Bomb! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

#99

Ratings: 6,065 |  Reviews: 957

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz. gold wax dipped bottle poured into Cigar City snifter. No bottling info that I can find.

A - Pours coal black with a full finger of mocha head. The frothy head lasts for a while and leaves a spotty lacing upon its retreat.

S - Smells like Hershey's chocolate world. Rich, sweet, creamy chocolate with a big dose of vanilla. Just the lightest bit of cayenne along with a some toasted malts. One fo the best smelling beers I have ever come across, hands down. Amazing.

T - Big chocolate notes to start, although I would classify it closer to dark chocolate than the milk chocolate I got in the nose. Sweetens considerably as it warms and the vanilla starts to shine through. A touch of heat on the finish, but I'm not sure if its due to the chili peppers or the 14% ABV. Complex and intensely flavored. Delicious.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Smooth with just a bit of lingering heat.

O - I was stoked when I saw this on the shelf at my favorite neighborhood beer store. I had never seen it before and jumped at the chance to try it. I am so glad I did. I very rarely give otu a 5 in a category, but it is hard for me to imagine a finer smelling beer. The flavor does not disappoint with a powerful blend of chocolate and vanilla bean with mild pepper heat. It's hard for me to believe this beer is 14% because it was gone before I knew it. I appreciate the 12 oz. size as well. Grab this beer if you see it. Among the best stouts, no...beers, I have ever had.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle thanks to the trade master, Dak. Pours a deep black with small dark brown head in my Hunapuh glass. Aroma is big bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, bitter coffee, and big time peppers. Much more pepper presence than Hunapuh here. Smells rich and creamy until the pepper bite comes through. Silky mouthfeel with lowish carbonation. Super huge chocolate here with a perfect bite from the pepper that blends seamlessly with the earthy coffee. Decedent for sure. Not sure where the vanilla comes into the flavor but it doesn't matter. It is good anyway. No trace of the huge ABV on this one. A great dessert tonight after my steak.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Says its aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and chili peppers...Awesome, each one of these flavors is evident and perfectly balanced with the others. Nothing too overpowering, and nothing dominates. It all blends together magnificently!

Eye: This one is perfect and again, I can't ask for more. Thick black body with a one finger head that sticks around-color of the head is mud brown and is creamy. It looks very very inviting. Lacing is thick and beautiful.

Nose: Awesome is the first word I can find. Imperial stout, chocolate, coffee, faint chili peppers and vanilla as well. This one has everything the label states and they are not at all hard to find. None of them stick out above the other, rather they are all blended in here real nice and knowing what I'm looking for, they are easy to find.

Tongue: Just amazing. Upon the finish a little heat/spice from the peppers is noticeable. Vanilla is there to to give it depth in the finish. Aftertaste is amazing. Coffee and chocolate are evident, slight warmth from alcohol...or is it the heat from the peppers? Either way all these flavors work extremely well together in this beer. They all add huge depths of flavor to this Imperial Stout. This beer is an abyss of complexity and flavor. Real wow factor here. Just an amazing beer. I really wish I had and could get more of this...right now! Body is full and carbonation is low and according to style. I just can't believe how well everything blends together in this beer to create a very impressive and unique beer. I've not had anything like this before each flavor is here supporting the others and they all play so well off each other.

Drinkability: Seek this beer out! It is a must try! One of the best beers I've had, ever! I wish its availability were much better than it currently is but if you find this try it! A wow factor beer for me! They really, really, in every aspect don't get better. Top of the charts here.

I mean compared to every single imperial stout I've ever had, they are all child"s play compared to this one. Seriously.

Bomb! from Prairie Artisan Ales