caco nibs, and vanilla beans are the perfect award winning combo. Left me tasting the vanilla beans and cocao nibs for hours after.

I went on a beer quest with my brother in law when we were both in California, Santa Rosa area, to find this beverage specifically. I hadn't heard of it before since I don't really have my ear to the pulse of the beer scene or whatever but his description was enough to pique my interest. As Imperial Stouts are my undisputed favorite style of beer, I knew I had to try it if I had the chance. We ended up buying the last two bottles in all of Santa Rosa (supposedly) and at $10 for 12oz (I was expecting 750ml when they told me the price) I was hoping this would be worth the cost. AND IT WAS.

Appearance: black as night, 100% opaque, poured aggressively to get a good head but even with the bottle more than a foot above the glass nothing happened until a couple seconds after the pour. Absolutely the thickest beer I've ever seen. Like, I started raising the bottle as I poured and it just looked like it was flat, then sloooowwly the the head formed after the bottle was empty and I realized that I was seeing something special. And I might as well throw the term "khaki-colored" in there because apparently you are required by law to say that about stouts. It looked like pants.

Smell: It was a couple months ago so I honestly don't remember this aspect too well, really to me it's not an important part of a good beer--more of a preview of what's to come. Seriously, are you going to find a great-tasting beer that smells weird and mark it down because of that?

Mouthfeel: Just like the appearance, it was unspeakably thick, coated the tongue just like it should for a massive imperial stout. The 12oz bottle was small but in retrospect it's a good thing because if this was in a bomber I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it by the end. It's that hearty.

Taste: Literally the best tasting beer I have ever consumed. It's my first review but far from my first beer. Really I chose this as my first review because I have such strong feelings about it. Everything advertised on the label is in here and all in perfect balance: coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and just enough chili peppers to gradually increase the heat on the fade as you work your way through the bottle. On the first couple of sips I was disappointed at the lack of pepper, but it builds so subtly and gradually that it doesn't start to hit you until you're about halfway done. By the time the bottle was sadly gone I still had the tasteful burn to remind me of what had been. The "roastiness" of a stout and the pepper heat are such a perfect match, I can't believe this flavor combination isn't more popular. And 14% ABV are you kidding me? I can handle an alcohol taste just fine, but there is almost none to speak of in this brew, and it's the strongest percentage-wise that I've ever had. The best way to describe it is to say that it's an experience you will never forget.

Actually, if you're reading this review and haven't had it yet, then you shouldn't get your hopes up because it was only brewed once. Why do breweries do that? If this was year-round I would have given them hundreds of dollars by now. Oh well, thanks for the memories!!!

I absolutely love this beer. The pairings of coffee, chili and vanilla are fantastic. I've been fortunate enough to try this on tap as well and I'm not sure I'm convinced it isn't better in the bottle.

The chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and peppery goodness that wafted out of my glass when poured just a bit cooler than room temperature. The amazing mouth feel and taste, no alcohol burn or taste on the finish but a nice nutmeg and pepper taste. Amazingly wonderful stout this one tops them all.

Appearance: 10w30 with a tan head of foam and lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Coffee beans and cocoa with hints of vanilla.

Taste: Coffee, cocoa, chili peppers, and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and rich. The finish is where the cocoa really stands out.

The Verdict: Infreakingcredible. One of the most balanced beers I've ever had. Just enough coffee bitterness, just enough cocoa bittersweet, just enough heat from the chili peppers, just enough vanilla bean flavor, just enough alcohol to make you grateful... just enough of a combination to create something beautiful.

Says its aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and chili peppers...Awesome, each one of these flavors is evident and perfectly balanced with the others. Nothing too overpowering, and nothing dominates. It all blends together magnificently!

Eye: This one is perfect and again, I can't ask for more. Thick black body with a one finger head that sticks around-color of the head is mud brown and is creamy. It looks very very inviting. Lacing is thick and beautiful.

Nose: Awesome is the first word I can find. Imperial stout, chocolate, coffee, faint chili peppers and vanilla as well. This one has everything the label states and they are not at all hard to find. None of them stick out above the other, rather they are all blended in here real nice and knowing what I'm looking for, they are easy to find.

Tongue: Just amazing. Upon the finish a little heat/spice from the peppers is noticeable. Vanilla is there to to give it depth in the finish. Aftertaste is amazing. Coffee and chocolate are evident, slight warmth from alcohol...or is it the heat from the peppers? Either way all these flavors work extremely well together in this beer. They all add huge depths of flavor to this Imperial Stout. This beer is an abyss of complexity and flavor. Real wow factor here. Just an amazing beer. I really wish I had and could get more of this...right now! Body is full and carbonation is low and according to style. I just can't believe how well everything blends together in this beer to create a very impressive and unique beer. I've not had anything like this before each flavor is here supporting the others and they all play so well off each other.

Drinkability: Seek this beer out! It is a must try! One of the best beers I've had, ever! I wish its availability were much better than it currently is but if you find this try it! A wow factor beer for me! They really, really, in every aspect don't get better. Top of the charts here.

I mean compared to every single imperial stout I've ever had, they are all child"s play compared to this one. Seriously.

The best imperial stout i've had to date the ancho chilis are just ever so there giving it just enough flavor to stand out from most other similar imperial stouts

A: Black in appearance with very little dark brown showing around the edges.
S: Heavy chocolate with a little chilli pepper.
T: Taste follows the smell almost exactly with a little bit of caramel combined with the chocolate on the front followed by a slight bit of chilli pepper on the very end.
M: This is by far the smoothest beer I've ever had, even compared to the Pirate Bomb!, it's like drinking a milk chocolate candy bar. Very thick and creamy.
O: This is the beer that every other beer I drink will be compared against because this, to me at least, is the gold standard and deserves to be in the Top 10 on BA.

12 oz Bottle poured into snifter.

A - Pitch black with almost no head, what head I get is light brown/tan in color.

S - Chocolate, cocoa, coffee, and dark fruits

T - Absolutely delicious. Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, chile peppers

O - One of the best beers I've ever had.

This beer is exactly as described on the label. Each flavor is apparent in every sip which really makes the beer taste superb. I was skeptical about the chili pepper but turned out I really enjoyed the chili pepper hint in each sip. Very full flavor with a great look and feel. Highly recommend!!

Very good beer. The heat was pretty much concealed. For a alcohol content this high it was extremely smooth to the palate. Had some interesting spices in it. Had to be the chili peppers. Highly recommended.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales