BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 878 | Ratings: 5,751
2.17/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

The nose on this is enough to scare a lot of people off and away. If you can get past that, then it's not a bad beer. Could be much worse. Would be much better to cook with.

2.41/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is perhaps THE most over-rated beer I have ever had. Incredibly pricey, and a mix of flavors that just doesn't work if you ask me. I couldn't even finish the expensive bottle I paid for...pours little to no head, looks really good, motor oil black, but taste and mouthfeel are not just poor - rather repulsive.

2.51/5  rDev -44%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

L: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Weizen glass. Opaque black, No waterfall, very thin head fades to nothing, no lacing. S: over cooked green peas. Day old coffee grounds. T: dirt, with heat. F: stomach churn. Some body coating mouth. O: this imperial stout is so overrated or I got a bad one. It is terrible. I cannot even tell what the Brewer is going for. I finished it because I don't waste beer, and it was 13%.

2.52/5  rDev -43.8%

I wanted to try this, even though I'm not a stout fan. It looked and smelled pretty good, but I couldn't get past the taste. It's a shame that I don't like this style.

2.87/5  rDev -35.9%

Honestly, I think this beer is overrated. The overall flavor lacks balance: overly sweet...marshmallow, vanilla cake, coffee. It's interesting, strong, and probably worth trying, but definitely not balanced IMHO.

2.9/5  rDev -35.3%

Very dark. Minimal head that dissipated quickly, no lacing. A bit of an orange-ish halo when held to the light.
Aroma of sour stout. Nothing much that suggests coffee or vanilla.
Flavor shows some coffee but not as much as expected. The high alcohol is evident as is the chili pepper when you walk away from it for a minute. General impression is that it is trying too hard to be too much of everything at once.
Mouthfeel generally flat, mostly triggers mid-central receptors of the tongue. Relatively clean aftertaste for a high abv brew.
Maybe I got an off bottle but just not excited at all about this. Maybe I've developed Imperial Stout fatigue...I would much prefer a 3.5-4.5% seasonable stout with some balance. This is too plum/alcohol for me.

3.04/5  rDev -32.1%

Really wanted to like this. Waited to pair this with food that met some of its ingredients. My sis in law made some ice cream sandwiches with chilles in the cookie figured this would pair well. It would have, but I didn’t expect the strength of the coffee. Anyways.. Appearance- looks good pitch black. Smell- again fine. Coffee coming out though. Taste- with all the other favors it boasts all that really showed up was the coffee. Disappointed. A little heat in the back end from the chilles. No vanilla beans or cocoa nibs like I was hoping. M- felt fine on the tongue and nice to drink. Alcohol taste was discreet. Overall- just maybe trade your other one if the opportunity arises. You don’t like coffee and have had other coffee tasting beers that tasted better than this one anyway. Nice to try it, but let me down.

3.24/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed a red wax bomb. This beer was all peppers on the nose and taste. It was extremely overpowering. I have had many beers with peppers that were great.mthis was awful

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle with no wax or bottling date, enjoyed from a snifter

A: Looks amazing: rich, velvety black with bright ruby tones. The head is dark brown with more of those ruby and crimson tones. Just a great looking beer.

S: Burnt coffee, baker's chocolate, and a light fruitiness, which I'm guessing is from the peppers. Just not a lot going on here.

T: Heavy on bitter dark chocolate, molasses, and tar. Not getting any coffee or vanilla, though I think some of the silky mouthfeel is owing to the vanilla beans. No heat whatsoever. Burnt, bitter tar bomb!

M: On the heavier side of medium bodied.

O: I wasn't a fan of this beer, which tastes a lot like what Founder's Breakfast Stout would taste like if you added a bunch of tar and cheap, burnt coffee from the gas station. Given the overwhelmingly positive reviews here, however, I'd be interested in trying it again.

3.42/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served at the 2014 RBWG in Asheville.

Strong black coffee aroma.
Hint of dark fruit and vanilla.
As bitter as black coffee despite some sweetness up front.
Burnt and charred grains dominate the finish and unpleasant aftertaste.
For burnt grain/espresso lovers only.

3.44/5  rDev -23.2%

L - Pours almost dark black with little foam on top.
S - Very interesting. Dark chocolate, medium coffee, chili pepper.
T - Taste almost identical to the smell. First chocolate, then notes of med roast coffee, then a chili pepper kick on the back end, I couldn't pick up the vanilla.
F - Smooth and chewy. It was drinkable but it didn't feel like a beer.
O - I'll note that I am probably one of the few people who really don't like porters / stouts. Having said that, I wasn't completely turned off by this and I think the brewer did a nice job with incorporating the different flavor profiles. It just didn't drink like a beer for me and I am not sure if I would try again.

3.45/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours super thick and dark, tiny little twister of bubbles at the end. Took for ever for this to warm up in my room. I drank more of it than I should of before it reached optimal temp. DEF want this to warm up to get the full taste. On the nose I'm blasted with coffee and chocolate. It kind of reminds me of smelling a flavored dunkin donuts or starbucks drink. Tasting it, you get rich bold flavor, but it's extremely sweet. lots of coacoa, vanilla sweetness, don't really get too much of a kick from the peppers. This beer is pretty yummy, but it sort of feels some where in between drinking a syrup'd out starbucks latte and drinking the most choclatey bottom of a milk-shake. Althought packed with rich flavors, something about the overt-candy rush vibe of this beer doesn't feel right. It's like some hipster donut in beer form.

note: this is the 2016 batch that just came out, maybe next time I get a chance to grab a bottle I will try to wait a couple years before trying it.

3.45/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Beer Kitchen No. 1 in Kansas City, served in a snifter.

A: Arrived as a dark black brew capped with a relatively thin dark brown head. Left decent lacing on the glass.

S: Unfortunately, I was at a restaurant, which messes with my sense of smell. What I was able to detect was a serious dose of coffee, with spicy hot pepper notes.

T: Oddly, exactly as the aroma I was able to detect, more or less. Coffee strikes right up front and does not relent, a type that tastes like pure black, undiluted, super dark roast - like a shade darker than French roasts. Hot pepper spiciness rides alongside the coffee, eventually taking over near the finish to transform the flavor experience from coffee bitter to spicy heat. There are some vague hints of dark chocolate that manifest here and there, and the base malt taste is that of a charred-black roasted bill, which simply adds to the coffee bitter.

M: Heavy and thick, this is definitely an imperial stout.

O: Wildly unbalanced, at least to my tastes, as almost all I got was the double-hit of dark coffee and chiles. I can see where the infatuation with beers that feature one or two huge flavors to blow your face off gets this beer its high marks, but it's probably not a repeater for me.

3.46/5  rDev -22.8%

I appreciate peppers in beer but just not green peppers. This is loaded with the aroma of peppers and taste of peppers but sadly there is zero heat. I can't decide if I don't like it or if it's straight up a gross mix of a salad and a beer.

Addendum - halfway through it became obnoxious sweet and difficult to considered drain pouring. However since I'm a fan a real pepper beers I added a habernero hot sauce I have before added to sub par IPA's. Didn't drain pour but will never buy this again.

3.48/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel bad writing a review on a beer that is rated 99 but I couldn't get passed the ancho chile peppers. Not knowing before drinking; the chile peppers were just too much. Over powering! Going to pick up another bottle and age it. Hopefully it mellows out the spice.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

I have had 4 batches of Bomb!. Batch 6 and 7 were disappointments. Although batches 3 and 5 were great, this recent batch is definitely a sign to me that this brewery is no longer worth my time or money.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into Teku glass on 11/23/14 at little under room temp.

A: Poured dark black with 2 finger head. No light coming through
S: Picked up on the chili peppers a little. Hint of chocolate and some good coffee notes
T: Tasted a coffee bitterness and that was about it. Not able to taste the vanilla, chocolate, or chili.
M: A bit on the bitter side, coming from the coffee. No real sweetness. Alcohol was very well hidden. Could not pick up on it at all.
O: Disappointed more than anything else. Was really looking forward to tasting this guy after all the positive reviews. It was an okay beer, but not really impressed with it. Smelled promising though. It is not worth the difficulty in picking it up in my opinion.

A- pours jet opaque black, 1/8 inch dark tan head that dissipates quickly
S- deeply roasted, arguably burnt coffee, with some raw green chile e.g. Pasilla or poblano. Honestly, between the coffee and pepper, I get a pretty unpleasant black olive flavor.
T- better than the nose, but not much. Strong coffee w very mild chile, and some roasted malt. Nothing resembling chocolate or vanilla. Not quite the same black olive flavor in the nose, but the clash between the chiles and the coffee is not terribly pleasant.
MF- Thin, even for a regular stout. Very slippery. One plus is that the alcohol is very well hidden, would not have told you this was 13% at all.
O- In light of the high regard for this beer, I have to wonder if something was wrong/off with the bottle I got. I let it scale in temp from 45 to probably 65 degrees, hoping it would open up a bit, but not much changed. If my bottle is at all indicative of what this beer is all about, I'm shockingly underwhelmed. I'm curious if some age could bring this all together, perhaps by dulling the coffee notes, but that would take quite the transformation.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

8 ounce pour - $6.50 at Argosy in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Dark brown, near black body with a frothed up, dark beige-hued head.

Smell: Blackened brackish roasted maltiness, dark chocolate powder. Dark fruits. The vegetal tones from the chiles is noted, as is the solvent alcohol quality.

Taste: Sugar infused chocolate, with harsh, ashen coffee, black molasses, and a little soft touch of vanilla. Dark fruitiness. A 'pop' of accumulating chile pepper heat. Hard roastiness on the chile-touched, hot finish with the spiciness (and alcohol) lingering into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Near full body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: The bomb isn't a dud, but, frankly, I was surprised at its overwhelming reception online. Really, I was thankful it was only eight ounces. Though, that's just one beer monkey's opinion, which is in the minority.

3.53/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a wedding snifter.

You know you're conflicted when you want to drop this bottle (due to the name), but you also know that doing so would waste a potentially great beer. ... Anyway, this stuff pours a very dark black-brown topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises dark and lightly-acrid coffee, vanilla bean, light oak, and a good helping of earthy greens. The taste holds notes of earthy coffee, roasted malts, and light dark chocolate powder. The body is a hefty-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, I don't get the love professed for this beer. It's fairly boring in terms of spiced-stout characteristics, and the peppers are really nowhere to be seen (save in adding some green earthiness to the proceedings). No real complexity is to be found. Nothing about this beer brings much in the way of comparisons to Hunahpu (which I'm not even the biggest fanboy of) and its ilk. I mean, it's not a bad beer, in all honesty, but it's nowhere near as good as I've been hearing. I just don't get it...

3.53/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Opened with a silent lack of resistance, foreshadowing the total lack of carbonation within. Smell and taste were weak and potentially oxidized. Mouthfeel was viscous like I prefer with a Imperial stout, but the lack of carbonation was problematic. Packaging is a huge part of being a good brewery, so the rating should reflect the fact that I got a poorly packaged product.

3.54/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours black, maybe a little bit of mahogany on the edges. a small tan head that fades pretty quickly and leaves nothing behind. completely dark and opaque.

Smell: huge coffee flavor that either mixes with or comes off a bit like the peppers. strong chocolate-y fudge. very faint vanilla. peppers return in the finish.

Taste: opens with a little bit of chocolate that gives off strong fudge like notes. strong pepper heat comes in and mixes with coffee. some roastiness barely makes it through along with a touch of vanilla bean. more pepper heat and taste near the end.

Mouthfeel: nice thick and a bit chewy. heat leave is good and not to strong. a little deceiving for 13%

Overall: the coffee flavor adds complexity to the pepper flavor which I can see being a good thing but I just can't come around to the taste. I do really like the fudgey body and like the level that the heat comes in. could pack a bit more alcohol punch though.

3.55/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Could have gone to sbux if I really wanted coffee with vanilla. The chili is very subtle (was able to smell the aroma of it once I popped the bottlecap and took my first whiff), and I would say that the chili is there as the 'kick' for every sip.

Light-tasting for a 13%.

3.65/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Consumed on June 20th, 2015 from a bottle, poured into a tulip/goblet hybrid glass.

Beer pours very dark and no light passes through it when held up to same. Virtually no head, just a minuscule little dark tan crown around the edges of the glass.

Aroma is bold and simple: cocoa, coffee, vanilla and chile.

Flavor is the same as the smell: coffee, mild chile, some vanilla and bitterness. Just not very tasty to this palate; the peppers ruin it.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth but slightly coating and lacking in carbonation. Some alcohol heat.

Overall, I fail to see what all the excitement is about. Will not be drinking this one again.

3.69/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in snifter at cellar temp. Nice dark brown with full dark tan foam. Nicely carbonated with beautiful lacing. Coffee grounds. Cacao nibs ground up. Faint bit of tobacco? Annnd chilli's! Very cool. Interesting first smell nothing special but gets better with contemplation.
Bam dark chocolate bitterness right away hard. Silky smooth in the mouth, really really pleasant mouth feel. Then the Chilli's come through. Spice. Finish is bitter chocolate with a hint of tongue tingling chili. Wow the chilli. Unique taste but I must confess i don't love it that's on me not Prairie.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales