Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

good
Read the review
Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic
budvar.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Reviews: 775 | Ratings: 1,408
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Original Czechvar. I'm excited because:
a) I've never had it before
b) My ancestral homeland is the Slovak Republic, so I have an inherited taste for beer from the region.
Unfortunately, the only bottle of this stuff I see at the store is best before 3/2004. Oh well, I figure I'll try it and file it in the back of my mind to taste against a fresher bottle in the future. It pours out a beautiful golden, a few bubbles shooting updward, and a perfect foam. After about a minute the two finger head is reduced by 2/3 and after another minute it's down to a ring around the sides and some speckle in the middle.

Since it's so dang over due, I can't really smell any hops, but the malt is still sweet and thick. The taste - just so/so. I get a decent amount of malt and sweet finish, but I'm left wondering what complexity a fresh batch would produce. Still, it's above average for a lager on the strength of the malt.

I really like the mouthfeel. Big and soft with a little carbonation for some bite.

This drink is quite consumable even when a year past its best before date - no souring of the malt. I typically prefer the golden beers in the warmer months, so I'm hoping to get another shot at this beer in the near future.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Tried this at Czech restaurant U Medvidku, and many other restaurants during my visit to Prague.

It is a refreshing pilsener, it pours a nice golden to yellow look, with fair head that last little time.

Smells is somewhat malty but not what I expected, but so fresh that makes you want to drink it right away.

Taste is very refreshing, malty, with little hops and bitterness. It is very easy to drink, I could drink lots of mugs of this beer.

Please refresh your day with this excellent selection.

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%

4/20 tasting, poured from bottle into German stange.

A-clear, golden color, big frothy head that settled all the way down to a thin layer, lots of carbonation bubbles

S-smells dank and musty, a bit skunky, hint of noble hops and bread, corn

M-clean, crisp, refreshing, light body with medium carbonation, noble hops linger

D-exceedingly drinkable, could carry for a full-on session, one of the great Bohemian pilsners

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

Well this was poured from the standard 33cl bottle.
Despite the green glass, no skunking.
A great pilsner, Pours straw clour with a quick fading 1 finger head. Scents of malts and hops, very evenly balanced.
Taste is pretty much textbook pilsner, slightly hoppy.
Mouthfeel is probably the best aspect of this beer. Lively and highlights the flavours of the brew. All in all, a great pils, but not something to search too hard for. Prefer Urquell.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

I tested 12 oz. bottle form of Czechvar as it's known here in the USA. I must say that I was quite disappointed with what I had previously tried as Budvar. I had my first Budvar in the Praha (Prague) airport while waiting for a flight from Russia to come in. As I sipped it (and its countryman Pilsner Urquell), I thought that it was the very definition of what beer should be. That was a long time ago, and my tastes have turned away from the basic pilsener style that this represents. The American version, at least, can't compete with Urquell, and perhaps some of that is to do with the distance traveled.

A: Nice golden straw color, many tiny bubbles, but a disappointing head.

S: Again, average, not unpleasant, but reminiscent of unpleasant, cheaper beers.

T: Tastes like most of its ilk, with a sub-bitterness that is almost worth savoring, but ends up not tasting richly like anything. I could use a little more yeasty flavor, if anything.

M: Nice mouthfeel, if perhaps a bit less carbonated than I'd desire; it got less distinctive as I finised the glass.

D: Very drinkable; this can be a good session beer. Nothing about it is unplesant, but I'd like to have a bit more flavor.

Just a note to help explain the controversy:

This is still a good bottled lager, but no longer an excellent one. The trouble is, it is way below the quality it used to be until the early 1990s. I suppose communism must have some virtues!

When I visited Prague and Bratislava in 1990, beers there had stars on the label - 5 stars meant top quality (incl. Budvar and Urquell). Can you beat that, a government that grades your beers for you?

The missing characteristics I have noticed are the strange creamy texture and the powerful hoppy dryness, both now long gone.

Nowadays, Budvar is a pleasant lager, but I would no longer buy a case or more. I wondered if the dismantled Iron curtain allowed the Saaz hops to be sold abroad more easily, or maybe fighting the copyright battles with the "king of Beers" affected the brewing of Budvar too much.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving Type: 500ml brown bottle. Gold foil around the neck and cap.

Pour: Foamy head which quickly fades away to leave a slight ring around the outside of the glass.

Appearance: Usual lager colour, a few shades darker than Budweiser.

Smell: Clean, hoppy aromas. Floral, lavender.

Flavour: Clean, crisp. Nice hoppy bite.

Overall: A very nice and refreshing lager. The aftertaste is just a little too sweet.

Beer poured a nice golden straw color with a good white head that lasted for a while. Crisp taste of malt with a kiss of the. Aroma much the same: malty with a hint of hop.
As with most pilsners this is not a terribly complex beer but, a tasty, easy drinking one. I had this at a Czech restaurant while visiting relatives in Iowa. I like a good Bohemian pils every so often. I wish I could get this where I live.

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

First off, much better than the "king of beers" - its no contest. Nice looking beer poured from a bottle into a glass. Quick foam that disappears rather quickly, but leaves a nice lace. Smell is crisp. Taste has a hint of hops sweetness. Feels much better than average in the mouth and goes down nice and easy. Overall a disappointment - this is I feel this beer is over-hyped. Would gladly have again if given the chance. Fact is there a many better beers offered from the region.

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer is everything I wish American pilsners were. Highly refreshing and drinkable, and yet not boring or watered down.

The nose is complex and light. Slight citrus, spice, and DMS of cooked corn all are notable, all backed up by a harmony of floral hop and malt If only it were stronger! The color is a crystal clear brilliant gold with an impressive fluffy head that leaves spottly lace on the glass.

The flavor has a light hop hit at the front with a gentle butter diacetyl. The hop taste fades, walking a gentle balance with the malt. The slick and effervescent mouthfeel makes the beer go down quite smoothly.

3.39/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear, pale straw colour with a bubbly, fast-receding head. Aroma of honey and strongly of fresh hops. Balanced flavour. Begins malty and sweet, fairly lowly carbonated for a pilsner, finishes with a soft bitterness. Slight metallic and honey notes, touch of caramel. Very clean and dry finish. Light body .

3.43/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Good feel, taste is quite beforehand, mild aftertaste. Good food beer. /// Kuohkea ja hieman kupliva suutuntuma. Maku etupainotteinen, kevyt jälkimaku. Matala humalan maku, keskimäärin mieto olut. Hyvä ruokaolut.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

The appearance is of a very golden liquid with little to no head.

The smell was very skunky, almost as if I got sprayed in the face by a skunk. Never had a beer this skunky before. I grabbed this from the back of the bottles but I guess the light took its toll. Some hints of lemon, malt and a slight smell of hops.

Taste is very crisp and refreshing. Some skunkiness as well as some slight bitter notes. Malt can be tasted.

Very nice and drinkable. I wish the american Bud was this good!

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is an excellent example of what a pilsner should be, as it offers much more complexity than your average mass-produced version of this classic style. Highly recommended if you want a better pilsner.

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%

Light pale color but still a nose Pilsener, however noted by the lime but also very pleasant mild mile. The palate does not disappoint and offers several flavors, and a presence and a creamy finish slightly malty mid-way between the bitter and the sweet and spicy lemon zest which are present.

Very easy to drink wit a nice aftertaste

Freshness date on bottle

Bottle serving

1.83/5  rDev -49.3%

A: 12 oz bottle, light honey color, medium amount of head, gone quickly

S: not a very pleasing aroma, almoxt skunkish

T/M: average carbonation, with a light body, taste not much better than the smell.

D: i was surprised that this may be a bud product as it was not very good in any aspect

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%

The first thing I noticed was the slightly skunky smell when I popped the cap but, once I got past that things were fine. Poured nicely with a white foamy head but, it didn't last long. Over-all taste and feel is OK but it's not something I'm going out of my way to look for.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Been wanting to try this for ages...the "real" Budweiser, or so they say.

Pours a rich gold with a minimal head which quickly recedes, leaving only a hint of lace and the barest touches of foam around the rim of the glass. Richer color than American macros. Nose is very eurolager, with a prominent cereal malt quality and complex bready yeast, with just a touch of hop aroma. Nicely balanced, pleasant, and not in any way offensive or over the top.

Flavor is excellent. Surprising amount of hop bitterness on the tongue, but not too much, perfectly balanced out by a lightly sweet malt character. The flavor is so subtle and delicate that the yeasty breadiness of the brew becomes prominent, leaving an extremely satisfying aftertaste. None of the grassy straw flavor apparent in the American macro-imitations.

Also unlike the American macro-imitations, this beer has a nice thick, chewy texture. The carbonation is a bit thin and fizzy, which normally I might not really like, but the beer itself has substance and the bubbly over-carbonation actually works quite well in context. It's almost like, "Oh, so *this* is what Adolphus Busch was trying to do."

Perfect beer for sessioning after a 12-hour workday and just relaxing, which is precisely what I'm going to do right now.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to admit that this beer was my overall favorite for a while, during a stint in Romania. Of course, there isn't much to hope for in Romania for beer lovers, and this commanded a high price in that strange, squirrelly market. But nonetheless, it reminded me of what quality was on a few occasions.

Tonight's sampling:

A - Nice carbonation, foam dies off quickly, no residue, clean yellow color.

S - Malty sweetness, pronounced but not overbearing scent of hops.

T - Exceptional balance between malt and hops. Hops linger longer, but are not abusive. After several sips, a metallic taste appears, but then goes away a few sips later. Hmm ...

M - Decent.

D - Good.

One of the problems I have had with this beer (overall) is the wildly differing quality of the samples I have had. When I've had good bottles it's some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Other times, it tastes like it's been sitting around in the basement of some nuclear waste facility for a few years before it makes it to the shelf.

Is this a production or distribution problem?

Hard to figure that, but I would rather this beer be more consistant, and certainly on the good end.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured it into a tumbler glass.

appearance- golden straw color with a 2 finger white head. Carbonation streaming up the class.

smell- I get LOTS of skunk smell mixed in with like a perfume smell.

Taste- Some skunkyness at first but in the middle you get a nice bready note with the back end having a nice bitter finish. Definitely tell its a Pilsner rather that a adjunct lager. Its leaving my mouth a bit dry also.

mouthfeel- Its a light mouth feel but definitely thicker then the macro brews like coors and bud.

overall this is an OK beer. If you want a lawnmower beer but with a bit more taste and complexity i would much rather drink this then a coors or bud or any other macro beer for that matter. Not the best pilsner but not a bad one either.

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%

Served on tap in Prague, served a typical yellow colour with a beautiful orange hue and a good head with sticky lace.
The smell is there not bad nor great.
It is very refreshing and has a nice taste for the style, which makes the mouthfeel awesome.
I am sad, so sad that the times I've had it on the bottle the beer was skunked, it did not taste the same way than in Prague, that's why overall this beer does not deserve a 4.0.

I don't have any notes from when I tried this beer but I do remember it being a good example of a pilsesner. I can recommend for anyone who enjoys them.

3.91/5  rDev +8.3%

I finally found Czechvar and was so excited to get it home and try it.

A- Poured into a Pilsner glass with a medium head that dissipates quickly. Crystal Clear with a large amount of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Deep straw-like in color.

S- Rich malt character. It reminds me of the smell when the pilsner grist hits the water at dough-in. Some light Saaz notes dance in the background.

T- Very light and malty. Slight bit of roasty overtones, and some spicy and citrus undertones on the finish. It also has that typical Czech Pilsner after taste; almost perfume-like.

M- The soft water profile really shines. THis beer is super smooth on the palate and your whole mouth is envelopes with malt richness, like silk. Even though it sounds heavy it remains light and crisp.

D- Very drinkable as I sip on one right now. It hits the spot after a long day at work. Might I dare say, better than an Urquell

And to think I'm not a chronic lager drinker?

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Golden, clear, macro-lager

S: Exceeded expectations. Clean malt aroma with more hops than you'd expect from a czech pilsner.

T: Balanced and light. Nice malt base, good character but little hops on the finish.

M: Medium body, sits on the tongue nicely. Finishes kind of quick.

O: Solid, refreshing and down the middle.

2.94/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a nice yellow color. It didn't have much head but what was there was lacey with little retention.

This pilsner has a grainy and slightly sweet aroma.

It has a crisp and light grainy taste. This beer has a slight hoppiness for a lager.

Has decent carbonation and a little dry finish.

Chechvar has a decent drinkability. I prefer Pilsner Urquell to this but it's still a tasty lager.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.