Heavy Boots Of Lead

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Heavy Boots Of LeadHeavy Boots Of Lead
Notes: OUR BIGGEST BEER TO DATE, created in the great magnetic field. Super complex richness of mega-chocolate, roast, vanilla and coffee in an astonishingly smooth monster of a brew.
Reviews: 116 | Ratings: 426 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz undated can.

Pours opaque black with an inch of brown foam. Minor retention and lacing. Oreo shells, dark coffee beans, and bakers chocolate in the nose. Full bodied with a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. Rich chocolate and char on the palate. Brownie batter over chocolate cake. Finishes roasty with loads of cocoa and not too sweet.

4.06/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours black with a thin tan head that settled to a ring and left no lacing. Smells of roasted malts, dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee and a bit of char. Taste has more char than the smell would suggest otherwise the taste follows the nose with additional notes of cocoa and wood. Light bodied for an imperial stout, very light carbonation, creamy mouth feel with a dry finish.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a jet black no light getting thru this baby, with a nice thumb sized coco colored head that falls slowly and laces well given the abv.

Aroma is nice smooth big roasted malts, a big chocolate loads of vanilla and caramel mingled with some coffee thrown in for good measure. Smells rich and creamy like a nice slice of tiramisu.

Taste is nice not quite as smooth and creamy as the nose made it out to be. Got the big roasted notes might be slightly too roasted lightly charred seems to bring out the coffee notes before the sweeter chocolate and vanilla, not sure that makes sense its all there just differently proportioned then the nose.

Mouthfeel is big medium approaching full carbonation level is on the lower side which is good. Just not quite as full as you would expect for the 11%

Overall nose is wonderful taste is pretty damn good even if its a little short of wonderful. That being said if this was available locally I would probably pick some up on occasion.

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from pint glass into 9 ounce arome glass.
Look: Dark black with minimal (less than 1/4 of a finger) head.
Smell: Strong hints of chocolate.
Taste: Hints of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. Tasty sweet flavor.
Feel: Essentially no carbonation detected. Creamy goodness.
Overall: Definitely a great-smelling and very tasty imperial stout that I would try again.

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance - Pours jet black with a nice mocha colored head that settles quickly to a thin ring. No lacing.

Aroma - Bakers chocolate, vanilla, caramel, cocoa, hint of char, some sweet maple.

Taste - Much more smoke and char in the taste. Nice bitter semi sweet chocolate, vanilla, oak, really woody.

Feel - Medium bodied smooth nice creamy feel. Dry finish.

Overall - Really well done stout nose is sweet taste is smoky and char which I really enjoy.

3.86/5  rDev -10%

Pours a three-finger brown head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Black color no highlights. Good carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Nose is chocolate, flavor is baked chocolate and vanilla which mellows as it warms. Higher ABV 11.0%, is hidden. Not cheap at $6.75 for a 16oz can from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

It's not bad, if I wanted a slightly sweet stout I'd get it again. My palate is in a very strange place, I had a salad with balsamic and oil, then a slice of pizza, then a juicy NE IPA, so there was a definite period of adjustment

3.42/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

My scoring for this beer was all over the place. The look and smell were up there but the taste and feel were down. The feel dried my mouth out a little and the taste was too forward w dark bitter chocolate. Glad I tried it

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Undated can into pint glass. Pours a very dark, viscous brown with a substantial dark tan head. Initial impression is chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and vanilla. Mouthfeel is a little on tthe thin side for an Imperial Stout; carbonation is just about perfect. Alcohol is dangerously well hidden. Finish is semi-sweet chocolate and a touch of coffee. Overall, a very good - but not quite great - Imperial Stout.

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Heavy milky thick chocolate froth topping forms over a viscose oily, black pour. Two inch moderately holding head leaves no glass decoration. Heavy and hearty appearance.

S: Dried chocolate, powdered milk, along with some roasted walnuts. Powder cocoa, medium strength with a soft charred soot finish.

T: Flavor of dark and bitter roasted chocolate has rich coffee highlights and a good edge. Roasted bitterness, earthy scorched flair, dried vanilla has a bit of roasted walnut shells. Leaving with a earthy soot coating on the tongue.

M: Milky thick mouthful, roasted bitterness lies on the tongue. No carbonation texture, turns frothy with a earthy soot warming on the inner cheeks.

O: Huge roasted bitterness, heavy and hearty feel and mouthful, with a earthy soot warming. recommend.

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Canned towards the end of January. Deep, dark brown, virtually black body. Poured aggressively and generated about a quarter inch of mocha brown head that faded quickly leaving a thin ring of foam around the edge, no lacing to speak of. Smells of dark roasted malts, molasses, vanilla and unsweetened chocolate. Taste is similar but there is a little more sweetness on the finish. Full body and decent carbonation. A little pricey but, for an occasional splurge this is a delicious beer.

3.81/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black from the can with almost no head. Aroma of roasted malt and vanilla. Taste is bitter chocolate and light notes of dark fruit. Feel is okay for an imperial stout, not very thick but not to light. Overall, it’s a decent Imperial Stout, but there are better options.

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep black with a multiple finger mocha head. Taste of chocholate and coffee with a pretty intense bitterness. A bit strong for my liking compared to other stouts of this genre.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

I've had this aging for a year in my cellar. Last night my gf and I cracked it open. Both of us could not make it through a glass really did not like the after taste. Perhaps fresh it taste better? Dissappointed. It was a malt bomb soaked in pepper, overwhelming.

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very good imperial stout with a mountain of dark chocolate followed by roast coffee and vanilla notes. A little too much bitterness on the backend keeps me from rating this beer higher. Any honestly, it's at a higher price point than my favorite barrel-aged stouts.

Welcome back to my Happy Picking Up Where I Left Off During The Last New Beer Sundays (Week 726)! I have several more new CANs from SingleCut which I picked up during my most recent expedition to The Beer & Beverage Shoppe.

From the CAN: "Rulpsen says: 'Come visit our brewery!"; "Mastery Knows No Shortcut"; "SingleCut Beersmiths is proud to maintain the American tradition of beer locally made from craft by zealots/lunatics who believe hard work, truth, pride and passion should always come before profit."; "Imperial Stout"; "55 IBU".

I KNOW that The CANQuest (tm) has arrived when a single-o CAN needs to have a price disclaimer on and around it! Yeah, this was spendy, but still better than a bomber. Did I hesitate? Briefly.

I was really anxious to Crack! the vent on this one simply because I CAN't wait to see what I got. I beCAN with a slow, gentle Glug & then went for the gusto. It made a pseudo-cascade before forming two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head with fantastic retention. Now, by "deep-brown", I mean the deepest, darkest head that I have ever seen! Color was beyond Black/Opaque (SRM = 44). It was like a black hole, sucking light out of the room & into the glass! 8=O What have I done?!? Nose smelled like straight up Navy coffee through a spent oil filter with a layer of baker's chocolate for good measure.

How do I know? I am a retired USN PO1 & we used to make coffee however we could, especially at Battle Stations. Water? Check? Purloined tin of coffee? Check. Coffee maker? Check. Filter? Uh oh. Hey, there's a filter in this generator that we didn't pull out after the last PMS check. 8=O Gimme a knife, let's cut that bad boy down to size! It's fulla oil. Okay, then you don't get any coffee! Here, you let ME handle that knife! That filter's too precious to f**k it up at this point!

And now, for a taste … Mouthfeel was full, viscous, slick & oily! OMFG! 10W40 had nothing on this! I could feel my insides lubing up nicely. The taste was incredible, the rhyme animal, bringing the noise when they told me "UnCANnable"! Bringing the noise! Bro. Woody's a prophet & you oughtta lissen to what he CAN say to you! Bringing the noise. OMFG! If my first sip of Oskar Blues' TenFidy in a CAN was a revelaCAN, then this was the SeCANd CANming! This was the s**t that Great Cathy wanted but couldn't get in her lifetime, yo. This brought the whole package - bitter, sweet, bittersweet, chocolate, charcoal, chard, charred, smoke, jamoke, mocha & make me, mofo. I had a laff riot in my mouth, ppl swinging, singing & otherwise bringing! Bringing the noise! It was hittin', splittin', spittin' & gettin' the rhythm. Bringing the noise! I may have once been the undercover Cyberleader, but these Heavy Boots of Lead put me & mine to shame.

Warming, it was like a sweatbox up in this jawnt, yo! Bringing the noise! I felt like I had smoked an entire carton of Camel unfiltereds, yo & I wasn't even a quarter in! Bringing the noise! Pump the miracle! Turn it up! Bring the noise! Get out your seat! This beer is bringing the noise! Holy cigar city, Batman! Hey, that's a different brewery so don't be robbin', Robin! Still, the finish was like the aftermath of a Macanudo Maduro, my preferred stogie. Dark, chocolaty, smoky & not likely to abate any time soon! Yeah, throw this inna cooler & see what happens! It is on the verge of prohibitively spendy, but how many will you need … Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a proven winner!

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a thick motor oil color with one inch of dark tan head. Roasted notes, cocoa, burnt malts, and dark chocolate. Thick full body. Overal a nice stout but very strong taste.

3.99/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'd definitely categorize this as a RIS. Dark fruit abounds before you're assaulted by malty char bitterness that goes on and on. Vanilla in the nose, but very little on the palette (says brewed with vanilla on the can). I like that this comes on strong, and does it's own thing. Good offering, barrel aging would give it a touch of sweetness it needs to balance the bitter, then you really have something here.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour is as black as midnight, with a creamy, rich tan head. The nose is filled with dark chocolate and a spicy note that is similar to Dark Lord. That’s a good thing, IMHO.

The taste is rich and decadent - dark chocolate, bushels of stone fruit, toasty char - and that sweetness that is in line with Dark Lord. I couldn’t be more impressed with this beer. World-class, IMHO.

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured at 50ish degrees into a tulip glass.

Near-black with impressive mocha head retention and lacing.

The nose is leather, dark chocolate, peanut butter, and cherry.

The taste is very smooth for 11%. Probably one of the more balanced and cohesive imperial stouts I've had. Milk and dark chocolate, cherry, and nuttiness.

The mouthfeel is medium.

Overall: The nose eventually gives me some savory soy sauce, which I don't love, but the taste is spot-on throughout. Balanced and tasty.

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black. Thick, medium brown head that Fades slowly to a rocky cap.

Smells dark chocolate, caramel, roast malt, dark fruit and vanilla.

Taste roast malt, dark chocolate, caramel, light earthy bitterness, dark fruit, vanilla hints and a hint of char. Finish is dry with a roasty and Char linger. Full body and creamy lower carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a bottle from Ma and Pa’s in Alton, NY... poured a beautiful black as sin beer with a fluffy rich mocha head. Only lasted a moment after first sip but generous lace.
I left out to warm a bit and complexity was all around. Nose had more dark dried fruit than I expected. Really good but not really the malt or roast I’d place with a stout. Flavor was more Imp Stout like... roastiness and vanilla bitterness came through with some dark chocolate. Rich full flavored but molasses and fig fruit still dominant. Some astringency in after taste.
Feel was so in my wheelhouse... full and chewy. Velvet going down.
All in all an interesting and very good brew. Then consider a very approachable price point. Would recommend this beer and these brewers without hesitation. Already like their Fullstack DIPA. Will definitely be looking at whatever these guys come out with.

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a very nice dark color with a nice tan head and lacing
A-Aroma has abundant coffee, chocolate and roast notes
T-The taste follows the nose with nicely balanced coffee, chocolate and roast flavors
M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
O-A very well balanced beer

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle received courtesy of beerloserLI. No obvious date on the bottle, but at 11% I'm not too worried about it's age.

Poured into an Iron Goat snifter, this was glorious looking. Virtually black in color, with no concession whatsoever when held up to light. Big, dark mocha colored head that dropped somewhat quickly but never entirely went away and left some "beer neglige " style lace.

As I poured it, my kitchen suddenly smelled as though I was making chocolate chip cookies or brownies. As it warmed, I got elements of brown sugar, soy sauce, prunes, molasses, vanilla and tobacco as well.

The taste pretty much resembled the nose, except that the more bitter aspects of what was noted above gain the upper hand in the taste. It's quite good, but not quite as well balanced as the nose led me to hope for. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden.

Full body, with a sticky, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Doesn't quite fully deliver the promise of the looks and aroma, but still a lovely beer that I would absolutely hit again. An excellent dessert beer. Thanks, Brian!

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bee-yootee-full dark rich chocolate color with nice thick creamy head. Lovely rich molasses and chocolate aroma. Taste follows the nose with a BIG dose of molasses and a slight chocolate taste with a lot of alcohol that screams strong beer. It doesn't really seem to take on the rye flavor of the whiskey barrel. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected and I think it's the alcohol strength. Overall a fabulous beer. I enjoy the molasses flavors of this style of beer. A special Thanks to PatrickCT and tasterschoice62.

Heavy Boots Of Lead from SingleCut Beersmiths