Bomb! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Ratings: 5,885 |  Reviews: 914
4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Tuttle for hooking this up back when it wasn't a shelf turd.

Looked the part, brown and black, thin beige head. Smelled of everything advertised, coffee, chocolate, peppers and vanilla.

Rich, luxurious taste and mouthfeel. I bit pricey at almost a dollar and ounce, but its a damn good beer, there's been some batch variation to say the least the last year or so, but in its pristine form, this is an enjoyable beer, delivers the flavor without undue sweet or bitterness. Its a solid beer. But jeez, $60/6 pack? C'mon man.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Prairie's BOMB! a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and now that it's available where I live I knew I needed to try it, but the price is a little off putting, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This label looks good, it's got a nice simple design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just a thin ring of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, but I wish it had a little more head and better retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to showed up and they impart a roasted malt, slightly charred, sweet malt and big chocolate aromas with the chocolate sticking out the most and it imparts some nice dark chocolate and milk chocolate like aromas and it goes right into some coffee which is noticeable, but not too overpowering which I like. Up next comes a light alcohol aroma that leads into the malt spices which impart a nice mixture with cinnamon sticking out the most.. This beer has a very nice aroma, it's complex and all the different aspects work well together.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with those malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the dark chocolate sticking out the most and in the background comes the coffee which shows up just as much as it did in the aroma. Up next a noticeable boozy flavor, it's noticeable, but not overpowering and it's followed by the spices which impart that same mixture of spices that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's some sweet malts with just a little bit of bitterness with a little bit of alcohol coming through in the aftertaste along with chocolate, coffee and spices. and the chili pepper shows up right at the end. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors work well together, but it's a little on the boozy side.

M- Fairly smooth, velvety, a little rich, not too crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is very nice, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, it had everything that I was looking for in the style and no single aspect ever got to be too overpowering while retaining a good amount of complexity. This beer had decent drinkability, one glass is the right amount of me, it might start to get too boozy after more than that. What I like the most about this beer was the complexity and how all the different aspects worked well together. What I liked the least about this beer is the booze, I think it could have been hidden a little better. I would buy this beer again, but only for special occasions since it's pretty pricey and I would recommend it to anyone who likes spices stouts. All in all I really liked this beer and I was a little impressed, I don't think it's world class, but it's pretty damn good. All in all this my new favorite beer from this brewery and it's a very nice example of the style. Great job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

As advertised. Cocoa nibs, coffee, and peppers. Pitch black, no head, thick as oil. Peppers are warm but alcohol is warmer. I'd say this is an acquired taste. The hot peppers are a little strange.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%

BOMB! surprised me. I was expecting an imperial stout, and instead I got a cocoa bomb. Mind, it's an impressive cocoa bomb, but I didn't get any of the roasty flavors that I expected. I also couldn't pick up the Chile influence, although in fairness, I do like hot peppers, so maybe the chiles are there, just below my detection threshold. Recommended if you like Hershey's syrup.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, no head, very dark.
Smell is coffee forward, tastes like dark chocolate syrup. Very delicious.
Not picking up on the chili peppers or vanilla much but still tastes great.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Little to no head. Looks like a normal stout.

Smells strongly of chocolate. Great smell. Like if you put alcohol into really nice hot chocolate.

Tastes like roasty chocolate and coffee, with a tiny chili tingle on the end.

Overall, pretty good, but I almost wish I got more typical stout characteristic and less chocolate.

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomb! from Prairie Artisan Ales