Picnic Sour Ale

From:
Brekeriet

Sweden
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Picnic Sour AlePicnic Sour Ale
Notes: Part of the Specials series.

A very special low alcohol beer with a nice and fruity rhubarb flavour. The fermentation with Lactobacillus bacteria adds a crisp and refreshing taste.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8
3.78/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled March 2017, bought at Liquor Shed.

Pours a straw yellow, mostly clear, big initial head of foam that I thought would last but it does shrink to a fine layer. Decent lacing.

Been a long time since my last encounter with Rhubarb so..I'm guessing that's what I smell. Notes of lemon and wheat there also. The bugs impart a definite sour presence.

Taste reflects my thoughts on the smell. Power packed with flavour for a brew at this ridiculously low abv. I'd call it refreshing except that the beer store I frequent leans too heavily on ordering sour beers and I am at the point of saying enough is enough No offense to the beer I'm reviewing here.

Light body, close to watery but doesn't stoop to that level. Carbonation is lively and there's a dryness factor going on.

Probably the lowest abv beer that I'll ever drink that isn't labeled NA.

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy pale orange with a large foamy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is lemon-lime, grass, and seaweed funk.

Soft light lemon and wheat, with the rhubarb being very faint for me.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The colour is pale orange, the liquid somewhat hazy. The low white head disappears immediately.

The smell is tart and fruity with distinct notes of rhubarb and cinnamon. Hints of minerals and shortbread.

The taste is very sour (malic acid) with growing notes of fresh rhubarb and passing hints of cinnamon and green apples. Very low sweetness, light body. The aftertaste got less rhubarb flavours and more acidic mineral flavours. The short finish is tart and clean.

The carbonation is strong; the many small bubbles are long-lived. The liquid is light and very harsh. In a good way…

A very sour beer with distinct rhubarb flavour. Lots and lots of flavours at just 2.2%. A beer for special occasions.

Picnic Sour Ale from Brekeriet