Bomb! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

1.04/5  rDev -76.9%

1.2/5  rDev -73.3%

1.5/5  rDev -66.7%

1.96/5  rDev -56.4%

Sorry, I just don't get it. This tastes like chocolate flavored coffee grounds. Expensive too.

2.17/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

The nose on this is enough to scare a lot of people off and away. If you can get past that, then it's not a bad beer. Could be much worse. Would be much better to cook with.

2.28/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.41/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is perhaps THE most over-rated beer I have ever had. Incredibly pricey, and a mix of flavors that just doesn't work if you ask me. I couldn't even finish the expensive bottle I paid for...pours little to no head, looks really good, motor oil black, but taste and mouthfeel are not just poor - rather repulsive.

2.41/5  rDev -46.4%

2.5/5  rDev -44.4%

2.5/5  rDev -44.4%

2.51/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

L: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Weizen glass. Opaque black, No waterfall, very thin head fades to nothing, no lacing. S: over cooked green peas. Day old coffee grounds. T: dirt, with heat. F: stomach churn. Some body coating mouth. O: this imperial stout is so overrated or I got a bad one. It is terrible. I cannot even tell what the Brewer is going for. I finished it because I don't waste beer, and it was 13%.

2.51/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

For me it was way too sweet, and bitter at the same time. Like you mixed 50% of the darkest espresso you've ever made with 50% ultra saccharine sugar. Maybe on day I'll be able to handle this, but today is not that day

2.52/5  rDev -44%

I wanted to try this, even though I'm not a stout fan. It looked and smelled pretty good, but I couldn't get past the taste. It's a shame that I don't like this style.

2.75/5  rDev -38.9%

2.87/5  rDev -36.2%

Honestly, I think this beer is overrated. The overall flavor lacks balance: overly sweet...marshmallow, vanilla cake, coffee. It's interesting, strong, and probably worth trying, but definitely not balanced IMHO.

2.9/5  rDev -35.6%

Very dark. Minimal head that dissipated quickly, no lacing. A bit of an orange-ish halo when held to the light.
Aroma of sour stout. Nothing much that suggests coffee or vanilla.
Flavor shows some coffee but not as much as expected. The high alcohol is evident as is the chili pepper when you walk away from it for a minute. General impression is that it is trying too hard to be too much of everything at once.
Mouthfeel generally flat, mostly triggers mid-central receptors of the tongue. Relatively clean aftertaste for a high abv brew.
Maybe I got an off bottle but just not excited at all about this. Maybe I've developed Imperial Stout fatigue...I would much prefer a 3.5-4.5% seasonable stout with some balance. This is too plum/alcohol for me.

2.96/5  rDev -34.2%