Bomb! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

#105

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,236 |  Reviews: 1,005
4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Let me preface this by saying almost every bottle of Bomb! I have ever had was amazing. It is a stellar beer. With that being said I got a bad bottle last year that tasted like you were sucking on a penny. I contacted the people at Prairie just to let them know and they were really rude about the whole thing even though I was just trying to give them a heads up. So while this beer is delicious I now choose other beers in this style to help support other breweries who care a bit more about their customers.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark brown with a matching head. The spice from the chilis wafts up to the nose. Delicious beer with a lot going on. Very chili-forward, with a nice bite. It has the perfect amount of coffee flavor, with a nice background of the cacoa and vanilla. Very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.26/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My assessment of this one is close to that of 'micada'. Fresh off the tap in a 32 oz. growler. Similar to Weyerbacher Sunday Morning. As with that ~ can respect / detect the booze (bourbon-like-burn)....

4.01/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

355 mL bottle received in a trade quite a while back (thanks, Farees). The code stamp has become illegible, but I know it's at least two years old. Served slightly chilled.

Impenetrable to light, this jet black-coloured stout starts off with a thin, frothy, tan-coloured head that fizzles off in under a minute; a quick swirl of the glass kicks it back up, but it fades just as quickly thereafter. A nondescript collar remains, but there's no cap, and very little lace. Not much to look at, but it smells pretty damn good - smoked ancho chili peppers and rich cocoa notes are easily discerned, with roasted coffee beans and molasses also coming through fairly clearly. Very subtle suggestions of prune and raisin, too. Not getting a lot of vanilla - which is fine by me, as IMO vanilla works best in beer when it's used sparingly.

Very tasty, even when aged. Notes of molasses and milk chocolate are soon shoved off to the margins by its roasted malt backbone and robust adjunct bill. Cocoa, dark chocolate-covered coffee beans and vanilla beans come together with exquisite cohesion, especially during the tail end of the sip. It concludes with an earthy, highly roasted flavour which plays beautifully with the hints of smoke and the mild heat of the ancho chilies that linger briefly into the aftertaste. Some roasty astringency and a touch of licorice, too. I am genuinely shocked at how flawlessly well the 13% abv is hidden/integrated - I barely notice any warmth from it whatsoever. Medium-full in body, with very gentle carbonation that hardly registers on the surface of the palate; the texture is mostly smooth, slick, and quite soft. My only regret is that I don't have a younger bottle available to use for a side-by-side comparison.

Final Grade: 4.4, a fabulous A grade. Prairie Bomb! is currently the 103rd most highly rated beer on BA, and now that I've had a glass of the stuff it's not hard to see how it wound up in that relatively prestigious spot. The chili peppers, vanilla, cocoa and coffee are present in such painstakingly perfect proportion that there's no way it could be an accident - it's just a wonderfully well-crafted stout that I am glad I had the chance to try (aged or not). Well worth seeking out - if I'm lucky enough to acquire another bottle, I'll drink it fresh... but from experience I'd say it does hold up reasonably well in the cellar.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ironically this is a beer, I am told, that lives up to its name: (the) Bomb! This 13% ABV American Imperial Stout has an assortment of ingredients that conjure up images of a deep, shadowy and impressive brew that the Gods themselves might sup on within the mighty halls of Valhalla: Spaceship Earth roasted coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chilli peppers - yep, that’s a recipe for “awesome-sauce” in any legitimate definition of said word (which I borrowed from ‘Parks and Recreation’). Indeed I’ve never had the urge to waffle less in one of these preambles than I do right now: the desire to crack this dark temptress open and imbibe the black ooze within is a powerful aphrodisiac that I am too weak to resist *crown cap pops* [still managed to waffle though - the waffle is strong with me].

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Deep opaque inky black nightmare of a body with a chocolate brown dense head that sticks around impressively well and belies that 13% ABV that is waiting to consume me soon enough. 9/10.

S: Earthy AF, roasty AF as well... verdant roasted cold-drip coffee mingles freely with vanilla and coffee cherry hints, a lingering sweet roasted malt base, then a bit of smoke and dark chocolate. Not getting much in the way of the ancho chilli peppers, but as we [I! The Royal "we"! You know, the editorial...] know that chilli in beer tends to come across more in the flavour profile (and generally in the back of the throat). 9/10.

T: Flavour profile hits with that pervading earthy AF/roasty AF character noted above and follows through to a broad mid-palate coffee/dark chocolate sweetness and a good sweet/bitter balance IMO (maybe a tad towards the dessert side if you’re not a fan of dessert beers though). Hints of vanilla and smoke come in towards the finish, and yes there’s a chilli bite at the back, though I reckon Bomb! could get away with more chilli. Balance is pretty sublime - a real Imp Stout sipper right here. Bit of booze in the aftertaste that detracts a little though. 9/10.

M: Heavy bodied and a bit too sticky and cloying here - less of that please. 7/10.

D: Apart from a mouthfeel that requires a good old tongue scrapping, this is a solid Imp Stout that puts Prairie on the map for me. It’s like a halfway between Founders Breakfast Stout and Omnipollo Selassie, with the chilli adding a nice touch of heat to the proceedings. Price is a sore point at $23 AUD a bottle, yep. 8/10.

Food match: Something dark and spicy: Mole Poblano with rice and black bean.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

loads of coffee, espresso in the taste, coconut as well, booze on the palate, spice is only side note luckily. not bad but somehow weird too. too roasty for me in the end. body is smooth and with reduced carbonation and nothing to complain about. not my favourite coffee stout. I guess I should stop buying those as a not coffee drinker.

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Praire Atisan Ales Bomb! 13% ABV.
Look: pitch black, tan head
Smell: From the bottle I told my friend that it smells like soy sauce, ha, from the glass more boose, coffee
Taste: coffee, chocolate, roasty bitterness and warming from the booze(blended well)
Feel: a bit heavier, smooth and silky with some bitterness on the back end
Overall: It's a really dark and heavy, but smooth. I am not sure where the chili peppers went, but I could not taste any of those. That's kind of a disappointment because I never had a chili peppery stout, but it was still a very good beer.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2017 12 oz bottle. Pleasantly surprised to find this locally, though I'm not saying where...I might need a couple more to cellar! Poured slightly chilled into a snifter. Dark like oil with very little head, fading to thin tan ring. Very noticeable chili pepper and coffee on the nose. First sips are strong coffee forward, with a hint of the chili in the background. Thick mouthfeel, satisfying for the style, with barely any carbonation. After letting it warm to open the profile, cocoa comes forward over the coffee, and the vanilla pokes out a bit. Good flavor balance, no bitterness, no hoppiness, but all malt bomb with a little heat. I have a second bottle to cellar, so we'll see how it develops over time. Next time I'd start with it warmer as the chill seemed to stunt it too much.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev 0%

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5