No Limits Hefeweizen | Two Roads Brewing Company

Two Roads Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
tworoadsbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Brewmaster Phil Markowski has taken a “bahn” less traveled to create our version of the classic Bavarian wheat brew –perfect for the warming temperatures. Beautifully cloudy with a generous head of foam, a wonderful fruit aroma and a dry finish, our Hefeweizen is a refreshing version of the original; with just a little bit more of everything.

Added by Jason on 05-29-2013

3.9

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can.

Deep gold / light amber and hazy, not cloudy, with a medium white head. The head is small for a hefeweizen and - despite the lively carbonation - does not show great retention. Banana and clove are there in the aroma, but do not jump out at you. This one leads a little towards the spicy side of things as opposed to fruity. Body is medium-light but feels a little thin for the style. No off-flavors but could use some tweaking to get it more in line with the creamier, fuller, tastier versions that I love so much.

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange-tinted yellow color with two fat fingers of fluffy white head that's quick to dissipate to nothing. Strong banana aroma with hints of vanilla and gold cake. These continue up front in the taste, but it falls off on the back end to just mild banana flavor. Fairly flat mouthfeel, on the thick side of thin-bodied.

Stamped 4/17/15 on the bottom of the can. Normally I wouldn't review a hefeweizen this old, but I bought a boxed four-pack today that had no date on it at all. If that's the way they're going to sell their products, I consider it fair game. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better fresh.

3.64/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a hazy yellow. Not as much head as I'd expect, but about 2 fingers of white head. Some patchy lacing.

S: Some banana, bread, cloves.

T: Follows the nose. Some lemon peel. A little tartness in the end.

F: Light to medium body, light to medium carbonation.

O: A decent hefe but not top notch like SN or the great german ones i've had. But it made for a nice drink on a hot humid day.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Two Roads Brewing Company "No Limits Hefeweizen"
16 fl. oz. can, code is illegible but looks like "10/10/15" on 04/28/16
$3.75 @ The Beer Shoppe, Ardmore, PA

I don't normally use the proper glassware for reviewing a beer, but for this one I did given it so greatly affects head retention (although I'll admit to using a smaller .3 liter version).

First person/real time: Banana is apparent as I pour. The head is easy to keep in check, and I need to rough it up a bit to get a full head. The head drops fairly readily despite the rising plumes of fine bubbles below, yet it maintains a solid creamy cap. It's a hazy golden in color, and a swirl of the can and secondary pour doesn't seem to deliver any more yeast. Yes, banana, clove, and sweetish wheat in the nose. I don't get the phenols found in a Weihenstephaner, nor do I see it as quite like Spaten's Franziskaner, but I peg it about halfway between - which really means nothing other than that, I'm not trying to determine their yeast, just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. It's soft and smooth in the flavor, adding a note of vanilla that softens it a bit. It's sweetish but not sweet, and there's an edge of 'spice' that helps to balance it. Hmmm, I've just drained the can and I've still got a full 0,3 l in front of me. At this point the head is starting to become whispy in parts, although it remains solid; and the lacing is limited. There's more fruit to it than just banana, and I'm getting juicy apple and plum, perhaps even a touch of pear - also a hint of background lemon. It's almost pleasant enough just to smell it rather than drink it! Of course I'm drawn back, and it's one of those really drinkable weizens that just compels you, through whatever means, to keep taking another sip. (If only the weather hadn't suddenly turned bleak and cold, I might imagine myself on a sun-shaded lawn atop the bierkellar). The balance leans towards sweetness but that's a matter of taste, and I'd say it's rather impeccable, as are almost all of the beers from Two Roads. There are background hops to it, gently herbal and grassy, and perhaps even spicy - although that's probably coming from the yeast. Looking at the current BeerAdvocate score of "83 good" with 39 reviews I'm quite surprised. I've had weizens in Germany that haven't matched it in terms of balance and overall flavor; and although I will say that I'd like a bit more carbonation to it (and with that comes just a flicker more of acidity), I can certainly understand why it's carbonation is limited. I'll be needing a case of this at least, and perhaps a keg, unless of course it's cheaper to actually buy an import. Really nicely done.

3.69/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Nice beer! Tried it in the springtime. Would be a beautiful summer porch beer. Great taste! Had it will burgers and moo shu egg rolls. So lovely!

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

4.59/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

No Limits Hefeweizen from Two Roads Brewing Company