BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 825 | Ratings: 5,547
4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a single bottle from Brockport Beverage, Winter 2015/16. Poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temp.

Look: Black, thin cinnamon head which completely disappears

Smell: complex but I get coffee and chocolate

Taste: coffee, chocolate, some peppery heat

Feel: solid and slippery

Overall: pretty good

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black as night, holds a thin ring of dark tan head.

Aroma: Malt extract, burnt grain, hint of a citric hop.

Taste: Heavy toffee notes, burnt sugar sweetness, bit of molasses, a dose of dusty earthy notes in the finish try to explain why it doesn't all go cloyingly sweet. Bitters are coming from a coffee note as well.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, chewy, heavy body with low carbonation. Dry finish has a little alcoholic heat.

Overall: Big impact! Malt monster goes down like a old fashioned hard toffee candy. A little smoky burnt coffee gives it some depth and character. Hops are very background, but doing some heavy lifting to keep this enjoyable. I get the big numbers, I can't throw any serious stones at them. This is clean, big, bold, and tasty. It's pricey too, so I won't be getting a lot of them, but will probably reach for another.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Is this really 13 percent. So unbelievable smooth. Easiest drinking 13 percent beer I have had. Smells if chocolate and vanilla. This is my first bomb beer and can't wait to try the other variant. There was just the right amount of heat from the peppers. Well worth the hype. Too bad I missed out on the bourbon barrel version. I won't miss out on pirate bombing coming soon.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black from a 12z bottle, looks like it's marked 4/15 so it's about a year old. Looks perfect, with no head. When I stop pouring it attempts to form some suds but gives up the ghost after barely getting a thin layer. No lacing.

Smells like cocoa -- instant chocolate , no coffee, no malt.

Taste is of bitter baker's chocolate, and dark fruit in there quite distinct, along with tart of the fruit. It's very nicely balanced, and malt gives it a caramel body, but doesn't go too bready. Very sippable, almost like a porter rather than an imperial. No push-back at all. Yes, it's resiny and heavy and boozy at the finish but otherwise the alcohol is hidden extremely well. Hard to believe this is 13%.

I'm not getting any of the ancho chili peppers. Maybe it needs to warm... the caramel malt becomes more evident and burnt coffee is a little more obvious as it opens up. Body is getting more complex the longer I swirl and sip --there's the ever so slightest hint of the chili peppers now but I'm looking for it -- the pepper thing is a non-starter, at least for this bottle, oh well.

I have another bottle to age to see if the pepper flavor might come out more -- at $10 a 12oz I'm not sure how many of these I'll be grabbing to experiment further...

Nevertheless, a fine imperial stout that's chocolate forward, and easily drinkable.

4.04/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance- Black and thick....not much head

Smell - I smell a lot chocolate, not a whole lot of coffee smell. Something else, maybe vanilla?

Taste - Again, a lot of chocolate. Not that that is a bad thing but I was expecting more coffee. A little disappointed in that I didn't really taste the the chili peppers. I was waiting for a little burn at the end but did not get it.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, hides the alcohol very well for a 13% beer. Low carbonation

Overall - It was not what I really expected. I loved xocoveza and was hoping this would be similar. But the chocolate flavor took over a little too much. The chocolate flavor was great and It did a great job of hiding the alcohol but I was hoping the coffee and chili would have more of a presence. It's also a little pricey at $10 for a 12oz bottle. I have a second bottle that I'll age a little and try again.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass bottle into a tulip glass. Looks almost pitch pitch black, no surprises here. Smell is very strong of chocolate and malts. Taste is similar, instant chocolate followed by malt and a faint vanilla and coffee. Blends together well and is surprisingly smooth for 13%. Carbonation is moderate compared to other imperial stouts.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks black with almost nothing of a head. Smell of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Tasted mostly chocolate with light coffee. I did not taste the peppers, like many who have. It felt like a soda that was shaken until all the carbonation was gone, very flat. It wasn't bad, just different. The 13% was well hidden. I bought it for 7.99, so I can't complain about the price.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in an over-sized wine glass straight from the tap.

Appearance: Thick motor oil black with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head is a nice natural dark tan color rising lightly to maybe to half a finger's length. Drops to nada after a sip with sticky lacing.

Smell: Light mocha and coffee, you smell a cold caramel...Hovers the nostrils but not the most sticking scent.

Taste: Cimplex coffee, hints of nutmeg and chocolate...the chocolate overpowers most of the taste but that isn't a bad thing. Trust me not a taste you forget.

Overall: You see it, buy it. Picked it up on draft at Tap and Barrel here in Smithtown, NY...priceless. Grab a glass and thank me later. Salud!...PS. picked up my second serving of this brew here at MGM in Minnesota and the brew delivered better the second time around. Quick reminder of what's good for you.

3.85/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours near black, dark cola brown with a thin, light tan colored head. Sub-par retention, quickly breaking down to an island of suds in the center of the glass. Lacing consists of a few small spots found randomly around the glass.

Smell - Sweet, with vanilla and cream being the abundant aroma. Fair sour funk and booze. Lesser milk chocolate and a hint of coffee and spice.

Taste - Follows the nose. Sweet vanilla with some odd, slightly sour funk. Good amount of Cream. Faint coffee notes buried beneath the sweetness. Back end hits on cheap easter milk chocolate and a touch of heat from the chili peppers.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied with low, creamy carbonation. Very smooth, and for 13% it drinks like a dream. Easily the highlight of this brew.

Overall - This is good, but it isn't doing much for me. The depth simply isn't there, as the sweetness prevails while lacking any kind of significant roast or bittering balance. At $10 per 12oz bottle it's a steep price to pay, and I'll rest easy knowing I'll never have the urge to buy it again.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black syrupy. Creamy beige head. Old Gregg would approve! Nose. Cocoa and vanilla with maltiness. Mouth feel. Full body. Taste. At first, more vanilla and cocoa, second and third sips, taste of chili peppers, just enough. Aftertaste. Very well rounded. Sweet but not too sweet. Overall. Beautiful strong imperial stout. If there was one beer to take on a deserted island, this might be the one. I'd forget about being stranded alone. Perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and strong. Will buy again very soon. Thankful that it's plentiful here in the OKC.

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange wax #5. Poured into a snifter.

Looks like a dark brown chocolatey glass of amazingness.

Smells like chocolate, cocoa, and a touch of chilies. Love the hint of pepper that comes across.

Tastes like an amazing stout with a touch of heat. Perfect amount of heat as other beers have gone overboard.

This beer will fill you up and leave your tongue feeling the touch of heat. Makes y in want more.

Overall worth the hype. Love that I got a wax version. One of my favorite Stouts, but definitely my favorite chili pepper fused stout.

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a goblet. dating smudged, but appears to be bottled 8/15.

pours black with a small tan head that dissipates into a ring.

great aromas from this one. chocolate, coffee, slight vanilla. faint hint of booze.

all the aromas come through in the taste, except the alcohol. instead, the faint burn of the chili at the back of the throat and sides of the tongue. really rolls around the tongue beautifully. alcohol is hidden.

mouth is just between medium and full.

overall, this is a really fine beer, a nice sipper over an hour or so.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours an inky black with only a wispy tan covering. Aroma is deep and dark...equal parts cocoa nibs and coffee beans with a soft vanilla sweetness and waft of dried chilies. Dark chocolate cake and a cup of sweetened coffee in the mouth. Booze is remarkably absent in the nose and flavor, just a little warmth in the throat that works with the subtle spice. Silky, moderately full body - again, easy enough to drink that you'd have no idea this was such a big beer. I generally have a hard time with massive, under-attenuated, sticky-sweet beers and this thankfully isn't one of them. Absolutely worth the cost of a bottle every once in a while as a treat. Fantastic!

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to my good friend Jon Passow who sent me this beer from california last summer. I've been aging it in my cellar until right now. A bottle of the 2015 vintage. Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into one of my tulip glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a very tan/light brown head that's about 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured. Settles to a fairly thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a large patch of a film layer of surface foam on the beer's surface. Aromas of cocoa, coffee, vanilla and chili peppers are all quite strong indeed. I could smell these aroma very clearly when the glass was about 2 feet away from my nose. This may be the strongest aroma in some respects that I've ever experienced with a beer before. Flavors of roasted malts along with chocolate and vanilla notes that give way to some black coffee bitterness followed by a bit of a bite from the chili peppers that is all rounded out with a bit of an earthy hop bitterness. An absolutely fantastic flavor profile here indeed! Everything is perfectly balanced and all the flavors compliment each other so nicely. Delicious! Has a fairly crisp, yet smooth and somewhat creamy, just slightly tingly, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. The flavors really linger on the palate nicely for a few minutes after each sip. Has a clean, dry finish. Extremely easy to drink, especially with the 13% ABV this beer has. I had to check myself a few times to insure I properly savored this beer and didn't gulp it down, its that good. This is one beer that you truly with your glass of was never ending. I really hope I get the chance to have this one again because this is an absolutely amazing beer!

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a Teku. 2015 vintage.

Pours an ink black with little to no head. No signs of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Strong coffee and chocolate aroma.

Taste of vanilla, coffee, with a mild chili pepper burn on the back end.

Mildly carbonated and a bit thin.

Good 13% stout at a $7.99 price tag. Glad this one is relatively available, but don't plan on drinking more than one in a setting.

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours black with a one finger tan head. Good amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is chocolate, vanilla, and hot peppers.

T - The taste is dark chocolate, vanilla, and coffee with a light amount of heat from the chilli peppers.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Very soft and creamy mouthfeel.

O - Absolutely outstanding Stout. The depth of flavor is awesome. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow. Super balanced. Not a big nose, but tons of flavors. Sweet and spicy, roasty and full bodied. Not as spicy as I feared, thankfully. The fact that there's so many different flavors in there makes it harder for any to overpower the others and be too upfront. Definitely a beer that lived up to the hype.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this from the bottle in a goblet style snifter.

The color is opaque black with small head with ring of beads and legs on the glass. The smell is great lots of cocoa drenched odors with mild coffee and vanilla with a slight sweet odor and light smell of peppery with earthy quality and gentle alcohol aroma. The feel is superb with a lovely mix of smooth cocoa and medium carbonation level with nutty roast and semi-spiced quality with a mostly dry texture mid palate with mild warmth of alcohol and chili in the finish.

This is a great stout with very nice blend of spice -cocoa, mild vanilla and a coffee/cocoa flavor mid taste with mild earthy chili flavor that adds to the complexity with a mild toast in the finish with semi-dry quality with slight alcohol the chili taste is just enough with a mostly cocoa dominant flavor in the finish with very subtle alcohol. This is a wonderful stout so deliciously blended with all the adjunct flavors represented so well in the taste w/ an excellent base stout that hides the alcohol well

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really good. Like really good. I mean - this beer might be the answer to all our prayers to establish a one almighty beer. It may not be the best of all time, but if you run across you u beat not let it pass you by.

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours opaque, black in color, with 1/4 inch head. Smell is coffee roast. Taste is coffee roast, cream, and charred malt. Amazing depth of coffee flavors. Super tasty beer that I will be getting again. One of the better coffee forward beers I have had.

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz into a snifter. Pours black with little head. Smell is dominated by chocolate and vanilla. Taste is similar with some chili pepper in the back end. Coffee congress out add it warms. Not a lot of heat for 13% Medium bodied with low carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours inky black, light brown head with strong lacing. Dark malt, chocolate, vanilla(a lot) bouquet. Smooth, malty, nice coffee, vanilla, cocoa flavor with just the barest heat as the endnote. Mouthfeel is medium, minimal effervescence and a tad syrupy. Strong alcohol notes, but overall quite pleasant.
An enjoyable beer, a bit cloying, and may be better classified as a desert beer or after dinner cordial. Tasty, but I could barely finish one, much less drink more than one. Good but not quaffable.

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Was very excited to try a couple of these babies, will be sharing the other bottle with a friend soon

APPEARANCE (4.25) - Pours very dark, but thin, with a light brown head that fades to a ring and does leave a few patches of lacing along the glass as you drink. Not super impressive to start off, but coffee does tend to screw with head retention (I don't know how the boys in Quebec do it with Peche Mortel).

SMELL (4.25) - I pick up sugary, chocolate malt, a LOT of sugar, reminding me of Even More Jesus, and a slight vegetal note from the peppers. Probably vanilla mixed in with the sugar, but it's hard to tell. Trending toward too sweet.

TASTE (4.5) - The first thing I pick up is a sort of caramel-covered figgy syrupy sweetness, which fades into a coffee-chocolate note, and then vanilla, and finally a combination of alcohol and chili burn. The peppers don't influence the taste at all and only come up after the swallow, with a slow rising intensity that never gets far past a mild heat. Good, very good even, but verging on being cloyingly sweet here.

FEEL (4.0) - Creamy, but thin, never rising past medium bodied. I've had saisons, IPAs, and maibocks with this sort of heft before. Still, pleasing, with low carbonation, the only prickliness coming from the alcohol or the peppers.

OVERALL (4.25) - Absolutely a great stout that I would certainly buy more of off and on if I had regular access to it at a local shop, but nothing I'm going to chase out of state in the future. I would be remiss if I forgot to mention the 13% abv is extremely, extremely tame. This makes BOMB! the strongest beer I've ever drank (being an Ohioan, we cap at 12% locally), and I'd always been leery that anything stronger might just be a gnarly, prickly, hot alcohol bomb, but, ironically, BOMB! is smooth, with little to no burn from the alcohol itself. A very good beer that I'm glad I tried, I really love Prairie and the spirit of a lot that they do, this one to me, just doesn't really live up to the hype. Not a 99/100 beer to my palate.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I bought six of these a few days ago and I am glad I did. This is a truly outstanding Imperial Stout.

(L) Very dark, opaque, with a thin brown head.

(A) Nice chocolate and coffee aroma.

(T) The taste was dark chocolate, coffee, some vanilla and a tad of subtle chili pepper, a very nice blend of taste, and not a hint of alcohol despite the 13.00%.

(F) Creamy and quite drinkable. Top notch!

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Seriously good right here.

Pours black, with hints of ruby around the edge. Head stuck around for longer than I expected for 13%

Aroma was mainly sweet vanilla and chocolate and some milky coffee, but very pungent and filled the room with the aroma.

Taste wise: Perfect balance between all the ingredients. Smooth, sweet, chocolatey, spicy, grassy coffee. Tons of body to go with it, and a nice silky smooth carbonation.

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales