Yellow Rose | The Lone Pint Brewery

The Lone Pint Brewery
Texas, United States
lonepint.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Pioneer Yellow Rose until it was made year-round.

A SMaSH, Single Malt and Single Hop, IPA using a caboodle (technical term for a large amount of malt) of malt and a new hop released in 2012 called Mosaic (HBC 369). It is a daughter of Simcoe (YCR 14), one of our favorite hops. Whole cone Mosaic is used for bittering, flavoring, and aroma in the kettle; it is also massively dry hopped. The beer is named after a Texas Heroine.

Tasting notes: chalk-white head with a very clean malt backbone. The hops impart strong grapefruit, pineapple, and blueberry flavor and aroma. A strong beer that is extremely quaffable.

Added by champ103 on 04-30-2013

Reviews: 224 | Ratings: 1,641
4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fresh growler. Poured into a snifter glass 1/24/2015.

A- Hazy darker orange body, one finger white head with nice retention, thin-medium collar, nice lacing overall.

S- Clean caramel, grapefruit, oranges, tropical fruit. Not very much graininess in the nose. Smells quite juicy, but with a solid malt backbone.

F- Grainy sweet caramel and toffee from the pale malt, tropical fruits, grapefruit, citrus. Much more of a balanced IPA than it smells like. The sweet malt backbone complements the hop flavours well, making for a nice sweet juiciness that finishes off with a reasonably bitter pine kick. Very nice.

M- Medium bodied, nice carbonation, dry and resinous with a pine-citrus combination bitter kick at the end. Nice bitterness overall that punches at its weight.

O- Very nice IPA, very tasty and balanced. The mosaic brings its nice juiciness but with a nice balance from the bittering hops and the sweet pale malt. Would definitely drink again.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had both from a growler and out of the bottle. For what ever reason, this drinks significantly better from the growler. Pretty muted from the bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No need to go IPA whale hunting, there are great IPAs in your back yard (probably fresher, too). A near perfect example of what an IPA should be. Hazy, slightly amber, it has plenty of head and lace. Tropical fruit and pine resin in both the taste and aroma. Despite the big hop presence, it's plenty dry, with a clean, slightly bitter finish. Medium body and medium to low carbonation give it an appealing mouthfeel.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nearly perfect pale ale, one of the most drinkable IPA's I've come across. Very similar to Zombie Dust, not as sweet or full flavored but smoother. Look forward to trying again.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sticky thick soapy head and an orange body.

Blueberry, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Really great hop flavor.

Medium bitterness. Clean malt/yeast letting the Mosaic shine all over.

Phenomenal IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for the trade Brent!

750ml into a Lagunitas pint glass.

Moderate pour produces an enormous head, leaving a generous amount of lacing. Head.

Smells sweet, tropical fruit. Quite pungent. I like.

Taste is clean and crisp. Tropical fruit as well. Not extremely complex, as expected but very well balanced and extremely drinkable.

Perfect mouthfeel and carb for an IPA in my opinion

Overall, a really outstanding IPA and this would be a go to summer drinker if it was available in my parts. Not mind blowingly world class though but of those there are only a handful. Well done.

This SMSH is ridiculously balanced.

Sweet and floral nose off of a pale honey colored elixir that produced tight white bubbles that rapidly fall to a solid collar and a Laced cap.

Sweet pink grapefruit and deep pith with a floral bouquet of pine and ripe berries. The long finish is tart and bitter. So refreshing.

Very warming. Delicious. Perfect.

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Bone white head, great retention and sticky lacing. Body is a light golden.

S- Aromas of melons, cantaloupes.

T- Follows the aroma. Short burst of floral flavor. Very easy drinking, although bitter on the tail end.

M- Carbonation sweeps away leaving a clean palate. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- May be one for drinkers newer to the style. Highly enjoyable. Thanks kojevergas!

I first found this on tap in Houston and was very disappointed. It was just ok. Fast forward a few months and I found it elsewhere and tried it again. There it was! There was the amazing IPA I had read about. Don't know if the other had faded or what. But since then I've found it several other times and now can purchase bottles and it hasn't let me down again. Great IPA!

3.75/5  rDev -15%

Fortunately, this beer is readily available from my office in downtown Houston (Flying Saucer for those who are wondering). However, I've had very mixed reviews about it.

Last Friday (12/6/14): Amazing. The nose? Indescribable, fruity, unique, awesome. It was smooth going down and just an all-around great beer. Give me a 6-er and I'll love you forever. I would rate it a 4.75+, or 5! It was that good.

Today (12/12/14): I'm thinking maybe not too many people know about this watering hole... I felt like it was a stale keg and maybe even leftovers from the week before. The nose? I could still smell the fruitiness and hops from two feet away. But, unfortunately, the taste was flat out skunk. Not great at all. It was unfortunate as I settled for another local microbrew for my second serving (DIPA). Not sure what happened from last week to now but the consistency just wasn't there. Does this stuff lack the shelf life?

I hope to try it again with better results.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

I'm gonna have to give this brew a two thumbs up. Not only because it's a Texas brew, or an outstanding beer for a SMASH, but because of the smoothness and complexity of this brew. This honestly makes me change my mind about mosaic hops. Looks golden and clear as Pilsner malt should. The smell is of fruity, citrusy heaven. This beer taste makes you feel as if you were on an island drinking a juice from the gods. All the right hop tastes at all the right time. A great hop forward brew, but balanced in every way. I'm so glad this brewery is in the town of a few family members. Overall, this beer stands with the best IPAs out there. So completely impressed for a SMASH beer. Makes me somewhat jealous I haven't tried brewing this myself. Only reason it's not rated a five, is so I have room to work with when my own brews hit the shelf one day.

4.71/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got this one in on a trade from what I hope to be a more frequent trading partner. I had read some about this one but I had to try it for myself as I have been burning through the big boys lately.

Appearance: Very light straw color. Maybe attribute this to the pilsner malts they use. It has a bit of haziness to it and a fluffy white head that lingers just about the entire drinking process.

Nose: Resinous, floral hops, I have not had a single hop mosaic before as far as I know but i will definitely seek this style out again. Very dank and earthy on the nose. It has some fruitiness going on as well, maybe some pineapple and mango.

Taste: This is where I drop it just a bit. It is a nice IPA, but it is a bit assertive, which is fine. Its not a huge bruiser and is well balanced. But I would like just a bit more in the malts to round it out a bit. Otherwise this is a nice beer. Very nice resinous dank, hop forward beer. Its got a lot of pine or spruce going on there. Maybe its a grapefruit rind flavor. Anyway there is a bitterness there. Which I do like in my IPA's.

Overall: Solid beer, I will drink this again and thanks to my friend in TX to get me this one with such care! I might be after him again to get some more of this beer to share with other IPA loving friends around here!

4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light straw color with a frothy white head. Aromas of grapefruit and pineapple. Loaded with citrus and fruity hop flavors. Medium light body with effervescent carbonation. Overall, an outstanding ipa from Texas.

3.86/5  rDev -12.5%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and green unbranded pry-off cap bought in Austin, TX and served cold into a pilsner glass. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

Expectations are high; this is #125 in the Top 250 and #6 in the Southwest region. 6.8% ABV. OG: 1.063. FG: 1.012. 62 IBUs.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Two fingers wide. Off-white colour. Nice frothiness, thickness, and creaminess, with a good even soft-looking consistency. There's a sheen to the complexion. Retention is good - about 9 minutes. A light uneven layer of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Surprisingly hazy, and clearly unfiltered. It's a pale copper with orange hues. Vibrance is average. A bit of yeasty sediment is visible towards the bottom of the glass.

Appears aptly carbonated. It's a good looking unfiltered IPA, and seems more alive than most offerings in the style. But it's not a unique appearance.

AROMA: Blueberry, subtle pineapple, zesty citrus (especially on the back end), clean pale malt, clean fresh barley, and mild touches of mango and tangerine. I usually despise pineapple in beer (especially IPAs), but this is handled subtly enough (at least in the aroma), that it doesn't bother me. The blueberry note is an unexpected treat, and has me salivating. It's dank and resinous, with a fragrant and above all else pleasant aromatic expression.

Mild in strength overall. No yeast, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE: Blueberry is there, but gets tangled up in a weird tropical pineapple bitterness & overripe zest that I don't like. Pineapple in beer always makes the taste more boozy, and this is no exception - even at its scant 6.80% I can detect the alcohol. The subtle herbal and resinous hop aromatics don't manifest in the flavour profile, to its detriment. I'm not finding the grapefruit promised by the label, but I do get an indistinct citrusy character - from the tangerine? There's a hint of lime in the third act, which is odd here. Some fairly insipid peach. A kiss of pith.

The pale malt foundation is lovely, lending it a clean crisp taste that tames the hops. Still, it ventures too far onto the bitter side, leaving it imbalanced. I really crave more of the blueberry, but it's ultimately quite reticent, and frankly more prominent in the aroma than in the taste. Too bad. Honey and bready malts fill out the body.

With only one hop utilized, it's unsurprising that this is a bit lacking in terms of intricacy; it's far from one-note, but it's not the complex multidimensional brew that you hope for. I'd like some resins, hop oils...maybe even some pine.

Nice depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, aptly medium-bodied, and aptly thick. It does suffer from overcarbonation, lending it unwelcome sharpness. Could be softer and more approachable; Overall well executed. This texture doesn't elevate the beer, but it complements the taste nicely enough.

Overall presence on the palate is nice.

OVERALL: Boozier than it should be, restricting drinkability. But it's downable and I quite enjoy it. Why has it earned the acclaim it has? The taste doesn't live up to the aroma. At its high price, I wouldn't buy it again unless a trade partner really wanted it. Chalk it up to my personal disdain for pineapple in beer, but I don't consider this world-class by any means. The blueberry does make it unique - and that note is impressively subtle, but at the same time it's too closed-off. Worth trying, but don't expect an amazing brew. I love the blueberry, but hate the pineapple. Think about it - is blueberry mixed with pineapple really all that appealing just in general?

This is easily Texas' best IPA. But does that say that much?

Low B

***
02.12.15:
I revisited this in a second bottle (and, in all honesty, not a particularly fresh one), and I have to say I initially was incorrect. This is better than I first noticed; the creamy soft feel coupled with the unique yet subtle berry character is nothing short of fantastic. It tastes like a gestalt whole, and I find it obscenely drinkable. There's a rare marriage of texture to taste, and it sets this beer apart from most other IPAs.

As an aside (and at heavy risk of coming off pretentious): there are Japanese tourists in Europe who spend their whole trips gazing through the viewfinders of their cameras. The joke is that they never see the places they're in because they're too focused on capturing the experience of seeing them (ostensibly, I believe, so they can later show their friends and family the concomitant images). In the case of this beer specifically, I too may have been too busy looking through my viewfinder.

On a personal note, my generous thanks to friends Collins and Dennis for calling me on my bullshit. What a great brew. I find myself inhaling my glass. The BGCP might refer to intangibles. In this case, I must make mention of the ineffable.

High B+

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Serving: 750 mL bottle poured into an IPA glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lush, billowing white head; dissipates gradually to a lasting cap and leaves thick lace.

Smell: Bright grapefruit and orange zest, pineapple, pine trees and hay.

Taste: Grapefruit and orange zest and juice atop lightly bready malt. Mildly bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: Immensely drinkable. Full hop flavor and aroma without being assertive; very well balanced.

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been fortunate enough to have this brew in a bomber and on tap. Absolutely tremendous across the board. This beer is worth going out of your way to track down.

I love you Texas!
Pours a brilliant clear golden/yellow with a ton of carbonation upon the first pour.
The smell is reminescent of a fruit salad; oranges, pineapples, blueberries, with a slight alcohol presence on the backend.
The taste follows with a fresh hit of hops, followed by a crispy, carbonated body that fizzles out over time but zero alcohol noticeability.
This beer is great. Texas is becoming a hot bed of great, sought after brews.
There is certainly something in the water; I just hope it doesn't come from Barton Sprangs! *Though that may be the secret ingredient)
5/5

Yellow Rose - The Lone Pint Brewery
IPA
6.8% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a gorgeous yellow rose petal steeped tea. As the pint glass fills it starts showing some dark straw color, with a nice amount of haziness. A big billowy cloud white head that's made up of tightly packed small bubbles. Great retention, this beer looks awesome.

AROMA: As I'm pouring the aroma of this ipa is jumping out of the glass at me. Such a great nose, like Violet Beauregard laying on a bed of flower petals eating fresh cut pineapple. Very sweet, juicy and inviting. Not much of a malt presence as of yet.

TASTE: First sip, mind blown Kaboom! Fresh picked perfectly ripe fruits, juicy pineapple, succulent peaches, plump blueberries, some nice melon notes swirling around. Small amount of pine that brings along with it some very subtle bitterness. Biscuity, toast maltiness that really takes a back seat to the delicious hop flavors. No alcohol detected at all, scary easy to drink. I wish this came in super big gulp cups.

MOUTHFEEL: Light plus body with medium carbonation. Clean, crisp with a dry lingering finish.

OVERALL: As of right now, this is my favorite single IPA. It was amazing, every aspect hit for me. I could drink this all day every day big thanks to @grantotx for this bottle even though I'll be begging him for more now! If you can find this or trade for it, do it. I'm really trying to not throw 5's out as easy but this one is damn close.

RATING: 4.9/5 Zombie Heads!

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle dated 10/22/14

I'm gonna keep this brief. This is an incredible IPA brewed the way I like IPAs. The hop presence is fruity and juicy. Tropical fruit flavors and citrus dominate. Grapefruit pith on the back end but not too bitter. Light yet slightly sweet malt presence. Easy to drink yet powerful. Carbonation is on the lighter side but works well. This beer reminds me of zombie dust but is softer and more complex. Outstanding and one of the best beers I've had this year.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

My favorite beer that comes out of Houston. So glad it comes in bottles now. The smell is tremendous with light pine and strong blueberry and grapefruit. The taste follows the same way with a lingering bitterness at the end. Haven't gotten enough of this beer yet. Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Have had this brew at various locations within the Houston loop and recently a bottle from their first run:

Golden yellow, hazy pour with a clean white head that lingers through the glass. Small white lacing that sticks to the glass.

Smells of citrus and grapefruit. Grapefruit dominates. Smells amazing when it is fresh.

Taste follows the nose. Aroma dominates the flavor as well. Balanced malt backbone with just the slightest hint of alcohol to let you know it's there.

This has become my go-to pint whenever I'm out and it's available. Usually very fresh and very awesome. Recommend to try whenever you find it.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from tap into a pint nonic, 1 finger cream colored head, recedes quickly, nice lacing, really nice. Bright golden hazy in the glass. Smells biscuit malt, tropical citrus more to the grapefruit side and some underlying line. Taste is initially a little malt sweetness followed immediately by grapefruit/pine bitterness ending with a citrus/floral semi dry finish. Great mouthfeel, no alcohol detected. I do notice an underlying earthiness/ dankness to this. Great beer I can find on tap almost every day

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Straight white head, nice lacing. Orange, grapefruit, sweet mango, pineapple, biscuit, breast malt notes. This is really good IPA. Wow. Nice coating of bitterness in the mouth. Dry finish. I’m a fan.

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours hazy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Mild retention and lacing. Aroma of strong grapefruit and hops. Slightly malty taste with big hoppy finish and strong fresh grapefruit aftertaste. Very slightly soapy. Beer was poured straight from brewery, so it was unbelievably fresh. Excellent beer!!

5/22/16 - had a bomber today and a on tap. The bomber was good, somewhat less than this rating, but on tap was on par with the brewery.

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1L growler poured into a HF wine glass. Served at 42F.Major thanks to porter0209. Mike indicates the growler was filled six days ago.

A: Yellow-gold translucent body topped by a thick white 1" head tdhat recovers nicely with gentle swirling. Highly carbonated with fine effervescent bubbles in the body that rise over and over through the head. Thick lacing coats the glass as I drainthos beer.

S: Massive citrus and grapefruit nose. Tropical fruits abound with subtle floal notes fading into the background. I know this is Mosaic single hop, but its Simcoe geneology shines through as well. Fine biscuity malt backbone is present, but not dominating...that's left for the hops. High carbonation ensures hat the nose is refreshed over and over.

T: Consisent with the nose, hop forward juiciness crushes the palate on this beer. Piney and resinous without being overly dank, this is a full on hop monster. Tropical and refreshing, this is more like the east coast (think Vermont) single IPA than a west coast style. Malt is not lost in the background, leaving a nicely balanced finish.

F: Slightly oily, this coats the palate, but finishes surprisngly clean for the amount of juicy pine flavor. Hints of soft bitterness linger but they are pleasant and not overpowering. The light balance of the malt keeps a medium mouthfeel. As noted above, carbonation is high, but that could be related to the draught line used to fill the growler.

O: Highly enjoyble and surely one of the best Texas IPAs I've had the good fortune to taste. This stacks up well against some of the very best out there. I'd love to try it bottled (or canned) with the carbonation dialed in for consistency. If you have the chance, give The Yellow Rose a whirl.

Yellow Rose from The Lone Pint Brewery