Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

good
Read the review
Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic
budvar.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Ratings: 1,419 |  Reviews: 776
2.06/5  rDev -42.9%

Czechvar

I poured into a pint glass to a short lived white head. It is golden yellow and clear. I immediately got a skunk beer smell, even worse than Heineken. I do get a sweet smell after I get over the awful skunk smell. The taste is worse than the smell. I taste metal and I think there is actually a hint of skunk ass. I have never tried skunk ass, but this has to be a close equivalent. I was offered two of these and I am definately glad I only took one. I'm sure its better in the Czech Republic, so they may as well keep it there.

2.06/5  rDev -42.9%

Well to sum it up I wasnt impressed.
Pours a light copper and a not so long lasting head with little to no lacing. The smell was so faint and light I almost couldnt detect it. The best I could say is that it had a slight maltiness. The taste was very watery. No bitterness at all and a very slight malt taste. This beer almost tastes like an american lager ..ie not much taste.

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Before I begin, BA claims that the beer I had was an alias for this brew. I drank a Czechvar bottled beer. This beer doesn't seem to even come close to any review I have looked at on here, while seeing if this was the right beer.

This beer poured a golden yellow color with a half finger high white head. The head dissipated quickly to nothing. A couple lacy bubbles here and there. The initial smell was sweet barley and this smell vanished after about 30 seconds. The initial taste of the beer was first up front barley, however after two sips there was no taste and no smell. The brew had a light body and medium carbonation.

Well, what can I say...this was horrid and depressing. You got flavor only when you attacked the beer in its initial pour, which is great if you chugged it in that first go. Overall, disappointment but what do I expect from the big name brewer.

2.17/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.23/5  rDev -38.2%

So the beer I had is Czechvar, premium Czech Lager, but the bottle looks nothing like what is above, finding out that its bud, is a surprise but makes sence.

A: 12 oz bottle. honey color, head was gone quickly, no lacing at all.

S: Skunk like, nothing more to say. Not pleasant.

T/M: Served ice cold had very light body. Medium carbonation

D: Not a big fan of this one, sorta upset this was an incogneito beer.

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

Review based on the BJCP2008 (style 2B - Bohemian pilsner). Bottle 33 cl - Batch unknown. AROMA: mild sweet and grainy aroma with some DMS. no floral hop aromas. APPEARANCE: gold color and translucent. thin creamy white head with average retention. TASTE: mild sweet grainy flavour. medium-low bitterness with a medium-dry finish. PALATE: medium-thin body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: a bland bohemian pilsner. where are the Saaz hops? NOTE: the label says "Czech Imported Lager" wich we are inclined to believe this is a special batch without the hops. We have in memory that this beer is more hop intensive than this drinked example.

2.26/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.26/5  rDev -37.4%

A- Crystal clear, pale golden yellow. This is the clearest, lightest beer I have ever seen poured into a glass.

S- Pretty boring. A little dry, almost like champagne, but not in a good way.

T- Again, not that exciting. It is light and refreshing, with a slight malty taste up front, and a very slightly bitter finish.

M- Water

D- Ultra-light, but something about the taste just makes me not want to keep drinking.

I hope my view isn't skewed after so many strong Imperial Stouts and hopped up IPAs. I've had some Czech Pilsners that I like in the past, this just isn't one of them.

2.28/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a Hoegaarden pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland, on November 1st, 2010. Pours a clear gold with a three finger, thin head that doesn't retain well. Generally appealing.

Smell: A slightly musty scent, not very strong. Fresh barley and maybe a slight note of hops.

Taste: Some cream on the open followed by a clean pilsener barley taste cut by a pleasant finish. Built alright for a pilsener, but I've had far better. It's slightly out of balance.

Mouthfeel: Too wet but not watery. Dries up towards the finish; this is my favourite part of pilseners and this one does it well. It's a little too smooth.

Drinkability: I'm in no hurry to have another, but I'm not going to spit it out like most American macrolagers.

2.29/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not to bad to start with

2.33/5  rDev -35.5%

Had this on-tap in Prague, CZ. Beautiful country, nice people. This is the original "Budweiser."

Pours light pale golden, some head.

Smells of grain & hops.

Not much taste or mouthfeel to speak of, undrinkably dry, metallic and bitter. Feels thin and light. Over-hyped. I did not finish it.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

The aroma just came flooding out of the bottle as soon as I cracked the cap. The smell reminds of old midwest taverns in small towns that served Hamms on tap. My head just pissed out to nothing. Taste is nothing special and maybe a little flat and dry. Unlike Urquell, this beer lacks the crisp refreshing mouthfeel. Rather this beer leaves that pilsner after taste that leaves you thirsty. Bleeck as Don Martin of Mad Magazine might have said.

But if you like this type of beer then buy it and drink when the Czechs hit the soccer pitch this week for the fight in the European Cup Football Games this month.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Pint at Three Good Things in El Segundo tonight for four dollars, was in the mood for a beer and this was about as interesting as their selection got, color is a light golden yellow, creamy one inch white head, not much retention, no lacing, aroma is very weak and has some skunkiness, yeast, light grain, grass, and maybe some citrus, taste starts off light with some grain, watered down in the middle, finish is yeasty and grainy, pretty crisp at first but not once it warms, chewier by the end but this is meant to be a refreshing pilsner and it does not really achieve that, slightly chewy and watery mouthfeel, thin bodied, way too much carbonation, taste does not last, goes down easy and does even seem five percent, light and not much to it, drinkability is good but flavor suffers as a result, little better than the standard Budweiser and also different in many ways, although I do see many similarities as well, would not drink again, not recommended

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

This one's a pale yellow in color, with fair head retention. Initial sniff reveals an almost fruity scent, and the taste is rich and full, with an almost biscuity, malty overtone. A very mild finish, though. This one's outstanding for it's class, solid and full of character.

Follow-up review, "Czechvar" bottle in 2011:
This pale, transparent straw yellow lager pours with a nice, clean white head. No lace here.

Nose is adjunct, with sweet corn and yeasty biscuits.

Flavor is very bland and underwhelming, but with a crisp finish. Nonetheless, this is an unremarkable lager, and reminds me of a PBR far too much. No more, thanks.

Interesting how much a difference 2 years makes?

2.41/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours a transparent gold with a small head that quickly disappears. The smell is sweet and skunky. This bottle might be skunked. I'm not sure. It's green, so it should have been OK for a decent amount of time. But I bought it warm at a wine shop, so it may have been sitting for quite some time, I suppose.
The taste was pilsner-style hoppy and dry with a distinctly skunky taste. I can never be sure if that's from improper storage or just a lame beer. But I'll alter my review if my next bottle is not skunky. This was pretty lame. No better than American lager.

2.43/5  rDev -32.7%

I picked this one up on a whim and in this case, there's something to be said for doing one's homework. This isn't necessarily a bad beer - it even has a somewhat refreshing quality to it - but it is incredibly average. At least with horrible beers there's something to make fun of. One area of note: the smell is kind of terrible.

2.46/5  rDev -31.9%

Comes out of the tap a fairly average clear amber, but it does have a nice, fine-bubbled white head. Aroma is rather weak, malty, and not promising. Flavor is wan but palatable, malty with a good hint of citrus. Texture is smooth and fairly tingly. I am just not a big fan of pilsners.

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Clear golden in color. Zero head or lacing.
S: Faintly floral hop aromas at first, quite subdued right out of the fridge. Warming helps a bit, but only a bit. Very faint malt smell.
T: So that's what Saaz hops taste like, eh? OK, there's a bit of hop bitterness, the majority of the taste seems to be a thin malted sweetness. There was also a strange metallic taste to this one when it was right out of the bottle, but that went away after a few minutes.
M: Sharp feel of carbonation. Crisp and clean on the palate. No aftertaste at all.
D&N: This beer seems more hype than anything. Flavors and aromas are thin and weak. Not anything impressive.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.