BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

BOMB!BOMB!

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 819 | Ratings: 5,512
4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

This is the best beer I have ever had. I have been scanning these forums for reviews for a couple years, but finally i had to create an account, just to rate this one. What a monster. And super smooth for the alcohol content. Wow wow wow! Will be buying this again for years to come!

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Washes in coffee and chocolate and bourbon overtones; repeats. Initial Intensity gives way to balance and depth. 13% ABV is all there but smooth; savor slowly. Compare to Ballast Point Victory at Sea: very slightly below, if that.

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

Dark black color with minimal head that settled to a thin cap. Some spotty lacing is left down the glass. Not too surprising considering the ABV. The dominant aroma in this stout is chocolate with notes of vanilla, coffee, marshmallow, and chiles. I expected more coffee. The flavor is not as special as I was expecting and certainly not worth the price of admission. Not enough coffee for me. What you do get is a nice big, slightly sweet stout flavor with notes of chocolate, smoke, ash, earth, and a finish of alcohol and chile spice and heat. Big body and smooth texture.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black body which allows no light through whatsoever, Thick, creamy and dark tan head, you know, the kind that dreams are made of! Dense lacing and, oh yeah, the head is about four fingers thick and slowly thins out to a constant finger and half thickness.
Smell: Sweet brown sugar, caramel, coffee ,cocoa and butter.
Taste: Bitter, but not too bad, coffee beans, cocoa, light buttery aftertaste. Sweet overall and just a hint of alcohol in its aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, it really covers your mouth, with a dry finish that feels like you’ve just some mint!
Overall: Fantastic beer, very smooth, tasty and creamy, you need to try this ale!

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this for the first time on draught. It pours a deep, rich mahogany - nearly black, with a creamy, khaki-colored head and lacing. It smells of roasty malt, coffee, chocolate, caramel, molasses, and a whiff of smoke. The taste is positively decadent: roasted malt, burnt coffee, molasses, caramel, and pepper. The flavors blend perfectly to create one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. It is, for an imperial stout, medium-bodied, and moderately carbonated. You can feel the 13% ABV but it just adds to the wonderful experience of drinking this world class stout. Overall, it is simply exquisite. What I wouldn't do to find it more frequently in New Jersey!

4.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours jet black with a moderate amount of bubbles. Slight finger of tan head that settles into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A very roasty and rich dark malt driven aroma with a scent of coffee, chocolate, and pepper. Dark roasted barley malt with a big scent of coffee beans, dark chocolate, cacao nibs, biscuit, toast, and smoke with yeast. Sweet hints of vanilla, molasses, and cream. Some hints of chili peppers. Subtle dark fruit hints. A really great roasty aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a roasty, rich, and spicy dark malt driven taste with notes of coffee, chocolate, and peppers. Dark roasted barley malt with notes of coffee beans, dark chocolate, cacao nibs, toast, smoke, and biscuit along with some yeast. Sweet taste of vanilla, cream, and molasses. Moderate taste of chili pepper spice. Light dark fruit undertones. A really good taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Rich, creamy, and fairly spicy with moderate booze heat.

Overall: A great Imperial Stout. Good mix of chocolate and coffee flavor with a nice touch of pepper heat.

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A truly fantastic beer. One of the best non-BA stouts that I've ever drank. All the flavors come together beautifully and at 13% the alcohol is hidden very well. The only thing stopping me from drinking this all the time is the price tag. At $8/bottle I can't say its not worth it, but definitely more than some other similar quality stouts.

4.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bomb! Is great. I think the barrel aged versions are better, but as a stand alone base beer, it's awesome. You really get the heat from the spices, and the other adjuncts complement them nicely. Another one I could drink several of and be fine.

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Nearly black, with some brown on the edges, and a surprisingly large head for an imperial stout.

Smell: Coffee dominated for me, with some possible hints of the peppers lingering in the back, malt, possibly the cacao.

Taste: Initially, while a bit colder, I was getting just the coffee and in the aftertaste, a chili burn, but as the beer warmed I was able to detect the cacao a bit. Apparently I'm bad at identifying vanilla.

Feel: medium full mouth feel that coats the mouth.

Overall: I would love to drink this beer again, but I was slightly disappointed with the mouth feel.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Well, I finally splurged for a bottle of BOMB! The first taste tells me I didn't waste my money, at least. This is fantastic! All the flavors I expected were immediately presented. Lots of roasted flavors from the coffee and the roasted grain, I would presume and a raisiny, toffee like sweetness that somehow covers up the alcohol. I have had 10% Stouts that seemed boozier. Nice, creamy mouthfeel keeping that pepper bite at bay. This is really well-made stuff. NOTE: Wondering what the BA version would taste like, I added a couple of drops of Jack Daniels to the last 5 or so ounces. Tastes so good I wonder why the breweries don't just go this route instead of expensive barrel aging. Throw a little bourbon (or whatever) in with some oak chips and I bet you would have a passable faux-BA stout.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite stout, hands down. Its extremely well balanced between the coffee/chocolate notes and the slight Bourbon barell aging. The abv sneaks up on you notice everything else without overpowering it. There is a slight peppery taste that makes it extra special. It may be oversweet to most stout lovers, but Honestly, if you don't like it, you're wrong!

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love a good chocolate/coffee beer and typically like a little pepper/spicy along with it, so this really fulfilled all of those things. VERY well balanced considering all those flavors. Drank at about cellar temp, which really brought out everything described. Aside from Hawaiian Speedway Stout, this rates as one of the best Non-BA Stouts I've had. Happy it made its way to MN

4.23/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a typical black as night color, with a one-finger large head. Good head retention.

Smells of roasted coffee malts, cocoa, some subtle vanilla sweetness, milk chocolate, and a sticky spiciness.

This taste strongly and boldly, yet has a nice balance. The sweet milk chocolate from the smell is quite present, with cocoa and spices in the aftertaste. Body is full and creamy.

This is an excellent stout

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass cold. Tasted cold and then allowed to warm up over 30 minutes or so...

Look: Dark as death... Black with the thinnest brown head. Looks thick but pours thin.

Smell: Immediately I get pepper, little alcohol, chocolate, some coffee..

Taste: Really good - Jalapenos - very fresh ones and a nice surprise!. Dark chocolate, coffee... As it warmed up the fresh peppers faded and I got more warm spices, some cream and 'nilla...

Mouth feel: Thick and rich, totally the opposite of how it appeared to pour. Very, very satisfying.

Overall - I like this better than the Founders KBS, which has been my standard for a while in stouts. As stouts go this is certainly the best of the best, and I would love to be able to get it readily.

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a simple black with virtually no head. The first aroma to rise out of the glass is a storng impression of vanilla, followed by some pepper spice and pepper flesh, as well as milk chocolate, fudge, sweet tobacco, and some cinnamon. The flavor begins with milk chocolate, vanilla, and cream, followed by notes of mild coffee, cinnamon, nuitmeg and other warm spiceds, and the heat comes through just a bit on the end. The mouthfeel is hugely thick and creamy, honestly about the texture of heavy cream. Overall I get the hype - this is a superb beer

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my first time drinking a Bomb and it had just followed a 2015 BCBS. Overall, it was a nice change of flavor profiles with a very strong chili smell but just a mild hot finish. The chocolate helps subdue the chili and really presents a nice feel.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark mahogany color with a beige/tan head, smells of vanilla and coffee with chocolate malts, taste is great vanilla and coffee mix well with chocolate and pepper in the finish very tasty combo, mouth feel is smooth and sweet with all flavors mixing well , a great coffee stout that i found myself drinking to fast.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a Guinness stout glass.
As advertised, this a fantastic brew. The aroma was probably the only thing that didn't sing to me. While it wasn't flat, it came across fairly weak, compared to the taste. Taste-wise, was a tale of 2 stages. The 1st stage was very good. I picked up on the vanilla, the coffee, the malts, and the alcohol. The alcohol was not overpowering though, as it blended into the taste factor nicely. Stage 2 was about halfway through (I took my time drinking this), the pepper really started to come into play. What a great way to finish a thick, smooth beer like this.

While I typically don't go for the higher ABV beers, I'm currently going through a taste-testing stage for Imperial Stout beers. Most of my previous tastes are one shot samplings.. but I will definitely have another Bomb on hand for a revisit to this exceptional beer.

4.01/5  rDev -10.5%

I was looking forward to this one but, while it is certainly good, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as many appear to. The alcohol heat is too intense (does this beer need to be this strong?), which negatively impacts the whole experience. The vanilla and chili mix well together, but I end up with the impression that this beer is all about the additional flavours, making it hard to get at the base beer. That said, the vanilla tastes great and the slight heat is pleasant; the whole package is quite luxurious, but for the heat. It's very good, but if it was toned down a bit I think it would be a real improvement.

4.61/5  rDev +2.9%

Love, love, love this beer! I have been so impressed with these guys. Everything I've had from them I've enjoyed. But nothing like Bomb (even BA bomb)! Very interesting take on a stout. Give it a shot!

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a black hole black no highlights on this one when held to the light. Very small brown head even from aggressive pour do to high abv i guess.

Aroma is big roasted malts big doses of coffee and chocolate. Smaller doses of chilies that also lean toward vinous fruit notes and vanilla.

Taste is big also like the nose chocolate and big coffee doses swim with vanilla and light chili notes. Just the amount of chili peppers to give it a kick without distracting. Some nice sweetness almost molasses like finishes with sweetness, vanilla and chili pepper kick.

Mouthfeel is big nice and smooth with mellow carbonation.

Overall not a bad stout, do like the chili pepper kick. But might be rated tad to high while very good its not blowing my mind or anything maybe at half the price it might blow my mind.

3.92/5  rDev -12.5%

I liked this beer, but wasn't crazy about it. A lot going on with the coffee, chili, and vanilla. My taste buds were confused. I drank one at room temp and one super cold out of my fridge, and the cold one was much better. seemed to blend all the flavors better

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

LET THE BEER WARM UP. The chilies disappear at a cold temp. This beer is fucking outrageous. The taste and mouthfeel are world class. Took me a while to reconcile the vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, dark ground coffee and ancho chilies but, man oh man, once I got my act together it started to sing. Unlike anything I've had before. Silky smooth with a lingering heat that complements, not overpowers, the flavor profile. One of those whole-is-better-than-the-sum-of-its-parts experiences. You can imagine how each component will taste individually but not the whole. Somehow worth the money.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving: On tap in a snifter
Served: 7 May 2016

500th beer!

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark black with just the slightest evidence of a tan head on the top of the beer, clinging to the sides of the glass slightly before dissolving under influence from the high ABV.

Smell: Quite a complex nose, with strong assertions of cocoa powder, coffee, mocha-like sweetness, and vanilla. Not picking up much of the chilli peppers in the nose.

Taste: Clean and clear flavors identifiable with nothing really being muddled together, which is nice for a stout of this repute. I picked up more of that mocha-coffee sweetness, likely due to the coffee and cacao nibs interacting together. You could pick out coffee notes but also a definitive chocolate as well. Soft vanilla sweetness in the midpalate and back end. Again, not picking up much from the chilis at all, though there is a bit of cut of something not sweet at the very back of the palate, which I attribute to the chilis. Perfectly masked alcohol, even at 13%.

Mouthfeel: Large body with medium carbonation. It's big and it drinks big. I felt like the small 6oz serving was perfect at the bar I was at though, which kept me from feeling bogged down in the beer.

Overall: A marvelous brew and one I would highly recommend. Definitely a treat for my 500th brew!

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Birthday beer from Ricks. BLACK! Peppers don't show up much in the flavor. Has a good coffee sent but not overpowering and lot flavors jumbling up in the first drink that seem to organize themselves as you get into. Finish is what I like from an imperial stout. 13 percent alcohol is hidden well. Order again if you see it.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales