Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hirter Privat Pils | Brauerei Hirt GmbH

Added by Dogbrick on 11-25-2002

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

4.09/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from a .5L bottle (best-by date indicated as being some 2 months after the bar served it to me) in a pils glass. After having ridden my bike through Vienna on a hot day for many hours, I was craving some refreshing suds, and with notebook in hand, a German Pilsener (in its native Austria, to boot) that I'd never had before seemed like a no-brainer.

A bright and clear straw color in appearance, with a bubbly head that displayed nice lacing and pretty good retention.

Nicely aromatic and crisp on the nose, with spicy grass and hay notes, but also some malt grains to gird the hops.

The subdued malt to the nose belies a very solid malt backbone that is nonetheless complimented and defined by the hop flavors that ride through. Grassy, spicy earthiness and freshly cut grains, and also a hint of grapefruit. The pils' finish, and what lingers on the palate, is a just-slightly bitter and dry taste and sensation.

Fairly light and nicely carbonated, with a full-bodied but crisp and refreshing flavor, I was definitely suitably refreshed for a continuation of my cycling. Had I not been cycling, I could've easily downed a few more.

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours honey colored with 3 fingers of pearl colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Soapyness, bready notes,& perfumy hops

T: Follows the nose, slight sulphur, along with lemony & mineral hoppyness up front. Crackery notes/dryness, grainy bread notes as this warms, some apple & white grape notes as well. Finishes soapy with a slight grainy sweetness, really enjoyed this

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation & good balance

A respectable pils that went down too easy

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

I like this beer! Got this bottle at Sam's in Chicago last week. Poured with a medium sized, white head that mostly subsided and some lace. Color is a very slightly hazy gold. Aroma is pleasant and traditional malty, hoppy, grainy, grassy, a little spice and fragrant. Flavor is about the same. Body is good, especially for the style. Finish is bittersweet, clean, and balanced. Definitely a session beer.

(Served in a strange)
3/9/2012 on bottle
A- This beer pours a deep straw yellow body with a lumpy off-white head that is thick and a quick sea of carbonation pops to the top. The head sticks in sheets with each sip.

S- the clean lager aroma has a slightly sweet sulfur and some pils malt note to it with a wet mash aroma in the finish. The soft noble hop note comes through in the finish as it opens.

T- The clean gentle sweetness is pale malt but there is a soft slightly sweet mineral water note in the finish. The noble hop bitterness lingers a bit in the aftertaste but stays in balance

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slightly slippery texture and a gentle fizz.

O- Nice German Pilfer that is just a touch sweeter than most but it adds a nice freshness to the malt flavor. It is well balanced but the mineral water taste tends to grow a bit to much as it opens.

3.96/5  rDev +21.8%

Looking at this beer through a Koelsch-spike, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better looking beer. There is a stunning clarity to this beer and a nice white bubble-bath head. I mean, just look through this beer. Who can argue with that?

The smell and taste, unfortunately, have a little bit of "tomato-sauce" edge to the,. It happens to a lot of beers (Dortmunder Gold comes to mind) but overall I don't think it detracts from the experience too much. I'm left with a fairly clean pils that is balanced out by a fair amount of earthy hallertau hops. Yes, that unfortunate vegital character is there, but not enough to properly hate on the beer.

I like the crisp dryness of the beer. Once I'm done having a sip, my mouth is clear and ready for the next. Indeed, there is a slight drying knack to it. I dig.

Ultimately, the beer suffers because it is not Bitburger. I can get a can of Bitburger for a third the price and, frankly, Bitburger is a better beer if that is what you are reaching for (and I usually am!). That said, it isn't a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hirter Privat Pils
,5l brown glass bottle coded "09.06.2014 5 343 3 M" on 30 Dec 2014

Notes: Crystal clear golden body beneath a short head of bright white foam that holds very well and leaves good lacing. Clean aroma of golden, grainy malt and herbal hops with just a hint of yeasty sulphur. Medium-light in body with a crisp carbonation. Flavor delivers solid grainy malt peppered with herbal and gently spicy hops backed by a solid bitterness. Lingering dry finish with herbal hops and some residual malt.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was actually a nice Pilsener (has that crisp, snappy flavor) and I'm surprised it's not rated higher. The beers were a little old, and yet I though they was a fine example of the style.

3.71/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine half finger white head with great retention and nice lacing. A little skunk on opening the bottle even though it is a sensible brown bottle. Aroma of pilsner malt, grain, grassy hops, a touch of lemon and skunk; a pretty standard pilsner profile. Flavor is grainy biscuit and pilsner malt, a touch of adjunct style sweet malt, grassy hops and mild lemon. Finishes with mellow grainy, but not husky malt and grassy hops with a slight tartness. Medium bodied with light creaminess and good carbonation. I suspect a somewhat older bottle here, particularly from the skunkiness, which should not happen in a short period of time in a brown bottle, but given that, this is a nice mellow tasting, classic German pilsner with a to-style grainy malt and continental hops. A slight lemon tartness in the finish balances with the malt. I'm not sure why this is getting such low scores, because even this probably old bottle tastes pretty good and while a little on the mellow side, is a satisfying pilsner.

3.69/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev +9.8%

Light pale gold, no head. Relatively clear. A lager that looks like a lager.

A sweetish smell from the malt profile. Minimal hops. Taste has a deep maltiness not expected from the look, finishes sweeter than most.

A drinkable pilsner, with a good kick but a bit sweet for the style. Not great but pretty good.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%

22 ounce bottle stamped 5-2007. Picked up Jerry's Liquor in Rapids. First time I had ever seen this pils, and first time (I think) that I have had an Austrian beer.

Midway between straw and gold in color. A little paler than other pilsners that I have had recenly. Strong head.

Delicate aroma and flavor of hops. Not really sure of the type. I need to practice my palate a bit on that topic.

Weak malt aroma. Some malt flavor, but not it is not quite up to the level of malt I seem to like in other pilsners. I'm wondering if this reflects differences in ingredients or the mash (e.g., decoctions).

A little bitterness hits me at the finish, about the same time that the malt flavors register. In this sense, it is nicely balanced.

Very clean with regard to esters.

Crisp and light in body, maybe a little thinner than I would like, but maybe I haven't explored the style very well. I'll say average.

Increasingly, I find myself enjoying pilsners This one would not be my favorite but it is enjoyable. It wasn't a bad buy, either -- 4 imported bombers for 8 bucks.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hirter Privat Pils from Brauerei Hirt GmbH