BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

BOMB!BOMB!

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 816 | Ratings: 5,472
4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a single bottle from Brockport Beverage, Winter 2015/16. Poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temp.

Look: Black, thin cinnamon head which completely disappears

Smell: complex but I get coffee and chocolate

Taste: coffee, chocolate, some peppery heat

Feel: solid and slippery

Overall: pretty good

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle from gregwilsonstl, thanks again for hooking me up with a long time want. Inky black color with a smallish short lived bubbly tan head. Coffee, chocolate, molasses, dried dark fruits, hints of peppers, vanilla and roast. Yeah this one is pretty damn good and hides the alcohol wonderfully! Need more.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Midnight colored body, a rough pour yields only trace head that disappears entirely. Tranquil, no carbonation apparent. It looks like motor oil in a glass, but not as viscous. Nose is sweet, with notes of semisweet chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow, coffee and a bit of its acidity. The vanilla takes the lead on the palate, but the rest of the entourage is close behind with the addition of faint chipotle pepper heat on the finish. I could use a bit more spice from this out-of-left-field flavor, or perhaps just less of the mollifying vanilla and almost out of control sweetness. After a while a note of fleshy overripe fruit like figs or dates comes through. Medium to heavy body, barest amount of carbonation but I wouldn't want any more anyway, fairly sticky. To its credit, the semi-light body is the only giveaway of the massive alcohol presence contained within.
Sugar BOMB! It was well constructed and gave roughly equal representation to each component (too much vanilla too little pepper), but damn was it sweet. It needed a heavier body as well.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served at 65 degrees in oversized snifter

This is a good beer. 2 fingers of dark kaki head, black as night. Smell is predominantly coffee and cocoa nibs with a subtle spice diced peppers smell. Taste gets a bit more complex with amplified notes of what you smell… No vanilla at all for me, kinda disappointing there. Feels great on the tongue like any good RIS. As I said at the beginning this is a good beer… this is not a great beer. Abraxas is a vastly superior mexican style imperial stout. Maybe this just needs age… will re review in a year or so.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look and lacing is just as I like it for an imperial stout--blackness in most of middle, and a solid light brown head circling. Aroma presents vanilla immediately. Chili is perfect. I actually don't like the habaneroed beers (Cake, Sculpin), so I was concerned about how prominent the bite might be. Turned out to be just right. As with most imperial stouts, this really enhanced itself with warming. My only drawback was that the body was not as robust as I expected for a 13%er. But it's unquestionably a stand-out. For non-BA imperial stouts, I'd still take an Expedition over this, but this was very good.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Love the cap, my all time favorite now, a catfish.

Appearance: I think this is the best part of the beer, it has a world class appearance, pitch black, no light, nice creamy tan head, a lot of lacing that I have never seen in an imperial stouts.

Smell: Big coffee, a little roasted pepper smell on the end, a little bit of chocolate, but the coffee is the most prevalent aroma.

Taste: Coffee, a little roasted pepper, not getting any chocolate on the taste, some bitterness at the back end, a lot of heat like taking a shot. I think its a combination of the alcohol 13% and the roasted peppers, getting a big dry bitter coffee flavor, it's almost as if I am eating coffee grounds, really close with the dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy, dry mouthfeel that lingers.

Overall: I am not sure what to think about this beer, too much going on for me, roasted coffee, peppers, bitterness, heat, complex but I am not sure if this is a good thing. I love stouts and porters with peppers, but I think the flavors in this beer don't mix well, leaves a dry coffee bitterness that lingers on the palate. I was expecting more especially for the price, $9.99 for a 12 ounce bottle.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

This was one of my more anticipated beers. Poured out dark black with very little head to it that went away almost as soon as I had set it down on the table. The scent wowed me as I really picked up vanilla and coffee. I couldn't really get much of the peppers at first, but they were in there. I got them much more in the taste, however. It wasn't as strong as I had thought it would be for a 13% ABV beer. This one seemed to be a tad more boozy than I had heard from others, but the initial coffee/chocolate hit really started this off right for me. The middle of the glass was where it hit its sweet spot for me. The flavors were mixed best by that point and honestly it was better as it warmed. It was my first experience with a high ABV Imperial Stout and first with a chili pepper blend, but it was a great first experience. Top notch beer.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

I tried Prairie Bomb at the Brass Tap in Round Rock, Texas (a great place by the way). This was recommended to me by the Bar Maid who had an absolutely incredible knowledge of her beers. The taste is rich with coffee / chocolate accents - mouthfeel was as smooth as velvet. I sipped and enjoyed this brew for at least 45 minutes - which honestly - is a long time for me to savor any brew. I've got to testify....this a Mighty Fine Ale!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Notes of chocolate and dark, roasty malts and finishes with a bit of heat. This one a little bit more balance in terms of chocolate to chili flavors, which is a positive. I've had some stouts in this same category that are over-the-top hot, which is probably what places this beer towards the top of a lot of people's lists.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black from a 12z bottle, looks like it's marked 4/15 so it's about a year old. Looks perfect, with no head. When I stop pouring it attempts to form some suds but gives up the ghost after barely getting a thin layer. No lacing.

Smells like cocoa -- instant chocolate , no coffee, no malt.

Taste is of bitter baker's chocolate, and dark fruit in there quite distinct, along with tart of the fruit. It's very nicely balanced, and malt gives it a caramel body, but doesn't go too bready. Very sippable, almost like a porter rather than an imperial. No push-back at all. Yes, it's resiny and heavy and boozy at the finish but otherwise the alcohol is hidden extremely well. Hard to believe this is 13%.

I'm not getting any of the ancho chili peppers. Maybe it needs to warm... the caramel malt becomes more evident and burnt coffee is a little more obvious as it opens up. Body is getting more complex the longer I swirl and sip --there's the ever so slightest hint of the chili peppers now but I'm looking for it -- the pepper thing is a non-starter, at least for this bottle, oh well.

I have another bottle to age to see if the pepper flavor might come out more -- at $10 a 12oz I'm not sure how many of these I'll be grabbing to experiment further...

Nevertheless, a fine imperial stout that's chocolate forward, and easily drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Can we say thanks again to my man Kevinpitts. Out of a bottle into my tulip.

A – Black pour with a dark brown head that settles down. Looks like liquid chocolate.
S – Great aroma. Chocolate, lactose, vanilla.
T – Taste like liquid dark and milk chocolate to start. Not overly sweet however. Roasted malts, vanilla, brown sugar. Coffee flavors come on with a nice bitter flavor. Touch hot at the end.
M – Low carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Lingers with light sweetness.
O – You feel this beer. The flavors and the bite are wonderful. Mixes the sweet and hot bite well. Winner.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The nose is pure chocolate and chili pepper. I love how spicy (yet restrained) it seems, and yet the dark chocolate is so damn rich. Flavor wise, it follows the nose beautifully, only with greater touches of roast and coffee. The finish has a gentle spiciness and a touch of vanilla. It's complex, nuanced, and subtle - utterly miraculous for a big, adjunct laden imperial stout. There's no alcohol presence, yet the finish is respectably dry. It's a big, intense monster that's balanced and even delicate. And that, that's what beer is all about.

4.17/5: It's a bomb...and a scalpel at the same time

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Taste it the first time -- too strong, too hot, lots of alcohol, not balanced. Taste it the second time -- wait a second...that is realllllly good! Taste is another time, you're addicted. Good luck :P

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Small Bar, chicago.

Pretty dark place, but it appeared pretty pitch black with a little head that dissipated rather quickly.

Smells of coffee, chocolate. Mostly roasted coffee.

Tastes of coffee, nice heat from the chili. I initially thought of End of Days, but more complex and palatable. Not as sweet, but just sweet enough. Somewhat like Abraxas, but not as chocolately.

Mouthfeel is about medium, not as chewy as I like my brews, but enough to be rather enjoyable with mild carbonation.

Overall, I enjoyed this brew very much. The chili is present, not overwhelming, but just right. Could use a little more cocoa nib presence. A BA version would be interesting. Oh, and the 14% alcohol? This has 14%? You gotta be kidding me. I don't taste it at all!! I did feel it though... haha

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Viscous brew with, perhaps surprisingly, much more of a coffee punch than any sort of chile heat. As an ardent spicy stout fan, that feature let me down a touch, but it's still a well executed brew.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Prairie Bomb!. Definite chocolate and vanilla nose, taste is chocolate, coffee and booze, not much bitterness. Chili pepper is there if you think about it, but doesn't dominate. I like it, though struggle to justify the cost. Still, It is going on my favorites list!

Update: The review above was from a fresh bottle. I later had the chance to have it on tap and the keg was aged 6mo - really brought out the peppers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours with a tan head of about half a finger. Jet black color with a substantial amount of floaties on the bottom on the initial pour but dissipated as this beer was drank. Above average active carbonation for the style.

Smell: Airy oak, heavily roasted medium bodied coffee grounds, and sweet milk chocolate and lactose hit on the nose. Definite splash of earthy fruits from the peppers. Hoppy tones mute some of the vanilla. Smokiness lingers from the nose to the body. Chocolate and lactose continue to be very present throughout.

Taste: Smooth front of vanilla, espresso, and milk chocolate greet the drinker. Herbal, rustic fruits make a bold entrance on the body. Light coffee grounds, creamy lactose, and lingering herbal notes round out the body. The finish is a dry smokiness with a mixture of the earlier mentioned flavors with no outstanding outliers.

Mouthfeel: The palate is lightly taxed for what this beer is. Carbonation fits this brew very well. Slight oaky chalkiness lingers.

Overall: Loved by first offering from Prairie. The additives are well done in this brew but for me almost come together too well and none really stand out. The peppers are the highlight here. Just a tick off of being a world class stout but something I would always be excited to drink.

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a Teku. 2015 vintage.

Pours an ink black with little to no head. No signs of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Strong coffee and chocolate aroma.

Taste of vanilla, coffee, with a mild chili pepper burn on the back end.

Mildly carbonated and a bit thin.

Good 13% stout at a $7.99 price tag. Glad this one is relatively available, but don't plan on drinking more than one in a setting.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L-Black with no light transference. An aggressive pour leads to a chocolate half centimeter head which quickly recedes to a thin ring and no lacing.
S-Coffee is the dominant aroma with some chocolate evident in the back end.
T-Coffee punches you in the face up front, but subsides and dark chocolate takes over in the middle. The chilies are obscured until the very end and provide a pleasant warming finish. I detect no vanilla or alcohol.
F-Thick and viscous as a good stout should be. Carbonation is light and appropriate for the style.
O-The coffee flavor was a little strong for me at first, but my palate adjusted and I found myself enjoying this beer. The Chile aspect is well done and is a nice level which adds, but does not dominate the flavor profile. My only complaint is that the Vanilla was obscured by the coffee, but again it's a minor quibble. I enjoyed this beer an although the price point is higher than I would like for a 12 oz. bottle, I'd happily drink it again.

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Appearance - Inky black. Not much of a head. No bubbles. Slightly transparent at the edges.

Smell - Lots of chocolate. Some cinnamon. Coffee is secondary, or tertiaty I guess. Peppers on the back end.

Taste - Very chocolatey. Coffee is more prominent, but blends into the chocolate. The pepper flavor peaks out at the beginning but builds up throughout. A bit of spiciness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Really doesn't taste like 14%. Medium heavy body. Prett chewy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Impressive. Great flavors and enough of a stout to stand up to them. Bourbon barrel please? Yumm.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First time getting to try this longtime want. Not at all what I was expecting. Tastes almost like a big vanilla milk stout, very little spice. Almost no perceptible booze, which of course is remarkable for a 13% beer.

This thing is a vanilla bomb, to the point where it takes over everything else, especially considering I was looking forward to some chile spice. Plenty of chocolate too, it's like Southern Tier's Mokah on steroids. Still quite tasty, but would be more successful if it was billed as a milkshake/desert beer, rather than a spiced stout.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours inky black, light brown head with strong lacing. Dark malt, chocolate, vanilla(a lot) bouquet. Smooth, malty, nice coffee, vanilla, cocoa flavor with just the barest heat as the endnote. Mouthfeel is medium, minimal effervescence and a tad syrupy. Strong alcohol notes, but overall quite pleasant.
An enjoyable beer, a bit cloying, and may be better classified as a desert beer or after dinner cordial. Tasty, but I could barely finish one, much less drink more than one. Good but not quaffable.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz brown bottle purchased from Leura Cellars, imported by ExperienceIT.

Pours a very silky and slick black-brown colour, with a fineness to the body that almost makes it looks thin. Head is minimal, forming some dark frothy and settling out to a topological film. Minimal lacing. Body is good however, and there's fine carbonation present when tilted. Looks pretty good all up.

Nose is ripe and biting with bright coffee characters first up. There's a slight smoky vegetative quality to it as well, possibly the ancho. There's plenty of roast as well: surprisingly, there's not a great deal of sweetness though, and it relies much on the coffee for its breadth.

Taste is extremely smooth and fine, with a clean, slick malt roast character glossed over by some malt sweetness—again it's fairly subdued, and it's an interesting way to go. Some coffee characters bite a little around the back as well, laced with some aromatic chilli characters, although no heat. Alcohol is very well hidden. I drank this with breakfast before any other beers, so I wasn't inured to booze by any means—but I still couldn't really sense it.

Overall, yeah, this is another cracking brew from Prairie. I'm yet to have a bad beer from them, and this is probably even pushing up their average despite the average being very high already.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer is just like it's name. A bomb! Poured from a bottle into a snifter. You will want to share this beer with some friends. Pours a jet black with a nice head with lots of aromas. Cinnamon, vanilla, the works. You can def taste the alcohol. It has an awesome bite and even better going down. It is very heavy and thick. I would def recommend this beer to anyone who likes big stouts!

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

No pretty gold wax for me, but a wonderful beer non the less.

Pours dark as night, really no color is coming out of it even on the edges (not the best lighting ever for this search but the white computer screen should give me a hint). I didn't get a lot of head from the pour, but the beer coats the glass with lacing and carbonated legs with any movement. Really one of the better looking stouts if you're into beer porn I suppose.

The nose is of coffee and pepper notes jumping out of a dark malt and chocolate body. A part of me is a bit iffy on what to expect given I generally do not like chili powder in anything, especially stouts.

Roasted coffee with a bit of a pepper kick over chocolate. it's really interesting how the prices seem to be an experience separate from the beer. I could focus on the beer and I'd almost ignore them or I can focus on the spice/coffee and get that. It's a really unique duality of beer going on here.

Well carbonated and a big body yet for some reason it has something off on the mouth feel.

Really really great beer and fully deserving of the praise. Thankfully also a pretty easy beer to get now days.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales