No Limits Hefeweizen | Two Roads Brewing Company

Two Roads Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
tworoadsbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Brewmaster Phil Markowski has taken a “bahn” less traveled to create our version of the classic Bavarian wheat brew –perfect for the warming temperatures. Beautifully cloudy with a generous head of foam, a wonderful fruit aroma and a dry finish, our Hefeweizen is a refreshing version of the original; with just a little bit more of everything.

Added by Jason on 05-29-2013

Liked:
3.74/5
Alströms:
3.9

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Thin. Drinks more like a kellerweiss. Banana ester emphasis.

C / AVERAGE

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Arrives with a hazy goldenstraw color; not nearly enough head for the style and very little lacing

Smell: Wheat bread, banana, apple and clove

Taste: Just a hint of wheat bread and then the fruits dominate, with apple and banana paired together; lots of clove arrive in the mid-palate with peppery spice bringing up the rear

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation; lacks that creamy mouthfeel I like in a hefe

Overall: I like the few tweaks this brew brings to the style, but I would prefer more banana and a creamier mouthfeel in a nod to the traditional aspects

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Two Roads Brewing Company "No Limits Hefeweizen"
16 fl. oz. can, code is illegible but looks like "10/10/15" on 04/28/16
$3.75 @ The Beer Shoppe, Ardmore, PA

I don't normally use the proper glassware for reviewing a beer, but for this one I did given it so greatly affects head retention (although I'll admit to using a smaller .3 liter version).

First person/real time: Banana is apparent as I pour. The head is easy to keep in check, and I need to rough it up a bit to get a full head. The head drops fairly readily despite the rising plumes of fine bubbles below, yet it maintains a solid creamy cap. It's a hazy golden in color, and a swirl of the can and secondary pour doesn't seem to deliver any more yeast. Yes, banana, clove, and sweetish wheat in the nose. I don't get the phenols found in a Weihenstephaner, nor do I see it as quite like Spaten's Franziskaner, but I peg it about halfway between - which really means nothing other than that, I'm not trying to determine their yeast, just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. It's soft and smooth in the flavor, adding a note of vanilla that softens it a bit. It's sweetish but not sweet, and there's an edge of 'spice' that helps to balance it. Hmmm, I've just drained the can and I've still got a full 0,3 l in front of me. At this point the head is starting to become whispy in parts, although it remains solid; and the lacing is limited. There's more fruit to it than just banana, and I'm getting juicy apple and plum, perhaps even a touch of pear - also a hint of background lemon. It's almost pleasant enough just to smell it rather than drink it! Of course I'm drawn back, and it's one of those really drinkable weizens that just compels you, through whatever means, to keep taking another sip. (If only the weather hadn't suddenly turned bleak and cold, I might imagine myself on a sun-shaded lawn atop the bierkellar). The balance leans towards sweetness but that's a matter of taste, and I'd say it's rather impeccable, as are almost all of the beers from Two Roads. There are background hops to it, gently herbal and grassy, and perhaps even spicy - although that's probably coming from the yeast. Looking at the current BeerAdvocate score of "83 good" with 39 reviews I'm quite surprised. I've had weizens in Germany that haven't matched it in terms of balance and overall flavor; and although I will say that I'd like a bit more carbonation to it (and with that comes just a flicker more of acidity), I can certainly understand why it's carbonation is limited. I'll be needing a case of this at least, and perhaps a keg, unless of course it's cheaper to actually buy an import. Really nicely done.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bananas, wheat, light caramelized malts, some citrus and some hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and thin malt character. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of bananas, citrus and caramel. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth but not very crisp and kind of watery, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style. It’s a decent beer but there are a lot of other choices in the style that I would pick first.

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy golden color with a white head that goes away completely. Aroma has wheat and a tart, lime note. Taste is also slightly tart with wheat and some spicy yeast esters. Medium-light body with crisp carbonation. Not bad but it's nowhere near a traditional hefeweizen.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

I was up in NYC last weekend to finally meet the great JenRay in person after oh-so-many CAN Trades with her in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I even scored some new CANs over the course of the afternoon! What a coup.

From the CAN: "2R:HEF3"; "Take the Bahn Less Traveled"; "Here's to taking the road less traveled, in life and in beer!"

The Crack! was music to mine ears, but an inverted Glug was not to be since it was a pint CAN and this was a super-carbonated beer and foam was its middle name. I have to admit, though, the two-plus finger cap of dense, bone-white head looked like the top of a lemon meringue pie. I was a little disappointed by the beer's presentation, though, as it was hazy but not cloudy. Color was a light lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose was kind of muted, but the banana and pink bubble gum was there. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very muted for the style. Bubble gum was the main flavor, but it just lacked Oomph. I kept agitating the CAN in the hopes of stirring up some lees, but it was not happening. Finish was watery, semi-dry, moderately disappointing in total. I do not know if they filtered it (I hope not), but I think that they could leave more yeast in it to make the flavors more pronounced.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16oz tallboy can with no freshness date.

Look: Cloudy pale yellow, great looking lacing on the glass

Smell: Banana taffy, powdered clove, chalky yeast, apple skin, bready, faint bandaid

Taste: Big crispness, very smooth, clove, plantains, spice, banana pith, doughy malt, mild bubblegum, light hopping, grainy finish, ends nearly all the way dry

Hits all of the bells and whistles and then some, perhaps not as mellow as some but none of its attributes are more than any other. Seek it out if you are into wheat beers.

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The American Craft Beer Fest Yesterday.
Bready grainy with hints of banana, not bad.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

No Limits Hefeweizen from Two Roads Brewing Company