BOMB! | Prairie Artisan Ales

Prairie Artisan Ales
Oklahoma, United States
prairieales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by MinorThreat on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 904 | Ratings: 5,830
4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle, no wax on this.

Pours black, effervescent carbonation begins its work whipping up a frothy dense cap about 1" thick; reminds me of a soy latte poured into a pint glass. Smell is mild coffee, slight pepper, anise, and the darkest chocolate one can find in the store, I'm talking 90%+ cacao. Taste is coffee and chocolate, with a warming pepper burn at the back; the black roast lends a tannic quality that balances what sweetness would be expected from a 14% stout. Man, that pepper burn is sticking- I don't think it is alcohol, this is a lingering, smoldering salsa type burn. The dark chocolate is truly prominent in the flavor profile on this. Mouthfeel is thick without being cloying, the carbonation is fine and works to make this beast more quaffable. I approve of this beer.

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a footed glass at the Mikkeller bar in SF. From notes. Reviewed 10 August 2013.

A: Black as night. Opaque. Light head.

S: Rich, rich, rich. Vanilla. Cacao. Lots of vanilla.

T: Creamy and delicious. Unbridled stout joy. I feel warm already. Sweet. Chocolate. Vanilla-chocolate adult candy.

M: Rich beyond measure. Smooth silken splendor.

O: Great beer. Too rich and strong for pre-noon drinking, but heavily recommended.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I decided to have a little fun with this one as I tried it side by side with KBS. While both are quite different, I wanted to see how these 2 powerhouse breakfast stouts stacked up to one another.

A- Extremely dark brown with the faintest bit of lighter accents appearing from the trace of light coming through. A wisp of a caramel colored head that leaves a ring around the glass the whole drink. Wonderful lacing for the abv.

S- Coffee beans galore and a significant dose of vanilla as well, but what really stands out to me is the peppers that take over the nose. It gives a chili pepper note that I am not accustomed to in the normal stout aroma. But rather than being distracting, it is quite inviting.

T- Oh my! A unique combination of sweet chocolate, vanilla beans, roasted coffee, damp wood, caramel and chili peppers. Complex, smooth, roasted, spicy, yet balanced. Unlike any breakfast stout i have ever tried. Simply magnificent! Waves of layers.

M- Creamy, full flavored, but the lightness of this beer makes it so much more drinkable than you would expect for the style and abv. Just a touch of warmth (probably more from the peppers), but virtually no detection of alcohol booze. Delicate, yet wonderful carbonation. Flows over the tongue like a sheet of velvet.

O- This is certainly a "Wow" beer in my book. It made me sit up in my seat and do a double take. One of those beers that makes you say "holy crap!...did I just taste what I thought I tasted? (gulp) Yeah, I most certainly did." Seems to fit my palate perfectly with the spice, bakers chocolate, roasted vanilla and coffee beans. Sad that I only bought 2. I will age the other bottle as long as i can, but it will inevitably be shorter than I would like. As I compare side by side, I will say different, but better than KBS. To each his/her own though.

$7 for 12 oz bottle

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz. gold wax dipped bottle poured into Cigar City snifter. No bottling info that I can find.

A - Pours coal black with a full finger of mocha head. The frothy head lasts for a while and leaves a spotty lacing upon its retreat.

S - Smells like Hershey's chocolate world. Rich, sweet, creamy chocolate with a big dose of vanilla. Just the lightest bit of cayenne along with a some toasted malts. One fo the best smelling beers I have ever come across, hands down. Amazing.

T - Big chocolate notes to start, although I would classify it closer to dark chocolate than the milk chocolate I got in the nose. Sweetens considerably as it warms and the vanilla starts to shine through. A touch of heat on the finish, but I'm not sure if its due to the chili peppers or the 14% ABV. Complex and intensely flavored. Delicious.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Smooth with just a bit of lingering heat.

O - I was stoked when I saw this on the shelf at my favorite neighborhood beer store. I had never seen it before and jumped at the chance to try it. I am so glad I did. I very rarely give otu a 5 in a category, but it is hard for me to imagine a finer smelling beer. The flavor does not disappoint with a powerful blend of chocolate and vanilla bean with mild pepper heat. It's hard for me to believe this beer is 14% because it was gone before I knew it. I appreciate the 12 oz. size as well. Grab this beer if you see it. Among the best stouts, no...beers, I have ever had.

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle thanks to the trade master, Dak. Pours a deep black with small dark brown head in my Hunapuh glass. Aroma is big bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, bitter coffee, and big time peppers. Much more pepper presence than Hunapuh here. Smells rich and creamy until the pepper bite comes through. Silky mouthfeel with lowish carbonation. Super huge chocolate here with a perfect bite from the pepper that blends seamlessly with the earthy coffee. Decedent for sure. Not sure where the vanilla comes into the flavor but it doesn't matter. It is good anyway. No trace of the huge ABV on this one. A great dessert tonight after my steak.

Says its aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and chili peppers...Awesome, each one of these flavors is evident and perfectly balanced with the others. Nothing too overpowering, and nothing dominates. It all blends together magnificently!

Eye: This one is perfect and again, I can't ask for more. Thick black body with a one finger head that sticks around-color of the head is mud brown and is creamy. It looks very very inviting. Lacing is thick and beautiful.

Nose: Awesome is the first word I can find. Imperial stout, chocolate, coffee, faint chili peppers and vanilla as well. This one has everything the label states and they are not at all hard to find. None of them stick out above the other, rather they are all blended in here real nice and knowing what I'm looking for, they are easy to find.

Tongue: Just amazing. Upon the finish a little heat/spice from the peppers is noticeable. Vanilla is there to to give it depth in the finish. Aftertaste is amazing. Coffee and chocolate are evident, slight warmth from alcohol...or is it the heat from the peppers? Either way all these flavors work extremely well together in this beer. They all add huge depths of flavor to this Imperial Stout. This beer is an abyss of complexity and flavor. Real wow factor here. Just an amazing beer. I really wish I had and could get more of this...right now! Body is full and carbonation is low and according to style. I just can't believe how well everything blends together in this beer to create a very impressive and unique beer. I've not had anything like this before each flavor is here supporting the others and they all play so well off each other.

Drinkability: Seek this beer out! It is a must try! One of the best beers I've had, ever! I wish its availability were much better than it currently is but if you find this try it! A wow factor beer for me! They really, really, in every aspect don't get better. Top of the charts here.

I mean compared to every single imperial stout I've ever had, they are all child"s play compared to this one. Seriously.

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce, gold waxed bottle received in a trade courtesy of turfy. Shared with greenplastic615 and poured into a snifter glass.

A: Thick motor oil-like pour into the glass. Caramel/tan colored head sits atop, less than one finger in height. Lots of thick patchy lacing and the retention cap stays around for the whole consumption.

S: At first this beer was too cold but once it warmed it really opened up. Plenty of roasted coffee beans, sweet vanilla, chocolate and just a faint notion of chili flesh towards the back.

T: Loads of coffee and chocolate up front. The chili started to become more pronounced as this warmed and left some minor tingling down the throat. Vanilla notes dance on the back of the palate with some roasted malts.

M: Hands down, and without question, the best mouth feel I've ever felt on an Imperial Stout. It's so thick and smooth, it almost feels like a milkshake. Amazing stuff.

This beer not only lived up to its hype and expectations but exceeded it in some areas for me. This drinks nothing like 14% ABV. Dangerously drinkable and amazingly delicious. I'm seeking out more right now.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received a gigantic box of Prairie last week, but I’ve been too busy with my serious drinking to bother with thoughtful drinking and so I haven’t had a chance to write about it. But now my work is done and I don’t got to be no where for 15 hours, so let’s open up one of these bastards.

Bomb is the most coveted Prairie, and so I’ll go with that first. It’s part of this new trend wherein high-ABV imperials are aged on peppers and chocolate, because chocolate covered peppers are just everyone’s favorite treat. It smells…like chocolate and peppers. But also crisp and manicured, like the fragrance of one of those brightly lit mall stores where they overpriced kitchen equipment. It’s clean, but a very specific, very dirty sort of clean.

Tastes like a new, perfect thing. I’ve had high-ABV chipotle stouts before, but this… this is different. The peppers dominate and are mellowed by the chocolate. So instead of getting a coffe-based RIS or a hoppy RIS or a vinous RIS, you get acidic, spicy peppers up front and smooth milky chocolate in the back. The former plays alongside the ethanol nodes, the latter buffets the barley. Also—what I realize after sipping it is that the cleanliness I detected in the aroma was the sharpness of the peppers interacting with the zippiness of the booze, which resulting in a dull-sharp peng of pleasant sterility akin to the rubbing alcohol swab doctors use before making injections.

Fucked up and damn near perfect.

Full review: http://mynie.com/?p=688

3.99/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

07/06/2013

Bottle into a snifter.

A: Black, very black, with a formidable dark brown head and awesome retention. Lots of lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Lots of chocolate and vanilla bean with light coffee notes. Chili pepper is well integrated, accompanying roasted grains and a little brown sugar. Vanilla stands out most. Could do with a stronger coffee influence.

T: Big vanilla notes blending with spicy chili pepper and dark chocolate. Subdued coffee (I wish this was stronger). Some astringency is evident. Molasses and a robust roasted malt body. Light chili pepper heat in the vanilla cocoa finish.

M: Full body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is chewy, sticky, and thick.

Overall: An enjoyable beer. Could do with a stronger coffee presence but still quite nice. I look forward to trying more offerings from this brewery.

4.66/5  rDev +4%

A- Very dark with a lacey brown/ almost redish head.

S- Hints of chocolate, heavy coffee, vanilla, and hits of ancho chilie.

T- When I swirl it around in my mouth, it drops Bombs of chocolate and coffee. The
hints of vanilla and chilies balance out this stout.

M- The most notable aspect, is that it is very light for an imperial stout. I really
enjoyed the lightness in contrast to the really heavy stouts that have to be chewed
through.

O- This beer can be enjoyed over and over with something new almost every time. For
me, this stout changes what I have come to expect from stouts. The slight chilie on
the end seems to say "I know you will be back". The perfect amount that leaves you
wondering how it got past you, to only say goodbye.

4.41/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours dark, fairly thick,two finger coffee colored head that dissipates slowly.

S: Coffee and chocolate primarily. Very strong aroma. A hint of vanilla and perhaps pepper or chili?

T: Coffee and chocolate. Starts slightly sweet and then turns warm. Not so much from the alcohol but from the peppers.

M: Very smooth. Despite its dark stout look I think the mouthfeel is lighter. This is not a heavy beer.

O: Excellent. I have to be in the mood for stouts but I can see myself drink this at any opportunity.

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%

I was very pleased to see distribution of this in Indiana, albeit extremely limited. $8.99 per bottle.

Prairie Bomb pours a midnight black in color with maybe a quarter inch of dark mocha lacing. The pour was a little light in body for an imperial stout, especially for a beer of 14%. The nose features a healthy dose of cocoa, coffee, and vanilla yet they all team together to provide a soft and delicate dessert of a nose. The pepper is subtle. The flavors are smooth and chocolaty with a nice level of vanilla. The coffee is present but takes a backseat. The pepper is present more in the aftertaste than anywhere else and it does have the ability to linger for a few minutes, which is welcome. It's a nice amount of pepper. There could be more but it does possess more spice than most. It drinks light for the style and really doesn't give any indication of being 14%. This is an impressive beer, especially for the price. I'd compare it to a lighter version of Hunahpu, but with coffee.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz gold waxed bottle into a snifter. Thanks egrace84!

Typical stout, black with 1 finger cola head some blotches.

Lots going on in the aroma. Huge coffee, then peppers, vanilla, chocolate

Chocolate and coffee, vanilla and peppers with slight heat that follows.

I little thin at 14% but a very good stout! You pick up on all the favors and they work together very well.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: dark, cannot see through. A minimal amount of head and almost no lacing.

S: Excellent, all the notes described on the bottle have their shine. But mainly a chocolate note with a hint of vanilla.

T: Awesome, the chills are very prominent but subdued by the chocolate and vanilla. Spiciness first followed by the cocoa and vanilla. Very well balanced as all notes participate. I do detect a little of the 14% alcohol.

M: Sticky somewhat. Little carbonation and a whole lot of flavor.

O: An superb brew that if you like the more malty dark spectrum of beers I will encourage you to try. All notes are balanced and the beer is heavy but not like cutting butter. At 14% and no detection this is a desert beer. An excellent choice that I encourage you to buy.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz. bottle poured in to my FW Barrelworks Teku, this was an extra in a trade with OUJayhawk1799 - huge thanks Andrew!

A - Pours a dark chocolate, not too thick, nice two finger coffee head and nice lacing throughout as I drink the beer. Great looking stout.

S - Amazing, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, chili, it is all there. Each note struggles to jump out and with such strong notes, the balance of the nose is incredible. Nothing to fault here.

T - Chocolate and Vanilla flavored coffee, with a hint of chili on the tongue. A nice sweetness up front but not even close to cloying. The flavors all meld well, not going to get much better than this.

M - Smooth, not too viscous - perhaps a bit too thin for a big stout like this but not going to take too many points off for that.

O - What a wonderful beer. I had thought that Mexican Cake was about as good as it could get with a non-BA stout for me, but this beer has it all. The flavors are blended with skill, it is not boozy for the ABV, and the heat is toned down here, the chili is there just to tie everything else in. Superb.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour from bottle into Teku.

Aromas of marsh mellow, coffee and mole. Flavor is awesome, tons of chocolate with coffee and some ancho in the end. Mouth feel of this beer is perfect for a 14% stout, so creamy and you would never know it's that high in ABV. Home run here.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A thin layer of dark, nut-brown and bubbly froth lies gently atop this black as black beauty.

Big coffee to the nose; and not the cutesy kind with the caramel and whip cream BS, but a real man's coffee out of a tin cup by a campfire after you've been on the trail for days. Some roasted nuts are smelled along with a dose of milk chocolate, faint vanilla, burnt oak and earthy hops. Straight forward, right on, and no messing around.

Tastes of creamy milk chocolate up front with a wallop of smoldering oak followed by an expected, but no less welcome fusel alcohol. Some black licorice and singed sugar notes are laced with some peppery heat at the very back. This one is Kicking the Pricks on all fronts so far.

Goes down close to heavy and viscous as 'literal' fuck. The heat is on without a doubt, but it's finessed so well by the other dancers at this party that you barely notice.

Prairie Bomb is a hot, in-yer-face mess that you can't let go of no matter how wild she gets.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a relatively dark brown head. Little to no lacing. Not much in the way of head retention but it's easy to kick up more foam. The aroma is big on vanilla, chocolate and coffee. More of the chili comes out as the beer warms. Fairly sweet aroma but nothing comes across artificially. The taste starts out with a bunch of vanilla and chocolate. Coffee and roast come right behind. Rather sweet but there's enough flavor bouncing around that it doesn't dominate. Mild but noticeable chili burn in the finish. It adds a welcome layer of complexity to the beer. Things would probably get a bit too sweet without that little burn. Nice thick mouthfeel. Very smooth and full. This is an excellent imperial stout. There's lots of flavor and it all plays well together. Great work from Prairie.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%

From bottle into my KBS glass. This is everything I wanted/expected Huna to be, but Bomb! actually met and exceeded expectations. Started this a little cold from my IPA fridge (42F) to see how it changed.

A- oil-dark with trace of caramel head. I gave an aggressive poor, but still less than a pinky finger. Foam color is gorgeous though.

S- similar to KBS. Lots a coffee and burnt sugar, with some dark chocolate.

T- light chili spice right away, but no burn. Then the coffee/chocolate takes over. As it warms, you feel more of the spice in the back of your mouth and the roasted/smokey notes come out. I love the chili in this.

M- lightest carb at first, but fades quickly to fairly typical barrel aged stout. Not sure I was floored by the mouthfeel.

O- add this to my Always Want list. It really is top notch. I was disappointed in the 2013 Hunahpu's that I had, because it lacked any measurable heat or spice flavor to my palate. Prairie Bomb does not suffer the same problem. This had high expectations based upon the buzz and reviews, and it surpassed all hope.

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle gold waxed bottle served in a Prairie Artisan Ales snifter. Big thanks to beerboy9960 for sending a few of these gems my way.

A: Pours dark black color with a thick dark tan head forming on the pour. it recedes to a thick collar and thin film that leaves a sticky webbing of lace down the glass.

S: Wow. Absolutely delicious. Lots of sweet cinnamon, milk chocolate and fresh ground coffee beans. Sweet vanilla as well with some very light pepper on the back end. Mild roasted malts throughout, but the adjuncts really make up the bulk of the nose.

T: Unfortunately, the taste doesn't quite live up to the deliciousness of the nose, but it's still very good. The vanilla is slightly artificial, but the coffee and cocoa nibs mask it mostly. The peppery qualities come through a lot more in the taste with some fleshy heat. Roasted malts with some light bitter bakers chocolate. The booze is non-existent on this guy. Extremely well hidden.

M: Heavier mouthfeel with a thick and chewy texture. The carbonation is medium with a sweet, roasted and slightly spicy finish.

O: Outstanding work from Prairie. This is the real deal and I'm so glad I've got a three left from the trade. The booze is extremely well hidden and the mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Will have again soon.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Appearance - Inky black. Not much of a head. No bubbles. Slightly transparent at the edges.

Smell - Lots of chocolate. Some cinnamon. Coffee is secondary, or tertiaty I guess. Peppers on the back end.

Taste - Very chocolatey. Coffee is more prominent, but blends into the chocolate. The pepper flavor peaks out at the beginning but builds up throughout. A bit of spiciness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Really doesn't taste like 14%. Medium heavy body. Prett chewy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Impressive. Great flavors and enough of a stout to stand up to them. Bourbon barrel please? Yumm.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to Freddy from the Biergarten in Jenks for holding one back for me!

Pours an effervescent pitch black with a fast falling mocha colored head. Nice viscious look, near zero head retention & lacing

S: Rich coffee & dark chocolate, caramel & vanilla

T: Follows the, vanilla, caramel & a general hint of creme brule' going on here along with dryness, just a little chille bite too. More pepper heat as this warms, coffee, mocha & oaky notes, strong caramel. Finishes with oaky dryness, chille heat, coffee & cocoa

MF: Medium bodied, fairly silky, thickens up over time

This is incredibily smooth & drinkable for such a complex beer. Deft use of chillles really sets this apart from the crowd. Easily my favorite big beer from Prairie, so far... Wanted to wring the bottle out to get every drop. I would love to see a barrel aged version of this, but pretty awesome in its own right

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

First of 6 bottles purchased. Poured into a St. Bernardus Waton glass.

Appearance: Pitch black motor oil with a thin mocha head that dosnt stay for long (unsurprisingly at 14% abv).

Smell: Man this smells incredible. Roasted coffee, vanilla, hints of chocolate, and a little twinge of spice.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and vanilla upfront. The chocolate comes in strong in the middle and the spice from the chili peppers dosnt make its appearance until the very back of the tongue on the swallow. You actually get the feeling in your throat as if you just ate a jalepeno.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Perfect for this style and perfect for the flavor profile. The spicy, tingly feeling in the throat is also extremely enjoyable (i love spicy).

Overall: There is quite a bit of hype surrounding this beer even though it was released for the first time so recently and is already out in most places. And every bit of that hype is warrented. One of my absolute favorites to date (thank God I have 5 more!)

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is amazing!!

It has a nice coffee/chocolate smell.. The flavor of the coffee/chocolate flows all the way through the beer down to the last sip. The vanilla and chile are slight at the end to give it a rounded finish. Ageing this beer will just melt everything together and develop a rich full flavor that I can hardly wait to taste...

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance- love the artwork on all their bottles. The beer itself is dark chocolate/black coffee colored.

Smell- smells like old coffee. Definitely not its best feature. Sometimes old coffee smells good though, ya know?

Taste- tastes exactly as advertised. Big coffee flavor, lots of chocolate, delightful chili on the tip of my tongue and again on the back end, smooth vanilla flavor

Mouthfeel- extremely smooth. perfect combination of carbonation and vanilla

Overall- obviously not a regular in the rotation but a wonderful treat for special occasions (Tuesdays when you're bored)

Chukar cherries in Washington state makes Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cherries that are stupid good. This beer is those cherries crossed with a Vanilla Coke.(except all artisanal or whatever)

BOMB! from Prairie Artisan Ales