Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

good
Read the review
Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic
budvar.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Ratings: 1,417 |  Reviews: 776
3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from bottle labeled Czechvar.

Pours slightly a slightly darker gold than many other pale lagers or lite Macros. The head was frothy a white until it died down entirely which is to be expected. There was minimal lacing.

Aroma is musky with hints of honey, citrus, hay, and cracker-like pale grains.

Taste is balanced nicely with a fair amount of sweetness to balance out the dry euro hops.

Mouthfeel is thin, highly carbonated and refreshing. This is a great hot weather beer and would be preferred over BMC.

2.86/5  rDev -20.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

I had high hopes for this lager, having read so many positive reviews of it. I'm not a huge lager fan, tending to prefer the rich English browns and English pale ales, stouts, etc. This was actually my first Czech.

Upon pouring, formed a nice thick head on top of a dark golden beer underneath.

Smell was quite mild, perhaps typical for a lager.

The initial taste was alright coming in, but there was a strong metallic presence as I swallowed, for the first few sips. Although this went away very soon, the presence was so strong at first that it largely colored the impression this beer would leave. Later sips revealed a decent--but not outstanding in any way--flavor.

There is no reason I wouldn't try this again, but I'd prefer another serving type if possible, particularly on tap.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

33cl Bottle

Best by 5/13/09

The original Budweiser fills a pilsner glass with a deep golden body with crystal clear clarity. A short lived perfectly white head grew to one finger before fizzling out to a swirling of foam that leaves behind zero lacing. Large carbonation bubbles rise to the surface throughout the entire body of this beer. The body looks good but the head doesn't quite fit.

The nose is crisp and clear although fairly light. Dry biscuity malts combine with a floral hoppiness to create a welcoming brew. There's a bit of a spicy edge from the hoppiness as well, almost dusty. The floral hoppiness adds a touch of sweetness when I swirl my glass. This certainly isn't the most impressive or interesting aroma but it does its job very well.

The nose couldn't have described the flavor any better. This is actually a nice, solidly hopped brew. The spiciness comes across the tongue first and leads the way. Slight floral tones emerge here and there along with an ever present underlying biscuity maltiness. This beer is clean, crisp and to the point; a very enjoyable pilsner.

The carbonation seems to be a little on the high side but it doesn't hurt the body much. The mouthfeel is moderate with some prickliness up front, a bit of stick in the middle and a clean finish. A mild bitterness sticks around for a short time but disappears before the next drink.

This pilsner goes down very easy. The lower abv combined with the clean, crisp feel of this beer keeps it flowing. I can drink a few of these at a time with no complaints.

The original Bud is much better than the "Great American Lager". Crisp and hearty with a nice little hoppy kick on the finish. This beer will see more time in my fridge.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle (best by 5.22.09) poured into a pint glass.

A- There was a 1 finger white head that quickly drops to a lace without leaving any rings. The body was a clean, straw-golden color with heavy carbonation.

S- The aroma was a combination of doughy malts and floral hops. It was quite strong in the nose.

T- Nice doughy flavor combined with some earthy hops that leave a dry finish.

M- It had a nice full-bodied feel for the style with medium to heavy carbonation.

D- It's a really good drinker. I could put more than a couple back in a single sitting.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Another example of a vastly superior product when consumed near its source. In my case, it was directly from the unfiltered lagering tank while on a personal tour of the brewery.

The head is an egg shell white with moderate staying power. The liquid is clear and golden colored.

Light hop aroma, but not floral. No grainy smells, just clean malt. The flavor does show some graininess, but the overabundance of carbonation is the real distraction. The body is not solid enough to counterbalance this.

Overall, this is a tasty if not slightly bitter. I noted that it worked well with a duck lunch later in my trip to Prague.

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From an 11.2 oz bottle marked "Best By 05-13-09" into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). This one's a pale golden color with plenty of precipitating carbonation. Thin pale head fades very quickly leaving only a slight cap and collar with no lacing. Nose of dusty "Euro-lager" malt and not much else. Mouth is malty and again a bit "dusty" as is typical with mediocre Euro-lagers. Little hops character evident. Middle dry and ever so slightly bitter end. Mouth is thin and slightly bubbly; not crisp as expected. Drinkability is relatively poor; there's little to bring me back for more.

Overall: As sampled, a mediocre Euro lager and nothing more. Hardly up to the "B" average of BA. Perhaps my sample was light struck; it was well within the freshness date. As sampled, I wouldn't try another.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a light straw gold color. The smell was of a strong hops. Taste was filled with crisp hop bitterness, hints of sweet malt. Mouthfeel was good, and the drinkability was very good. Overall this was a nice crisp and refreshing pils. Not a wowing beer, but a decent beer that I will probably go to again when I'm in the mood for a nice easy drinker.

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Clear golden body with no head

S - Malt and floral nose with some biscuit smell as well. A little hops

T - Lots of malts with a little bit of hops. Crisp taste but bitter and off after taste

M - Light medium body with medium carbonation

D - Didn't grab me. To bitter and not enough flavor to be enjoyable

3.25/5  rDev -10%

A - Poured out a clear, pale, straw yellow color with a large, pillowy, white head. It left a little lace.

S - It smelled skunked. I was afraid that I was going to have to pour it out.

T - This taste was completely different from the smell. Grains and barley dominated the flavor. There was a touch of hop spiciness.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - It really drinks pretty well. The smell was awful, but it tasted quite good.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Poured at Bora lá bar in Almada, 330 ml bottle. Best served by 21-01-2009. Reviewed under low artificial light. Poured into Pilsener glass. Date of review: 20-10-2008.

Presentation: Traditional 330ml green bottle with simplistic yet classy artwork. Gold / red / white color scheme which in my opinion doesn't match well with the green of the bottle.

Appearance: Poured a clear Yellow / Gold brew with 1 finger white head. The head quickly fades into thin patchy cap, which holds for the rest of the experience. Perceived effervescence is medium. Lacing is non-existent.

Aroma: Aroma is of medium strength. I pick up a strong skunky smell, Floral hops and malt undertones.

Taste: Grassy malt with dominating floral hops flavor. Alcohol is noticeable and complements the beer well. The floral hops lend a medium bitterness to the brew which lingers through the aftertaste, but is not coying. Well balanced.

Palate: Body is light to medium. Carbonation is medium. Very clean and crisp. Finishes smoothly.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability, even by Czech Pilsener standards. Very clean, with enjoyable (but no excessive) hop character.

Final comment: A good prototypical Czech Pilsener and highly recommended for those wanting to try out lagers other than the ubiquitous American macro-lagers. Will be trying again, hopefully with less skunkiness.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to admit that this beer was my overall favorite for a while, during a stint in Romania. Of course, there isn't much to hope for in Romania for beer lovers, and this commanded a high price in that strange, squirrelly market. But nonetheless, it reminded me of what quality was on a few occasions.

Tonight's sampling:

A - Nice carbonation, foam dies off quickly, no residue, clean yellow color.

S - Malty sweetness, pronounced but not overbearing scent of hops.

T - Exceptional balance between malt and hops. Hops linger longer, but are not abusive. After several sips, a metallic taste appears, but then goes away a few sips later. Hmm ...

M - Decent.

D - Good.

One of the problems I have had with this beer (overall) is the wildly differing quality of the samples I have had. When I've had good bottles it's some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Other times, it tastes like it's been sitting around in the basement of some nuclear waste facility for a few years before it makes it to the shelf.

Is this a production or distribution problem?

Hard to figure that, but I would rather this beer be more consistant, and certainly on the good end.

2.33/5  rDev -35.5%

Had this on-tap in Prague, CZ. Beautiful country, nice people. This is the original "Budweiser."

Pours light pale golden, some head.

Smells of grain & hops.

Not much taste or mouthfeel to speak of, undrinkably dry, metallic and bitter. Feels thin and light. Over-hyped. I did not finish it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

I loved in Czech for 6 months and I would have to say this was one of my favorites. Most of Americans didn't like it as much and opted for the less pungent Gambrinus. Great example of a fine Pilsner. I tried back in the US and I would have to say it's not the same. But, still a great beer.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

I had this as Czechvar and it looked interesting at the store. It was a nice brilliant gold color with a white head that fizzle away rather quickly. Smell was not to terribly exciting. Taste was quite surprisingly good.

I enjoyed this beer. It's something I would drink on a hot summer day while sitting outside with friends.

Correction -- it's not exactly "by" budweiser as in anheuser-busch. Thanks to tai4ji2x

3.36/5  rDev -6.9%

Clear deep golden color with a bone colored cap of very fine bubbles.

Light aromas of sweet grain, with spicy, lemony-grassy hops.

More strength on the palate. Biscuity grain comes in with a touch of sweetness. Lightly lemony and a bit metallic. Lots of pungent, raw, spicy-earthy saaz. Very crisp medium body with decent amount of fine carbonation.

Not bad stuff here. It is a bit raw, but I kinda like that about it.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

I tested 12 oz. bottle form of Czechvar as it's known here in the USA. I must say that I was quite disappointed with what I had previously tried as Budvar. I had my first Budvar in the Praha (Prague) airport while waiting for a flight from Russia to come in. As I sipped it (and its countryman Pilsner Urquell), I thought that it was the very definition of what beer should be. That was a long time ago, and my tastes have turned away from the basic pilsener style that this represents. The American version, at least, can't compete with Urquell, and perhaps some of that is to do with the distance traveled.

A: Nice golden straw color, many tiny bubbles, but a disappointing head.

S: Again, average, not unpleasant, but reminiscent of unpleasant, cheaper beers.

T: Tastes like most of its ilk, with a sub-bitterness that is almost worth savoring, but ends up not tasting richly like anything. I could use a little more yeasty flavor, if anything.

M: Nice mouthfeel, if perhaps a bit less carbonated than I'd desire; it got less distinctive as I finised the glass.

D: Very drinkable; this can be a good session beer. Nothing about it is unplesant, but I'd like to have a bit more flavor.

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

I was a bit disappointing by this brew. It pours great and has a good two fingers of head in my pilsener glass. The color is a crystal clear yellow reminiscent of American lagers. The nose is to fair, good use more Saaz hops, but does have a pleasant aroma with a balance between malt and hops, which isn't necessarily a good thing for this style. The taste is OK but lacks that signature taste of a great Czech Pilsener. Also the background holds a bit a metallic taste that is not pleasing, albeit slight. Overall this isn't anything special but OK nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly pale gold with exceptional, and I mean exceptional, clarity. About one and a half fingers of slight off white head with minimal retention. Mild to moderate lacing.

S: Vegetal hops, mildly sweetened grain and grassy notes stem from the glass. My buddy lovingly refers to this as "the green bottle skunk".

T: Taste like a damn pilsner. Soft and ever so slightly sweet grain followed by hops bitterness. Todd referred to it as "drinking liquid crackers". This seems as a good a description as any. Tastes like liquid bread with hop bitterness on the end.

M: Good mouthfeel. Beer isn't overly carbonated and has a decent "heaviness" that is lacking in many pilsners. Not to say this beer is heavy, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is balanced.

D: Pilsner. Taste good enough to slam without all that heaviness.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a bottle with a Czechvar label into one of my Pilsner glasses. Clear DEEP gold color with tons of visible carbonation. A 2 finger foamy head appeared on the scene but then just as quickly vanished. Not a great deal of lacing to speak of.

Aroma was sweet, yeasty. I was interested in that it smelled different than most pilsners. Not bad, just different.

The taste was more sweet than I had anticipated. There was a nice grain like flavor that was more dough like vs. bread. Subtle hop bite and lingering effect.

Mouth feel was bright and bubbly but also slightly sticky due to the sweetness.

This is a pretty good beer, but I have plenty of pilsners that I would rate higher.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I've been wanting to sample this one for a long time. It turned up at the Meijer's on the way home from work, so of course I bought it. I'm drinking it at room temp. in a pilsner glass. It surprises me how well it tastes. I was expecting something a little more euro lager-ish. The hops was the first thing I noticed, but as I work on finishing my first, I'm surprised by how sweet and maltly it now tastes. Which is surprising considering that there is ZERO head retention or lacing. Sure, I'd drink it again, as long as your buying. Cheers!

2.01/5  rDev -44.3%

Beer pours pale and quite average. Aroma is immediately skunky, like Heineken but without the kick. Taste is metallic, bright and grassy but the skunk is almost overpowering. The mouthfeel is tolerable at best, kind of a thinly veiled lager if you will. Drinkability is better than expected given the mild aftertaste even considering the "skunkiness" of this beer. Not recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

Mmmm, another fine, clean, Czech Pilsner. "BEST BEFORE: 03.14.09"

A- Very clear golden with a small, tight-bubbled head. The type of beer I am used to pounding back at celebrations

S- Smells like a hoppy biscuit. Floral hops

T- Taste is light and refreshing with a great balance of light, floral hops and pale, biscuity pilsner malts. Lager/green glass musk

M- Feel is excellently light-bodied but could use more carbonation, however low carbonation adds to the drinkability/chuggability

D- I could drink these all day long and the only the intoxication would stop me

3.9/5  rDev +8%

11.2 oz. bottle with "Best Before" date of 02.11.09 printed on the label, poured into a stemmed pilsner glass.

Pours a bright gold with a quickly fading two-finger white head that leaves no lacing on the glass.

Slightly sweet malt aroma with a tinge of herbal hops.

Nice medium-bodied, light mouthfeel with a a brushing of grassy, bitter hops over a backbone of sweet grain, leading to a smooth, malty-sweet finish.

Fresh, refreshing, and thirst-quenching, this is an easy-drinking beer that leaves me wanting to down a few more.

I purchased this alongside its American counterpart, and having sampled both for comparison, the original Czech brew is far, far superior to its rice-laden Anheuser-Busch competition. It's nothing remarkable in and of itself, but it's certainly a good brew for quaffing.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz. bottle. Pours golden yellow color with a small white head. Aroma was a hint of citrus with some light malt, a touch of skunk. Flavor was nice, a little bitter. Light body, very crisp, could probably drink a ton of these. Good beer, not my favorite style though.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

This brew is a product of Bud I guess.

The smell and color are pretty good. Its a decent taste too. Its crisp and refreshing. I kinda enjoy it. Not the best but then again not the worst. Not much of a hop profile but this brew is light, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall, its a decent Pils/lager

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.