Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

good
Read the review
Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic
budvar.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Ratings: 1,417 |  Reviews: 776

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From an 11.2 oz bottle marked "Best By 05-13-09" into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). This one's a pale golden color with plenty of precipitating carbonation. Thin pale head fades very quickly leaving only a slight cap and collar with no lacing. Nose of dusty "Euro-lager" malt and not much else. Mouth is malty and again a bit "dusty" as is typical with mediocre Euro-lagers. Little hops character evident. Middle dry and ever so slightly bitter end. Mouth is thin and slightly bubbly; not crisp as expected. Drinkability is relatively poor; there's little to bring me back for more.

Overall: As sampled, a mediocre Euro lager and nothing more. Hardly up to the "B" average of BA. Perhaps my sample was light struck; it was well within the freshness date. As sampled, I wouldn't try another.

2.57/5  rDev -28.8%

This is the beer that inspired A/B? I wasn't thrilled with this at all.
First of all I paid twice the price of American Bud for a 6 pack of this beer and I should've stuck with the red white and blue version. I was told by several friends that I have to try this beer and for me it was a big let down. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying this beer, but if you're expecting a terrific beer I don't think this stuff will live up to your expectations as it didn't live up to mine. thanks for reading this review.

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Had to try it, I had heard about the Czech Budweiser and when I came across this I picked one up. Even though I was curious I figured I knew what the outcome would be. It's a generic looking Pilsner with a yellow body, white head, not much lacing if any really. The smell is a of some malts, grains, grass and other earthy aromas. The taste followed through with some of the aromas but also has a decent hop bitterness in the aftertaste. All in all, still nothing to rave about.

2.62/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours deep gold with a small head that quickly fades to nothing.
Nose shows uber grassy/skunky hops at first. After this fades, loads of bready malt becomes apparent... craploads.
Similar flavours: bready, grainy malt, honey, and grassy, spicy hops.
Could use a bit more carbonation.

2.62/5  rDev -27.4%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint.

A - Clean light golden color - very filtered, no hazing. Head formation is strong, light white, and well retained.

S - Light pilsner sweetness combined with hops, and just a bit of "skunk" from light struck beer.

T - All pilsner malt through the early and mid-streams, with only the lightest bitterness showing up. Towards the end I detect the hops edge combined with a very potent skunking. Not much aftertaste here - only a light pilsner sweet cling.

M - Moderate to light body - in line with a czech pils. Not strong in terms of carbonation bite either.

D - Easy drinking. If the flavor didn't taste like crap, it would go down easily. ABV is manageable.

This seems like a beer that is a victim of extended "shelf aging" in a green bottle. Blech.

2.64/5  rDev -26.9%

2.64/5  rDev -26.9%

Reviewed 8/3/2008 (bottle BB 05.04.09):

Pours a golden yellow colored body, with a big frothy head, very lasting. Has a very malty aroma, some graininess, and also some nuts. Has a somewhat dusty, and grainy taste, with a mineral watery palate. Refreshing.

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

Undrinkable dry bitter pilsner. Light colour. Bit of malt after you get through the acidic. Mid-sip herb, grass and hay, metal. Grainy dry finish. Low carbonation in Canadian version. Had one in August 2005 that was strong carbonation and certainly worse.
Had this on tap at Chauncey Smith, in draft, in fall of 2009. It was better in smell, taste, mouthfeel, and that is the basis of my rating.

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

With the exception of its initially overpowering ultra-skunky aroma, I thought this was a rather good Bohemian Pilsner/Czech lager. However I still prefer Pilsner Urquell to this beer.

When I opened this beer, my wife (the non-beer drinker in the house) immediately asked if I smelled skunk. Upon opening the bottle, the methyl butyl thiol smell was overpowering - worse than any beer I've ever opened before. And this was a from a bottle with an expiration date of July 2007!

Oddly, the skunkiness seemed to retreat a bit after the beer sat in the glass a few minutes, and wasn't really reflected in the taste (unlike Beck's, which I believe relies on skunkiness for much of its aroma and taste profile). Flavor was much like Pilsner Urquell: Saaz hops with a pleasing, rich balancing malt character. Mouthfeel was unremarkable. Appearance was beautiful - sparkling gold with a fluffy white head.

With the considerable exception of the horrible smell that greeted me when I opened this supposedly-fresh bottle, I thought this was a pretty good beer.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%

I went to the store to buy some Konig only to discover they were out of stock. I paid $7.99 for a six pack of Czechvar with a sell by date of 10-10-12. I'm always nervous about beer in green bottles but I figured this was fresh and something new to taste. The beer pours with a clear golden color and about 1 finger of head that quickly settles. I think this beer has already suffered from light exposure as it has a mild case of the skunks going. I imagine it smells and taste much better from a tap than a bottle. The taste and mouthfeel are decent for the style but the aftertaste is bitter and smelly. I won't buy it again.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Clear golden body with no head

S - Malt and floral nose with some biscuit smell as well. A little hops

T - Lots of malts with a little bit of hops. Crisp taste but bitter and off after taste

M - Light medium body with medium carbonation

D - Didn't grab me. To bitter and not enough flavor to be enjoyable

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.