Conntucky Lightnin' Bourbon Ale | Two Roads Brewing Company

Two Roads Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
tworoadsbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

The Connecticut Yankees of Two Roads have CONNjured up this moonshine inspired bourbon-like ale. Using good ol' USA corn grits and aged in real bourbon barrels from a famous Kentucky distillery, this unique CONNcoction includes notes of whiskey, oak and vanilla. It should make your taste buds happier than a pig in "____"

Added by Jason on 05-08-2013

2.25/5  rDev -39%

2.26/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Picked up at the wine and spirits co. These have been on their shelves for a couple weeks now. Honestly, the labeling of this kept me away for a while as it sounded like too much of one flavor going into the beer. Corn grits and then bourbon barrels? Why both?! Was it too cheap to make it with just one?

As such, my hopes for this continued to be pretty low after I popped the cork. Aroma was boozy, with little to detect other than a fierce bitterness and corn grain alcohol. Poured exceedingly foamy with decent retention. Nice lookin' beer, at least.

Overall, it had a pretty bland american ale/strong ale body to it but with a very bitter kick of starchiness that dominated the entire palate. This beer did not let too many nuances peek their little heads out from the pillow of bitter corniness. Finish was unpleasant and it took a while to clear out the taste. Yet I still had more. Maybe the profile would change as it warmed? Nope. Even worse.

Tastes stronger than it is, which is impressive at 8.5%. Sure it's different, and a flavor profile several highway lanes from anything I've never had before. The bottle hints at hick dialect and moonshine culture and I'll be damned if this doesn't fit the bill. Yet, while living in the south, I had two types of moonshine: straight corn, and fruited. It can almost go unsaid that I preferred the latter; people don't drink the former for taste. To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't taste this beer on the way out.

I realize this is meant to be my own review but the bottle was shared in small amounts with several friends, each of whom had a markedly negative response to the flavor. Not worth it for ME at any price, let alone the $14. None of us had the impression that there were any oxidation issues.

Barrel-aging lighter beers seems to be a relatively new thing, at least locally. To be honest, a lot of the $14-20+ 750s I've had should have been brewed at least one more time as a test batch before being produced en masse. As much as I want to support the explorations of the breweries in this state, releasing something this unbalanced really turns me off to making another investment into a big bottle until I've gone out of my way finding a bar that has it on draft for a sample.

This is literally one of the worst craft beers I have ever had and THE WORST barrel-aged beer I have bought at a store and its sole personal merit was its creativity.

2.28/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

750 ml bottle. Hazy amber body, no head or retention. Boring, flat looking beer. Aromas of wood, corn, pale malt, wet wood. Flavor is corn, wet wood and no real bourbon anywhere here at all. What a complete disappointment of a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

2.68/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

What a let down, it was just basic beer taste, like any standard american domestic. What a waste of $17, I'm not even sure the abv was as stated on the bottle at 8.5%. Just completely lacking

2.84/5  rDev -23%

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Whiskey, oak, bourbon barrels? I don't get any of that... this is like a light amber ale with a bit of artificial vanilla flavor at the end of the sip. Reminds me of Anheuser-Busch jumping the barrel-aged wagon.

Those American grits used in the mash sound interesting, but they smell and taste like cheap Budweiser mass-produced corn.

Truly forgettable and underwhelming, with a thin body to boot.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

3.17/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%