Road 2 Ruin | Two Roads Brewing Company

Two Roads Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
tworoadsbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A big, hoppy IPA with plenty of bite! Our assertive, hop-centric Double IPA has a lean malt backdrop and is brewed with four American hop varieties – Summit, Palisade, Cascade and Magnum. Piney, citrus, floral, not-for-the-timid!

Added by alexgash on 12-21-2012

Ratings: 1,207 |  Reviews: 189
3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. brown bottle. No date.

A: Typical deep amber with a large off white head. Nice lacing and good retention.

S: Sweet malt. Hops. Citric. Not as strong as I expect from this style. More fruity less
hoppy. Still nice.

T/M: Sweet malts, sugar, citric hops. Has a solid bite. Earthy malts and grains. Solid
balance, smooth, light carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well. Aftertaste is clean with a
faint sweetness. Overall more juicy than hoppy, but does have enough bitterness to
keep me happy.

O: It has great drinkability but lacks in the hop bite that is needed to make
a great DIPA. It reminds me more of just a plain IPA. Still a must try.

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz. bottle purchased in CT in late 1/13 (no birth date), poured into my tasting 3Fs Teku long-stemmed glass, drank 3/12/13 over ~one hour.

A: 3.5 - amber-brown coloration, moderate clarity for a DIPA with little hop haze, whitish frothy 1 finger head that lingers into an attractive rim lacing, imperceptible alcohol legs

S: 2.5 - herbal/spice/floral notes with bready/toffee malt backbone, very little of the classic PW hop aroma that I've come to expect from an imperial IPA, suspect that it's not dry hopped and could certainly benefit from more at flame out too, unfortunately below average for style

T: 3.25 - surprising pop of bitterness on the anterior tongue, bitterness, citrus/grapefruit flavors (likely Cascade and Summit) on the posterior tongue and in the aftertase, moderate alcohol notes

M: 3.5 - medium body, moderate carbonation

O: 3 - Two Roads markets this as an imperial IPA, but, clocking in at 7.2%, it's really a single IPA, and, as much as I want to support new breweries in CT, I just wasn't impressed with this offering,. For the price, there are better single IPAs from breweries on both coasts. It's certainly drinkable, and I think that this would have been a good IPA ten years ago. Now, unfortunately for Roads 2 Ruin, there is just too much competition out there for this beer to be relevant for an IPA lover. There is not enough hop/aroma flavor for the unpleasant amount of bitterness on the anterior tongue and in the aftertaste for me to want to buy another bomber.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a small grower I filled from a fresh and local keg a few hours ago....

Pours hazed almond amber, sturdy light tan head, stays forever and leaves rich sheeting and fields of frothy stick.

Resin, pine, leafy hops on the nose

Citric hops in place, plentiful grapefruit, lime, and pepper, over a base flavor profile of resiny and quite dry hops. Rich layers of hoppy goodness. This is a very solid DIPA. Nice to try a brew from one of Connicticut's newer breweries.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a bright nearly neon orange with a massive overflowing fluffy whitish orange head. Lacing all over the glass.

S: Aroma of a very bitter ipa. Not an overwhelming mass of citrus or pine, just bitter. Smell of some caramel and apple.

T: Bitter DIPA here, not a surprise, but slightly let down on the floral notes. Yeah its bitter, but its not refreshingly great to drink. Its more or less an English DIPA to me as the hops are not so much Citrus or pine as they are melon and apple from what I can pick up over the bitterness and caramel flavors.

M: Medium body with a lot of carbonation.

O: Slightly let down on my expectations as I thought their Honeyspot Road IPA was great as was their Saison which was very bitter. I think this is a letdown only because it is in the large format bottle and had me expecting more for a $5 bomber. Either way, still worth the $5 and hoping that they round this out a little better in the next few batches that they crank out and the recipe changes a bit to adjust the flavor here.

3.02/5  rDev -23%

Well, I am a huge dipa fan. I've been seeing this brewery around lately and thought I'd try their dipa a try

I got a moderate citrusy note on the nose. The beer pOured a nice orangey color. The white head was about a finger and a half and collapsed quickly

The beer was not as advertised as it seemed more malty than dipay.
I got some ruff malt with basic bitterness from the hops with little other hop flavor.

Like a bitter amber to me
Drinkable though.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Clear apricot colored with an inch high head of rocky beige foam that leaves craters and lingers long. Inviting aroma of tangerine and red grapefruit, slight orange rind note. Bright flavor of citrusy hops, orange rind pith, tangerine, and pine. Great citrusy hops flavors all around. Moderate to sharp bitterness, good balance to the honied malt flavors riding beneath, but make no mistake - this one's all about the hops. Moderate mouthfeel, slightly dry, piney finish. Great beer.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle. Pours a murky burnt orange with sediment floating around and an inch of frothy head. Lots of lacing. The aroma is a sweet mix of hops. Sweet citrus and floral hops. The taste is a nice amount of floral hops upfront followed by some bitter citrus peel. Not super hoppy but a good amount of bitterness throughout. Some cut grass and floral hops towards the end. At 7.2% this one falls in that grey area of the IPA vs. Imperial Ipa. Regardless, its a solid beer. Medium amount of carbonation. Easy drinking beer for sure. Overall, nice to see a new(er) CT brewery make a solid IPA. I will be buying more of this.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a total surprise. We had just brought this beer along with a few others from Two Roads.
I really didnt know what to expect. It was really nice to see we are making better and better beers in Connecticut.

I had this beer at the start of Super Bowl 45. The pour was somewhat of a dirty amber. Didn't look real clean, but there was nothing foggy about it. Just to me, the color was strange.

The aroma was so very nice. Boy, do I love to put my nose inside a glass of super IBU IPAs.

At the first sip, my nose didn; let down my palate. This beer had all the typical bouquets of a fresh IPA, the citrus, grapefruit and perhaps apple/melon. Once the beer hit my tongue it started to bounce around my mouth. Sort of my built in reaction to hoppy beers. It was close to a perfect nose/taste that I've had, especially in a beer I really didnt know about.

The after taste was just as rewarding as the first taste. My bomber size of Road 2 Ruin was finished almost before the Ravens built up a strong lead.

A gem in CT