Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar
3.58/5
Good
Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic
budvar.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Czechvar is the special name of the world famous beer produced by renowned brewery in České Budějovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one the best lagers in the world.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Ratings: 1,558 |  Reviews: 816
2.41/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a transparent gold with a small head that quickly disappears. The smell is sweet and skunky. This bottle might be skunked. I'm not sure. It's green, so it should have been OK for a decent amount of time. But I bought it warm at a wine shop, so it may have been sitting for quite some time, I suppose.
The taste was pilsner-style hoppy and dry with a distinctly skunky taste. I can never be sure if that's from improper storage or just a lame beer. But I'll alter my review if my next bottle is not skunky. This was pretty lame. No better than American lager.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

19.9 oz bottle

A strong gold with moderate to active carbonation. Beautiful beading keeps an active and loose collar around the edge of the glass. Very slight lacing.

Wow, a clean Lager. The nose is crisp and a little malty, so is the taste. A clean summer brew if i ever saw one. It is almost like i've stumbled into an alternate universe where things are so strange that Bud is appealing.

3.97/5  rDev +10.9%

I've had a few of these that are skunked, but a good bottle of Budvar (yeah, it's called Czechvar in my neck of the woods but I'm not about to give A-B the props) is a decent brew.

It poured a clear, dark gold with a one-finger head that quickly diminished to a soapy ring. The smell was a nice balance of spicy hops and bready malt. Only a hint of skunk.

The taste started with a nice bitter blast from the hops that yielded to some yeasty, malty taste before the bitterness returned for a dry, puckering finish. The medium body and lively carbonation suited the style.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Has a nice sharp carbonation, a quick white head, and a crystal clear yellow straw body.

Mostly sweetness in the nose, corn and skunk.

Good malt hop balance, some sweetness but balanced very well.

Medium body not real rich but nice.

Very drinkable, good session beer.

2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

3.92/5  rDev +9.5%

From my beer journal:

Originally reviewed in Early May 2011 from my Deschutes Pilsener glass.

A: A really nice white head. Beer was clear and golden as was expected.

S: A very herbal aroma with just a bit of hops.

T: A nice bready malt flavor followed by a zesty hop touch. I really enjoyed the clean finish. This was a very easy drinking beer. Surprisingly one of my favorites of this style.

M: Light body and very smooth.

O: During my beer tour I only had this, Prima Pils and Lagunitas Pils. This pulled out ahead, which I wasn't expecting.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

2.06/5  rDev -42.5%

Well to sum it up I wasnt impressed.
Pours a light copper and a not so long lasting head with little to no lacing. The smell was so faint and light I almost couldnt detect it. The best I could say is that it had a slight maltiness. The taste was very watery. No bitterness at all and a very slight malt taste. This beer almost tastes like an american lager ..ie not much taste.

4.07/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a crisp golden with a quickly disappearing head. Nice frothy lacing inside the glass.

Smells of light hops and tastes malty and hoppy (if those are even really words). Very gentle mouthfeel and so easy to drink it almost drinks itself. What a lager should taste like.

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

The first time I had this was a train from Munich to Prague. They also have it at the Gate in Park Slope, Brooklyn. This 12oz was from the Park Slope Food Coop.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a best before 08/2007 date. Poured a clear bubbly gold with an inch head. Malty aroma and malty tast. Bitter and dry, very pleasing. Medium bodied and bubbly. A very drinkable beer.

3.32/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%

Canned version. I find it surprising how generally well respected this beer is but in taste it's rather plain.

It does look good however. With a clear golden body, well defined head with sheets of lacing. Nice.

The smell is pilsner malt and grassy grain mostly.

Taste is simple, some pilsner malt & grain with a touch of floral hops. The problem is that it's just no interesting in the least.

Mouthfeel is good. Soft but with a refreshing amount of carbonation. Drinkability is just ok. It's goes down easy enough but I'm not interested enough to have another.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%

A: pours a deep, clear gold with a 2 finger bubbly head that reduces to a thin film and a few rising carbonation streams - very little lace

S: beautiful floral hops and a nice caramely, malty nose

T: nice, very smooth grassy flavour with a touch of spice on the finish

M: light body, slightly creamy texture, good carbonation and nice spicy finish.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. It's crisp, grassy flavour makes it highly refreshing and the spicy finish makes it truly fit in with the classic czech pilsener style. I could easily put a few of these down in a day. As a matter of fact, I think I'll have another...

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before date 08/05.

Cap pops off with a forceful "thwop." Crystal clear and light golden with a three-finger thick white head that left no lacing on my glass. Lots of bubble streams in there.

The smell of this one is tough for me to describe. A hop presence is most obvious and grassy but it also gives me a tingling sensation in the snout. A malty sweetness wafts up.

Taste is sweet and carmel-like with a floral hop, almost grassy flavor. Ends bitterly with decidedly grassy flavor balanced with the carmel.

Much heavier in the mouth than I expected from the color and clarity. Carbonation is about right.

A good pilsner, and, without looking, I'd guess it's the best of what I've reviewed. I don't think you have to be a fan of the style to enjoy this beer. It's good. Try some.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

Rich dark golden color with smooth white head. Saaz hops aroma evident immediately. Taste is smooth and rich, with maltiness becoming more pronounced as it warms. Hops bitterness is much more subdued than Pilsner Urquell, which makes Czechvar a bit more mellow and easier to drink. I love this beer. Look for the brown single bottles if you are worried of green-bottle skunk!

2.89/5  rDev -19.3%

Yes, this is what Bud should be like.

A - Extremely pale yellow with a small white head this vanishes in an instant.

S - Grainy corn smell. Not terrible, but nothing to shout about.

T - Light grain/corn combo flavor. Tiny hop bit, but mainly smooth with a slight sweetness as it warms. Pretty decent.

M - Fairly light, but for the style, not bad.

D - Quite drinkable, even though I'm not a lager fan. When American macros fashioned themselves after this it seems they forgot to retain what flavor the original had.

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

3.27/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked this up while on vacation in the Greek Isles. They say European beer tastes better in Europe, and I would say that among the lousy greek lagers I had to choose from, this one was amazing. I brought 4-5 home with me.

This review however is half a year later back in the states.

Consumed in a standard (Fat Tire) pint glass. Pours golden yellow and crystal clear.

Very thin to no head. Wide and small bubble pattern. Can swirl for 1/2 finger head that quickly disolves and leaves no lacing.

Strong lager and sweet malt aroma. Aroma is a positive on this one.

While the aroma is pleasant, the flavor is much less appreciated back home in the land of ales and spectacular beers.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Beer rating: 3.58 out of 5 with 1,558 ratings