Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black IPA | McFate Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by FlatRabbitRed on 04-01-2013

Reviews by FlatRabbitRed:
3.42/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tried the "Black IPA", and it was different! Not what I was expecting, but I have had a lot of IPA's... but not a lot of black ones. So, I can only tell you how it tasted to me and what kind of hop flavors came through.

Up front was the piney aroma of Simcoe hops, the mouth feel was a lot of roast, mainly coffee notes, the aftertaste had a different hop character .... earthy, musty, dank ....maybe Mosaic hops ...not sure. I did not personal care for the aftertaste, in the end the combination of those flavors was like drinking the flavor of a burned down house. But don't get me wrong, I did drink it all and can honestly say it was not ....bad, but one was enough.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%